|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nhamo do with the fish she catches?
(a) Smokes them.
(b) Uses them in animal traps.
(c) Eats them.
(d) Dries them.
2. What does Chipo not like about the boat?
(a) The sounds.
(b) The movement.
(c) The rocking.
(d) The slowness.
3. What does Nhamo see as a sign that she can keep the item she found in the hut on the island?
(a) A gardenia branch.
(b) A mouse.
(c) An animal paw print.
(d) An adder.
4. What does Nhamo yell at the big island for?
(a) Not being Zimbabwe.
(b) Keeping her from continuing her journey.
(c) Being too beautiful.
(d) Being too big.
5. What shows that Masvita is entering womanhood?
(a) Her sprouting bosoms.
(b) Her long hair.
(c) Her prominent brow.
(d) Her monthly bleeding.
6. How does Nhamo travel against the current?
(a) She zigzags.
(b) She paddles hard when the current is weak.
(c) She lets the wind blow her.
(d) She turns the boat in wide circles.
7. What does the family not do while eating dinner?
(b) Chew their food.
(d) Look at each other.
8. What does a baby baboon do that makes Nhamo feel comforted?
(a) Protects her.
(b) Grooms her.
(c) Plays with her.
(d) Brings her food.
9. What does Nhamo try to imitate while learning to swim?
(b) Men from the village.
10. What does Nhamo do to get Ruva to eat?
(a) Makes her favorite food.
(b) Tells her the family is well.
(c) Reminds her of her mother's dying wish.
(d) Tells a story.
11. What does Nhamo have to fight off when she first gets to the big island?
(a) A baboon.
(b) A lemur.
(c) A crocodile.
(d) A jaguar.
12. How long does Nhamo fight the current before she sees land?
(a) A day and a night.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A week.
(d) Several days.
13. What does Nhamo's family do when they return to their village?
(a) Work her to the bone.
(b) Serve Masvita to help heal her.
(c) Prepare for her wedding.
(d) Communicate with Nhamo's future husband.
14. What kind of animal causes Nhamo to take a break from her boating?
15. What was wrong with Masvita after the cholera epidemic?
(a) Her monthly bleeding stopped.
(b) She lost some of her hair.
(c) She was weak and listless.
(d) She had strange scars on her back.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the boy in Nhamo's story making a rope?
2. What is the name of Masvita's aunt in the other village?
3. What comforts Nhamo after she is stung?
4. To what kind of tree does Nhamo tie her boat when she gets to the big island?
5. What is Princess Senwa's husband's name?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)