|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oscar wonder about the movie's advertisement?
2. Bagby says the miners fear a drop in wages if the President does what?
3. Why is Christina worried about Szyrk?
4. Why can Lily not marry Oscar yet?
5. Kiester serves notice of intent to examine Oscar in Los Angeles and demands what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the complaint that is filed by Oscar?
2. What has Lily's lawyer told Oscar about his injuries?
3. What does Oscar think of Basie? Why does he keep him around?
4. What is explained about the slave, Israel? What are both the Major, Kane, and William's thoughts regarding this discussion?
5. How does Oscar become even more convinced the movie is based on his play? Of what does Harry warn him?
6. Why must Thomas go to Quantness in this part of the play?
7. For what do both Oscar and Trish want to sue?
8. How does Oscar explain his accident?
9. Where are Harry and Christina at the beginning of the story?
10. Why does Oscar want invasion of privacy added to his complaint? Why does he want to add this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a comparison between the dialogue of plays to action in films.
Part 1) Describe dialogue in the play. Describe action in the film.
Part 2) How are dialogue and action compared? Why are they compared?
Part 3) How is this comparison revealed when Oscar sees the movie? What are his thoughts on dialogue in a play and action in a film? Why does he feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
Racism is raised.
Part 1) What is the connection between racism and one of the story's themes?
Part 2) How does racism permeate both the story and Oscar's play? What is the reason for this?
Part 3) Racist comments are made. Why? How does this racism affect you as the reader? Why are you affected this way?
Essay Topic 3
The title of the novel is "A Frolic of His Own."
Part 1) What is the meaning behind this title? How do you know this?
Part 2) If you could rename it, what would it be and why?
Part 3) How does this "frolic" affect the various characters? Why?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)