|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dave eventually find Toph waiting for him?
2. Who does Dave hire to do the front cover for the first edition?
3. What is Dave forced to tell John?
4. Where does Dave drop off Toph before his date with Sari?
5. Who calls Dave about John?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do more people agree to to the magazines nude photo shoot in Chapter 7?
2. What happens to John in this chapter?
3. What does Dave do in Chicago in Chapter 10?
4. What is the misunderstanding between the Might magazine and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego in Chapter 8?
5. How does Dave convince the producer he did not have a privileged upbringing?
6. What is wrong with Dave at the end of Chapter 8?
7. How does Dave feel when he visits his old house?
8. Describe the wedding in Chapter 10.
9. How does Dave deal with John in Chapter 7?
10. How is Dave's situation changing in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What major events had a profound effect on Eggers' life and how did they change him? What does Eggers still have to learn by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the fake obituaries Dave and his fellow editors run in the Might magazine.
1) What comment is the magazine trying to make by running fake obituaries?
2) Why do the fake obituaries backfire so badly?
3) How do the fake obituaries express the book's theme of death and how people react to it?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Eggers uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)