|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What useful item does Nhamo find in the hut on the island?
2. What kind of insect does Nhamo roast to eat?
3. What do the baboons do when they see Nhamo at the river getting water?
4. What is the name of Masvita's aunt in the other village?
5. What does the sting that Nhamo gets while working on her boat cause her to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Masuku say when Nhamo moves in with her father's family?
2. What does the nganga say after hearing Nhamo's story?
3. What happens when Nhamo is seen by the white family?
4. What did Nhamo's grandmother do when her daughter was eaten by a leopard, and why is this so touching to Nhamo?
5. What does a nurse let Nhamo do that she thinks is miraculous?
6. What does Nhamo think her dream about Long Teats was trying to tell her?
7. How does Nhamo figure out a better way to hollow out her boat?
8. What story does Nhamo tell Baba Joseph, and how does he respond to this?
9. What happens when the baboons on the island see Nhamo?
10. How does Rosa try to help Nhamo?
Essay Topic 1
Persistence is a major attribute possessed by some of the main characters. Which characters have this trait, and how does it affect their role in the plot?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of different settings in this book. Describe some of these settings. Why might Nancy Farmer have chosen these settings for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Nature plays a very tangible role in this book. What is this role, and how does it affect the main characters?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)