|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the hozi?
(a) The house of Nhamo's grandmother.
(b) The river fountain.
(c) The church.
(d) A communal storage facility.
2. Why is Nhamo so afraid when she dreams about Crocodile Guts?
(a) She took his boat.
(b) He was always mean to her.
(c) She lied to him.
(d) He is dead.
3. How did Grandmother say Chipo felt when Nhamo was born?
4. What does the trader's wife think of the muvuki?
(a) He is a fraud.
(b) He is greedy.
(c) He is a wise man.
(d) He is crazy.
5. What does Nhamo do with the fish she catches?
(a) Smokes them.
(b) Uses them in animal traps.
(c) Eats them.
(d) Dries them.
6. Why does Nhamo procrastinate checking her animal traps?
(a) She has other things to do.
(b) She is dizzy.
(c) She does not need food.
(d) It is getting dark.
7. Whom does Nhamo dream about going over a cliff?
(c) Crocodile Guts.
8. What does Nhamo teach herself during her boat journey?
(a) To swim.
(b) To steer.
(c) To bathe.
(d) To fish.
9. What does Nhamo name the deformed baboon?
(a) Fat Cheeks.
(c) Big Belly.
10. What does a baby baboon do that makes Nhamo feel comforted?
(a) Protects her.
(b) Brings her food.
(c) Plays with her.
(d) Grooms her.
11. What does Chipo not like about the boat?
(a) The rocking.
(b) The slowness.
(c) The movement.
(d) The sounds.
12. What does Nhamo use to hollow out her boat?
(a) A spear.
(b) Acidic venom.
(d) Hot coals.
13. What kind of insect does Nhamo roast to eat?
14. What is a nganga?
(a) A sorcerer.
(b) A priest.
(c) A leader.
(d) A healer.
15. To what does Nhamo compare the baboons as she watches them by the river?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who owns the boat that Nhamo uses to escape?
2. What does the family not do while eating dinner?
3. Where does Kufa take the family after the cholera epidemic?
4. Where does Nhamo get the clay she uses to repair her boat?
5. What does Nhamo see as a sign that she can keep the item she found in the hut on the island?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)