|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who notices that Nhamo is jealous of Masvita's womanhood?
2. How does Nhamo harden her wood spears?
(a) She wets them.
(b) She whittles them.
(c) She lines them with rocks.
(d) She burns them.
3. What does Nhamo take her grandmother to see when they reach their destination?
(a) A television.
(b) A snake charmer.
(c) A guitar player.
(d) A wrestling match.
4. What does Grandmother pay to resolve the issue of the murdered man?
(a) Two sacks of mealies.
(b) Two cows.
(c) Two pounds of sugar cane.
(d) Two months of wheat harvest.
5. What is the name of Nhamo's favorite baboon baby?
6. To what does Nhamo compare the baboons as she watches them by the river?
7. Why is Nhamo sitting in a fig tree at the beginning of the book?
(a) She is hiding from some boys.
(b) She is getting out of the heat.
(c) She is trying to avoid doing chores.
(d) She is gathering figs for dinner.
8. Why does Ruva stop eating?
(a) She wants the sick people to have her share.
(b) She is worried about her family.
(c) She wants to die to be with her mother.
(d) She is sick.
9. What is the name of Masvita's aunt in the other village?
10. What is Princess Senwa's husband's name?
11. What does Nhamo do in an effort to get more food?
(a) Plants a larger garden.
(b) Follows the baboons.
(c) Dries her fruit.
(d) Follows animal tracks.
12. What does Nhamo use to wash the dishes?
(a) River water.
(b) Ash and sand.
(c) Waterless soap.
(d) Bathing water.
13. What is Nhamo's mother's name?
14. To what does Nhamo compare the trading post?
(a) A money tribe.
(b) A carnival.
(c) A circus.
(d) A market.
15. Where does Kufa take the family after the cholera epidemic?
(a) The burial grounds.
(b) The great falls.
(c) The trading post.
(d) The cleanser.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the boy in Nhamo's story making a rope?
2. What does Nhamo's family do when they return to their village?
3. What does Nhamo want to do on the tiny island off of the big island?
4. How long does Nhamo fight the current before she sees land?
5. What does Nhamo make out of the bark of the tree?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)