|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Nhamo's hair shaved off after she attacks Van Heerdon?
2. What does Nhamo do with the carcass she finds after leaving the cave?
3. Who takes Nhamo to meet her family?
4. What time is Nhamo told to come back by her aunt?
5. Who likes Nhamo the most at Efifi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nhamo is seen by the white family?
2. Why does Nhamo have a hard time working on her boat when the dry season comes?
3. What does Nhamo do when she sees the first signs of the rainy season, and why?
4. Why did Nhamo take such a strong liking to Dr. Masuku?
5. What does Nhamo realize when she sees the margarine advertisement again?
6. What happens when a baboon gets onto Nhamo's platform?
7. What happens in Nhamo's story about the farmer and the baboons?
8. What does Nhamo watch a wasp do, and what does she think of this?
9. What does Baba Joseph do to Nhamo's panga, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
10. Why does the nganga think the leopard appeared to Nhamo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compassion and empathy are themes present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 2
Acceptance is a strong theme in this book. Which characters present this theme, and how does it affect the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)