|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ruins Nhamo's traps?
(a) A baboon.
(b) A snake.
(c) A large bird.
(d) A wild cat.
2. To what does Nhamo compare the trading post?
(a) A circus.
(b) A market.
(c) A carnival.
(d) A money tribe.
3. What shows that Masvita is entering womanhood?
(a) Her long hair.
(b) Her monthly bleeding.
(c) Her sprouting bosoms.
(d) Her prominent brow.
4. What does the family not do while eating dinner?
(c) Look at each other.
(d) Chew their food.
5. What does Nhamo hunt on her first try?
6. What does Chipo do in the days before Nhamo's wedding?
(a) Beats Nhamo.
(b) Scolds Nhamo.
(c) Hugs and holds Nhamo.
(d) Ignores Nhamo.
7. Why is Nhamo so afraid when she dreams about Crocodile Guts?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He was always mean to her.
(c) She took his boat.
(d) She lied to him.
8. Why is the boy in Nhamo's story making a rope?
(a) To tie up his future wife.
(b) To climb to the sky.
(c) To pull his grandmother's farm closer.
(d) To wrap the world.
9. What does Nhamo see in the night that gives her hope?
(a) A curve in the river.
(b) A light.
(c) A herd of cranes.
(d) A star.
10. What does Nhamo get to protect her from Long Teats?
(a) Face paint.
(b) A phial of spring water.
(c) Long branches.
(d) A large fire.
11. What does Nhamo want to do on the tiny island off of the big island?
(a) Make a fire pit.
(b) Smoke meat.
(c) Plant her garden.
(d) Build a house.
12. What is the name of Nhamo's favorite baboon baby?
13. Why is Nhamo sitting in a fig tree at the beginning of the book?
(a) She is gathering figs for dinner.
(b) She is trying to avoid doing chores.
(c) She is hiding from some boys.
(d) She is getting out of the heat.
14. What is Nhamo's mother's name?
15. What does Nhamo use to wash the dishes?
(a) Waterless soap.
(b) Bathing water.
(c) Ash and sand.
(d) River water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chipo not like about the boat?
2. What does Nhamo yell at the big island for?
3. What is Nhamo's most prized possession?
4. What does a baby baboon do that makes Nhamo feel comforted?
5. What starts while Nhamo is fighting against the current?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)