|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lizzy's family practices what religion?
2. What does Howard's mother tell him he needs to buy?
(a) Bunk beds for the girls.
(b) A new suit.
(c) Flowers for Alice.
(d) A new car.
3. What does Howard think about while waiting to see Alice in jail?
(a) Swimming naked with her.
(b) The day they met.
(c) Last Christmas.
(d) Their wedding day.
4. What does Alice make Howard promise he will not do?
(a) Leave the girls with Nellie.
(b) Sell the car.
(c) Bring the girls to the jail.
(d) Divorce her.
5. What does Alice think of Carol?
(a) She is a good influence on the neighbor kids.
(b) She lives below community moral standards.
(c) She is her best friend.
(d) She has potential to be a great singer.
6. What does Howard think about the prayers at the hospital?
(a) They can't hurt.
(b) They are guiding Lizzy into the next world.
(c) They are a waste of time.
(d) They are necessary for consolation.
7. Alice feels that she and Theresa are friends just like two characters in which classic television show?
(b) Leave it to Beaver.
(c) All in the Family.
(d) The Dick Van Dyke Show.
8. Who is the woman who gossips at the funeral?
(a) Mrs. R.L. Shroyer.
(b) Mrs. C.A. Hall.
(c) Mrs. C.L. Goodpaster.
(d) Mrs. M.L. Glevitch.
9. About what does Howard try to assure Alice?
(a) That she has the talent to play piano.
(b) That she will get the new job.
(c) That she is still beautiful.
(d) That no one blames her for Lizzy's death.
10. Who is Alice's mother-in-law?
11. Alice has had no grounding in __________________.
(a) Formal religious tradition.
(b) Music education.
(c) Ethical behavior.
(d) Higher education.
12. Where does Alice go when she runs out of the school board meeting?
(a) The restroom.
(b) Her car.
13. How supportive is Howard as Alice worries about attending the funeral?
(a) He tries but falls short.
(b) He is of no help.
(c) He is overly attentive.
(d) He knows the perfect thing to say.
14. What had been Alice's version of church while growing up?
(a) Sitting by a stream.
(b) Listening to music.
(c) Folk dancing with her aunt.
15. Who are Alice's daughters?
(a) Amy and Suzanne.
(b) Emma and Claire.
(c) Emma and Sara.
(d) Allison and Claire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Theresa doing when Alice sees her?
2. Alice sees herself as ____________________.
3. Alice is compared to which fictional character?
4. Where does Alice work?
5. Which student had Alice slapped in a moment of extreme frustration?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)