|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does a haze tell Nhamo one day at Efifi?
2. How is Nhamo injured after she attacks Dr. Van Heerden?
3. Why is Nhamo so shocked about her doctor?
4. Why is Nhamo's hair shaved off after she attacks Van Heerdon?
5. What does Nhamo drink at Efifi that she loves more than anything else there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nhamo is seen by the white family?
2. Why is Nhamo not allowed to stay overnight in the village?
3. What kinds of civilized things does Nhamo learn while she is at Efifi?
4. Why does Dr. Masuku want Nhamo to go to the city, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
5. What does Nhamo hear about her village in a letter, and how does this make her feel?
6. Why does the nganga think the leopard appeared to Nhamo?
7. What story does Nhamo tell Baba Joseph, and how does he respond to this?
8. What does Nhamo do just after her jar of possessions is ruined?
9. What does the nganga say after hearing Nhamo's story?
10. What does a nurse let Nhamo do that she thinks is miraculous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are three cultures presented in this book. What are they, and how do they relate to each other? How does each of these play a role in Nhamo's life?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 3
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Nhamo and her mother. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)