|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Toph always added onto at the last minute?
2. What do the Mexican kids take from Dave?
3. What do Dave and Toph have to rush to in this chapter?
4. What is the name of Dave's younger brother?
5. Where does Meredith agree to meet Dave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who dies in Chapter 11?
2. Why does Dave want to move to New York?
3. Why does Dave feel uncomfortable when he takes Toph to Little League games?
4. What problems do Toph and Dave have living together?
5. How does Dave feel when he visits his old house?
6. How does Dave's situation change at the beginning of chapter 3?
7. Describe the wedding in Chapter 10.
8. What is Dave and Beth's plan?
9. What problems does Dave have cooking?
10. What happens when the magazine claims Adam Rich has been murdered?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character of Toph.
1) How did the death of Toph's parents affect him?
2) How differently will Toph grow up without his parents?
3) What positive and negative effects has Dave had on Toph's life?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following and describe how his/her character matures in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Eggers' writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Eggers' style give to his story?
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)