|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Princess Senwa's husband's name?
2. What useful item does Nhamo find in the hut on the island?
(a) Some rope.
(b) A knife.
(c) A shovel.
(d) A rudding stick.
3. What comforts Nhamo after she is stung?
(a) A cool rain.
(b) The baboons.
(c) The voice of her mother.
(d) The gentle wind.
4. What does Nhamo use to wash the dishes?
(a) Ash and sand.
(b) Waterless soap.
(c) River water.
(d) Bathing water.
5. How did Grandmother say Chipo felt when Nhamo was born?
6. Why is the boy in Nhamo's story making a rope?
(a) To pull his grandmother's farm closer.
(b) To wrap the world.
(c) To climb to the sky.
(d) To tie up his future wife.
7. How does Nhamo decide to get herself off the island?
(a) Build a new boat.
(b) Wait for more humans.
(c) Swim with the current.
(d) Repair the damaged boat.
8. How does Nhamo feel when she is in the boat on her first day?
9. What does Nhamo use to hollow out her boat?
(b) A spear.
(c) Hot coals.
(d) Acidic venom.
10. Who notices that Nhamo is jealous of Masvita's womanhood?
11. What does the family not do while eating dinner?
(b) Look at each other.
(c) Chew their food.
12. Where does Nhamo sleep while on the big island?
(a) A hollowed out tree.
(b) On the lake shore.
(c) The boat.
(d) In a cave.
13. Where does Nhamo get the clay she uses to repair her boat?
(a) A beaver dam.
(b) A termite hill.
(c) The river banks.
(d) A baboon nest.
14. What does Chipo say the spirit demands in payment?
(b) More money.
(c) Another cow.
15. What was wrong with Masvita after the cholera epidemic?
(a) She lost some of her hair.
(b) Her monthly bleeding stopped.
(c) She had strange scars on her back.
(d) She was weak and listless.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Nhamo when her mother died?
2. To what kind of tree does Nhamo tie her boat when she gets to the big island?
3. What did Princess Senwa do when her husband betrayed her?
4. What does Nhamo see as a sign that she can keep the item she found in the hut on the island?
5. Why does Ruva stop eating?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)