|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Howard wants Alice to get ______________________.
(a) Professional help.
(b) Some new clothes.
(c) A pilot's license.
(d) A used car.
2. Alice is compared to which fictional character?
(a) Becky Thatcher.
(b) Anna Karenina.
(c) Jane Eyre.
(d) Scarlett O'Hara.
3. Alice is in jail in which town?
4. Alice meets a young __________________ minister whom she considers a phony.
5. What does Howard's mother tell him he needs to buy?
(a) Bunk beds for the girls.
(b) A new suit.
(c) A new car.
(d) Flowers for Alice.
6. What is Theresa doing when Alice sees her?
7. Alice wishes that Howard could _____________________.
(a) Write love letters.
(b) Tell better jokes.
(c) Sense her pain.
(d) Leave her alone.
8. When does the enormity of Lizzy's death hit Howard?
(a) While tucking his daughters in at night.
(b) While doing his farmwork.
(c) In the middle of the night.
(d) In front of her coffin.
9. Where does Alice live?
(a) Sioux Falls.
(c) Prairie Center.
10. What does Susannah Brooks do when Howard asks her to watch the girls?
(a) Agrees to help.
(b) Slams down the phone.
(c) Curses at him.
(d) Quotes scripture to him.
11. Where does Lizzy die?
(a) At school.
(b) In the street.
(c) In her father's arms.
(d) In her room
12. Which attorney does Alice want Howard to call?
(a) Donald Mulligan.
(b) Paul Rafferty.
(c) Edward Pearson.
(d) James Hall.
13. Why had Alice had a confrontation with Mrs. Mackessy?
(a) She did not vote for the school levy.
(b) She said derogatory things about Claire.
(c) She hit her car in the parking lot.
(d) She sent her son to school when he was very ill.
14. Who is the principal of Blackwell Elementary?
(a) Marty Caskey.
(b) Gus Gilbert.
(c) Steve Jacoby.
(d) David Henskin.
15. Which of the following does Howard NOT tell Alice on the ride home from the funeral?
(a) How sad the tiny coffin was.
(b) To forget Glevitch.
(c) To go to bed.
(d) To make dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which student had Alice slapped in a moment of extreme frustration?
2. Alice has to attend a school board meeting to discuss ______________________.
3. To whom had Alice reported her slapping a student?
4. Howard urges Alice to bear up for _____________________.
5. Where does Alice go when she runs out of the school board meeting?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)