|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dave sleep in this chapter?
2. What does Dave think Toph worries about?
3. Who does Dave eventually call in this chapter?
4. What kind of people are in the car Dave has to identify?
5. Where did Beth and Dave promise not to take their mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dave not date many women?
2. How does Dave act in the club with his friends?
3. Why doesn't Dave like telling people why he has to look after Toph?
4. How does Dave's disorganization affect Toph?
5. What is Dave and Beth's plan?
6. How does Dave help his mother in the first chapter?
7. What kind of relationships with women does Dave have during this period?
8. Describe Dave's father's funeral.
9. What different directions do the characters take in Chapter 2?
10. Describe Dave's search for his wallet.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Eggers' writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Eggers' style give to his story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of an editor.
1) What is the role of a editor? What different kinds of editors are there?
2) How much say does an editor has with what goes into a publication?
3) In what way does Dave have the right characteristics to succeed as an editor?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students, discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person point of view.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)