|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10 when the boys left the village that had been so kind to them, what did they carry?
2. How would Ishmael's father try to get him to take a shower?
3. How old was Ishmael in Chapter 15?
4. In Chapter 12, when Ishmael and the others were captured at gunpoint, how many men were on the ground with uniforms soaked in blood?
5. In Chapter 11, how many villages did the rebels say they burned that day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Saidu say about death?
2. How did the boys act as their war memories began to return?
3. How did the boys get cash in Chapters 16-18?
4. Why didn't the boys carry food and water during their first fight in Chapter 13?
5. How was Ishmael's foot injured?
6. What was it like in Yele when the boys first arrived?
7. In Chapter 13, what happened that made Ishmael get in the fight?
8. Why weren't Ishmael and the other boys killed when the village was attacked where his family was staying?
9. What was the purpose of Ishmael's unit when he was a junior lieutenant?
10. What happy time was had in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A nurse worked with Ishmael as he adjusted to life away from the war. How did the relationship with Esther help Ishmael to adjust to civilian life?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, Ishmael, his brother, and a friend traveled to Mattru Jong. How did that journey save his life?
Essay Topic 3
Ishmael came a long way from the boy he was in Chapter 1, to the young man he was in Chapter 21. How was Ishmael a long way gone from who he was to who he became?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)