|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nhamo try to imitate while learning to swim?
(c) Men from the village.
2. How does Nhamo harden her wood spears?
(a) She lines them with rocks.
(b) She whittles them.
(c) She burns them.
(d) She wets them.
3. What does Nhamo hear as she is leaving the small island?
(a) The njuzu singing.
(b) The wind.
(c) Her mother and Crocodile Guts.
(d) A roar of an animal.
4. Who notices that Nhamo is jealous of Masvita's womanhood?
5. Why does Nhamo procrastinate checking her animal traps?
(a) It is getting dark.
(b) She does not need food.
(c) She has other things to do.
(d) She is dizzy.
6. What kind of tree does Nhamo decide to camp by on the island?
(c) Lucky bean.
(d) Bread fruit.
7. Where does Kufa take the family after the cholera epidemic?
(a) The burial grounds.
(b) The great falls.
(c) The cleanser.
(d) The trading post.
8. To what does Nhamo compare the trading post?
(a) A money tribe.
(b) A circus.
(c) A carnival.
(d) A market.
9. What does the trader's wife think of the muvuki?
(a) He is greedy.
(b) He is a fraud.
(c) He is a wise man.
(d) He is crazy.
10. What useful item does Nhamo find in the hut on the island?
(a) A shovel.
(b) A rudding stick.
(c) A knife.
(d) Some rope.
11. What does Nhamo's family do when they return to their village?
(a) Prepare for her wedding.
(b) Serve Masvita to help heal her.
(c) Work her to the bone.
(d) Communicate with Nhamo's future husband.
12. Where does Nhamo sleep while on the big island?
(a) The boat.
(b) A hollowed out tree.
(c) In a cave.
(d) On the lake shore.
13. What does Chipo say the spirit demands in payment?
(a) Another cow.
(b) More money.
14. What does Nhamo teach herself during her boat journey?
(a) To steer.
(b) To fish.
(c) To bathe.
(d) To swim.
15. Where does Nhamo get the clay she uses to repair her boat?
(a) A termite hill.
(b) A beaver dam.
(c) A baboon nest.
(d) The river banks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the muvuki use to diagnose the problem?
2. Who did Useless marry?
3. What does the sting that Nhamo gets while working on her boat cause her to do?
4. What does Nhamo take her grandmother to see when they reach their destination?
5. What does Nhamo use to hollow out her boat?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)