|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nhamo do with the fish she catches?
(a) Smokes them.
(b) Dries them.
(c) Uses them in animal traps.
(d) Eats them.
2. In a dream, what does Crocodile Guts remind Nhamo to do?
(a) Have faith in her abilities.
(b) Listen to the njuzu.
(c) Thank the ancestors.
(d) Pack food for her journey.
3. Why is Nhamo so afraid when she dreams about Crocodile Guts?
(a) She lied to him.
(b) He was always mean to her.
(c) He is dead.
(d) She took his boat.
4. Where does Kufa take the family after the cholera epidemic?
(a) The trading post.
(b) The cleanser.
(c) The great falls.
(d) The burial grounds.
5. Where does Masvita go after the meeting with the muvuki?
(a) The trader's house.
(b) Vatete's village.
(c) The inn.
(d) Her home village.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chore is Masvita doing while Nhamo prepares dinner?
2. What does Chipo not like about the boat?
3. What does Nhamo name the deformed baboon?
4. What is the name of Masvita's aunt in the other village?
5. What is Nhamo's mother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Grandmother say Chipo never liked Nhamo?
2. What does Grandmother tell Nhamo about her mother the day Masvita enters womanhood?
3. What happens when Nhamo procrastinates checking her animal traps?
4. What kinds of things occupy Nhamo's time when she is first settling on the island?
5. What does Nhamo dream about after she sees the electric light?
6. How does Nhamo feel when the hippos are gone, and why?
7. What happens when the baboons on the island see Nhamo?
8. What does the muvuki determine will be done to make payment for the dead man?
9. What makes Nhamo upset as the family is travelling to the trading post, and how is this resolved?
10. What does a baby baboon do to prove that Nhamo has been accepted into the tribe, and how does Nhamo respond to this?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)