|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dave spend all of his time with in this chapter?
2. What does Dave want women to understand about him?
3. Why is Toph always late for school?
4. What does Dave want to buy his mother for her birthday?
5. What does Dave decide to tell for the first time when a mother at Toph's school asks about his situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dave feel uncomfortable when he takes Toph to Little League games?
2. Summarize the second chapter.
3. Summarize Chapter 3.
4. Summarize Chapter 4.
5. Why does Dave think it is important to go to the gym?
6. How does Dave's situation change at the beginning of chapter 3?
7. How does Dave act in the club with his friends?
8. In what way does Dave struggle with the memory of his parents in Chapter 4?
9. What does Dave do during the nights?
10. How does Dave's disorganization affect Toph?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the fake obituaries Dave and his fellow editors run in the Might magazine.
1) What comment is the magazine trying to make by running fake obituaries?
2) Why do the fake obituaries backfire so badly?
3) How do the fake obituaries express the book's theme of death and how people react to it?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following options and discuss how illness affected that particular area in Eggers' life.
2) Social life
3) Intimate relationships
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dave's obsession with death.
1) How does Dave's obsession with death affect the people around him?
2) How does Dave's obsession with death affect his life in general?
3) In what way can Dave use his obsession with death in a positive way?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)