|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nhamo do when she tends to the livestock?
2. Which baboon gets into Nhamo's platform?
3. In what form do the njuzu come?
4. Why does Dr. Masuku want to send Nhamo to the city?
5. What does the farmer in Nhamo's story do to get back at the baboons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Nhamo not allowed to stay overnight in the village?
2. Why does Nhamo have a hard time working on her boat when the dry season comes?
3. What happens when a baboon gets onto Nhamo's platform?
4. What does Nhamo realize when she sees the margarine advertisement again?
5. Who takes Nhamo to meet her family, and how does she feel when she gets there?
6. What are the people at Efifi doing?
7. What happens in Nhamo's story about the farmer and the baboons?
8. Of the staff at Efifi, who likes Nhamo the most of the staff, and why?
9. What does Dr. Masuku say when Nhamo moves in with her father's family?
10. What does Nhamo hear in a haze one day, and how does this affect her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
There are three cultures presented in this book. What are they, and how do they relate to each other? How does each of these play a role in Nhamo's life?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)