|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the trader's wife?
2. Who did Useless marry?
(a) A princess.
(b) A muzuki.
(c) A nganga.
(d) A njuzu.
3. How long does Nhamo fight the current before she sees land?
(a) Several days.
(b) A day and a night.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) A week.
4. Where does Kufa take the family after the cholera epidemic?
(a) The great falls.
(b) The trading post.
(c) The burial grounds.
(d) The cleanser.
5. What does Nhamo take her grandmother to see when they reach their destination?
(a) A wrestling match.
(b) A guitar player.
(c) A television.
(d) A snake charmer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Grandmother say Chipo felt when Nhamo was born?
2. What does Nhamo see in the night that gives her hope?
3. What did Princess Senwa do when her husband betrayed her?
4. How does Nhamo decide to get herself off the island?
5. What does Nhamo do with the fish she catches?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Nhamo while she is fighting against the current, and what does this mean to her?
2. What story does Nhamo's grandmother tell her at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Nhamo decide to hunt, and why?
4. How does Rosa try to help Nhamo?
5. What changes in the village after the cholera passes?
6. What happens when Nhamo's food rations run out?
7. What is the story that Nhamo tells herself while waiting for her boat to be repaired?
8. What makes Nhamo upset as the family is travelling to the trading post, and how is this resolved?
9. What kinds of things occupy Nhamo's time when she is first settling on the island?
10. What did Nhamo's grandmother do when her daughter was eaten by a leopard, and why is this so touching to Nhamo?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)