|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Baba Joseph tell Nhamo a story?
2. Why do the baboons in Nhamo's play a prank on the farmer?
3. About what does Nhamo tell Baba Joseph?
4. Why is Nhamo not allowed to stay overnight in the village?
5. Who takes care of Nhamo when she moves to her father's family's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Dr. Van Heerden's dog comes out of his truck?
2. What happens when a baboon gets onto Nhamo's platform?
3. Where is Nhamo's father?
4. What happens when Nhamo is seen by the white family?
5. What does Nhamo realize when she sees the margarine advertisement again?
6. What happens in Nhamo's story about the farmer and the baboons?
7. Who takes Nhamo to meet her family, and how does she feel when she gets there?
8. What does Baba Joseph do to Nhamo's panga, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
9. Why does the nganga think the leopard appeared to Nhamo?
10. What does Dr. Masuku say when Nhamo moves in with her father's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 2
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal is an important theme in this book. Where does this theme appear and how does it affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)