|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Esther buy Alhaji when they took Ishmael to the hospital for an examination?
2. How did Ishmael recognize Gasemu in Chapter 11?
3. When were the heaviest rainfalls in Sierra Leone?
4. What did Ishmael perform at a talent show in Chapter 18?
5. Who was the first to begin crying in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ishmael and the others do in the daytime in Chapter 14?
2. What happened to the boy's meat in the peculiar village?
3. In Chapter 10, what was one of the most unsettling things about Ishmael's journey?
4. What type of contest was held at the end of Chapter 14?
5. How did the boys get cash in Chapters 16-18?
6. What would the boys and soldiers do in Chapter 14 if they ran out of food, drugs, ammunition, and gasoline?
7. What did Ishmael find infuriating at the beginning of Chapter 16?
8. Why didn't the boys carry food and water during their first fight in Chapter 13?
9. Why weren't Ishmael and the other boys killed when the village was attacked where his family was staying?
10. What happened to Mambu after Ishmael left the center?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ishmael and the boys first found safety and then war in Yele. Why was Yele the beginning of the loss of the boys' childhood?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapters 7-9, Ishmael experienced kindness and hostility. Did Ishmael experience more kindness or more hostility?
Essay Topic 3
Saidu died. Why did it seem as though his death was a foregone conclusion and was destined to happen?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)