|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Nhamo injured after she attacks Dr. Van Heerden?
2. About what does Nhamo tell Baba Joseph?
3. What makes Nhamo so listless as she works on her boat?
4. Why is Nhamo angry at herself when the first signs of the rainy season appear?
5. How does Nhamo feel when Dr. Masuku wants to send her to the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who takes Nhamo to meet her family, and how does she feel when she gets there?
2. Why did Nhamo take such a strong liking to Dr. Masuku?
3. What story does Nhamo tell Baba Joseph, and how does he respond to this?
4. What are the people at Efifi doing?
5. What does Baba Joseph do to Nhamo's panga, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
6. What kinds of civilized things does Nhamo learn while she is at Efifi?
7. Why does the nganga think the leopard appeared to Nhamo?
8. What does a nurse let Nhamo do that she thinks is miraculous?
9. What does the nganga say after hearing Nhamo's story?
10. What does Dr. Masuku say when Nhamo moves in with her father's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Persistence is a major attribute possessed by some of the main characters. Which characters have this trait, and how does it affect their role in the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this plot and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)