|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bordered the north and south ends of town in Mooreland?
(a) The Baskin Robbins and a Macy's Department Store.
(c) A cemetery and a funeral home.
(d) Street lights.
2. What was Julie's favorite lunch?
(a) Peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches.
(b) Cream cheese on rye bread.
(c) MoonPie and a Pepsi.
3. What was Zippy's favorite campground?
(a) Quiet Mountain.
(b) Tall Trees.
(c) Lake of the Ozarks.
(d) Shadow Hill.
4. What did Mooreland NOT have that New Castle did have?
(b) Taverns, theaters, or department stores.
5. What was Rose's most important feature that would make her a good artist?
(a) Her red hair.
(b) She owned a color wheel.
(c) She was left-handed.
(d) She had a "good eye" for art.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Daniel saw Melinda sitting on the edge of the tub fully dressed after he'd been waiting to get into the bathroom, what did he do to Melinda?
2. Who, according to Zippy, was bigger and meaner than the Mafia?
3. How much, according to Zippy, did the hoods of Chevrolet vehicles weigh?
4. Who lived next door to Zippy with a dog named Lucky?
5. How much did Zippy have in her bank when she opened it to get money to vote for her sister as Fair Queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did it mean for Zippy to attend Julie's grandfather's funeral?
2. What was unavailable to buy at the drugstore in Mooreland? What is the irony of this situation?
3. How did Zippy's dad's react to the teacher's comment that she colored outside the lines? Why do you think he reacted that way?
4. Why was Zippy so emotional when Andy sang "Poor Wayfaring Stranger" at Jigger's funeral?
5. What was Daniel's reaction when he broke the bathroom door and saw Melinda sitting on the edge of the tub fully dressed?
6. By throwing the runt piglet on the pile of dead carcasses, what did Julie show Zippy that she knew?
7. What was Zippy's memory of the tornado that came to her school?
8. How did the dog Kai protect Zippy when she was a child? What does this say about the general opinion of animals in this household?
9. What did Zippy want to be when she grew up? Why are these choices unique?
10. How, as a baby, did Zippy take a nap? What does this story indicate to the reader?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)