|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Efifi?
2. Who takes care of Nhamo when she moves to her father's family's house?
3. Why does Dr. Masuku want to send Nhamo to the city?
4. Who does Musuku want Nhamo to contact after her ceremony with Baba Joseph?
5. How does Nhamo feel when Dr. Masuku wants to send her to the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the nganga say after hearing Nhamo's story?
2. What does Nhamo do when she sees the first signs of the rainy season, and why?
3. What happens when Nhamo is seen by the white family?
4. What does Dr. Masuku say when Nhamo moves in with her father's family?
5. Who takes Nhamo to meet her family, and how does she feel when she gets there?
6. What does a nurse let Nhamo do that she thinks is miraculous?
7. How is Nhamo protected when she is chased after being seen by the white family, and how does she feel about this?
8. How does Nhamo decide to avoid landmines as she continues her journey to Zimbabwe?
9. Of the staff at Efifi, who likes Nhamo the most of the staff, and why?
10. What story does Nhamo tell Baba Joseph, and how does he respond to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a few times where Nhamo feels a complete sense of loss in this book. What are some of these moments, and how does Nhamo respond to them?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What are the main friendships, and how do their inclusion in this book affect the outcome of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
There are three cultures presented in this book. What are they, and how do they relate to each other? How does each of these play a role in Nhamo's life?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)