|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Ezr that he's to become the new fleet manager for the Qeng Ho in Chapter Nine?
2. In Chapter Eighteen, the Spiders have made progress on the rebuilding that has to occur, including the completion of the what?
3. The region of the planet Arachna is provided light and warmth only about how many years out of every cycle of 250 years?
4. Some of the Qeng Ho people are reportedly being held hostage above a ship called what in Chapter Ten?
5. What junior quartermaster is angry over the lack of technology available in Chapter Ten?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Pham Trilini? How is he described in the first chapters of the book?
2. What is the relationship between Victory Smith and Sherkaner like in the first chapters of the book?
3. How do the Emergents differ from the Qeng Ho in their exploration of other planets?
4. How is Spider civilization described by the author in the first chapters of the book?
5. How is Arachna described in the book? What periods of time are in darkness there and why?
6. Who are Sherkaner's children in Chapter Fifteen?
7. How is the university described in Chapter Fifteen?
8. What family does Sherkaner learn about from his former teacher in Chapter Four?
9. What are Sherkaner's plans for the Spiders as technology develops in Chapter Fifteen?
10. What does the term "focused" mean in the context of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Victory Smith in the narrative. What relationship does Victory share with Sherkaner?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the objectives and actions of the Spider civilization in Chapters Eighteen and Nineteen. What is "coldsleep" and is it a biological adaptation?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the actions of Ezr in Chapter Twenty-Five and his discovery of "mindrot runaway." How is this related to focus?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)