|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Dave and his sibling live off?
2. What is Toph always added onto at the last minute?
3. What is the name of Dave's younger brother?
4. Where did Beth find Toph's babysitter?
5. Where does Dave sleep in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dave not date many women?
2. How does Dave help his mother in the first chapter?
3. In what way does Dave struggle with the memory of his parents in Chapter 4?
4. How does Dave act in the club with his friends?
5. What kind of relationships with women does Dave have during this period?
6. Summarize the second chapter.
7. How do the police deal with Dave's stolen wallet in Chapter 5?
8. Why does Dave struggle to discard of some of his parent possessions?
9. Why does Dave think it is important to go to the gym?
10. How does Dave's disorganization affect Toph?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Eggers uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Eggers uses fantasy elements in his memoir.
1) Why does Eggers uses fantasy elements in a non-fiction book?
2) When does he use fantasy elements, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What major events had a profound effect on Eggers' life and how did they change him? What does Eggers still have to learn by the end of the book?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)