|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ishmael recognize Gasemu in Chapter 11?
2. During the second dry season of Ishmael's war years, how often did they stop during a three-day journey to a village they wanted to take over?
3. What village were Ishmael and the others taken to in Chapter 13?
4. Where was Ismael injured that caused him to be carried in a hammock for help?
5. Why did Ishmael get admitted to the hospital iat the beginning of Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would the boys and soldiers do in Chapter 14 if they ran out of food, drugs, ammunition, and gasoline?
2. How did the boys get cash in Chapters 16-18?
3. What type of contest was held at the end of Chapter 14?
4. What did Ishmael and the others do in the daytime in Chapter 14?
5. How did the boys act as their war memories began to return?
6. Why didn't the boys carry food and water during their first fight in Chapter 13?
7. In Chapter 13, what happened that made Ishmael get in the fight?
8. In Chapter 10, what was one of the most unsettling things about Ishmael's journey?
9. How did Josiah die?
10. How was Ishmael's foot injured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ishmael and the boys first found safety and then war in Yele. Why was Yele the beginning of the loss of the boys' childhood?
Essay Topic 2
The boys discussed how they lost their families. How did the loss of their families make the boys who they were and caused them to band together?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, Ishmael, his brother, and a friend traveled to Mattru Jong. How did that journey save his life?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)