Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nhamo try to imitate while learning to swim?
2. How does Nhamo harden her wood spears?
3. What does Nhamo hear as she is leaving the small island?
4. Who notices that Nhamo is jealous of Masvita's womanhood?
5. Why does Nhamo procrastinate checking her animal traps?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the nganga think the leopard appeared to Nhamo?
2. Where is Nhamo's father?
3. What does the muvuki determine will be done to make payment for the dead man?
4. Why does Grandmother say Chipo never liked Nhamo?
5. What does the nganga say after hearing Nhamo's story?
6. What does Nhamo do to calm her fears while she waits for the hippos to leave?
7. What story does Nhamo tell Clever to cheer him up?
8. What changes in the village after the cholera passes?
9. What does Nhamo dream about after she sees the electric light?
10. What does Baba Joseph do to Nhamo's panga, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
Essay Topic 1
There are many characters in this book who are manipulated and persuaded to do things they do not want to do. What are some of these instances, and how are these characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of different settings in this book. Describe some of these settings. Why might Nancy Farmer have chosen these settings for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)