|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the family not do while eating dinner?
(a) Chew their food.
(d) Look at each other.
2. Why is Nhamo sitting in a fig tree at the beginning of the book?
(a) She is gathering figs for dinner.
(b) She is hiding from some boys.
(c) She is getting out of the heat.
(d) She is trying to avoid doing chores.
3. What does Nhamo yell at the big island for?
(a) Being too beautiful.
(b) Keeping her from continuing her journey.
(c) Not being Zimbabwe.
(d) Being too big.
4. What does Nhamo do to get Ruva to eat?
(a) Tells a story.
(b) Makes her favorite food.
(c) Reminds her of her mother's dying wish.
(d) Tells her the family is well.
5. What does Nhamo have to fight off when she first gets to the big island?
(a) A baboon.
(b) A lemur.
(c) A crocodile.
(d) A jaguar.
6. What does Chipo not like about the boat?
(a) The movement.
(b) The sounds.
(c) The slowness.
(d) The rocking.
7. What useful item does Nhamo find in the hut on the island?
(a) A rudding stick.
(b) A shovel.
(c) Some rope.
(d) A knife.
8. What comforts Nhamo after she is stung?
(a) The baboons.
(b) The voice of her mother.
(c) The gentle wind.
(d) A cool rain.
9. To what does Nhamo compare the trading post?
(a) A carnival.
(b) A market.
(c) A money tribe.
(d) A circus.
10. What does Grandmother pay to resolve the issue of the murdered man?
(a) Two cows.
(b) Two sacks of mealies.
(c) Two pounds of sugar cane.
(d) Two months of wheat harvest.
11. In a dream, what does Crocodile Guts remind Nhamo to do?
(a) Thank the ancestors.
(b) Listen to the njuzu.
(c) Pack food for her journey.
(d) Have faith in her abilities.
12. How did Grandmother say Chipo felt when Nhamo was born?
13. Why is Nhamo so afraid when she dreams about Crocodile Guts?
(a) She took his boat.
(b) He was always mean to her.
(c) She lied to him.
(d) He is dead.
14. What does Nhamo use to hollow out her boat?
(b) A spear.
(c) Hot coals.
(d) Acidic venom.
15. Who did Useless marry?
(a) A muzuki.
(b) A princess.
(c) A nganga.
(d) A njuzu.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nhamo sleep while on the big island?
2. What does Nhamo see as a sign that she can keep the item she found in the hut on the island?
3. What does Nhamo take her grandmother to see when they reach their destination?
4. What does Chipo do in the days before Nhamo's wedding?
5. What is the name of Nhamo's favorite baboon baby?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)