|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Van Heerden bring back with him from the city?
(a) Some candy.
(b) Educational books.
(c) Medical supplies.
(d) His dog.
2. What does the wasp do after killing something in front of Nhamo?
(a) Flies away.
(c) Eats his prize.
(d) Lays some eggs.
3. How are Nhamo and the nganga related?
(a) He is her uncle.
(b) He is her great-uncle.
(c) He is her grandfather.
(d) He is her great-grandfather.
4. Why does the person Nhamo talks to at her family's house accept her?
(a) She is a person in need.
(b) She has lived an amazing life.
(c) She looks like his first wife.
(d) She is pretty.
5. In what form do the njuzu come?
(b) Small beetles.
6. Why does Dr. Van Heerden interrupt Baba Joseph when he is trying to cure Nhamo?
(a) His shift has started.
(b) He is worried about her.
(c) He doesn't want a law suit.
(d) He needs to speak to Nhamo.
7. What does Nhamo's mother tell her after she learns about the leopard on the island?
(a) To protect herself.
(b) To not worry.
(c) To leave soon.
(d) To be careful.
8. Which of the following spirits does NOT come to Nhamo to speak with her at the end of the book?
(c) Proud Jongwe.
9. What does the old man in the hospital do for Nhamo?
(a) Brushes her hair.
(b) Sings to her.
(c) Feeds her.
(d) Reads to her.
10. What does the farmer in Nhamo's story do to get back at the baboons?
(a) Poisons the waterhole.
(b) Digs a pit.
(c) Takes their food.
(d) Kidnaps their leader.
11. What do the people in the village tell Nhamo to avoid on her journey?
(a) The border patrol.
(b) Speaking her native language.
(c) Angering the leopard.
(d) Talking to spirits.
12. What are the people at Efifi trying to kill?
13. What does Nhamo want to do after her possessions are ruined?
14. What kind of carcass does Nhamo find after leaving the cave?
15. Where did Nhamo's grandfather make his fortune?
(a) In the chrome mines.
(b) In the research profession.
(c) In the fishing business.
(d) In the steel mines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Musuku teach Nhamo to wear?
2. Why does Dr. Masuku want to send Nhamo to the city?
3. Why does Dr. Van Heerden not go with Nhamo the first time she approaches the family?
4. What is destroyed when a baboon gets into Nhamo's platform?
5. What does Nhamo think when she looks in the mirror at the hospital?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)