|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nhamo see in the night that gives her hope?
2. What does Grandmother say she wants to help Nhamo do?
3. How did Grandmother say Chipo felt when Nhamo was born?
4. What does the trader's wife think of the muvuki?
5. What does the muvuki use to diagnose the problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Nhamo while she is fighting against the current, and what does this mean to her?
2. How does Nhamo feel when the hippos are gone, and why?
3. Why does Grandmother say Chipo never liked Nhamo?
4. What does Nhamo dream about after she sees the electric light?
5. What does Nhamo think her dream about Long Teats was trying to tell her?
6. What does Nhamo dream about after being stung?
7. What does a baby baboon do to prove that Nhamo has been accepted into the tribe, and how does Nhamo respond to this?
8. What does Nhamo see as a positive sign from the spirit of the dead man in the hut?
9. How does Rosa try to help Nhamo?
10. What does Nhamo do in the forest when she is supposed to be collecting firewood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Nhamo and her mother. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Persistence is a major attribute possessed by some of the main characters. Which characters have this trait, and how does it affect their role in the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this plot and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)