|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What forces Thomas to go north to prevent the Union government from seizing everything?
2. How does Oscar reply when Basie interrupts to ask how Israel fits into his play?
3. Basie says a newspaper report has raised hopes in Oscar's case, provided what?
4. Oscar recalls sending the script to whom?
5. In more responsive hands, observes the Times, the characters of the movie might have reflected what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are news headlines, regarding Oscar's father? What do they mean for his father?
2. What ends Oscar's play's character's, Thomas, dream of a life in public office?
3. What is the rambling, disjointed message that Trish leaves for Christina?
4. Why must Thomas go to Quantness in this part of the play?
5. Why can Oscar not go to California, according to Christina? What are Basie and Oscar's plans, regarding this trip?
6. What does Basie notice when Oscar reads dialogue between Kane and Thomas about justice? How does Oscar respond?
7. What does Oscar do when Harold Basie arrives?
8. What happens in the next scene of Oscar's play?
9. What is explained about the slave, Israel? What are both the Major, Kane, and William's thoughts regarding this discussion?
10. Why has Pai been having this discussion with Oscar? What does he want to know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lily has a lump in her breast.
Part 1) How does this affect her? What role does her lump play in her relationship with Oscar?
Part 2) What is this lump? What dose she do with this knowledge? Why?
Part 3) How will this news about her lump affect her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The family myth is destroyed.
Part 1) What is the family myth? How is it destroyed? How are the various characters affected by this?
Part 2) How different would the story have been if this myth had been discovered earlier in the story?
Part 3) How has this discover affected you as the reader? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar is involved in a car accident.
Part 1) How is he in a car accident? How does this accident act as a catalyst?
Part 2) How does his accident affect the decision he makes? Are they good decisions? Why or why not?
Part 3) What is the ultimate outcome in Oscar's life because of this accident? Why was this accident so important?
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)