|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nhamo want to do on the tiny island off of the big island?
(a) Make a fire pit.
(b) Smoke meat.
(c) Build a house.
(d) Plant her garden.
2. Why does Ruva stop eating?
(a) She wants the sick people to have her share.
(b) She wants to die to be with her mother.
(c) She is worried about her family.
(d) She is sick.
3. How does Nhamo travel against the current?
(a) She turns the boat in wide circles.
(b) She zigzags.
(c) She lets the wind blow her.
(d) She paddles hard when the current is weak.
4. Where does Masvita go after the meeting with the muvuki?
(a) The inn.
(b) Vatete's village.
(c) Her home village.
(d) The trader's house.
5. How did Grandmother say Chipo felt when Nhamo was born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nhamo yell at the big island for?
2. What is Nhamo's most prized possession?
3. What is the name of Masvita's aunt in the other village?
4. In what lake is the island?
5. In a dream, what does Crocodile Guts remind Nhamo to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the baboons on the island see Nhamo?
2. What does Grandmother tell Nhamo about her mother the day Masvita enters womanhood?
3. What does Nhamo do to calm her fears while she waits for the hippos to leave?
4. What does a baby baboon do to prove that Nhamo has been accepted into the tribe, and how does Nhamo respond to this?
5. What did Nhamo's grandmother do when her daughter was eaten by a leopard, and why is this so touching to Nhamo?
6. What does Nhamo see as a positive sign from the spirit of the dead man in the hut?
7. How does Grandmother want Nhamo to escape?
8. What story does Nhamo's grandmother tell her at the beginning of the book?
9. What does Nhamo do in the forest when she is supposed to be collecting firewood?
10. What makes Nhamo upset as the family is travelling to the trading post, and how is this resolved?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)