|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Nhamo offered a job during the summer?
2. With whom does Nhamo spend most of her time after hearing that Dr. Masuku wants to send her to the city?
3. Who takes Nhamo to meet her family?
4. In what form do the njuzu come?
5. Why is Nhamo not afraid of the animal that killed the carcass she finds after leaving the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nhamo is seen by the white family?
2. What does Nhamo do when she sees the first signs of the rainy season, and why?
3. What does Nhamo watch a wasp do, and what does she think of this?
4. What does Nhamo do with the carcass she finds?
5. Why does Nhamo have a hard time working on her boat when the dry season comes?
6. Why did Nhamo take such a strong liking to Dr. Masuku?
7. How does Nhamo decide to avoid landmines as she continues her journey to Zimbabwe?
8. What does the nganga say after hearing Nhamo's story?
9. What does Nhamo do just after her jar of possessions is ruined?
10. Of the staff at Efifi, who likes Nhamo the most of the staff, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Nhamo and her mother. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
There are many characters in this book who are manipulated and persuaded to do things they do not want to do. What are some of these instances, and how are these characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 3
There are a few times where Nhamo feels a complete sense of loss in this book. What are some of these moments, and how does Nhamo respond to them?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)