|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Nhamo ask about the ceremony Baba Joseph did on her?
2. Where does Nhamo get the idea to plug the holes in the boat?
3. To whom does Nhamo tell her story at her family's house?
4. Why does Baba Joseph think Nhamo attacked Heerdon?
5. What does Nhamo think when she looks in the mirror at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who takes Nhamo to meet her family, and how does she feel when she gets there?
2. What does Nhamo realize when she sees the margarine advertisement again?
3. What does a nurse let Nhamo do that she thinks is miraculous?
4. Why does the nganga think the leopard appeared to Nhamo?
5. What does Nhamo hear in a haze one day, and how does this affect her?
6. What does Nhamo do just after her jar of possessions is ruined?
7. What does Dr. Masuku say when Nhamo moves in with her father's family?
8. Why does Nhamo have a hard time working on her boat when the dry season comes?
9. What happens when a baboon gets onto Nhamo's platform?
10. What kinds of civilized things does Nhamo learn while she is at Efifi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 2
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Nature plays a very tangible role in this book. What is this role, and how does it affect the main characters?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)