|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chore is Masvita doing while Nhamo prepares dinner?
2. What does the muvuki use to diagnose the problem?
3. Where does Masvita go after the meeting with the muvuki?
4. What does Nhamo take her grandmother to see when they reach their destination?
5. What is the name of the trader's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grandmother reveal about Nhamo's father at the trading post?
2. Why does Grandmother say Chipo never liked Nhamo?
3. What does a baby baboon do to prove that Nhamo has been accepted into the tribe, and how does Nhamo respond to this?
4. What kinds of things occupy Nhamo's time when she is first settling on the island?
5. What is the story that Nhamo tells herself while waiting for her boat to be repaired?
6. What does Nhamo think her dream about Long Teats was trying to tell her?
7. What does Nhamo do when she finds all the food on the big island?
8. What does Nhamo dream about after she sees the electric light?
9. What does Nhamo do to get the deformed baboon off the small island?
10. What happens to Nhamo while she is fighting against the current, and what does this mean to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
Essay Topic 2
There are a few times where Nhamo feels a complete sense of loss in this book. What are some of these moments, and how does Nhamo respond to them?
Essay Topic 3
The pursuit of happiness is a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embody this theme, and how does that pursuit affect the characters involved?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)