|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Nhamo tell her story at her family's house?
2. What does the bright light Nhamo sees turn out to be?
3. Why is Nhamo not allowed to stay overnight in the village?
4. What does Nhamo drink at Efifi that she loves more than anything else there?
5. Why does Dr. Masuku want to send Nhamo to the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Nhamo tell Baba Joseph, and how does he respond to this?
2. What does Baba Joseph do to Nhamo's panga, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
3. Who takes Nhamo to meet her family, and how does she feel when she gets there?
4. What does a nurse let Nhamo do that she thinks is miraculous?
5. What happens in Nhamo's story about the farmer and the baboons?
6. Of the staff at Efifi, who likes Nhamo the most of the staff, and why?
7. What does Nhamo hear in a haze one day, and how does this affect her?
8. Why does Nhamo have a hard time working on her boat when the dry season comes?
9. Why does the nganga think the leopard appeared to Nhamo?
10. What kinds of civilized things does Nhamo learn while she is at Efifi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are three cultures presented in this book. What are they, and how do they relate to each other? How does each of these play a role in Nhamo's life?
Essay Topic 2
Compassion and empathy are themes present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 3
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this plot and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)