|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Nhamo spend most of her time after hearing that Dr. Masuku wants to send her to the city?
2. Why is Nhamo not afraid of the animal that killed the carcass she finds after leaving the cave?
3. What is Nhamo's aunt's name in her father's family?
4. What do the baboons do when they hear the leopard?
5. Who does Musuku want Nhamo to contact after her ceremony with Baba Joseph?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Nhamo tell Baba Joseph, and how does he respond to this?
2. What happens in Nhamo's story about the farmer and the baboons?
3. Who takes Nhamo to meet her family, and how does she feel when she gets there?
4. How is Nhamo protected when she is chased after being seen by the white family, and how does she feel about this?
5. What does Dr. Masuku say when Nhamo moves in with her father's family?
6. What does Baba Joseph do to Nhamo's panga, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
7. Why did Nhamo take such a strong liking to Dr. Masuku?
8. What does the nganga say after hearing Nhamo's story?
9. What does Nhamo hear about her village in a letter, and how does this make her feel?
10. How does Nhamo decide to avoid landmines as she continues her journey to Zimbabwe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are three cultures presented in this book. What are they, and how do they relate to each other? How does each of these play a role in Nhamo's life?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
There are a few times where Nhamo feels a complete sense of loss in this book. What are some of these moments, and how does Nhamo respond to them?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)