|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes Dave's relationship with the older woman?
2. Where does Dave insist the kids go with him in this chapter?
3. What does Dave fear about the older woman he is dating?
4. Where does Meredith agree to meet Dave?
5. What does Dave decide to tell for the first time when a mother at Toph's school asks about his situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dave do during the nights?
2. What different directions do the characters take in Chapter 2?
3. What problems does Dave have cooking?
4. How does Dave act in the club with his friends?
5. What problems do Toph and Dave have living together?
6. Summarize Chapter 4.
7. What does Dave decide to do instead of finding a job?
8. Why does Dave feel uncomfortable when he takes Toph to Little League games?
9. What is Dave and Beth's plan?
10. How does Dave help his mother in the first chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Eggers' writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Eggers' style give to his story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dave's influence on Toph.
1) What is Dave's philosophy about how to bring up Toph?
2) How would Dave change how he brought up Toph if he could do it again?
3) How different would Toph's life have been if he had lived with another one of his siblings?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the following people and outline his/her influence on Dave Eggers' life:
2) His father
3) His mother
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)