|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nhamo do in an effort to get more food?
2. Where does Kufa take the family after the cholera epidemic?
3. What does Nhamo try to imitate while learning to swim?
4. What does Nhamo take her grandmother to see when they reach their destination?
5. Who calls Nhamo's mother a witch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of things occupy Nhamo's time when she is first settling on the island?
2. What story does Nhamo's grandmother tell her at the beginning of the book?
3. What happens when Nhamo is stung while working on her boat?
4. What does Nhamo think her dream about Long Teats was trying to tell her?
5. How does Nhamo figure out a better way to hollow out her boat?
6. What does Grandmother reveal about Nhamo's father at the trading post?
7. What does Nhamo do to calm her fears while she waits for the hippos to leave?
8. What did Nhamo's grandmother do when her daughter was eaten by a leopard, and why is this so touching to Nhamo?
9. What happens when the baboons on the island see Nhamo?
10. What makes Nhamo upset as the family is travelling to the trading post, and how is this resolved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this plot and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is a prevalent literary device used by the author. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)