|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave say he cannot imagine life without?
2. Who has Dave finally broken up with in this chapter?
3. Which of the following words best describes Dave's magazine?
4. Who agrees to having his fake obituary written?
5. Where does Dave eventually find Toph waiting for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the cast members of the Real World not so welcome at the photo shoot in Chapter 7?
2. How is Toph's life beginning to change in Chapter 8?
3. How does Dave deal with John in Chapter 7?
4. In what way is Toph still a big part of Dave's life?
5. Why does the landlord's wife not want Dave to move in?
6. Why does Dave decide to apply for The Real World?
7. What is wrong with Dave at the end of Chapter 8?
8. What happens to John in this chapter?
9. What does Dave do in Chicago in Chapter 10?
10. Describe Dave's interview with the producer in Chapter 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the fake obituaries Dave and his fellow editors run in the Might magazine.
1) What comment is the magazine trying to make by running fake obituaries?
2) Why do the fake obituaries backfire so badly?
3) How do the fake obituaries express the book's theme of death and how people react to it?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character of Toph.
1) How did the death of Toph's parents affect him?
2) How differently will Toph grow up without his parents?
3) What positive and negative effects has Dave had on Toph's life?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Eggers' writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Eggers' style give to his story?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)