|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Grandmother say Chipo felt when Nhamo was born?
2. What useful item does Nhamo find in the hut on the island?
(a) Some rope.
(b) A rudding stick.
(c) A shovel.
(d) A knife.
3. Where does Masvita go after the meeting with the muvuki?
(a) Vatete's village.
(b) The inn.
(c) The trader's house.
(d) Her home village.
4. What does Nhamo do in an effort to get more food?
(a) Follows animal tracks.
(b) Dries her fruit.
(c) Follows the baboons.
(d) Plants a larger garden.
5. What ruins Nhamo's traps?
(a) A baboon.
(b) A wild cat.
(c) A large bird.
(d) A snake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who notices that Nhamo is jealous of Masvita's womanhood?
2. What does Nhamo name the deformed baboon?
3. Whom does Nhamo dream about going over a cliff?
4. Why is Nhamo sitting in a fig tree at the beginning of the book?
5. What does Nhamo use to hollow out her boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the baboons on the island see Nhamo?
2. What does Nhamo do in the forest when she is supposed to be collecting firewood?
3. What happens when Nhamo is stung while working on her boat?
4. What does Nhamo do to get the deformed baboon off the small island?
5. What does Nhamo see as a positive sign from the spirit of the dead man in the hut?
6. What does Nhamo decide to hunt, and why?
7. What does Nhamo do to calm her fears while she waits for the hippos to leave?
8. What does Nhamo dream about after she sees the electric light?
9. What does Grandmother tell Nhamo about her mother the day Masvita enters womanhood?
10. What kinds of things occupy Nhamo's time when she is first settling on the island?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)