|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nhamo's mother tell her after she learns about the leopard on the island?
2. What does Nhamo do with the carcass she finds after leaving the cave?
3. What is Efifi?
4. Which baboon gets into Nhamo's platform?
5. What does Baba Joseph do with Nhamo's panga?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Nhamo take such a strong liking to Dr. Masuku?
2. What does Nhamo do just after her jar of possessions is ruined?
3. Why does Baba Joseph think Nhamo attacked Van Heerden, and what does he do about it?
4. What does a nurse let Nhamo do that she thinks is miraculous?
5. Of the staff at Efifi, who likes Nhamo the most of the staff, and why?
6. What happens when Nhamo is seen by the white family?
7. What happens when a baboon gets onto Nhamo's platform?
8. What does Nhamo watch a wasp do, and what does she think of this?
9. Why is Nhamo not allowed to stay overnight in the village?
10. How does Nhamo decide to avoid landmines as she continues her journey to Zimbabwe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Persistence is a major attribute possessed by some of the main characters. Which characters have this trait, and how does it affect their role in the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Compassion and empathy are themes present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)