|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nhamo think when she looks in the mirror at the hospital?
2. Which baboon gets into Nhamo's platform?
3. Why is Nhamo not allowed to stay overnight in the village?
4. Who chides Dr. Van Heerden for wanting to send Nhamo away?
5. What does Dr. Van Heerden bring back with him from the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nhamo decide to avoid landmines as she continues her journey to Zimbabwe?
2. What does the nganga say after hearing Nhamo's story?
3. What does Nhamo do just after her jar of possessions is ruined?
4. What does Nhamo do with the carcass she finds?
5. What story does Nhamo tell Baba Joseph, and how does he respond to this?
6. How is Nhamo protected when she is chased after being seen by the white family, and how does she feel about this?
7. What does Nhamo watch a wasp do, and what does she think of this?
8. What does Nhamo hear about her village in a letter, and how does this make her feel?
9. Of the staff at Efifi, who likes Nhamo the most of the staff, and why?
10. What are the people at Efifi doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are three cultures presented in this book. What are they, and how do they relate to each other? How does each of these play a role in Nhamo's life?
Essay Topic 2
Edina is a minor character in this book who makes a huge impact on the plot. How does she accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
Essay Topic 3
Compassion and empathy are themes present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)