|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a zango?
(a) A valuable jewel.
(b) A family crest.
(c) A charm against witches.
(d) A sign of the epidemic.
2. What kind of insect does Nhamo roast to eat?
3. How long does Nhamo fight the current before she sees land?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) A week.
(c) A day and a night.
(d) Several days.
4. How does Nhamo travel against the current?
(a) She lets the wind blow her.
(b) She zigzags.
(c) She turns the boat in wide circles.
(d) She paddles hard when the current is weak.
5. What does Nhamo do to get Ruva to eat?
(a) Tells her the family is well.
(b) Reminds her of her mother's dying wish.
(c) Tells a story.
(d) Makes her favorite food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Long Teats eat?
2. What is Nhamo's mother's name?
3. What does Nhamo try to imitate while learning to swim?
4. What was wrong with Masvita after the cholera epidemic?
5. What killed Nhamo's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Grandmother say Chipo never liked Nhamo?
2. What does the muvuki determine will be done to make payment for the dead man?
3. What changes in the village after the cholera passes?
4. What kinds of things occupy Nhamo's time when she is first settling on the island?
5. What does Nhamo decide to hunt, and why?
6. What does Nhamo do in the forest when she is supposed to be collecting firewood?
7. What did Nhamo's grandmother do when her daughter was eaten by a leopard, and why is this so touching to Nhamo?
8. What does a baby baboon do to prove that Nhamo has been accepted into the tribe, and how does Nhamo respond to this?
9. How does Nhamo figure out a better way to hollow out her boat?
10. What does Nhamo do to calm her fears while she waits for the hippos to leave?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)