|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Nhamo sitting in a fig tree at the beginning of the book?
(a) She is getting out of the heat.
(b) She is gathering figs for dinner.
(c) She is trying to avoid doing chores.
(d) She is hiding from some boys.
2. What chore is Masvita doing while Nhamo prepares dinner?
(a) Gathering water.
(b) Brushing her sister's hair.
(c) Separating corn kernels.
(d) Making pots.
3. To what kind of tree does Nhamo tie her boat when she gets to the big island?
(a) Coconut tree.
(b) Fig tree.
(c) Water tree.
(d) Oak tree.
4. What is a nganga?
(a) A leader.
(b) A priest.
(c) A sorcerer.
(d) A healer.
5. In a dream, what does Crocodile Guts remind Nhamo to do?
(a) Thank the ancestors.
(b) Listen to the njuzu.
(c) Pack food for her journey.
(d) Have faith in her abilities.
6. What does Nhamo have to fight off when she first gets to the big island?
(a) A jaguar.
(b) A baboon.
(c) A crocodile.
(d) A lemur.
7. What does Nhamo see in the night that gives her hope?
(a) A star.
(b) A light.
(c) A herd of cranes.
(d) A curve in the river.
8. What was wrong with Masvita after the cholera epidemic?
(a) She lost some of her hair.
(b) She had strange scars on her back.
(c) She was weak and listless.
(d) Her monthly bleeding stopped.
9. Who calls Nhamo's mother a witch?
10. How does Nhamo harden her wood spears?
(a) She burns them.
(b) She wets them.
(c) She whittles them.
(d) She lines them with rocks.
11. What does Nhamo take her grandmother to see when they reach their destination?
(a) A wrestling match.
(b) A snake charmer.
(c) A television.
(d) A guitar player.
12. How old was Nhamo when her mother died?
13. Where does Masvita go after the meeting with the muvuki?
(a) Vatete's village.
(b) The inn.
(c) Her home village.
(d) The trader's house.
14. What does Nhamo yell at the big island for?
(a) Being too big.
(b) Not being Zimbabwe.
(c) Being too beautiful.
(d) Keeping her from continuing her journey.
15. What is a zango?
(a) A family crest.
(b) A charm against witches.
(c) A sign of the epidemic.
(d) A valuable jewel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nhamo get the clay she uses to repair her boat?
2. Why is Nhamo so afraid when she dreams about Crocodile Guts?
3. What does Nhamo do to get Ruva to eat?
4. What does Chipo not like about the boat?
5. What does Grandmother pay to resolve the issue of the murdered man?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)