|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nhamo do with the fish she catches?
(a) Eats them.
(b) Uses them in animal traps.
(c) Dries them.
(d) Smokes them.
2. Why is Nhamo sitting in a fig tree at the beginning of the book?
(a) She is hiding from some boys.
(b) She is trying to avoid doing chores.
(c) She is getting out of the heat.
(d) She is gathering figs for dinner.
3. What is a zango?
(a) A family crest.
(b) A valuable jewel.
(c) A charm against witches.
(d) A sign of the epidemic.
4. Why does Ruva stop eating?
(a) She wants to die to be with her mother.
(b) She is worried about her family.
(c) She wants the sick people to have her share.
(d) She is sick.
5. What do the baboons refuse to do for the deformed baboon?
(a) Sleep near him.
(b) Hunt for him.
(c) Groom him.
(d) Protect him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the food items Nhamo finds on the big island?
2. What does Nhamo see as a sign that she can keep the item she found in the hut on the island?
3. What does Nhamo get to protect her from Long Teats?
4. How does Nhamo feel when she is in the boat on her first day?
5. Where does Nhamo get the clay she uses to repair her boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nhamo do in the forest when she is supposed to be collecting firewood?
2. What does Nhamo dream about after being stung?
3. Why does the nganga think the leopard appeared to Nhamo?
4. What happens when Dr. Van Heerden's dog comes out of his truck?
5. What does Nhamo do when she finds all the food on the big island?
6. What are the people at Efifi doing?
7. How is Nhamo protected when she is chased after being seen by the white family, and how does she feel about this?
8. What story does Nhamo tell Clever to cheer him up?
9. How does Rosa try to help Nhamo?
10. What does the muvuki determine will be done to make payment for the dead man?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)