|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nhamo have to fight off when she first gets to the big island?
(a) A jaguar.
(b) A lemur.
(c) A crocodile.
(d) A baboon.
2. What does the trader's wife think of the muvuki?
(a) He is a wise man.
(b) He is a fraud.
(c) He is crazy.
(d) He is greedy.
3. What does Nhamo take her grandmother to see when they reach their destination?
(a) A wrestling match.
(b) A television.
(c) A guitar player.
(d) A snake charmer.
4. What does Nhamo hear as she is leaving the small island?
(a) A roar of an animal.
(b) Her mother and Crocodile Guts.
(c) The wind.
(d) The njuzu singing.
5. What kind of animal causes Nhamo to take a break from her boating?
6. How does Nhamo decide to get herself off the island?
(a) Wait for more humans.
(b) Build a new boat.
(c) Swim with the current.
(d) Repair the damaged boat.
7. Who did Useless marry?
(a) A princess.
(b) A nganga.
(c) A muzuki.
(d) A njuzu.
8. What are njuzu?
(a) Nutritional water plants.
(b) River scavengers.
(c) Water spirits.
(d) Strange waves.
9. Where does Nhamo get the clay she uses to repair her boat?
(a) A baboon nest.
(b) The river banks.
(c) A beaver dam.
(d) A termite hill.
10. Why does Nhamo procrastinate checking her animal traps?
(a) It is getting dark.
(b) She has other things to do.
(c) She does not need food.
(d) She is dizzy.
11. What does Nhamo do to get Ruva to eat?
(a) Makes her favorite food.
(b) Reminds her of her mother's dying wish.
(c) Tells her the family is well.
(d) Tells a story.
12. What does Nhamo use to wash the dishes?
(a) Waterless soap.
(b) Ash and sand.
(c) River water.
(d) Bathing water.
13. Who tells Nhamo to find more people in her life?
(a) Her grandmother's spirit.
(b) Crocodile Guts.
(c) Her mother.
(d) The Njuzu.
14. Why does Ruva stop eating?
(a) She is sick.
(b) She wants the sick people to have her share.
(c) She wants to die to be with her mother.
(d) She is worried about her family.
15. What does Chipo say the spirit demands in payment?
(a) More money.
(c) Another cow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nhamo do with the fish she catches?
2. Who tells Nhamo to start working on her boat?
3. What is the name of the trader's wife?
4. Who calls Nhamo's mother a witch?
5. What ruins Nhamo's traps?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)