|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who threatens suicide in this chapter?
2. What does Dave deny being?
3. Who has Dave finally broken up with in this chapter?
4. What does Sari write about?
5. Where do Sari and Dave go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dave's meeting with Sarah in Chapter 10.
2. What does Dave do in Chicago in Chapter 10?
3. Describe the wedding in Chapter 10.
4. What is the misunderstanding between the Might magazine and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego in Chapter 8?
5. What does Dave do for the front cover of the first issue?
6. In what way is Toph still a big part of Dave's life?
7. How is Toph's life beginning to change in Chapter 8?
8. Why is the apartment not a good place to live?
9. Describe Dave's first exposure to hatred.
10. What happens to Shalini in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Eggers uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dave's relationship with Toph.
1) In what way is Dave in danger of smothering his younger brother?
2) In what way does Dave need Toph as much as Toph needs him?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dave's family.
1) How important is Dave's family to him? Are there some members of his family that were more important than others?
2) What would have happened to Dave if he did not have his family around when his parents died?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)