Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nhamo try to imitate while learning to swim?
2. How does Nhamo harden her wood spears?
3. What does Nhamo hear as she is leaving the small island?
4. Who notices that Nhamo is jealous of Masvita's womanhood?
5. Why does Nhamo procrastinate checking her animal traps?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the nganga think the leopard appeared to Nhamo?
2. Where is Nhamo's father?
3. What does the muvuki determine will be done to make payment for the dead man?
4. Why does Grandmother say Chipo never liked Nhamo?
5. What does the nganga say after hearing Nhamo's story?
6. What does Nhamo do to calm her fears while she waits for the hippos to leave?
7. What story does Nhamo tell Clever to cheer him up?
8. What changes in the village after the cholera passes?
9. What does Nhamo dream about after she sees the electric light?
10. What does Baba Joseph do to Nhamo's panga, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
Essay Topic 1
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this plot and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of different settings in this book. Describe some of these settings. Why might Nancy Farmer have chosen these settings for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Nhamo and her mother. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)