|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What direction did Ishmael head when he left the swamp in Chapter 7?
2. When Ishmael left the swamp in Chapter 7, what did he stuff in his pockets?
3. What type of farm did the boys ravage for awhile because they were so hungry?
4. In Chapter 3, how long was the majority of the population of Mattru Jong in hiding?
5. How old was Ishmael the first time he was touched by war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ishmael leave home in 1993?
2. How did Ishmael decide to eat the fruit he found in the forest in Chapter 8?
3. What did the boys take with them when they went to Mattru Jong?
4. How did the attack on Kamator take place in Chapter 7?
5. In Chapter 8, what was the worst thing for Ishmael about being in the forest?
6. How did Ishmael describe being hungry?
7. How was Ishmael, his brother, and their friends introduced to rap music?
8. From whom did the boys steal food at the beginning of Chapter 5?
9. In Chapter 4, what did the boys see in Mattru Jong on a verandah?
10. What did Ishmael and Junior see when they went back to Kabati?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ishamel had to travel and live alone for awhile. How did that experience affect him emotionally and why?
Essay Topic 2
Ishmael came a long way from the boy he was in Chapter 1, to the young man he was in Chapter 21. How was Ishmael a long way gone from who he was to who he became?
Essay Topic 3
At first Ishmael was silent about his past. What changed Ishmael's mind about telling his story?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)