|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave say the participants can keep on during the photo shoot?
2. Who does Dave hire to do the front cover for the first edition?
3. How does the magazine celebrate the obituary issue?
4. What does Dave worry about Toph in this chapter?
5. What does the landlady's wife not like about Dave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dave's first exposure to hatred.
2. How does Dave convince the producer he did not have a privileged upbringing?
3. Why does the landlord's wife not want Dave to move in?
4. Why is the apartment not a good place to live?
5. Why are the cast members of the Real World not so welcome at the photo shoot in Chapter 7?
6. What is wrong with Dave at the end of Chapter 8?
7. What happens when the magazine claims Adam Rich has been murdered?
8. In what way is Toph still a big part of Dave's life?
9. Describe Dave's meeting with Sarah in Chapter 10.
10. How is Toph's life beginning to change in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What major events had a profound effect on Eggers' life and how did they change him? What does Eggers still have to learn by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Eggers uses fantasy elements in his memoir.
1) Why does Eggers uses fantasy elements in a non-fiction book?
2) When does he use fantasy elements, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Eggers uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)