|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bagby says the miners fear a drop in wages if the President does what?
2. What does Thomas' mother refuse to leave?
3. To what does Pai direct Oscar's attention to that Oscar identifies as coming from Book 1 of Plato's Republic?
4. Oscar is not sure he will walk again and has been assured by Kevin, Lily's lawyer; his scar is what?
5. What has John Israel done?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what do both Oscar and Trish want to sue?
2. What ends Oscar's play's character's, Thomas, dream of a life in public office?
3. How does Kiester respond to this?
4. Where are Harry and Christina at the beginning of the story?
5. How does Oscar become even more convinced the movie is based on his play? Of what does Harry warn him?
6. What does Oscar do when Harold Basie arrives?
7. What does Thomas recall about war in this scene?
8. What is explained about the slave, Israel? What are both the Major, Kane, and William's thoughts regarding this discussion?
9. How does the reader first meet Trish Hemsley?
10. What do Pai and Oscar do after Oscar's nap?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Racism is raised.
Part 1) What is the connection between racism and one of the story's themes?
Part 2) How does racism permeate both the story and Oscar's play? What is the reason for this?
Part 3) Racist comments are made. Why? How does this racism affect you as the reader? Why are you affected this way?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar and Christina revert to childhood at the end of the novel.
Part 1) Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this behavior reflect the personalities of these characters?
Part 3) Why does the author end the story this way? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The title of the novel is "A Frolic of His Own."
Part 1) What is the meaning behind this title? How do you know this?
Part 2) If you could rename it, what would it be and why?
Part 3) How does this "frolic" affect the various characters? Why?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)