|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Fourteen, who is driving with Unnerby and Sherkaner as passengers in the vehicle?
2. Why are the Qeng Ho operating with less technology than usual in Chapter Ten?
3. How did most of the crew of the Qeng Ho expedition spend the voyage?
4. What group in the novel is domineering and can't imagine establishing relationships based on anything other than enforced slavery?
5. In Chapter Fourteen, Sherkaner explains that he has a plan to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is cycling in relation to Spider reproduction?
2. What promotion does Ezr receive in Chapter Nine? Why?
3. What is "mindrot" and how is it used in the attack in Chapters Seven and Eight?
4. Who is Pham Trilini? How is he described in the first chapters of the book?
5. What organic technology is being used by the Spiders in Chapter One?
6. What does the term "focused" mean in the context of the book?
7. How is the university described in Chapter Fifteen?
8. How is Ezr injured during the attack in Chapter Seven?
9. Whose voice did Ezr hear just before the explosion of the Far Treasure? What does he consider about what was said?
10. What took place on the Far Treasure during the attack by the Emergents? What did Jimmy find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the objectives and actions of the Spider civilization in Chapters Eighteen and Nineteen. What is "coldsleep" and is it a biological adaptation?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the actions of Jimmy Diem and the explosion of the Far Treasure in Chapters Eleven through Thirteen. Why does Jimmy choose to negotiate anyway?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationships between Sherkaner, Victory Smith and Hrunkner Unnerby in Chapter Fourteen. How does Unnerby know Sherkaner?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)