|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandmother say she wants to help Nhamo do?
2. What does the trader's wife think of the muvuki?
3. Why does Ruva stop eating?
4. How does Nhamo travel against the current?
5. Who helps a girl when she reaches womanhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nhamo feel when the hippos are gone, and why?
2. What did Nhamo's grandmother do when her daughter was eaten by a leopard, and why is this so touching to Nhamo?
3. What does Nhamo do to calm her fears while she waits for the hippos to leave?
4. What does Grandmother tell Nhamo about her mother the day Masvita enters womanhood?
5. What does Nhamo think her dream about Long Teats was trying to tell her?
6. What does Nhamo do to get the deformed baboon off the small island?
7. What does the muvuki determine will be done to make payment for the dead man?
8. What happens when Nhamo procrastinates checking her animal traps?
9. What happens when Nhamo is stung while working on her boat?
10. What does Nhamo do in the forest when she is supposed to be collecting firewood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edina is a minor character in this book who makes a huge impact on the plot. How does she accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)