|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Grandmother say Chipo felt when Nhamo was born?
2. What is the hozi?
(a) A communal storage facility.
(b) The church.
(c) The house of Nhamo's grandmother.
(d) The river fountain.
3. How does Nhamo decide to get herself off the island?
(a) Repair the damaged boat.
(b) Swim with the current.
(c) Build a new boat.
(d) Wait for more humans.
4. Who did Useless marry?
(a) A muzuki.
(b) A njuzu.
(c) A princess.
(d) A nganga.
5. What does Nhamo teach herself during her boat journey?
(a) To bathe.
(b) To steer.
(c) To fish.
(d) To swim.
6. What does Nhamo make out of the bark of the tree?
(a) An insect repellant.
(b) A belt.
7. What does the muvuki use to diagnose the problem?
(a) Hukutu oil.
(b) Hikiti water.
(c) Hakata sticks.
(d) Hokoto leaves.
8. What does Chipo do in the days before Nhamo's wedding?
(a) Hugs and holds Nhamo.
(b) Scolds Nhamo.
(c) Ignores Nhamo.
(d) Beats Nhamo.
9. What does Nhamo use to wash the dishes?
(a) Bathing water.
(b) Ash and sand.
(c) Waterless soap.
(d) River water.
10. What does Nhamo do in an effort to get more food?
(a) Follows the baboons.
(b) Plants a larger garden.
(c) Dries her fruit.
(d) Follows animal tracks.
11. What does Nhamo's family do when they return to their village?
(a) Serve Masvita to help heal her.
(b) Work her to the bone.
(c) Communicate with Nhamo's future husband.
(d) Prepare for her wedding.
12. What does Chipo say the spirit demands in payment?
(a) More money.
(c) Another cow.
13. What is a nganga?
(a) A leader.
(b) A sorcerer.
(c) A healer.
(d) A priest.
14. What does Nhamo yell at the big island for?
(a) Being too beautiful.
(b) Being too big.
(c) Keeping her from continuing her journey.
(d) Not being Zimbabwe.
15. Why is Nhamo so afraid when she dreams about Crocodile Guts?
(a) She took his boat.
(b) She lied to him.
(c) He was always mean to her.
(d) He is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nhamo feel when she is in the boat on her first day?
2. Who helps a girl when she reaches womanhood?
3. What did Princess Senwa do when her husband betrayed her?
4. What do the baboons refuse to do for the deformed baboon?
5. To what does Nhamo compare the baboons as she watches them by the river?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)