|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nhamo want to do after her possessions are ruined?
2. Why does Baba Joseph think Nhamo attacked Heerdon?
3. What time is Nhamo told to come back by her aunt?
4. What news does Nhamo get about Masvita during summer vacation?
5. Where does Nhamo stay during the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who takes Nhamo to meet her family, and how does she feel when she gets there?
2. Of the staff at Efifi, who likes Nhamo the most of the staff, and why?
3. Why does Baba Joseph think Nhamo attacked Van Heerden, and what does he do about it?
4. What happens when Dr. Van Heerden's dog comes out of his truck?
5. What does Nhamo hear in a haze one day, and how does this affect her?
6. Why is Nhamo not allowed to stay overnight in the village?
7. Why does the nganga think the leopard appeared to Nhamo?
8. What happens when Nhamo is seen by the white family?
9. What does Baba Joseph do to Nhamo's panga, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
10. What story does Nhamo tell Clever to cheer him up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 2
There are three cultures presented in this book. What are they, and how do they relate to each other? How does each of these play a role in Nhamo's life?
Essay Topic 3
There are a few times where Nhamo feels a complete sense of loss in this book. What are some of these moments, and how does Nhamo respond to them?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)