|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Dave friend's father kill himself?
2. Who does Dave call to help the answer to #118?
3. How does Dave want to use the exposure he can get for appearing on TV?
4. Who agrees to having his fake obituary written?
5. Where is Dave when gets a call from Meredith?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dave convince the producer he did not have a privileged upbringing?
2. What happens to John in this chapter?
3. What happens to Shalini in Chapter 9?
4. How is Toph's life beginning to change in Chapter 8?
5. Describe Dave's interview with the producer in Chapter 6.
6. Why does the landlord's wife not want Dave to move in?
7. What does Dave start in Chapter 6?
8. What does Dave do in Chicago in Chapter 10?
9. What problems does Toph cause Dave in Chapter 9?
10. Why is the apartment not a good place to live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Dave's influence on Toph.
1) What is Dave's philosophy about how to bring up Toph?
2) How would Dave change how he brought up Toph if he could do it again?
3) How different would Toph's life have been if he had lived with another one of his siblings?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dave's obsession with death.
1) How does Dave's obsession with death affect the people around him?
2) How does Dave's obsession with death affect his life in general?
3) In what way can Dave use his obsession with death in a positive way?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students, discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person point of view.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)