|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the boy in Nhamo's story making a rope?
(a) To climb to the sky.
(b) To pull his grandmother's farm closer.
(c) To tie up his future wife.
(d) To wrap the world.
2. In a dream, what does Crocodile Guts remind Nhamo to do?
(a) Pack food for her journey.
(b) Thank the ancestors.
(c) Listen to the njuzu.
(d) Have faith in her abilities.
3. What does Grandmother pay to resolve the issue of the murdered man?
(a) Two months of wheat harvest.
(b) Two cows.
(c) Two sacks of mealies.
(d) Two pounds of sugar cane.
4. Who did Useless marry?
(a) A princess.
(b) A muzuki.
(c) A nganga.
(d) A njuzu.
5. How old was Nhamo when her mother died?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Nhamo compare the trading post?
2. What does the muvuki use to diagnose the problem?
3. What does Nhamo get to protect her from Long Teats?
4. What does Nhamo see as a sign that she can keep the item she found in the hut on the island?
5. What does Nhamo have to fight off when she first gets to the big island?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nhamo feel when the hippos are gone, and why?
2. What does Nhamo realize when she sees the margarine advertisement again?
3. Why does Grandmother say Chipo never liked Nhamo?
4. Why does Nhamo have a hard time working on her boat when the dry season comes?
5. What does Nhamo dream about after she sees the electric light?
6. What story does Nhamo tell Clever to cheer him up?
7. What does Nhamo decide to hunt, and why?
8. What does Nhamo do to calm her fears while she waits for the hippos to leave?
9. Why did Nhamo take such a strong liking to Dr. Masuku?
10. What kinds of civilized things does Nhamo learn while she is at Efifi?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)