|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the plaintiff do with the play?
2. Today's newspaper implicates what about the producer, Kiester?
3. What does this travel north end for Thomas?
4. What has happened to Oscar?
5. Why does Basie interrupt by admitting Oscar's lawsuit could be a landmark if they win?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lily think of Oscar's play so far?
2. What does Oscar do when Harold Basie arrives?
3. What happens in the next scene of Oscar's play?
4. What does Thomas recall about war in this scene?
5. Why does Oscar want invasion of privacy added to his complaint? Why does he want to add this?
6. When Mother refuses to leave her broken-down farmhouse, what is the reasoning she gives to Thomas?
7. How does Oscar use Shakespeare in his argument? What is Pai's response to this?
8. Why is Trish suing to maintain support payments for her son?
9. What does Oscar think of Basie? Why does he keep him around?
10. How does Oscar become even more convinced the movie is based on his play? Of what does Harry warn him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A recurring theme is black vs. Jew.
Part 1) Why does the author make this a theme?
Part 2) How does this theme affect the relationships of the characters of varying ethnicity?
Part 3) Are you surprised about this theme in a contemporary story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) What stress does Lily have in her life? Why does she snap?
Part 2) How do others deal with her at this point? Why? What is the connection with her snapping to what is going on in the story?
Part 3) What does this reveal about Lily's personality? What are your thoughts and opinion of Lily? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The title of the novel is "A Frolic of His Own."
Part 1) What is the meaning behind this title? How do you know this?
Part 2) If you could rename it, what would it be and why?
Part 3) How does this "frolic" affect the various characters? Why?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)