|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, how was the rebel who shot one of the boys killed?
2. What did Esther buy Alhaji when they took Ishmael to the hospital for an examination?
3. In Chapter 11, what was one of the rebels carrying?
4. What folk tale did Musa tell in Chapter 10?
5. Where was Jumah stationed in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happy time was had in Chapter 10?
2. How did the boys get cash in Chapters 16-18?
3. What did Saidu say about death?
4. How did Ishmael become a spokesman for Bennin Home?
5. What happened to Mambu after Ishmael left the center?
6. In Chapter 10, what was one of the most unsettling things about Ishmael's journey?
7. Who did Ishmael meet as they approached the village where his family might have been staying?
8. Why weren't Ishmael and the other boys killed when the village was attacked where his family was staying?
9. When Esther and Leslie took Ishmael and Alhaji to the city for Ishmael's examination, what presents were bought for the boys?
10. What was it like in Yele when the boys first arrived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eventually Mattru Jong was attacked by rebels. How did Ishmael, Junior, and their friends survive the attack on Mattru Jong?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, Ishmael, his brother, and a friend traveled to Mattru Jong. How did that journey save his life?
Essay Topic 3
Ishmael came a long way from the boy he was in Chapter 1, to the young man he was in Chapter 21. How was Ishmael a long way gone from who he was to who he became?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)