|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Since when has Oscar been feeling terminal?
(a) Ever since that morning.
(b) Ever since a man in black came offering him money to carry messages to the other side.
(c) Ever since his physical therapy began.
(d) Ever since his accident.
2. What does Pai say about Oscar seeking substantial monetary damages?
(a) He is being greedy and wanting what is not his.
(b) He is seeking them for a work he claims to have created not primarily for monetary gain.
(c) He deserves every penny he can get, because the movie is surely based on his play.
(d) He will not be awarded much money, since the movie was a failure and a flop.
3. Of what does Thomas accuse his mother?
(a) Cherishing justice and easily relinquishing the past.
(b) Cherishing injustice and refusing to relinquish the past.
(c) Not being kind enough to all the slaves.
(d) Being too harsh on John Israel.
4. When Harry calls Oscar, what advice does he give him?
(a) Tell the lawyers and judges everything.
(b) Relax, tell the truth, and not volunteer.
(c) Give all the information he can.
(d) Call him if he needs anything.
5. Why does Oscar say his play has never been performed?
(a) He is too afraid to show it to a producer.
(b) Broadway was never big enough for him.
(c) Broadway only wants "tits and ass."
(d) He has yet to complete it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Basie explain the complaint must conform to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure?
2. Oscar maintains "when the idea is used in the context of the expression, combined with the expression, then the idea becomes part of the abuse I'm referring to," but denies what?
3. What does Trish gush with joy over, besides Oscar now having someone to sue so he will be set for life?
4. William longs to fight in the war, which Thomas says what?
5. Christina and Harry go to Room 612B and find Oscar upset. Over what is he upset?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kevin know about Oscar's scar, according to Lily?
2. Why can Oscar not go to California, according to Christina? What are Basie and Oscar's plans, regarding this trip?
3. Why does Oscar want invasion of privacy added to his complaint? Why does he want to add this?
4. When Mother refuses to leave her broken-down farmhouse, what is the reasoning she gives to Thomas?
5. How does the reader first meet Trish Hemsley?
6. What does Oscar think of Basie? Why does he keep him around?
7. What is wrong with Lily, when she enters the scene?
8. How and why does Basie interrupt the reading of the script?
9. How does the official transcript of Oscar's deposition open?
10. What does Thomas recall about war in this scene?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)