|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Howard NOT tell Alice on the ride home from the funeral?
(a) To make dinner.
(b) To forget Glevitch.
(c) To go to bed.
(d) How sad the tiny coffin was.
2. Which student had Alice slapped in a moment of extreme frustration?
3. Alice is sure that God could not let __________________.
(a) A tornado destroy the town.
(b) Howard leave her.
(c) A toddler die.
(d) Emma have leukemia.
4. Alice has to attend a school board meeting to discuss ______________________.
(c) Her contract.
(d) Snow days.
5. What had been Alice's version of church while growing up?
(a) Folk dancing with her aunt.
(c) Listening to music.
(d) Sitting by a stream.
6. Alice never expected to live past the age of _______________.
7. Alice feels that she and Theresa are friends just like two characters in which classic television show?
(a) All in the Family.
(b) Leave it to Beaver.
(c) The Dick Van Dyke Show.
8. Where does Alice go when she runs out of the school board meeting?
(a) Her car.
(d) The restroom.
9. Who is one of Alice's most troubling patients?
(a) Robbie Mackessy.
(b) Eric McKenzie.
(c) Evan Roberts.
(d) Brian Voiles.
10. Nellie will be leaving soon to work in what country?
11. What does Howard's mother tell him he needs to buy?
(a) A new car.
(b) Flowers for Alice.
(c) A new suit.
(d) Bunk beds for the girls.
12. When does the enormity of Lizzy's death hit Howard?
(a) While tucking his daughters in at night.
(b) In front of her coffin.
(c) While doing his farmwork.
(d) In the middle of the night.
13. How old was Alice when her mother died?
14. Why will Nellie be in Romania for two months?
(a) To study.
(b) To visit relatives.
(c) To take a vacation.
(d) To care for sick children.
15. Which of the following is something that does NOT worry Howard?
(a) The drought problems.
(b) Controlling Alice's outbursts.
(c) Getting Easter dresses for the girls.
(d) The girls' complaints about his cooking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Collins' remaining daughter?
2. Who pays for Alice's college degree?
3. Where does Alice see Theresa?
4. What has Alice been doing constantly lately?
5. What instrument does Howard play after dinner?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)