|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the 1930s, the yellow press ran stories about Grandfather doing what?
(a) Becoming a lawyer and finally a judge.
(b) Hiring substitutes in both the Union and Confederate armies who ended up killing one another
(c) Running for governor.
(d) Opening a secret dive bar during the days of Prohibition.
2. After a lunch break accommodating Oscar's nap, Pai apologizes to Oscar for what?
(a) Yelling at him.
(b) Any appearance of disrespect.
(c) Not formally introducing himself.
(d) Asking him so many questions.
3. Of what does Harry warn Oscar?
(a) The media are looking for signs of family madness to get even with Father over Szyrk.
(b) He will not be able to help him.
(c) He will get nowhere by suing the director of the Civil War movie.
(d) It will cost him thousands to have two law suits taking place.
4. Of what does Thomas accuse his mother?
(a) Not being kind enough to all the slaves.
(b) Being too harsh on John Israel.
(c) Cherishing justice and easily relinquishing the past.
(d) Cherishing injustice and refusing to relinquish the past.
5. The Major makes an aside to Kane about what, regarding Israel?
(a) Educating a slave to read and carve wood like Israel is an invitation to trouble. K
(b) Israel would be a powerful ally to have against Thomas.
(c) All slaves should be educated.
(d) Israel will never get caught.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Oscar?
2. In Scene 2 of the play,Thomas approaches a limping Soldier wearing a worn Union uniform. Called back to active duty, the Soldier seeks to sell four months' worth of future pay for what?
3. How do Harry and Christina find Oscar trapped?
4. Why does Oscar include natural slavery in the play?
5. When Oscar admits at least one instance of two substitutes fighting and killing one another exists, how does Pai respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Basie explain why members of Oscar's family are left out of the suit and the language is repetitious?
2. Why can Oscar not go to California, according to Christina? What are Basie and Oscar's plans, regarding this trip?
3. What ends Oscar's play's character's, Thomas, dream of a life in public office?
4. How and why does Basie interrupt the reading of the script?
5. Why does Oscar want invasion of privacy added to his complaint? Why does he want to add this?
6. What does Thomas recall about war in this scene?
7. What does Oscar do when Harold Basie arrives?
8. Where are Harry and Christina at the beginning of the story?
9. Why must Thomas go to Quantness in this part of the play?
10. Why is Trish suing to maintain support payments for her son?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)