|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave say never entered his world as a young child?
2. Who does Dave call to help the answer to #118?
3. What does the landlady's wife not like about Dave?
4. Which band's music accompanied Beth as she walked down the aisle?
5. What girl from Dave's hometown does he mention in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new idea do Dave and his editors come up with for the magazine in Chapter 9?
2. How does Dave feel when he visits his old house?
3. What happens when the magazine claims Adam Rich has been murdered?
4. Describe Dave's first exposure to hatred.
5. Describe the wedding in Chapter 10.
6. How does Dave convince the producer he did not have a privileged upbringing?
7. What happens to John in this chapter?
8. How does Dave deal with John in Chapter 7?
9. What happens to Shalini in Chapter 9?
10. What is the misunderstanding between the Might magazine and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eggers uses fantasy elements in his memoir.
1) Why does Eggers uses fantasy elements in a non-fiction book?
2) When does he use fantasy elements, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dave's family.
1) How important is Dave's family to him? Are there some members of his family that were more important than others?
2) What would have happened to Dave if he did not have his family around when his parents died?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the fake obituaries Dave and his fellow editors run in the Might magazine.
1) What comment is the magazine trying to make by running fake obituaries?
2) Why do the fake obituaries backfire so badly?
3) How do the fake obituaries express the book's theme of death and how people react to it?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)