|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baba Joseph do with Nhamo's panga?
2. How is Nhamo injured after she attacks Dr. Van Heerden?
3. Why does Dr. Van Heerden interrupt Baba Joseph when he is trying to cure Nhamo?
4. What is destroyed when a baboon gets into Nhamo's platform?
5. About what does Baba Joseph tell Nhamo a story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a baboon gets onto Nhamo's platform?
2. What does Nhamo do just after her jar of possessions is ruined?
3. What story does Nhamo tell Baba Joseph, and how does he respond to this?
4. What does Baba Joseph do to Nhamo's panga, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
5. What does a nurse let Nhamo do that she thinks is miraculous?
6. What kinds of civilized things does Nhamo learn while she is at Efifi?
7. What happens in Nhamo's story about the farmer and the baboons?
8. What does Nhamo do with the carcass she finds?
9. Of the staff at Efifi, who likes Nhamo the most of the staff, and why?
10. What does Nhamo hear about her village in a letter, and how does this make her feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Nhamo and her mother. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how do their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Are these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)