|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in the picture Dave and the editors choose?
2. What does Dave say never entered his world as a young child?
3. Where does Dave say his mother used to shop?
4. Where does Dave feel pain in this chapter?
5. Where do Toph's classmates tend to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to John in this chapter?
2. What new idea do Dave and his editors come up with for the magazine in Chapter 9?
3. What is wrong with Dave at the end of Chapter 8?
4. What happens to Shalini in Chapter 9?
5. What does Dave start in Chapter 6?
6. What problems does Toph cause Dave in Chapter 9?
7. What is the misunderstanding between the Might magazine and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego in Chapter 8?
8. How does Dave convince the producer he did not have a privileged upbringing?
9. Describe Dave's meeting with Sarah in Chapter 10.
10. How does the Real Show eventually help Dave to promote the Might magazine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What similarities in style and tone does Dave's memoir share with Might magazine?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following options and discuss how illness affected that particular area in Eggers' life.
2) Social life
3) Intimate relationships
Essay Topic 3
Examine the fake obituaries Dave and his fellow editors run in the Might magazine.
1) What comment is the magazine trying to make by running fake obituaries?
2) Why do the fake obituaries backfire so badly?
3) How do the fake obituaries express the book's theme of death and how people react to it?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)