|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nhamo see as a sign that she can keep the item she found in the hut on the island?
2. What do the baboons do when they see Nhamo at the river getting water?
3. How does Nhamo feel when she is in the boat on her first day?
4. What does Kufa say the disobedient wife was eaten by?
5. What is the hozi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story that Nhamo tells herself while waiting for her boat to be repaired?
2. How does Nhamo figure out a better way to hollow out her boat?
3. How does Rosa try to help Nhamo?
4. How does Nhamo feel when the hippos are gone, and why?
5. What does a baby baboon do to prove that Nhamo has been accepted into the tribe, and how does Nhamo respond to this?
6. What does Nhamo dream about after being stung?
7. What does Nhamo dream about after she sees the electric light?
8. What does Nhamo do when she finds all the food on the big island?
9. What does Nhamo do in the forest when she is supposed to be collecting firewood?
10. What does Grandmother reveal about Nhamo's father at the trading post?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a few times where Nhamo feels a complete sense of loss in this book. What are some of these moments, and how does Nhamo respond to them?
Essay Topic 2
Acceptance is a strong theme in this book. Which characters present this theme, and how does it affect the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Compassion and empathy are themes present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)