|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Dave friend's father kill himself?
2. Who takes Dave to the hospital?
3. What city does Dave return to in this chapter?
4. What kind of people does Dave say the boy with the flag hated?
5. What does Toph do for the first time at a party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the misunderstanding between the Might magazine and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego in Chapter 8?
2. Why do more people agree to to the magazines nude photo shoot in Chapter 7?
3. What happens to Shalini in Chapter 9?
4. How is Dave's situation changing in Chapter 8?
5. How does the Real Show eventually help Dave to promote the Might magazine?
6. What does Dave do for the front cover of the first issue?
7. In what way is Toph still a big part of Dave's life?
8. How is Toph's life beginning to change in Chapter 8?
9. Why does Dave decide to apply for The Real World?
10. What problems does Toph cause Dave in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Dave's relationship with his parents.
1) Why does Dave hold his mother in much higher regard than his father?
2) How have Dave's parents affected his personality and the decisions he makes in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dave's influence on Toph.
1) What is Dave's philosophy about how to bring up Toph?
2) How would Dave change how he brought up Toph if he could do it again?
3) How different would Toph's life have been if he had lived with another one of his siblings?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiographical formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)