|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the baboons refuse to do for the deformed baboon?
(a) Sleep near him.
(b) Protect him.
(c) Groom him.
(d) Hunt for him.
2. Why does Nhamo procrastinate checking her animal traps?
(a) It is getting dark.
(b) She has other things to do.
(c) She does not need food.
(d) She is dizzy.
3. What is the hozi?
(a) The river fountain.
(b) The house of Nhamo's grandmother.
(c) The church.
(d) A communal storage facility.
4. What does Nhamo try to imitate while learning to swim?
(d) Men from the village.
5. What does Masvita's aunt die from?
6. Why is Nhamo sitting in a fig tree at the beginning of the book?
(a) She is getting out of the heat.
(b) She is gathering figs for dinner.
(c) She is hiding from some boys.
(d) She is trying to avoid doing chores.
7. Why is Nhamo so afraid when she dreams about Crocodile Guts?
(a) She lied to him.
(b) She took his boat.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He was always mean to her.
8. What useful item does Nhamo find in the hut on the island?
(a) A shovel.
(b) A rudding stick.
(c) Some rope.
(d) A knife.
9. What does Chipo do in the days before Nhamo's wedding?
(a) Hugs and holds Nhamo.
(b) Beats Nhamo.
(c) Ignores Nhamo.
(d) Scolds Nhamo.
10. What does Nhamo's family do when they return to their village?
(a) Prepare for her wedding.
(b) Work her to the bone.
(c) Serve Masvita to help heal her.
(d) Communicate with Nhamo's future husband.
11. What kind of animal causes Nhamo to take a break from her boating?
12. What is Nhamo's mother's name?
13. What does Nhamo get to protect her from Long Teats?
(a) A phial of spring water.
(b) Face paint.
(c) Long branches.
(d) A large fire.
14. What chore is Masvita doing while Nhamo prepares dinner?
(a) Making pots.
(b) Gathering water.
(c) Brushing her sister's hair.
(d) Separating corn kernels.
15. How does Nhamo harden her wood spears?
(a) She burns them.
(b) She wets them.
(c) She whittles them.
(d) She lines them with rocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Masvita go after the meeting with the muvuki?
2. What does Nhamo take her grandmother to see when they reach their destination?
3. What shows that Masvita is entering womanhood?
4. What does the trader's wife think of the muvuki?
5. Why does Ruva stop eating?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)