|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nhamo yell at the big island for?
2. How long does Nhamo fight the current before she sees land?
3. What useful item does Nhamo find in the hut on the island?
4. Where does Nhamo sleep while on the big island?
5. What is the name of Nhamo's favorite baboon baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nhamo's food rations run out?
2. What does the muvuki determine will be done to make payment for the dead man?
3. What changes in the village after the cholera passes?
4. What happens when Nhamo is stung while working on her boat?
5. What does Nhamo dream about after she sees the electric light?
6. How does Rosa try to help Nhamo?
7. What is the story that Nhamo tells herself while waiting for her boat to be repaired?
8. What happens when the baboons on the island see Nhamo?
9. What does Nhamo do to calm her fears while she waits for the hippos to leave?
10. Why does Grandmother say Chipo never liked Nhamo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a prevalent literary device used by the author. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how do their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Are these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are a few times where Nhamo feels a complete sense of loss in this book. What are some of these moments, and how does Nhamo respond to them?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)