|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Princess Senwa do when her husband betrayed her?
(a) Sang a sad song the rest of her days.
(b) Jumped off a cliff.
(c) Killed their baby.
(d) Cursed him.
2. What are njuzu?
(a) River scavengers.
(b) Strange waves.
(c) Water spirits.
(d) Nutritional water plants.
3. What was wrong with Masvita after the cholera epidemic?
(a) She was weak and listless.
(b) She had strange scars on her back.
(c) She lost some of her hair.
(d) Her monthly bleeding stopped.
4. Who helps a girl when she reaches womanhood?
(a) The eldest sister.
(b) The mother.
(c) An aunt.
(d) A grandmother.
5. Where does Masvita go after the meeting with the muvuki?
(a) The inn.
(b) Vatete's village.
(c) Her home village.
(d) The trader's house.
6. What is the name of Masvita's aunt in the other village?
7. What is a zango?
(a) A sign of the epidemic.
(b) A valuable jewel.
(c) A family crest.
(d) A charm against witches.
8. To what does Nhamo compare the baboons as she watches them by the river?
9. Who tells Nhamo to start working on her boat?
(a) Her mother.
(b) The baboons.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Crocodile Guts.
10. What does Nhamo do in an effort to get more food?
(a) Dries her fruit.
(b) Follows animal tracks.
(c) Plants a larger garden.
(d) Follows the baboons.
11. What does Nhamo do with the fish she catches?
(a) Smokes them.
(b) Uses them in animal traps.
(c) Dries them.
(d) Eats them.
12. How long does Nhamo fight the current before she sees land?
(a) Several days.
(b) A day and a night.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) A week.
13. Where does Nhamo land after drifting unanchored all night?
(a) A sand bar.
(b) The beach.
(c) A strange lake.
(d) An island.
14. What does Nhamo get to protect her from Long Teats?
(a) A phial of spring water.
(b) A large fire.
(c) Long branches.
(d) Face paint.
15. Whom does Nhamo dream about going over a cliff?
(b) Crocodile Guts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chipo do in the days before Nhamo's wedding?
2. What does Chipo not like about the boat?
3. What is Nhamo's most prized possession?
4. What is Nhamo's mother's name?
5. What does Grandmother pay to resolve the issue of the murdered man?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)