|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shows that Masvita is entering womanhood?
(a) Her sprouting bosoms.
(b) Her prominent brow.
(c) Her monthly bleeding.
(d) Her long hair.
2. What does Nhamo get stung by while working on her boat?
(a) A horned beetle.
(b) A scorpion.
(c) A bee.
(d) A hornet.
3. What is Princess Senwa's husband's name?
4. How does Nhamo decide to get herself off the island?
(a) Repair the damaged boat.
(b) Build a new boat.
(c) Swim with the current.
(d) Wait for more humans.
5. What does Nhamo do to get Ruva to eat?
(a) Tells a story.
(b) Makes her favorite food.
(c) Reminds her of her mother's dying wish.
(d) Tells her the family is well.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chipo not like about the boat?
2. Why is the boy in Nhamo's story making a rope?
3. How old was Nhamo when her mother died?
4. What does the sting that Nhamo gets while working on her boat cause her to do?
5. Where does Kufa take the family after the cholera epidemic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the baboons on the island see Nhamo?
2. What does a baby baboon do to prove that Nhamo has been accepted into the tribe, and how does Nhamo respond to this?
3. What kinds of things occupy Nhamo's time when she is first settling on the island?
4. What does Grandmother tell Nhamo about her mother the day Masvita enters womanhood?
5. What does Grandmother reveal about Nhamo's father at the trading post?
6. What story does Nhamo's grandmother tell her at the beginning of the book?
7. What is the story that Nhamo tells herself while waiting for her boat to be repaired?
8. What happens to Nhamo while she is fighting against the current, and what does this mean to her?
9. What happens when Nhamo's food rations run out?
10. What does Nhamo dream about after being stung?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)