|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Nhamo's father?
2. To whom does Nhamo tell her story at her family's house?
3. What kind of carcass does Nhamo find after leaving the cave?
4. Who protects Nhamo when she is chased after seeing the family?
5. About what does Baba Joseph tell Nhamo a story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nhamo hear in a haze one day, and how does this affect her?
2. Why does Baba Joseph think Nhamo attacked Van Heerden, and what does he do about it?
3. What story does Nhamo tell Baba Joseph, and how does he respond to this?
4. What does Nhamo do with the carcass she finds?
5. How is Nhamo protected when she is chased after being seen by the white family, and how does she feel about this?
6. What does Baba Joseph do to Nhamo's panga, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
7. Why does the nganga think the leopard appeared to Nhamo?
8. What does Dr. Masuku say when Nhamo moves in with her father's family?
9. What does Nhamo watch a wasp do, and what does she think of this?
10. How does Nhamo decide to avoid landmines as she continues her journey to Zimbabwe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edina is a minor character in this book who makes a huge impact on the plot. How does she accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
Essay Topic 2
The pursuit of happiness is a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embody this theme, and how does that pursuit affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What are the main friendships, and how do their inclusion in this book affect the outcome of the plot?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)