|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Nhamo's hair shaved off after she attacks Van Heerdon?
(a) It is part of her repentance.
(b) She is being punished.
(c) They want to do a head scan.
(d) Demons get tangled in hair.
2. What are the people at Efifi trying to kill?
3. What is destroyed when a baboon gets into Nhamo's platform?
(a) The magazine cover.
(b) Her clothing.
(c) The knife.
(d) Half of her meat supply.
4. What does Baba Joseph do with Nhamo's panga?
(a) Cracks it.
(b) Paints it.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Buries it.
5. Why does Dr. Masuku want to send Nhamo to the city?
(a) To find her father.
(b) To heal from her illness.
(c) To get out of the way.
(d) To go to school.
6. How is Nhamo injured after she attacks Dr. Van Heerden?
(a) Her head is bruised.
(b) Her hand is cut.
(c) Her wrist is broken.
(d) Her ankle is sprained.
7. What does Nhamo's mother tell her after she learns about the leopard on the island?
(a) To be careful.
(b) To leave soon.
(c) To not worry.
(d) To protect herself.
8. What does the old man in the hospital do for Nhamo?
(a) Feeds her.
(b) Sings to her.
(c) Reads to her.
(d) Brushes her hair.
9. What signals the beginning of the rainy season?
(a) Warm breezes.
(b) Green grass.
(c) Budding trees.
10. Who is the first person Nhamo sees when she wakes up?
(a) Father Jasuka.
(b) Mr. Heerden.
(c) Baba Joseph.
(d) Dr. Masuku.
11. What does the roar of the leopard remind Nhamo of?
(a) The carcass she ate.
(b) The urgency of her departure.
(c) The totem animal of her father.
(d) The day her mother died.
12. What kind of tree sap does Nhamo use to plug the holes in the boat?
(b) Lucky Bean.
13. What does Nhamo think when she looks in the mirror at the hospital?
(a) She is surprised.
(b) She is disgusted.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is disbelieving.
14. Why is Nhamo so shocked about her doctor?
(a) He is old.
(b) He is young.
(c) He is white.
(d) He is tall.
15. Where does Van Heerden tell Nhamo to put her grandmother's gold?
(a) Her great-grandfather's account.
(b) A safety deposit box.
(c) His safe keeping.
(d) A bank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time is Nhamo told to come back by her aunt?
2. What does Nhamo do when she sees her doctor for the first time?
3. What does Nhamo notice about the first family she sees after the storm?
4. What does the bright light Nhamo sees turn out to be?
5. What kind of tree does Nhamo find in a cave?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)