|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nhamo decide to get herself off the island?
2. Why does Ruva stop eating?
3. What is the name of the man who owns the boat that Nhamo uses to escape?
4. What does Grandmother pay to resolve the issue of the murdered man?
5. What is the name of Nhamo's favorite baboon baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes in the village after the cholera passes?
2. What happens when the baboons on the island see Nhamo?
3. What happens when Nhamo procrastinates checking her animal traps?
4. How does Rosa try to help Nhamo?
5. What happens when Nhamo's food rations run out?
6. What does Nhamo do when she finds all the food on the big island?
7. What does Grandmother reveal about Nhamo's father at the trading post?
8. What does Nhamo think her dream about Long Teats was trying to tell her?
9. What does Nhamo do to get the deformed baboon off the small island?
10. What does Nhamo do for Masvita when she can't sleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Nhamo and her mother. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
There are many characters in this book who are manipulated and persuaded to do things they do not want to do. What are some of these instances, and how are these characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 3
There are three cultures presented in this book. What are they, and how do they relate to each other? How does each of these play a role in Nhamo's life?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)