|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alice is sure that God could not let __________________.
(a) Emma have leukemia.
(b) A toddler die.
(c) A tornado destroy the town.
(d) Howard leave her.
2. What does Susannah Brooks do when Howard asks her to watch the girls?
(a) Agrees to help.
(b) Slams down the phone.
(c) Curses at him.
(d) Quotes scripture to him.
3. What does Alice make Howard promise he will not do?
(a) Leave the girls with Nellie.
(b) Divorce her.
(c) Sell the car.
(d) Bring the girls to the jail.
4. Who is Alice's mother-in-law?
5. Who is Alice's husband?
6. Howard urges Alice to bear up for _____________________.
(a) Their marriage.
(b) The sake of their daughters.
(c) Her own self esteem.
(d) Public appearances.
7. Which of the following does Howard NOT tell Alice on the ride home from the funeral?
(a) To go to bed.
(b) To forget Glevitch.
(c) To make dinner.
(d) How sad the tiny coffin was.
8. Where does Alice go when she runs out of the school board meeting?
(a) Her car.
(d) The restroom.
9. What is Alice's last name?
10. About what does Howard try to assure Alice?
(a) That she will get the new job.
(b) That she is still beautiful.
(c) That no one blames her for Lizzy's death.
(d) That she has the talent to play piano.
11. Why will Nellie be in Romania for two months?
(a) To study.
(b) To care for sick children.
(c) To take a vacation.
(d) To visit relatives.
12. Alice guiltily rejoices that _______________ is out of danger.
13. What does Howard think about the prayers at the hospital?
(a) They are guiding Lizzy into the next world.
(b) They are a waste of time.
(c) They can't hurt.
(d) They are necessary for consolation.
14. Alice wishes that Howard could _____________________.
(a) Write love letters.
(b) Leave her alone.
(c) Tell better jokes.
(d) Sense her pain.
15. Alice jokes that jail is _____________________.
(a) Just a foretaste of hell.
(b) A bad case of hiccups.
(c) A vacation.
(d) A really bad hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom had Alice reported her slapping a student?
2. Which attorney does Alice want Howard to call?
3. Where does Alice go to avoid a talk with Nellie?
4. What does Howard's mother tell him he needs to buy?
5. Alice feels that she and Theresa are friends just like two characters in which classic television show?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)