|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a lunch break accommodating Oscar's nap, Pai apologizes to Oscar for what?
2. Using only the newspapers of the day, what is Oscar showing?
3. When does the Soldier take Thomas' $20?
4. Why does Oscar demand a subpoena of Kiester's records?
5. Harry hopes once Szyrk is reversed, what will happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why must Thomas go to Quantness in this part of the play?
2. How does Oscar become even more convinced the movie is based on his play? Of what does Harry warn him?
3. How does Oscar use Shakespeare in his argument? What is Pai's response to this?
4. How and why does Basie interrupt the reading of the script?
5. What ends Oscar's play's character's, Thomas, dream of a life in public office?
6. What do Pai and Oscar do after Oscar's nap?
7. What does Lily do and say when she visits Oscar?
8. What does Lily think of Oscar's play so far?
9. What takes place in Scene 2 of Oscar's play?
10. How does Kevin know about Oscar's scar, according to Lily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Christina is frenzied and codependent.
Part 1) Why might she be this way? What makes this behavior escalate?
Part 2) How is this similar to Oscar's personality? How does it affect their relationship? Why does it affect their relationship?
Part 3) What affect does her personality have on Harry? Why does it have this affect?
Essay Topic 2
The family myth is destroyed.
Part 1) What is the family myth? How is it destroyed? How are the various characters affected by this?
Part 2) How different would the story have been if this myth had been discovered earlier in the story?
Part 3) How has this discover affected you as the reader? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar and Christina revert to childhood at the end of the novel.
Part 1) Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this behavior reflect the personalities of these characters?
Part 3) Why does the author end the story this way? Explain.
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)