|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT covered in a letter Alice sends to Howard and the girls?
2. What is Carol's last name?
3. What does Howard think about the prayers at the hospital?
(a) They are necessary for consolation.
(b) They can't hurt.
(c) They are a waste of time.
(d) They are guiding Lizzy into the next world.
4. Where does Alice work?
(a) Blackwell Elementary.
(b) Racine Medical Center.
(d) The Gap.
5. Which attorney does Alice want Howard to call?
(a) Donald Mulligan.
(b) James Hall.
(c) Paul Rafferty.
(d) Edward Pearson.
6. To whom had Alice reported her slapping a student?
(a) The principal.
(d) No one.
7. How supportive is Howard as Alice worries about attending the funeral?
(a) He knows the perfect thing to say.
(b) He tries but falls short.
(c) He is overly attentive.
(d) He is of no help.
8. Who does Howard find to watch the girls while he goes to visit Alice in jail?
(a) Principal Henskin.
(b) Mrs. Sarver.
(d) Miss Bowman.
9. What is Theresa doing when Alice sees her?
10. When does the enormity of Lizzy's death hit Howard?
(a) While doing his farmwork.
(b) In front of her coffin.
(c) While tucking his daughters in at night.
(d) In the middle of the night.
11. What had been Alice's version of church while growing up?
(a) Folk dancing with her aunt.
(c) Listening to music.
(d) Sitting by a stream.
12. What color of prison garb does Alice wear?
13. Alice jokes that jail is _____________________.
(a) A bad case of hiccups.
(b) Just a foretaste of hell.
(c) A really bad hotel.
(d) A vacation.
14. How can Alice be characterized?
(b) Low self-esteem.
15. What does Howard's mother tell him he needs to buy?
(a) Flowers for Alice.
(b) A new car.
(c) Bunk beds for the girls.
(d) A new suit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Alice been doing constantly lately?
2. Where does Howard's mother live?
3. Who is one of Alice's most troubling patients?
4. What does Alice make Howard promise he will not do?
5. Nellie will be leaving soon to work in what country?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)