|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, according to Zippy's mom, did she and Zippy's father go to visit the gypsies one night?
(a) They knew there would be circus act.
(b) They were drawn by the preaching wolves.
(c) They wanted to see the gypsy fortune teller.
(d) They wanted to see the live animals.
2. What did Zippy tell Julie that her neighbor Edythe ate?
(a) Stews made out of puppies.
(b) Witch's Brew.
(c) Only vegetables.
(d) Brats with beer.
3. What stalling games did Zippy play to keep from leaving for church on time?
(a) "I Need Coffee Before Church."
(b) "I Need to Brush my Teeth."
(c) "I Can't Find my Other Shoe" and "I've Lost my Little Pink New Testament."
(d) I Need to Feed the Dog."
4. Where did most people bury their animals, defying city codes?
(a) The church graveyard.
(b) Tall Oaks campground.
(c) The field at the south end of town.
(d) Their back yards.
5. Who owned the drugstore in town?
(a) Doc Holiday.
(b) Mr. Sterling.
(c) Mr. Blandings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of haircut was Zippy's favorite when she was little?
2. Why did Julie, Zippy's friend, not talk?
3. Who did Zippy's uncle marry and divorce four times?
4. What did Zippy's brother Daniel wear as a kid?
5. Who was chosen Fair Queen during the ceremony when Melinda ran?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the cure for the illness Zippy had as a child. How does this information put the story in context for the year it occurred?
2. What do you think Doc Holiday really thought of Zippy?
3. What did Zippy's dad use to keep the dogs barking all night when he was "dog-sitting?"
4. What deal did Zippy and her dad reach about the pink Bible?
5. What does Zippy's mother tell her about the green bag that she traded with the gypsies?
6. What was unavailable to buy at the drugstore in Mooreland? What is the irony of this situation?
7. How, as a baby, did Zippy take a nap? What does this story indicate to the reader?
8. How did Zippy's interviews go with her mother?
9. Why was it important to Zippy that her sister win the Fair Queen in 1972?
10. How did Zippy get her name? Why did the nickname stick?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)