|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Meredith agree to meet Dave?
2. What is the name of Dave's younger brother?
3. What lie does Dave tell a female friend about Toph?
4. Why does Dave not date much?
5. What did Dave's father die from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dave think about as he holds ice to his mother's nose?
2. Why does Dave call a nurse rather than take his mother to the hospital?
3. What does Dave do when he gets lonely in Chapter 5?
4. Why are the cast members of the Real World not so welcome at the photo shoot in Chapter 7?
5. Describe Dave's father's funeral.
6. Why do more people agree to to the magazines nude photo shoot in Chapter 7?
7. What happens when the magazine claims Adam Rich has been murdered?
8. Describe Dave's first exposure to hatred.
9. What is wrong with Dave at the end of Chapter 8?
10. What problems does Dave have cooking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Eggers use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dave's relationship with Toph.
1) In what way is Dave in danger of smothering his younger brother?
2) In what way does Dave need Toph as much as Toph needs him?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dave's influence on Toph.
1) What is Dave's philosophy about how to bring up Toph?
2) How would Dave change how he brought up Toph if he could do it again?
3) How different would Toph's life have been if he had lived with another one of his siblings?
This section contains 1,481 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)