|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave look for when he leaves the club?
2. What does Dave think the parents at the Little League games wonder about him and Toph?
3. Where do Dave and Toph eat their meals?
4. What does Toph join in this chapter?
5. Why does Dave have to move out of the apartment in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dave struggle to discard of some of his parent possessions?
2. How does a group of Mexican children harass Dave and Meredith in Chapter 5?
3. How does Dave help his mother in the first chapter?
4. Summarize Chapter 3.
5. Describe Dave's father's funeral.
6. How does Dave feel when he finally leaves Toph with a babysitter?
7. Summarize the second chapter.
8. How does Dave act in the club with his friends?
9. Give an example of Dave and Toph's being late.
10. In what way does Dave struggle with the memory of his parents in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Dave's obsession with death.
1) How does Dave's obsession with death affect the people around him?
2) How does Dave's obsession with death affect his life in general?
3) In what way can Dave use his obsession with death in a positive way?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character of Toph.
1) How did the death of Toph's parents affect him?
2) How differently will Toph grow up without his parents?
3) What positive and negative effects has Dave had on Toph's life?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Eggers use character and setting to express his themes?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)