|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who carries Dave and Beth's mother to the car?
2. What does Dave's tragic story make him feel like?
3. Where does Dave want to buy flowers from?
4. What do Toph and Dave do to the house in this chapter?
5. What is the name of Dave's girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dave act in the club with his friends?
2. What does Dave do when he gets lonely in Chapter 5?
3. Summarize the second chapter.
4. Why does Dave think it is important to go to the gym?
5. What different directions do the characters take in Chapter 2?
6. How does a group of Mexican children harass Dave and Meredith in Chapter 5?
7. Why doesn't Dave like telling people why he has to look after Toph?
8. How does Dave help his mother in the first chapter?
9. What problems does Dave have cooking?
10. How does Dave feel when he finally leaves Toph with a babysitter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What major events had a profound effect on Eggers' life and how did they change him? What does Eggers still have to learn by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following options and discuss how illness affected that particular area in Eggers' life.
2) Social life
3) Intimate relationships
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dave's relationship with his parents.
1) Why does Dave hold his mother in much higher regard than his father?
2) How have Dave's parents affected his personality and the decisions he makes in the book?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)