|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Kufa take the family after the cholera epidemic?
(a) The burial grounds.
(b) The great falls.
(c) The trading post.
(d) The cleanser.
2. What does Nhamo take her grandmother to see when they reach their destination?
(a) A snake charmer.
(b) A wrestling match.
(c) A television.
(d) A guitar player.
3. What are njuzu?
(a) Nutritional water plants.
(b) River scavengers.
(c) Water spirits.
(d) Strange waves.
4. How does Nhamo feel when she is in the boat on her first day?
5. What is a nganga?
(a) A leader.
(b) A healer.
(c) A sorcerer.
(d) A priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was wrong with Masvita after the cholera epidemic?
2. What is Nhamo's most prized possession?
3. What does Nhamo's family do when they return to their village?
4. What does Nhamo name the deformed baboon?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the food items Nhamo finds on the big island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nhamo do in the forest when she is supposed to be collecting firewood?
2. What story does Nhamo's grandmother tell her at the beginning of the book?
3. What does a baby baboon do to prove that Nhamo has been accepted into the tribe, and how does Nhamo respond to this?
4. What kinds of things occupy Nhamo's time when she is first settling on the island?
5. How does Rosa try to help Nhamo?
6. What does Nhamo see as a positive sign from the spirit of the dead man in the hut?
7. What happens when Nhamo's food rations run out?
8. How does Nhamo figure out a better way to hollow out her boat?
9. What does Nhamo do when she finds all the food on the big island?
10. What does Nhamo do to get the deformed baboon off the small island?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)