Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nhamo try to imitate while learning to swim?
2. How does Nhamo harden her wood spears?
3. What does Nhamo hear as she is leaving the small island?
4. Who notices that Nhamo is jealous of Masvita's womanhood?
5. Why does Nhamo procrastinate checking her animal traps?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the nganga think the leopard appeared to Nhamo?
2. Where is Nhamo's father?
3. What does the muvuki determine will be done to make payment for the dead man?
4. Why does Grandmother say Chipo never liked Nhamo?
5. What does the nganga say after hearing Nhamo's story?
6. What does Nhamo do to calm her fears while she waits for the hippos to leave?
7. What story does Nhamo tell Clever to cheer him up?
8. What changes in the village after the cholera passes?
9. What does Nhamo dream about after she sees the electric light?
10. What does Baba Joseph do to Nhamo's panga, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal is an important theme in this book. Where does this theme appear and how does it affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how do their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Are these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)