|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nhamo take her grandmother to see when they reach their destination?
2. Why does Ruva stop eating?
3. What kind of tree does Nhamo decide to camp by on the island?
4. Where does Kufa take the family after the cholera epidemic?
5. In a dream, what does Crocodile Guts remind Nhamo to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Nhamo while she is fighting against the current, and what does this mean to her?
2. What does Nhamo do to get the deformed baboon off the small island?
3. What does Nhamo dream about after being stung?
4. What kinds of things occupy Nhamo's time when she is first settling on the island?
5. What does a baby baboon do to prove that Nhamo has been accepted into the tribe, and how does Nhamo respond to this?
6. What does Nhamo do in the forest when she is supposed to be collecting firewood?
7. How does Nhamo figure out a better way to hollow out her boat?
8. What story does Nhamo's grandmother tell her at the beginning of the book?
9. What does Grandmother reveal about Nhamo's father at the trading post?
10. How does Nhamo feel when the hippos are gone, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this plot and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
Essay Topic 2
There are a few times where Nhamo feels a complete sense of loss in this book. What are some of these moments, and how does Nhamo respond to them?
Essay Topic 3
The pursuit of happiness is a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embody this theme, and how does that pursuit affect the characters involved?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)