1. Why is Nhamo sitting in a fig tree at the beginning of the book?
(a) She is trying to avoid doing chores.
(b) She is hiding from some boys.
(c) She is getting out of the heat.
(d) She is gathering figs for dinner.
2. What is the hozi?
(a) A communal storage facility.
(b) The house of Nhamo's grandmother.
(c) The river fountain.
(d) The church.
3. What chore is Masvita doing while Nhamo prepares dinner?
(a) Making pots.
(b) Brushing her sister's hair.
(c) Gathering water.
(d) Separating corn kernels.
4. What killed Nhamo's mother?
(a) A jealous man.
(b) A strange sickness.
(c) A lion.
(d) A leopard.
5. What is Nhamo's most prized possession?
(a) A magazine cover.
(b) A chocolate wrapper.
(c) A tin box.
(d) A tea cup.
6. How old was Nhamo when her mother died?
7. What does the family not do while eating dinner?
(a) Look at each other.
(c) Chew their food.
8. What does Nhamo use to wash the dishes?
(a) Waterless soap.
(b) Bathing water.
(c) Ash and sand.
(d) River water.
This section contains 3,735 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)