|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Masvita's aunt in the other village?
2. Where does Kufa take the family after the cholera epidemic?
(a) The great falls.
(b) The cleanser.
(c) The burial grounds.
(d) The trading post.
3. What does the sting that Nhamo gets while working on her boat cause her to do?
(b) Lose feeling in her hand.
(c) Swell up.
4. How does Nhamo harden her wood spears?
(a) She lines them with rocks.
(b) She burns them.
(c) She wets them.
(d) She whittles them.
5. In a dream, what does Crocodile Guts remind Nhamo to do?
(a) Pack food for her journey.
(b) Have faith in her abilities.
(c) Listen to the njuzu.
(d) Thank the ancestors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nhamo sleep while on the big island?
2. What killed Nhamo's mother?
3. What does Chipo say the spirit demands in payment?
4. What does Nhamo do with the fish she catches?
5. How does Nhamo travel against the current?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nhamo's food rations run out?
2. Where is Nhamo's father?
3. What does Grandmother tell Nhamo about her mother the day Masvita enters womanhood?
4. What story does Nhamo tell Baba Joseph, and how does he respond to this?
5. What does Nhamo dream about after she sees the electric light?
6. What does a nurse let Nhamo do that she thinks is miraculous?
7. What does Nhamo do just after her jar of possessions is ruined?
8. What story does Nhamo's grandmother tell her at the beginning of the book?
9. What does Nhamo hear about her village in a letter, and how does this make her feel?
10. What does Nhamo see as a positive sign from the spirit of the dead man in the hut?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)