|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 2 of the play,Thomas approaches a limping Soldier wearing a worn Union uniform. Called back to active duty, the Soldier seeks to sell four months' worth of future pay for what?
2. Of what does Harry warn Oscar?
3. Since when has Oscar been feeling terminal?
4. What does Harry advise Oscar regarding history?
5. Why can Oscar not start an action for infringement against the historical society?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oscar explain Israel's purpose in the play?
2. What is explained about the slave, Israel? What are both the Major, Kane, and William's thoughts regarding this discussion?
3. What is the complaint that is filed by Oscar?
4. What takes place in Scene 2 of Oscar's play?
5. What does Lily think of Oscar's play so far?
6. Why can Oscar not go to California, according to Christina? What are Basie and Oscar's plans, regarding this trip?
7. How does the official transcript of Oscar's deposition open?
8. How does Oscar use Shakespeare in his argument? What is Pai's response to this?
9. What does Basie notice when Oscar reads dialogue between Kane and Thomas about justice? How does Oscar respond?
10. What does Thomas recall about war in this scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A recurring theme is black vs. Jew.
Part 1) Why does the author make this a theme?
Part 2) How does this theme affect the relationships of the characters of varying ethnicity?
Part 3) Are you surprised about this theme in a contemporary story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There is a comparison between the dialogue of plays to action in films.
Part 1) Describe dialogue in the play. Describe action in the film.
Part 2) How are dialogue and action compared? Why are they compared?
Part 3) How is this comparison revealed when Oscar sees the movie? What are his thoughts on dialogue in a play and action in a film? Why does he feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
Christina is frenzied and codependent.
Part 1) Why might she be this way? What makes this behavior escalate?
Part 2) How is this similar to Oscar's personality? How does it affect their relationship? Why does it affect their relationship?
Part 3) What affect does her personality have on Harry? Why does it have this affect?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)