|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Howard think about while waiting to see Alice in jail?
(a) Last Christmas.
(b) Swimming naked with her.
(c) Their wedding day.
(d) The day they met.
2. Alice feels that she and Theresa are friends just like two characters in which classic television show?
(a) All in the Family.
(b) The Dick Van Dyke Show.
(c) Leave it to Beaver.
3. Where does Howard's mother live?
(b) Ft. Lauderdale.
(c) St. Paul.
4. What is Alice's job?
(b) School nurse.
5. Alice guiltily rejoices that _______________ is out of danger.
6. Why had Alice had a confrontation with Mrs. Mackessy?
(a) She sent her son to school when he was very ill.
(b) She did not vote for the school levy.
(c) She said derogatory things about Claire.
(d) She hit her car in the parking lot.
7. What does Alice think of Carol?
(a) She lives below community moral standards.
(b) She is a good influence on the neighbor kids.
(c) She has potential to be a great singer.
(d) She is her best friend.
8. Which of the following is NOT a reason why Alice sleeps for days?
(a) She resents hard farm life.
(b) She feels alone in her disgrace.
(c) She is on morphine.
(d) She is unable to cope with her house and children.
9. Who does Howard find to watch the girls while he goes to visit Alice in jail?
(a) Miss Bowman.
(c) Mrs. Sarver.
(d) Principal Henskin.
10. Where does Alice work?
(a) Racine Medical Center.
(b) The Gap.
(c) Blackwell Elementary.
11. What does Howard want to throw at Miss Bowman when he picks up the girls?
(a) His keys.
(b) A rock.
(c) A book.
(d) A glass.
12. When does the enormity of Lizzy's death hit Howard?
(a) In the middle of the night.
(b) While tucking his daughters in at night.
(c) While doing his farmwork.
(d) In front of her coffin.
13. Who is one of Alice's most troubling patients?
(a) Robbie Mackessy.
(b) Brian Voiles.
(c) Evan Roberts.
(d) Eric McKenzie.
14. How old was Alice when her mother died?
15. What does Howard think about the prayers at the hospital?
(a) They can't hurt.
(b) They are a waste of time.
(c) They are necessary for consolation.
(d) They are guiding Lizzy into the next world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Howard warn Alice not to do in church?
2. Who is Robbie Mackessy?
3. What does Alice make Howard promise he will not do?
4. Who is the woman who gossips at the funeral?
5. What do the arresting officers allow Alice to take with her?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)