|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Dave's sister?
2. What does Dave discover is missing from his pants?
3. How does Dave secure the apartment he wants to move into?
4. Why is Toph always late for school?
5. What does Dave decide to tell for the first time when a mother at Toph's school asks about his situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dave decide to do instead of finding a job?
2. What kind of relationships with women does Dave have during this period?
3. How does Dave help his mother in the first chapter?
4. What does Dave start in Chapter 6?
5. Why does the landlord's wife not want Dave to move in?
6. What new idea do Dave and his editors come up with for the magazine in Chapter 9?
7. Why does Dave feel uncomfortable when he takes Toph to Little League games?
8. What is Dave and Beth's plan?
9. Describe Dave's meeting with Sarah in Chapter 10.
10. Who dies in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the following people and outline his/her influence on Dave Eggers' life:
2) His father
3) His mother
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dave's obsession with death.
1) How does Dave's obsession with death affect the people around him?
2) How does Dave's obsession with death affect his life in general?
3) In what way can Dave use his obsession with death in a positive way?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students, discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person point of view.
This section contains 1,420 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)