|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ruins Nhamo's traps?
2. Who notices that Nhamo is jealous of Masvita's womanhood?
3. What shows that Masvita is entering womanhood?
4. What does Nhamo make out of the bark of the tree?
5. Who helps a girl when she reaches womanhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the nganga think the leopard appeared to Nhamo?
2. How does Nhamo feel when the hippos are gone, and why?
3. What does Nhamo decide to hunt, and why?
4. What happens when Nhamo is stung while working on her boat?
5. What does Nhamo do when she sees the first signs of the rainy season, and why?
6. Why is Nhamo not allowed to stay overnight in the village?
7. What does Nhamo do with the carcass she finds?
8. What did Nhamo's grandmother do when her daughter was eaten by a leopard, and why is this so touching to Nhamo?
9. What happens when Dr. Van Heerden's dog comes out of his truck?
10. What does a baby baboon do to prove that Nhamo has been accepted into the tribe, and how does Nhamo respond to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What are the main friendships, and how do their inclusion in this book affect the outcome of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Acceptance is a strong theme in this book. Which characters present this theme, and how does it affect the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)