|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nhamo get the idea to plug the holes in the boat?
2. With whom does Nhamo spend most of her time after hearing that Dr. Masuku wants to send her to the city?
3. Where is Nhamo offered a job during the summer?
4. What is destroyed when a baboon gets into Nhamo's platform?
5. What kind of carcass does Nhamo find after leaving the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Nhamo protected when she is chased after being seen by the white family, and how does she feel about this?
2. What are the people at Efifi doing?
3. What does Nhamo hear in a haze one day, and how does this affect her?
4. Who takes Nhamo to meet her family, and how does she feel when she gets there?
5. What does Nhamo hear about her village in a letter, and how does this make her feel?
6. What happens when a baboon gets onto Nhamo's platform?
7. How does Nhamo decide to avoid landmines as she continues her journey to Zimbabwe?
8. What happens when Dr. Van Heerden's dog comes out of his truck?
9. Why does Dr. Masuku want Nhamo to go to the city, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
10. What does a nurse let Nhamo do that she thinks is miraculous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Persistence is a major attribute possessed by some of the main characters. Which characters have this trait, and how does it affect their role in the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)