|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What girl from Dave's hometown does he mention in this chapter?
2. What does Dave say never entered his world as a young child?
3. Who takes Dave to the hospital?
4. What is Dave forced to tell John?
5. How did Dave friend's father kill himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the wedding in Chapter 10.
2. How is Dave's situation changing in Chapter 8?
3. How is Toph's life beginning to change in Chapter 8?
4. What new idea do Dave and his editors come up with for the magazine in Chapter 9?
5. What is the misunderstanding between the Might magazine and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego in Chapter 8?
6. In what way is Toph still a big part of Dave's life?
7. How does the Real Show eventually help Dave to promote the Might magazine?
8. What happens to John in this chapter?
9. What happens to Shalini in Chapter 9?
10. Why does Dave decide to apply for The Real World?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Dave's relationship with Toph.
1) In what way is Dave in danger of smothering his younger brother?
2) In what way does Dave need Toph as much as Toph needs him?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Eggers' writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Eggers' style give to his story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dave's family.
1) How important is Dave's family to him? Are there some members of his family that were more important than others?
2) What would have happened to Dave if he did not have his family around when his parents died?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)