|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Nhamo learns while at Efifi?
2. Why does Dr. Van Heerden not go with Nhamo the first time she approaches the family?
3. What does the nganga give Nhamo to prove her parentage?
4. What does Nhamo's mother tell her after she learns about the leopard on the island?
5. Where does Baba Joseph try to heal Nhamo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nhamo have a hard time working on her boat when the dry season comes?
2. What does the nganga say after hearing Nhamo's story?
3. Why does the nganga think the leopard appeared to Nhamo?
4. Who takes Nhamo to meet her family, and how does she feel when she gets there?
5. What are the people at Efifi doing?
6. Why did Nhamo take such a strong liking to Dr. Masuku?
7. What story does Nhamo tell Baba Joseph, and how does he respond to this?
8. What story does Nhamo tell Clever to cheer him up?
9. What does Baba Joseph do to Nhamo's panga, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
10. Why does Dr. Masuku want Nhamo to go to the city, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edina is a minor character in this book who makes a huge impact on the plot. How does she accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
Essay Topic 2
The pursuit of happiness is a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embody this theme, and how does that pursuit affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how do their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Are these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)