|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps a girl when she reaches womanhood?
2. What does Nhamo get to protect her from Long Teats?
3. How does Nhamo feel when she is in the boat on her first day?
4. What does Chipo say the spirit demands in payment?
5. Where does Nhamo sleep while on the big island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nhamo see as a positive sign from the spirit of the dead man in the hut?
2. How does Nhamo feel when the hippos are gone, and why?
3. What happens to Nhamo while she is fighting against the current, and what does this mean to her?
4. What happens when Nhamo's food rations run out?
5. What did Nhamo's grandmother do when her daughter was eaten by a leopard, and why is this so touching to Nhamo?
6. What is the story that Nhamo tells herself while waiting for her boat to be repaired?
7. What does Nhamo decide to hunt, and why?
8. What kinds of things occupy Nhamo's time when she is first settling on the island?
9. What does a baby baboon do to prove that Nhamo has been accepted into the tribe, and how does Nhamo respond to this?
10. What does Nhamo think her dream about Long Teats was trying to tell her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What are the main friendships, and how do their inclusion in this book affect the outcome of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal is an important theme in this book. Where does this theme appear and how does it affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
There are many characters in this book who are manipulated and persuaded to do things they do not want to do. What are some of these instances, and how are these characters affected by the manipulation?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)