|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nhamo do with the carcass she finds after leaving the cave?
(a) Skins it.
(b) Takes some meat to smoke it.
(c) Buries it.
(d) Prays over it.
2. Where does Nhamo get the idea to plug the holes in the boat?
(a) Watching sap drip.
(b) Her mother whispers to her.
(c) A memory of Crocodile Guts.
(d) Watching termites repair their nest.
3. What does Nhamo watch a wasp kill?
(a) Another wasp.
(b) A hornet.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A spider.
4. What does Nhamo do to comfort her cousin who gets teased?
(a) Plays a game.
(b) Sings a song.
(c) Makes some food.
(d) Tells a story.
5. What does the bright light Nhamo sees turn out to be?
(a) A house.
(b) A car.
(c) A store.
(d) A star.
6. Where did Nhamo's grandfather make his fortune?
(a) In the research profession.
(b) In the chrome mines.
(c) In the steel mines.
(d) In the fishing business.
7. Why is Nhamo not allowed to stay overnight in the village?
(a) She talks about her fondness for the baboons.
(b) She tells them the leopard is tracking her.
(c) She mentions that she talks to spirits.
(d) She tells them she is from another country.
8. What kind of animal does Nhamo think lives in the cave with the tree?
9. Which of the following spirits does NOT come to Nhamo to speak with her at the end of the book?
(b) Proud Jongwe.
10. What does Nhamo notice about the first family she sees after the storm?
(a) They have strange hair.
(b) They are white.
(c) They are fat.
(d) They are naked.
11. Which of the following do Baba Joseph's people NOT do with hot coals?
(a) Roll on them.
(b) Cook over them.
(c) Eat them.
(d) Walk on them.
12. What does Nhamo call Dr. Masuku?
13. Why does Dr. Masuku not want to get married?
(a) Her mother told her not to.
(b) It is old fashioned.
(c) She is wealthy.
(d) It is like slavery.
14. Where does Nhamo go for summer vacation?
(a) Her home village.
(b) The island.
(c) Her father's mountain.
15. Who does Musuku want Nhamo to contact after her ceremony with Baba Joseph?
(a) Her family.
(b) Her father.
(c) A school.
(d) An orphanage.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Baba Joseph tell Nhamo a story?
2. What are the people at Efifi trying to kill?
3. Where is Nhamo offered a job during the summer?
4. Why does Nhamo attack Dr. Van Heerden when he comes back from the city?
5. What does the family send after Nhamo when they see her in the yard?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)