|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Dave and Toph eat their meals?
2. What did Dave's father die from?
3. What do the Mexican kids take from Dave?
4. What does Dave think the parents at the Little League games wonder about him and Toph?
5. When did Dave graduate from college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dave's search for his wallet.
2. What different directions do the characters take in Chapter 2?
3. How does Dave feel when he finally leaves Toph with a babysitter?
4. Why does Dave think it is important to go to the gym?
5. What is Dave and Beth's plan?
6. How does Dave act in the club with his friends?
7. Summarize Chapter 3.
8. Give an example of Dave and Toph's being late.
9. What does Dave do when he gets lonely in Chapter 5?
10. What problems do Toph and Dave have living together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Eggers use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students, discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person point of view.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dave's relationship with his parents.
1) Why does Dave hold his mother in much higher regard than his father?
2) How have Dave's parents affected his personality and the decisions he makes in the book?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)