|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what kind of tree does Nhamo tie her boat when she gets to the big island?
(a) Water tree.
(b) Coconut tree.
(c) Oak tree.
(d) Fig tree.
2. Where does Nhamo's father's family live?
3. Who did Useless marry?
(a) A muzuki.
(b) A nganga.
(c) A princess.
(d) A njuzu.
4. What did Princess Senwa do when her husband betrayed her?
(a) Cursed him.
(b) Jumped off a cliff.
(c) Killed their baby.
(d) Sang a sad song the rest of her days.
5. What does Nhamo want to do on the tiny island off of the big island?
(a) Make a fire pit.
(b) Smoke meat.
(c) Build a house.
(d) Plant her garden.
6. What does Chipo do in the days before Nhamo's wedding?
(a) Scolds Nhamo.
(b) Beats Nhamo.
(c) Hugs and holds Nhamo.
(d) Ignores Nhamo.
7. What is the name of Masvita's aunt in the other village?
8. What was wrong with Masvita after the cholera epidemic?
(a) She lost some of her hair.
(b) She was weak and listless.
(c) She had strange scars on her back.
(d) Her monthly bleeding stopped.
9. What does Nhamo make out of the bark of the tree?
(a) An insect repellant.
(c) A belt.
10. How does Nhamo decide to get herself off the island?
(a) Wait for more humans.
(b) Build a new boat.
(c) Repair the damaged boat.
(d) Swim with the current.
11. Why does Ruva stop eating?
(a) She wants the sick people to have her share.
(b) She is sick.
(c) She is worried about her family.
(d) She wants to die to be with her mother.
12. Where does Kufa take the family after the cholera epidemic?
(a) The trading post.
(b) The cleanser.
(c) The burial grounds.
(d) The great falls.
13. What kind of insect does Nhamo roast to eat?
14. What kind of tree does Nhamo decide to camp by on the island?
(a) Bread fruit.
(d) Lucky bean.
15. What does Chipo not like about the boat?
(a) The movement.
(b) The slowness.
(c) The sounds.
(d) The rocking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are njuzu?
2. What chore is Masvita doing while Nhamo prepares dinner?
3. What does Nhamo name the deformed baboon?
4. What does the family not do while eating dinner?
5. Who notices that Nhamo is jealous of Masvita's womanhood?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)