|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chipo do in the days before Nhamo's wedding?
2. Where does Masvita go after the meeting with the muvuki?
3. What is Nhamo's mother's name?
4. What does Nhamo name the deformed baboon?
5. What is the hozi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rosa try to help Nhamo?
2. What does Nhamo decide to hunt, and why?
3. What changes in the village after the cholera passes?
4. What kinds of things occupy Nhamo's time when she is first settling on the island?
5. What is the story that Nhamo tells herself while waiting for her boat to be repaired?
6. What happens when Nhamo's food rations run out?
7. What does Nhamo see as a positive sign from the spirit of the dead man in the hut?
8. How does Nhamo figure out a better way to hollow out her boat?
9. What does Nhamo do when she finds all the food on the big island?
10. What does a baby baboon do to prove that Nhamo has been accepted into the tribe, and how does Nhamo respond to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Nhamo and her mother. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)