|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the relighting of the On/Off Star in Chapter Eleven, who has ideas for the job but is forced to remain on board while Jimmy handles the project?
2. What group in the novel is domineering and can't imagine establishing relationships based on anything other than enforced slavery?
3. What member of the Qeng Ho is a linguistics expert, and her task as one of the focused is to learn all she can about the Spiders?
4. What refers to the use of sustained nuclear fission to generate heat and do useful work?
5. Emergent managers induce obsession with a single idea or specialty, which they call what in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the university described in Chapter Fifteen?
2. Whose voice did Ezr hear just before the explosion of the Far Treasure? What does he consider about what was said?
3. Who is Pham Trilini? How is he described in the first chapters of the book?
4. Who is Thomas Nau and how did he come to his position in the mission?
5. What promotion does Ezr receive in Chapter Nine? Why?
6. What is cycling in relation to Spider reproduction?
7. What creature do Sherk and Tarant encounter during the attack of the supply station in Chapter Seven?
8. What does the term "focused" mean in the context of the book?
9. Who are the Qeng Ho people, and what principle goal do they have as described in Chapter One?
10. Who explains the use of "mindrot" to Ezr in Chapter Ten? How is it related to "focus"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationships between Sherkaner, Victory Smith and Hrunkner Unnerby in Chapter Fourteen. How does Unnerby know Sherkaner?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the actions of Ezr in Chapter Twenty-Five and his discovery of "mindrot runaway." How is this related to focus?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Victory Smith in the narrative. What relationship does Victory share with Sherkaner?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)