|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nhamo see as a sign that she can keep the item she found in the hut on the island?
2. What does Nhamo see in the night that gives her hope?
3. What comforts Nhamo after she is stung?
4. What useful item does Nhamo find in the hut on the island?
5. In a dream, what does Crocodile Guts remind Nhamo to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nhamo dream about after she sees the electric light?
2. What happens when the baboons on the island see Nhamo?
3. What does the muvuki determine will be done to make payment for the dead man?
4. How does Nhamo feel when the hippos are gone, and why?
5. What does Nhamo dream about after being stung?
6. What does Nhamo do to get the deformed baboon off the small island?
7. What does a baby baboon do to prove that Nhamo has been accepted into the tribe, and how does Nhamo respond to this?
8. What does Nhamo do to calm her fears while she waits for the hippos to leave?
9. What does Grandmother reveal about Nhamo's father at the trading post?
10. What makes Nhamo upset as the family is travelling to the trading post, and how is this resolved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this plot and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
Essay Topic 2
Nature plays a very tangible role in this book. What is this role, and how does it affect the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)