|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes with Toph to his Little League games?
2. What kind of people are in the car Dave has to identify?
3. What does Dave hold to his mother's nose?
4. What kind of women does Dave currently like to date?
5. Where does Dave eventually find his wallet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dave and Beth's plan?
2. What does Dave think about as he holds ice to his mother's nose?
3. Summarize the second chapter.
4. Give an example of Dave and Toph's being late.
5. Summarize Chapter 3.
6. What does Dave do when he gets lonely in Chapter 5?
7. Describe Dave's father's funeral.
8. What kind of relationships with women does Dave have during this period?
9. Describe Dave's search for his wallet.
10. In what way does Dave struggle with the memory of his parents in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following options and discuss how illness affected that particular area in Eggers' life.
2) Social life
3) Intimate relationships
Essay Topic 2
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiographical formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of Toph.
1) How did the death of Toph's parents affect him?
2) How differently will Toph grow up without his parents?
3) What positive and negative effects has Dave had on Toph's life?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)