|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the family not do while eating dinner?
(a) Chew their food.
(c) Look at each other.
2. What does Nhamo yell at the big island for?
(a) Keeping her from continuing her journey.
(b) Being too beautiful.
(c) Being too big.
(d) Not being Zimbabwe.
3. In a dream, what does Crocodile Guts remind Nhamo to do?
(a) Thank the ancestors.
(b) Have faith in her abilities.
(c) Pack food for her journey.
(d) Listen to the njuzu.
4. Why is Nhamo sitting in a fig tree at the beginning of the book?
(a) She is trying to avoid doing chores.
(b) She is gathering figs for dinner.
(c) She is hiding from some boys.
(d) She is getting out of the heat.
5. What does Masvita's aunt die from?
6. To what does Nhamo compare the trading post?
(a) A money tribe.
(b) A market.
(c) A circus.
(d) A carnival.
7. What is the name of Nhamo's favorite baboon baby?
8. What does Nhamo hunt on her first try?
9. What kind of animal causes Nhamo to take a break from her boating?
10. What is Princess Senwa's husband's name?
11. What shows that Masvita is entering womanhood?
(a) Her prominent brow.
(b) Her monthly bleeding.
(c) Her sprouting bosoms.
(d) Her long hair.
12. Who tells Nhamo to find more people in her life?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Crocodile Guts.
(c) The Njuzu.
(d) Her grandmother's spirit.
13. What is a nganga?
(a) A healer.
(b) A sorcerer.
(c) A priest.
(d) A leader.
14. What does Nhamo see as a sign that she can keep the item she found in the hut on the island?
(a) An adder.
(b) A gardenia branch.
(c) A mouse.
(d) An animal paw print.
15. Who notices that Nhamo is jealous of Masvita's womanhood?
Short Answer Questions
1. What useful item does Nhamo find in the hut on the island?
2. What killed Nhamo's mother?
3. What does a baby baboon do that makes Nhamo feel comforted?
4. What does Nhamo use to hollow out her boat?
5. Where does Nhamo get the clay she uses to repair her boat?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)