|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the farmer in Nhamo's story do to get back at the baboons?
2. What does Nhamo drink at Efifi that she loves more than anything else there?
3. What does Nhamo notice about the first family she sees after the storm?
4. What does the nganga give Nhamo to prove her parentage?
5. What time is Nhamo told to come back by her aunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Baba Joseph do to Nhamo's panga, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
2. What does a nurse let Nhamo do that she thinks is miraculous?
3. How is Nhamo protected when she is chased after being seen by the white family, and how does she feel about this?
4. Of the staff at Efifi, who likes Nhamo the most of the staff, and why?
5. How does Nhamo decide to avoid landmines as she continues her journey to Zimbabwe?
6. Why does Baba Joseph think Nhamo attacked Van Heerden, and what does he do about it?
7. What happens when Nhamo is seen by the white family?
8. Why does the nganga think the leopard appeared to Nhamo?
9. What are the people at Efifi doing?
10. What does Nhamo do just after her jar of possessions is ruined?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this plot and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
Essay Topic 2
There are a few times where Nhamo feels a complete sense of loss in this book. What are some of these moments, and how does Nhamo respond to them?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of different settings in this book. Describe some of these settings. Why might Nancy Farmer have chosen these settings for this plot to take place?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)