|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, according to the author, is there so little information about Mooreland during the 60s and 70s?
(a) The town wasn't around that far back.
(b) There are few people left who can reliably tell it.
(c) Church records were not kept.
(d) The town was annexed by Cleveland in the 1980s.
2. What was the slogan for Melinda in the Fair Parade when she rode in the convertible?
(a) A pioneer woman with a pioneer spirit.
(b) A midwestern beauty for a happy midwestern town.
(c) An old-fashioned girl with an old-fashioned smile.
(d) A beautiful girl for a beautiful town.
3. What did Zippy tell Julie that her neighbor Edythe ate?
(a) Stews made out of puppies.
(b) Brats with beer.
(c) Witch's Brew.
(d) Only vegetables.
4. Where is the town of Mooreland, Indiana, located?
(a) North of Epileptic City.
(b) East of Wichita.
(c) South of New Manchester.
(d) North of New Castle and east of Epileptic Village.
5. Why, according to Zippy's mom, did she and Zippy's father go to visit the gypsies one night?
(a) They knew there would be circus act.
(b) They wanted to see the gypsy fortune teller.
(c) They wanted to see the live animals.
(d) They were drawn by the preaching wolves.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Zippy's dad gathered all his friends hunting dogs on his front lawn one night, what did he say he was doing?
2. What bordered the north and south ends of town in Mooreland?
3. What stalling games did Zippy play to keep from leaving for church on time?
4. What saved Zippy's life when she got a staph infection in her ear?
5. What divided the kitchen from the den in Zippy's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal did Zippy and her dad reach about the pink Bible?
2. Explain the cure for the illness Zippy had as a child. How does this information put the story in context for the year it occurred?
3. What were the expectations about Zippy training Speckles, the chicken?
4. What did it mean for Zippy to attend Julie's grandfather's funeral?
5. How did Kai check on everyone at bedtime?
6. How, as a baby, did Zippy take a nap? What does this story indicate to the reader?
7. What was Zippy's memory of the tornado that came to her school?
8. How did Zippy envision getting ready and walking to church?
9. What was Daniel's reaction when he broke the bathroom door and saw Melinda sitting on the edge of the tub fully dressed?
10. Why was Zippy so emotional when Andy sang "Poor Wayfaring Stranger" at Jigger's funeral?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)