|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color crayon did the kindergarten teacher give Julie on her first day of class?
2. Who lived next door to Zippy with a dog named Lucky?
(a) Minnie Hodson.
(b) Timmy Allen.
(c) Mr. Sticks.
(d) Josie Terrance.
3. Where did most people bury their animals, defying city codes?
(a) Their back yards.
(b) The church graveyard.
(c) The field at the south end of town.
(d) Tall Oaks campground.
4. Where did Zippy's sister pinch her when she came in late to church?
(a) The side of her leg.
(b) The tender skin inside the upper arm.
(c) He cheeks.
(d) Her behind just before she sat down.
5. What did the town drugstore owner wear?
(b) Bowties and suspenders.
(c) Cardigan sweaters.
(d) Striped overalls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Reed Ball threaten to do to Zippy's dogs if they didn't stop barking?
2. What was the name of the camper that belonged to Zippy's parents?
3. When Zippy's dad gathered all his friends hunting dogs on his front lawn one night, what did he say he was doing?
4. Who died in the town of Mooreland when Zippy was born?
5. What divided the kitchen from the den in Zippy's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Zippy's memory of the tornado that came to her school?
2. What was the only reason Melinda thought anyone would ever read a book about Mooreland, Indiana?
3. What did it mean for Zippy to attend Julie's grandfather's funeral?
4. When Zippy asked her sister about the child with disabilities, how did her sister handle it? How did this show maturity in her sister?
5. What was unavailable to buy at the drugstore in Mooreland? What is the irony of this situation?
6. How did Zippy get her name? Why did the nickname stick?
7. Explain the cure for the illness Zippy had as a child. How does this information put the story in context for the year it occurred?
8. What does Zippy's mother tell her about the green bag that she traded with the gypsies?
9. Why was it important to Zippy that her sister win the Fair Queen in 1972?
10. Why did Zippy's neighbor Reed threaten to kill her dogs?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)