|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rev. Bobby Joe, freed from jail, say Daddy cannot come to visit?
(a) He has a baptism to attend to.
(b) He is busy preaching.
(c) He is having a big operation and Bobby Joe is offering him spiritual comfort in case the Lord carries him home during it.
(d) He no longer trusts Daddy.
2. Why does Oscar insist Christina come see the television?
(a) There's a mob carrying placards that say, "KEEP GOD IN AMERICA, MURDERER."
(b) There are many funny commercials to watch.
(c) His father is speaking to the camera.
(d) Spot the dog is being interviewed on the nightly news.
3. What does Jerry explain as the left hand side of Oscar's story?
(a) The runaway slave, the invisible man haunting Thomas (and the entire play).
(b) Kane hounding Thomas about justice and moral rectitude leading him deeper into his dilemma, and Bagby blackmailing him for 4,000 years of Christian guilt.
(c) Thomas's trip north to take care of his uncle's property.
(d) There is no left hand side of Oscar's story.
4. What does Bone do with the play besides summarizing the plot of the play and observing classical sources have been used?
(a) He vaguely describes the main characters.
(b) Analyzing the first two acts scene-by-scene.
(c) He makes fun of Oscar.
(d) He only discusses the parts that are similar to the movie.
5. What does Jerry think will happen by having Bagby hungering for intelligent talk in an intellectual wasteland?
(a) It will be too deep for the audience.
(b) It will make the audience hate the character even more.
(c) It will improve the character.
(d) It will destroy the character.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jerry want to change the character of Kane, which would also put Broadway audiences in Oscar's hands?
2. Of what is Christina afraid when Oscar reads he has lost the suit?
3. What does Lily tell Oscar that her Daddy and Rev. Billy Joe are blaming her for?
4. Why will the state do nothing to help Oscar with his legal fees, according to Harry?
5. What does Christina say when Oscar says he needs a secretary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Christina and Lily find Oscar staring blankly in the library?
2. How does Christina react when a real estate woman shows up at the house?
3. What does Oscar do when he is served a subpoena? What does Christina think about this?
4. What does Christina do about Oscar's legal bills? Why does she do this?
5. How does Father uses religion in a court case?
6. What connection is made between Lily and the law clerk?
7. What are Oscar's plans for his play?
8. How are Harry and Oscar's situations with their fathers similar?
9. What are the connections between the play and the movie?
10. What might happen regarding the legal bills brought about from Oscars suit? Why is this?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)