|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nhamo take her grandmother to see when they reach their destination?
(a) A television.
(b) A wrestling match.
(c) A guitar player.
(d) A snake charmer.
2. Whom does Nhamo dream about going over a cliff?
(d) Crocodile Guts.
3. How does Nhamo travel against the current?
(a) She lets the wind blow her.
(b) She turns the boat in wide circles.
(c) She zigzags.
(d) She paddles hard when the current is weak.
4. Where does Nhamo's father's family live?
5. Where does Nhamo sleep while on the big island?
(a) The boat.
(b) On the lake shore.
(c) In a cave.
(d) A hollowed out tree.
6. How long does Nhamo fight the current before she sees land?
(a) Several days.
(b) A week.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) A day and a night.
7. Why does Nhamo procrastinate checking her animal traps?
(a) She is dizzy.
(b) She does not need food.
(c) She has other things to do.
(d) It is getting dark.
8. What does Nhamo have to fight off when she first gets to the big island?
(a) A lemur.
(b) A jaguar.
(c) A crocodile.
(d) A baboon.
9. What is the hozi?
(a) The river fountain.
(b) A communal storage facility.
(c) The house of Nhamo's grandmother.
(d) The church.
10. Who tells Nhamo to find more people in her life?
(a) The Njuzu.
(b) Her grandmother's spirit.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Crocodile Guts.
11. What is the name of the trader's wife?
12. Which of the following is NOT one of the food items Nhamo finds on the big island?
13. What does Grandmother pay to resolve the issue of the murdered man?
(a) Two months of wheat harvest.
(b) Two pounds of sugar cane.
(c) Two cows.
(d) Two sacks of mealies.
14. What does Nhamo use to wash the dishes?
(a) Waterless soap.
(b) River water.
(c) Ash and sand.
(d) Bathing water.
15. What does Chipo do in the days before Nhamo's wedding?
(a) Beats Nhamo.
(b) Hugs and holds Nhamo.
(c) Scolds Nhamo.
(d) Ignores Nhamo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nhamo name the deformed baboon?
2. How does Nhamo harden her wood spears?
3. What is the name of the man who owns the boat that Nhamo uses to escape?
4. What does Grandmother say she wants to help Nhamo do?
5. To what does Nhamo compare the baboons as she watches them by the river?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)