|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lily tell Oscar have been dashed?
2. How much is the settlement offer worth about which Christina tells Harry?
3. How does Christina feel about living with Oscar?
4. When Oscar fetches wine, how does Christina annoy him?
5. The medical reports verify drowning as the proximate cause of death, so what are the jurors supposed to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened because of Spot's death?
2. What does Oscar learn about Basie?
3. What is the only thing the papers have gotten right?
4. What are the connections between the play and the movie?
5. How does Father uses religion in a court case?
6. What does Lily say when she goes to see Oscar?
7. What connection is made between Lily and the law clerk?
8. Why do Christina and Lily find Oscar staring blankly in the library?
9. How are Harry and Oscar's situations with their fathers similar?
10. What might happen regarding the legal bills brought about from Oscars suit? Why is this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar and Christina revert to childhood at the end of the novel.
Part 1) Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this behavior reflect the personalities of these characters?
Part 3) Why does the author end the story this way? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
God has no place in law.
Part 1) Prove this statement to be true, according to the story.
Part 2) How else is religion woven throughout this story?
Part 3) What role does religion have in the decisions made by the characters? What might be the author's purpose for this?
Essay Topic 3
Food is a minor theme.
Part 1) How is this a theme? What is the purpose of this theme?
Part 2) How does this connection with food reflect American society?
Part 3) How does food and one's belief in the purpose of food affect the characters? How does it affect people today?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)