|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. Van Heerden not go with Nhamo the first time she approaches the family?
(a) He is white.
(b) Nhamo asks to go alone.
(c) He has an appointment.
(d) He does not want to intrude.
2. What does Muzuku say to Nhamo as she is preparing to live with her father's family?
(a) She should be proud of her accomplishments.
(b) She hopes they meet again someday.
(c) She made it.
(d) She can always come back to Efifi.
3. What news does Nhamo get about Masvita during summer vacation?
(a) She had another baby.
(b) Her monthly bleeding never came back.
(c) She died.
(d) She is married to the man Nhamo was promised to.
4. What kind of house does Nhamo's family live in?
5. What makes Nhamo so listless as she works on her boat?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Nhamo angry at herself when the first signs of the rainy season appear?
2. Why does Dr. Masuku not want to get married?
3. What does the nganga give Nhamo to prove her parentage?
4. Which of the following do Baba Joseph's people NOT do with hot coals?
5. What is Nhamo's mother doing in her dream after she sees the goat underground?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Masuku want Nhamo to go to the city, and how does Nhamo feel about this?
2. Why does Nhamo have a hard time working on her boat when the dry season comes?
3. Why is Nhamo not allowed to stay overnight in the village?
4. How does Nhamo decide to avoid landmines as she continues her journey to Zimbabwe?
5. What does Nhamo do just after her jar of possessions is ruined?
6. What happens when a baboon gets onto Nhamo's platform?
7. What does Dr. Masuku say when Nhamo moves in with her father's family?
8. What does a nurse let Nhamo do that she thinks is miraculous?
9. What does Nhamo hear in a haze one day, and how does this affect her?
10. Why does Baba Joseph think Nhamo attacked Van Heerden, and what does he do about it?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)