|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the cousin that Nhamo becomes close with after moving in with her father's family?
2. Why is Nhamo so shocked about her doctor?
3. About what does Nhamo tell Baba Joseph?
4. Where is Nhamo offered a job during the summer?
5. What does Nhamo watch a wasp kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nhamo is seen by the white family?
2. Who takes Nhamo to meet her family, and how does she feel when she gets there?
3. What does Baba Joseph do to Nhamo's panga, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
4. What does Nhamo do when she sees the first signs of the rainy season, and why?
5. Where is Nhamo's father?
6. What happens when Dr. Van Heerden's dog comes out of his truck?
7. What does a nurse let Nhamo do that she thinks is miraculous?
8. Why does Baba Joseph think Nhamo attacked Van Heerden, and what does he do about it?
9. What does Dr. Masuku say when Nhamo moves in with her father's family?
10. Why does the nganga think the leopard appeared to Nhamo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The pursuit of happiness is a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embody this theme, and how does that pursuit affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Edina is a minor character in this book who makes a huge impact on the plot. How does she accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is a prevalent literary device used by the author. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)