|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps a girl when she reaches womanhood?
2. What does the muvuki use to diagnose the problem?
3. Where does Nhamo land after drifting unanchored all night?
4. How does Nhamo decide to get herself off the island?
5. What starts while Nhamo is fighting against the current?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Nhamo's grandmother do when her daughter was eaten by a leopard, and why is this so touching to Nhamo?
2. What does Grandmother tell Nhamo about her mother the day Masvita enters womanhood?
3. What does Nhamo do when she finds all the food on the big island?
4. Why does Grandmother say Chipo never liked Nhamo?
5. What happens to Nhamo while she is fighting against the current, and what does this mean to her?
6. What changes in the village after the cholera passes?
7. What does Nhamo do to get the deformed baboon off the small island?
8. What does Grandmother reveal about Nhamo's father at the trading post?
9. What does Nhamo dream about after being stung?
10. What does Nhamo do for Masvita when she can't sleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a few times where Nhamo feels a complete sense of loss in this book. What are some of these moments, and how does Nhamo respond to them?
Essay Topic 2
There are many characters in this book who are manipulated and persuaded to do things they do not want to do. What are some of these instances, and how are these characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 3
Nature plays a very tangible role in this book. What is this role, and how does it affect the main characters?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)