|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rebels capture the boys in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 4, when the boys and the other people who had entered the town together returned to the swamp, how many crossed at a time?
3. In Chapter 9, how long did Ishmael and the other boys stay in a fisherman's hut while their feet healed?
4. How wide was the path that the six boys walked in Chapter 4?
5. In Chapter 8, how long did Ishmael spend in the forest before running into people again?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 4, why did the boys return to Mattru Jong?
2. What words did Ishmael remember his father saying that kept him moving?
3. How did Ishmael decide to eat the fruit he found in the forest in Chapter 8?
4. How did the rebels send a message to the people of Mattru Jong in Chapter 3?
5. In Chapter 7, what food did Ishmael find as he walked away from the Kamator area?
6. In Chapter 7, why did Ishmael decide to leave the area around Kamator?
7. In Chapter 4, what did the boys find at Khalilou's house?
8. Why did Ishmael have to run for a half mile in Chapter 8?
9. What did the boys take with them when they went to Mattru Jong?
10. Why did Ishmael leave home in 1993?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ishamel had to travel and live alone for awhile. How did that experience affect him emotionally and why?
Essay Topic 2
Saidu died. Why did it seem as though his death was a foregone conclusion and was destined to happen?
Essay Topic 3
Ishmael's father had a statement that there was hope for a better day if someone was still alive. What did Ishmael's father mean when he said that there was hope if you were still alive?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)