|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a man feed the boys in Chapter 9 after they damaged their feet?
2. How old was Kanei, one of the boys, Ishmael encountered in Chapter 8?
3. In Chapter 5, how old was the man caught crossing a bridge into the village?
4. Who would climb trees in Chapter 4, to get something to eat?
5. Who taught Ishmael and Junior about medicinal leaves and tree bark?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ishmael describe being hungry?
2. How did Ishmael decide to eat the fruit he found in the forest in Chapter 8?
3. How did the iman die in Chapter 7?
4. Why did Ishmael have to run for a half mile in Chapter 8?
5. How did the family of the person the boys stole from in Chapter 5 react?
6. In Chapter 4, what did the boys find at Khalilou's house?
7. How did a fisherman help Ishmael and the other boys he began traveling with in Chapter 9?
8. How was Ishmael, his brother, and their friends introduced to rap music?
9. What did the boys take with them when they went to Mattru Jong?
10. In Chapter 8, what was the worst thing for Ishmael about being in the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ishmael and the boys first found safety and then war in Yele. Why was Yele the beginning of the loss of the boys' childhood?
Essay Topic 2
At first Ishmael was silent about his past. What changed Ishmael's mind about telling his story?
Essay Topic 3
Ishmael's father had a statement that there was hope for a better day if someone was still alive. What did Ishmael's father mean when he said that there was hope if you were still alive?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)