|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Toph and Dave do to the house in this chapter?
2. What does Dave do before the girl can tell the story to anyone else?
3. Where do Dave and Toph eat their meals?
4. What is Beth preparing for in this chapter?
5. Where is Dave's family home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dave convince the producer he did not have a privileged upbringing?
2. How does Dave act in the club with his friends?
3. What is wrong with Dave's mother at the beginning of Chapter 1?
4. Describe Dave's search for his wallet.
5. How does the Real Show eventually help Dave to promote the Might magazine?
6. Give an example of Dave and Toph's being late.
7. What does Dave think about as he holds ice to his mother's nose?
8. What new idea do Dave and his editors come up with for the magazine in Chapter 9?
9. How does Dave feel when he finally leaves Toph with a babysitter?
10. Why does the landlord's wife not want Dave to move in?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students, discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the fake obituaries Dave and his fellow editors run in the Might magazine.
1) What comment is the magazine trying to make by running fake obituaries?
2) Why do the fake obituaries backfire so badly?
3) How do the fake obituaries express the book's theme of death and how people react to it?
Essay Topic 3
What similarities in style and tone does Dave's memoir share with Might magazine?
This section contains 1,481 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)