|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nhamo teach herself during her boat journey?
2. Why does Nhamo procrastinate checking her animal traps?
3. What does Chipo do in the days before Nhamo's wedding?
4. Who did Useless marry?
5. Whom does Nhamo dream about going over a cliff?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nhamo procrastinates checking her animal traps?
2. What does Nhamo do to calm her fears while she waits for the hippos to leave?
3. What kinds of things occupy Nhamo's time when she is first settling on the island?
4. What does Nhamo decide to hunt, and why?
5. What story does Nhamo's grandmother tell her at the beginning of the book?
6. How does Nhamo feel when the hippos are gone, and why?
7. What happens when the baboons on the island see Nhamo?
8. What does Grandmother reveal about Nhamo's father at the trading post?
9. What does a baby baboon do to prove that Nhamo has been accepted into the tribe, and how does Nhamo respond to this?
10. What does Nhamo do in the forest when she is supposed to be collecting firewood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Persistence is a major attribute possessed by some of the main characters. Which characters have this trait, and how does it affect their role in the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The pursuit of happiness is a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embody this theme, and how does that pursuit affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
There are a few times where Nhamo feels a complete sense of loss in this book. What are some of these moments, and how does Nhamo respond to them?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)