|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dave not have a job?
2. Where does Dave eventually find his wallet?
3. Who is Dave watching TV with in this chapter?
4. Where does Beth come back from in this chapter?
5. Where do Dave and Toph eat their meals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems do Toph and Dave have living together?
2. Why does Dave not date many women?
3. What does Dave do when he gets lonely in Chapter 5?
4. What is wrong with Dave's mother at the beginning of Chapter 1?
5. Summarize Chapter 3.
6. Why does Dave struggle to discard of some of his parent possessions?
7. How does Dave feel when he finally leaves Toph with a babysitter?
8. What kind of relationships with women does Dave have during this period?
9. How does Dave help his mother in the first chapter?
10. In what way does Dave struggle with the memory of his parents in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What similarities in style and tone does Dave's memoir share with Might magazine?
Essay Topic 2
What major events had a profound effect on Eggers' life and how did they change him? What does Eggers still have to learn by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Eggers uses fantasy elements in his memoir.
1) Why does Eggers uses fantasy elements in a non-fiction book?
2) When does he use fantasy elements, and why?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)