|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nhamo travel against the current?
(a) She lets the wind blow her.
(b) She zigzags.
(c) She turns the boat in wide circles.
(d) She paddles hard when the current is weak.
2. Why is Nhamo so afraid when she dreams about Crocodile Guts?
(a) He is dead.
(b) She took his boat.
(c) He was always mean to her.
(d) She lied to him.
3. What does Nhamo get to protect her from Long Teats?
(a) A large fire.
(b) Face paint.
(c) A phial of spring water.
(d) Long branches.
4. What does Nhamo do with the fish she catches?
(a) Dries them.
(b) Uses them in animal traps.
(c) Smokes them.
(d) Eats them.
5. What does Chipo do in the days before Nhamo's wedding?
(a) Beats Nhamo.
(b) Ignores Nhamo.
(c) Scolds Nhamo.
(d) Hugs and holds Nhamo.
6. What was wrong with Masvita after the cholera epidemic?
(a) She was weak and listless.
(b) She lost some of her hair.
(c) Her monthly bleeding stopped.
(d) She had strange scars on her back.
7. What does the muvuki use to diagnose the problem?
(a) Hokoto leaves.
(b) Hakata sticks.
(c) Hikiti water.
(d) Hukutu oil.
8. To what kind of tree does Nhamo tie her boat when she gets to the big island?
(a) Coconut tree.
(b) Water tree.
(c) Oak tree.
(d) Fig tree.
9. What does Nhamo name the deformed baboon?
(b) Fat Cheeks.
(d) Big Belly.
10. Where does Nhamo get the clay she uses to repair her boat?
(a) A termite hill.
(b) A baboon nest.
(c) A beaver dam.
(d) The river banks.
11. What is Princess Senwa's husband's name?
12. What does Nhamo teach herself during her boat journey?
(a) To steer.
(b) To fish.
(c) To swim.
(d) To bathe.
13. What does Nhamo try to imitate while learning to swim?
(b) Men from the village.
14. What does Nhamo hear as she is leaving the small island?
(a) The njuzu singing.
(b) The wind.
(c) A roar of an animal.
(d) Her mother and Crocodile Guts.
15. Why does Nhamo procrastinate checking her animal traps?
(a) She is dizzy.
(b) She does not need food.
(c) She has other things to do.
(d) It is getting dark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Nhamo's favorite baboon baby?
2. What does Nhamo have to fight off when she first gets to the big island?
3. What does Nhamo do in an effort to get more food?
4. What does a baby baboon do that makes Nhamo feel comforted?
5. How does Nhamo harden her wood spears?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)