|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Trish suing for support payments?
2. How does Oscar reply when Basie interrupts to ask how Israel fits into his play?
3. Harry hopes once Szyrk is reversed, what will happen?
4. About what does Thomas still dream about first stepping onto Quantness?
5. Kiester counters the complaint, denying what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mother refuses to leave her broken-down farmhouse, what is the reasoning she gives to Thomas?
2. What does Thomas recall about war in this scene?
3. What happens in the next scene of Oscar's play?
4. What is the complaint that is filed by Oscar?
5. How does Kevin know about Oscar's scar, according to Lily?
6. How and why does Basie interrupt the reading of the script?
7. Why is Trish suing to maintain support payments for her son?
8. Why does Oscar demand a subpoena of Kiester's records?
9. Why has Pai been having this discussion with Oscar? What does he want to know?
10. What does Lily do and say when she visits Oscar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A major theme is that the essence of law lies in language.
Part 1) How is this a theme?
Part 2) Do you believe this to be true in real life? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is language use significant throughout this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) How does Harry die? Is his death foreshadowed? Explain.
Part 2) How does his death affect the other characters? Why does it affect them this way?
Part 3) What is the purpose of Harry's death? Why would the author have him die?
Part 4) Compare and contrast aspects of Harry's life and death to that of Judge Crease's.
Essay Topic 3
Oscar and Christina revert to childhood at the end of the novel.
Part 1) Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this behavior reflect the personalities of these characters?
Part 3) Why does the author end the story this way? Explain.
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)