Part 1, Alice, Chapters 1-2
• Alice Goodwin recalls awakening to a wailing siren one morning last June but all is well on the farm she shares with her husband, Howard, and their two daughters, Emma and Claire.
• During the school year, Alice is a nurse at an elementary school but in the summers she and her friend, Theresa Collins, take turns watching her daughters and Theresa's daughters, Audrey and Lizzy.
• One morning Theresa drops off her girls and Alice is slow to notice that Lizzy is missing.
• Suspecting that Lizzy has gone to the pond, Alice panics, finds Lizzy's lifeless body there and performs ineffective CPR.
• Alice believes that the paramedics will save Lizzy in spite of the fact that Alice knows the child is dead.
• Alice spends three agonizing days and nights in the hospital lounge where Robbie Mackessy's mother sneers at her.
• Robbie is one of Alice's...
This section contains 2,559 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)