|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Dave's family home?
2. How does Dave secure the apartment he wants to move into?
3. What do Dave and Toph have to rush to in this chapter?
4. Who goes with Toph to his Little League games?
5. Where did Beth and Dave promise not to take their mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dave and Beth's plan?
2. How does a group of Mexican children harass Dave and Meredith in Chapter 5?
3. How does Dave feel when he finally leaves Toph with a babysitter?
4. How does Dave's situation change at the beginning of chapter 3?
5. What is wrong with Dave's mother at the beginning of Chapter 1?
6. Summarize Chapter 3.
7. What problems does Dave have cooking?
8. Describe Dave's search for his wallet.
9. Summarize Chapter 4.
10. What does Dave decide to do instead of finding a job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eggers uses fantasy elements in his memoir.
1) Why does Eggers uses fantasy elements in a non-fiction book?
2) When does he use fantasy elements, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following options and discuss how illness affected that particular area in Eggers' life.
2) Social life
3) Intimate relationships
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dave's influence on Toph.
1) What is Dave's philosophy about how to bring up Toph?
2) How would Dave change how he brought up Toph if he could do it again?
3) How different would Toph's life have been if he had lived with another one of his siblings?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)