|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes Nhamo to meet her family?
(a) Sister Gina.
(b) Sister Gladys.
(c) Sister Martha.
(d) Sister Mary.
2. About what does Nhamo tell Baba Joseph?
(a) Long Teats.
(b) Sacrificing cows.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her journey.
3. What kind of animal does Nhamo think lives in the cave with the tree?
4. How are Nhamo and the nganga related?
(a) He is her great-grandfather.
(b) He is her grandfather.
(c) He is her great-uncle.
(d) He is her uncle.
5. Where does Baba Joseph try to heal Nhamo?
(a) In her room.
(b) On a mountain.
(c) In a church.
(d) In the livestock pen.
6. Why is Nhamo not afraid of the animal that killed the carcass she finds after leaving the cave?
(a) She knows it would not attack her.
(b) She thinks it is asleep.
(c) She has her knife with her.
(d) She is too hungry.
7. Why does Dr. Masuku not want to get married?
(a) Her mother told her not to.
(b) It is like slavery.
(c) She is wealthy.
(d) It is old fashioned.
8. What does Nhamo call Dr. Masuku?
9. Who does the woman in the margarine ad look like?
(c) Nhamo's grandmother.
10. What was Nhamo's father's totem animal?
11. Which of the following do Baba Joseph's people NOT do with hot coals?
(a) Cook over them.
(b) Roll on them.
(c) Walk on them.
(d) Eat them.
12. What does Muzuku say to Nhamo as she is preparing to live with her father's family?
(a) She made it.
(b) She should be proud of her accomplishments.
(c) She hopes they meet again someday.
(d) She can always come back to Efifi.
13. What does Dr. Van Heerden bring back with him from the city?
(a) Some candy.
(b) Medical supplies.
(c) His dog.
(d) Educational books.
14. Who takes care of Nhamo when she moves to her father's family's house?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) The ngaga.
(c) The servants.
(d) Her aunt.
15. What do the people in the village tell Nhamo to avoid on her journey?
(a) The border patrol.
(b) Talking to spirits.
(c) Speaking her native language.
(d) Angering the leopard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Van Heerden not go with Nhamo the first time she approaches the family?
2. What does Nhamo's mother tell her after she learns about the leopard on the island?
3. Where does Van Heerden tell Nhamo to put her grandmother's gold?
4. Which of the following spirits does NOT come to Nhamo to speak with her at the end of the book?
5. Where does Nhamo stay during the storm?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)