|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave worry about Toph in this chapter?
2. Where did Dave's friend's father die?
3. What girl from Dave's hometown does he mention in this chapter?
4. What people does Dave's magazine aim for?
5. Who agrees to having his fake obituary written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the magazine claims Adam Rich has been murdered?
2. What is wrong with Dave at the end of Chapter 8?
3. How does Dave deal with John in Chapter 7?
4. In what way is Toph still a big part of Dave's life?
5. Why do more people agree to to the magazines nude photo shoot in Chapter 7?
6. Why are the cast members of the Real World not so welcome at the photo shoot in Chapter 7?
7. What does Dave do for the front cover of the first issue?
8. Describe Dave's meeting with Sarah in Chapter 10.
9. How is Dave's situation changing in Chapter 8?
10. What happens to Shalini in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Eggers uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following and describe how his/her character matures in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of an editor.
1) What is the role of a editor? What different kinds of editors are there?
2) How much say does an editor has with what goes into a publication?
3) In what way does Dave have the right characteristics to succeed as an editor?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)