|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nhamo's father's surname?
2. What news does Nhamo get about Masvita during summer vacation?
3. What does Nhamo do to comfort her cousin who gets teased?
4. What does the nganga give Nhamo to prove her parentage?
5. What two things does Nhamo try to be while at Efifi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nhamo decide to avoid landmines as she continues her journey to Zimbabwe?
2. What story does Nhamo tell Baba Joseph, and how does he respond to this?
3. Who takes Nhamo to meet her family, and how does she feel when she gets there?
4. What does Baba Joseph do to Nhamo's panga, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
5. What kinds of civilized things does Nhamo learn while she is at Efifi?
6. What does a nurse let Nhamo do that she thinks is miraculous?
7. Of the staff at Efifi, who likes Nhamo the most of the staff, and why?
8. What does Dr. Masuku say when Nhamo moves in with her father's family?
9. What happens in Nhamo's story about the farmer and the baboons?
10. What happens when a baboon gets onto Nhamo's platform?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of different settings in this book. Describe some of these settings. Why might Nancy Farmer have chosen these settings for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Acceptance is a strong theme in this book. Which characters present this theme, and how does it affect the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Edina is a minor character in this book who makes a huge impact on the plot. How does she accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)