|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Efifi?
2. What do the people in the village tell Nhamo to avoid on her journey?
3. What does Musuku teach Nhamo to wear?
4. What news does a haze tell Nhamo one day at Efifi?
5. What does the family send after Nhamo when they see her in the yard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nhamo is seen by the white family?
2. How does Nhamo decide to avoid landmines as she continues her journey to Zimbabwe?
3. What happens in Nhamo's story about the farmer and the baboons?
4. What does Nhamo hear in a haze one day, and how does this affect her?
5. How is Nhamo protected when she is chased after being seen by the white family, and how does she feel about this?
6. What kinds of civilized things does Nhamo learn while she is at Efifi?
7. What happens when Dr. Van Heerden's dog comes out of his truck?
8. What does Nhamo do with the carcass she finds?
9. Why is Nhamo not allowed to stay overnight in the village?
10. Why does Nhamo have a hard time working on her boat when the dry season comes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nature plays a very tangible role in this book. What is this role, and how does it affect the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
There are many characters in this book who are manipulated and persuaded to do things they do not want to do. What are some of these instances, and how are these characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 3
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Nhamo and her mother. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)