|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a dream, what does Crocodile Guts remind Nhamo to do?
(a) Pack food for her journey.
(b) Have faith in her abilities.
(c) Thank the ancestors.
(d) Listen to the njuzu.
2. Why does Ruva stop eating?
(a) She is sick.
(b) She wants to die to be with her mother.
(c) She wants the sick people to have her share.
(d) She is worried about her family.
3. What does Chipo do in the days before Nhamo's wedding?
(a) Hugs and holds Nhamo.
(b) Ignores Nhamo.
(c) Beats Nhamo.
(d) Scolds Nhamo.
4. What does Nhamo want to do on the tiny island off of the big island?
(a) Make a fire pit.
(b) Plant her garden.
(c) Build a house.
(d) Smoke meat.
5. Why is Nhamo so afraid when she dreams about Crocodile Guts?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He was always mean to her.
(c) She took his boat.
(d) She lied to him.
6. What is the name of the trader's wife?
7. What does Nhamo yell at the big island for?
(a) Being too big.
(b) Being too beautiful.
(c) Keeping her from continuing her journey.
(d) Not being Zimbabwe.
8. What comforts Nhamo after she is stung?
(a) A cool rain.
(b) The voice of her mother.
(c) The gentle wind.
(d) The baboons.
9. How does Nhamo decide to get herself off the island?
(a) Build a new boat.
(b) Wait for more humans.
(c) Swim with the current.
(d) Repair the damaged boat.
10. What is the name of the man who owns the boat that Nhamo uses to escape?
(a) Crocodile Guts.
(b) Newt Toes.
(c) Salamander Tail.
(d) Frog Head.
11. What does Nhamo get to protect her from Long Teats?
(a) Long branches.
(b) Face paint.
(c) A phial of spring water.
(d) A large fire.
12. How does Nhamo harden her wood spears?
(a) She wets them.
(b) She lines them with rocks.
(c) She burns them.
(d) She whittles them.
13. To what does Nhamo compare the baboons as she watches them by the river?
14. Where does Kufa take the family after the cholera epidemic?
(a) The trading post.
(b) The cleanser.
(c) The burial grounds.
(d) The great falls.
15. What does the muvuki use to diagnose the problem?
(a) Hukutu oil.
(b) Hakata sticks.
(c) Hikiti water.
(d) Hokoto leaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the trader's wife think of the muvuki?
2. What is Princess Senwa's husband's name?
3. Who notices that Nhamo is jealous of Masvita's womanhood?
4. What kind of insect does Nhamo roast to eat?
5. Where does Nhamo land after drifting unanchored all night?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)