|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Nhamo's favorite baboon baby?
2. Why is Nhamo sitting in a fig tree at the beginning of the book?
(a) She is getting out of the heat.
(b) She is gathering figs for dinner.
(c) She is hiding from some boys.
(d) She is trying to avoid doing chores.
3. Why does Nhamo procrastinate checking her animal traps?
(a) She is dizzy.
(b) It is getting dark.
(c) She has other things to do.
(d) She does not need food.
4. Who helps a girl when she reaches womanhood?
(a) The eldest sister.
(b) A grandmother.
(c) An aunt.
(d) The mother.
5. What is the hozi?
(a) The river fountain.
(b) A communal storage facility.
(c) The house of Nhamo's grandmother.
(d) The church.
6. What are njuzu?
(a) Nutritional water plants.
(b) Strange waves.
(c) Water spirits.
(d) River scavengers.
7. What is the name of the man who owns the boat that Nhamo uses to escape?
(a) Frog Head.
(b) Newt Toes.
(c) Crocodile Guts.
(d) Salamander Tail.
8. Who tells Nhamo to find more people in her life?
(a) Her grandmother's spirit.
(b) The Njuzu.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Crocodile Guts.
9. What does Nhamo teach herself during her boat journey?
(a) To bathe.
(b) To steer.
(c) To fish.
(d) To swim.
10. In a dream, what does Crocodile Guts remind Nhamo to do?
(a) Listen to the njuzu.
(b) Have faith in her abilities.
(c) Pack food for her journey.
(d) Thank the ancestors.
11. What does Nhamo take her grandmother to see when they reach their destination?
(a) A television.
(b) A guitar player.
(c) A snake charmer.
(d) A wrestling match.
12. What does Nhamo's family do when they return to their village?
(a) Prepare for her wedding.
(b) Work her to the bone.
(c) Communicate with Nhamo's future husband.
(d) Serve Masvita to help heal her.
13. What comforts Nhamo after she is stung?
(a) The gentle wind.
(b) The baboons.
(c) The voice of her mother.
(d) A cool rain.
14. What chore is Masvita doing while Nhamo prepares dinner?
(a) Gathering water.
(b) Brushing her sister's hair.
(c) Separating corn kernels.
(d) Making pots.
15. What is wrong with the lone baboon on the island?
(a) It has a twisted foot.
(b) It is missing an eye.
(c) It has a gash on its back.
(d) It has a deformed arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the family not do while eating dinner?
2. What kind of animal causes Nhamo to take a break from her boating?
3. What is the name of the trader's wife?
4. Where does Masvita go after the meeting with the muvuki?
5. What is Princess Senwa's husband's name?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)