|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave want to join?
2. What does Dave think Toph worries about?
3. Where do Dave and Toph play Frisbee in this chapter?
4. Where does Beth come back from in this chapter?
5. Where is Toph sleeping?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example of Dave and Toph's being late.
2. How do the police deal with Dave's stolen wallet in Chapter 5?
3. How does Dave act in the club with his friends?
4. How does Dave help his mother in the first chapter?
5. How does Dave's situation change at the beginning of chapter 3?
6. Why does Dave call a nurse rather than take his mother to the hospital?
7. Why doesn't Dave like telling people why he has to look after Toph?
8. What problems do Toph and Dave have living together?
9. How does Dave feel when he finally leaves Toph with a babysitter?
10. What is wrong with Dave's mother at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students, discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the fake obituaries Dave and his fellow editors run in the Might magazine.
1) What comment is the magazine trying to make by running fake obituaries?
2) Why do the fake obituaries backfire so badly?
3) How do the fake obituaries express the book's theme of death and how people react to it?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dave's family.
1) How important is Dave's family to him? Are there some members of his family that were more important than others?
2) What would have happened to Dave if he did not have his family around when his parents died?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)