|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Musuku teach Nhamo to wear?
2. Where did Nhamo's grandfather make his fortune?
3. What are the people at Efifi trying to kill?
4. What kind of carcass does Nhamo find after leaving the cave?
5. What does the old man in the hospital do for Nhamo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nhamo is seen by the white family?
2. Why does the nganga think the leopard appeared to Nhamo?
3. Why does Baba Joseph think Nhamo attacked Van Heerden, and what does he do about it?
4. What are the people at Efifi doing?
5. What story does Nhamo tell Baba Joseph, and how does he respond to this?
6. What does Nhamo do just after her jar of possessions is ruined?
7. What does the nganga say after hearing Nhamo's story?
8. What story does Nhamo tell Clever to cheer him up?
9. What does a nurse let Nhamo do that she thinks is miraculous?
10. What happens in Nhamo's story about the farmer and the baboons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a prevalent literary device used by the author. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this plot and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)