|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of California do Dave's friends live in?
2. Why does Dave not have a job?
3. Where does Meredith agree to meet Dave?
4. What word best describes Dave's relationship with the older woman?
5. What kind of woman is Dave dating in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dave think it is important to go to the gym?
2. Describe Dave's father's funeral.
3. What problems does Dave have cooking?
4. Why does Dave not date many women?
5. What problems do Toph and Dave have living together?
6. Describe Dave's search for his wallet.
7. How do the police deal with Dave's stolen wallet in Chapter 5?
8. In what way does Dave struggle with the memory of his parents in Chapter 4?
9. How does Dave's situation change at the beginning of chapter 3?
10. What does Dave do during the nights?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the fake obituaries Dave and his fellow editors run in the Might magazine.
1) What comment is the magazine trying to make by running fake obituaries?
2) Why do the fake obituaries backfire so badly?
3) How do the fake obituaries express the book's theme of death and how people react to it?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dave's relationship with his parents.
1) Why does Dave hold his mother in much higher regard than his father?
2) How have Dave's parents affected his personality and the decisions he makes in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Dave's family.
1) How important is Dave's family to him? Are there some members of his family that were more important than others?
2) What would have happened to Dave if he did not have his family around when his parents died?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)