|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes care of Nhamo when she moves to her father's family's house?
(a) The servants.
(b) The ngaga.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her grandfather.
2. What does Nhamo do when she finds a goat underground?
(a) Lay down with it.
(b) Drinks some milk.
(c) Kills and eats it.
(d) Chases it away.
3. Why do the baboons in Nhamo's play a prank on the farmer?
(a) The farmer does not share his food.
(b) The baboons think he killed their leader.
(c) The baboons want his hut.
(d) The farmer took their land.
4. What is the name of the cousin that Nhamo becomes close with after moving in with her father's family?
5. What does the farmer in Nhamo's story do to get back at the baboons?
(a) Digs a pit.
(b) Takes their food.
(c) Poisons the waterhole.
(d) Kidnaps their leader.
6. How does Nhamo feel when Dr. Masuku wants to send her to the city?
7. Why does Dr. Van Heerden not go with Nhamo the first time she approaches the family?
(a) He does not want to intrude.
(b) He has an appointment.
(c) He is white.
(d) Nhamo asks to go alone.
8. What does the roar of the leopard remind Nhamo of?
(a) The day her mother died.
(b) The carcass she ate.
(c) The urgency of her departure.
(d) The totem animal of her father.
9. What kind of carcass does Nhamo find after leaving the cave?
10. Why does Nhamo attack Dr. Van Heerden when he comes back from the city?
(a) She thinks his dogs are attacking her.
(b) She thinks he wants her to leave.
(c) She thinks he is a bad spirit.
(d) She thinks he wants to experiment on her.
11. What is Nhamo's aunt's name in her father's family?
12. What kind of tree sap does Nhamo use to plug the holes in the boat?
(d) Lucky Bean.
13. Where is Nhamo offered a job during the summer?
(a) The college.
(c) A mine.
(d) A hotel.
14. What is Nhamo's mother doing in her dream after she sees the goat underground?
15. Where does Nhamo stay during the storm?
(a) An abandoned hut.
(b) In a cave.
(c) A hollow tree.
(d) Her overturned boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the woman in the margarine ad look like?
2. What does Nhamo call Dr. Masuku?
3. In what form do the njuzu come?
4. Who does Musuku want Nhamo to contact after her ceremony with Baba Joseph?
5. What makes Nhamo so listless as she works on her boat?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)