|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened every time Christina has tried to reach Harry?
2. Why is Lily spooked by the clerk's many trips to the bathroom and the sound of trickling?
3. What does Oscar secretly have?
4. Why is Deedee out $80,000?
5. How does Oscar feel about Father having no time to read his play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Oscar's plans for his play?
2. What does Christina do about Oscar's legal bills? Why does she do this?
3. In what ways is the lower court correct? In what ways is Oscar correct?
4. What does Oscar do when he is served a subpoena? What does Christina think about this?
5. Why does Oscar want Christina to see the television?
6. What are the connections between the play and the movie?
7. What might happen regarding the legal bills brought about from Oscars suit? Why is this?
8. What connection is made between Lily and the law clerk?
9. What does Oscar learn about Basie?
10. What does Jerry think about religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
God has no place in law.
Part 1) Prove this statement to be true, according to the story.
Part 2) How else is religion woven throughout this story?
Part 3) What role does religion have in the decisions made by the characters? What might be the author's purpose for this?
Essay Topic 2
Racism is raised.
Part 1) What is the connection between racism and one of the story's themes?
Part 2) How does racism permeate both the story and Oscar's play? What is the reason for this?
Part 3) Racist comments are made. Why? How does this racism affect you as the reader? Why are you affected this way?
Essay Topic 3
A minor theme is Hiawatha.
Part 1) What or who is Hiawatha? How is this a theme?
Part 2) Why has the author included this as a theme?
Part 3) What is its connection with other themes in the book? Explain.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)