|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oscar include natural slavery in the play?
2. What has John Israel done?
3. Harry and Christina lie naked amidst what?
4. Why is Christina worried about Szyrk?
5. Bagby says the miners fear a drop in wages if the President does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Oscar want invasion of privacy added to his complaint? Why does he want to add this?
2. How does Oscar become even more convinced the movie is based on his play? Of what does Harry warn him?
3. What does Lily do and say when she visits Oscar?
4. How does Basie explain why members of Oscar's family are left out of the suit and the language is repetitious?
5. How does Kevin know about Oscar's scar, according to Lily?
6. How does the reader first meet Trish Hemsley?
7. What does Oscar think of Basie? Why does he keep him around?
8. How does Oscar explain his accident?
9. What does Lily think of Oscar's play so far?
10. Why must Thomas go to Quantness in this part of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another minor theme is religious hypocrisy.
Part 1) How is this a theme? Why has the author included this as a theme?
Part 2) What can you guess about the author's opinion of the judicial system, based on this theme?
Part 3) How is this theme threaded throughout the story? How is this theme significant? How does it affect the various characters?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar and Christina are siblings.
Part 1) Describe their relationship.
Part 2) Describe their similarities and differences. Explain why they have these similarities and differences.
Part 3) Compare and contrast their relationship with one another to their relationships with others.
Essay Topic 3
A minor theme is Hiawatha.
Part 1) What or who is Hiawatha? How is this a theme?
Part 2) Why has the author included this as a theme?
Part 3) What is its connection with other themes in the book? Explain.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)