|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chipo do in the days before Nhamo's wedding?
2. In what lake is the island?
3. What is Nhamo's most prized possession?
4. What chore is Masvita doing while Nhamo prepares dinner?
5. What is the hozi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of things occupy Nhamo's time when she is first settling on the island?
2. What happens when Nhamo procrastinates checking her animal traps?
3. What does the muvuki determine will be done to make payment for the dead man?
4. What does Nhamo dream about after she sees the electric light?
5. What does Nhamo do to calm her fears while she waits for the hippos to leave?
6. What does Nhamo do in the forest when she is supposed to be collecting firewood?
7. How does Nhamo feel when the hippos are gone, and why?
8. What does a baby baboon do to prove that Nhamo has been accepted into the tribe, and how does Nhamo respond to this?
9. Why does Grandmother say Chipo never liked Nhamo?
10. What story does Nhamo's grandmother tell her at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compassion and empathy are themes present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 2
Edina is a minor character in this book who makes a huge impact on the plot. How does she accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
Essay Topic 3
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this plot and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)