Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Toph always added onto at the last minute?
2. What do the Mexican kids take from Dave?
3. What do Dave and Toph have to rush to in this chapter?
4. What is the name of Dave's younger brother?
5. Where does Meredith agree to meet Dave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who dies in Chapter 11?
2. Why does Dave want to move to New York?
3. Why does Dave feel uncomfortable when he takes Toph to Little League games?
4. What problems do Toph and Dave have living together?
5. How does Dave feel when he visits his old house?
6. How does Dave's situation change at the beginning of chapter 3?
7. Describe the wedding in Chapter 10.
8. What is Dave and Beth's plan?
9. What problems does Dave have cooking?
10. What happens when the magazine claims Adam Rich has been murdered?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Eggers use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the fake obituaries Dave and his fellow editors run in the Might magazine.
1) What comment is the magazine trying to make by running fake obituaries?
2) Why do the fake obituaries backfire so badly?
3) How do the fake obituaries express the book's theme of death and how people react to it?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the following and describe how his/her character matures in the book.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)