|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Sherkaner married in Chapter Fourteen?
2. In Chapter Twelve, the Relight is causing all sorts of problems, and what are floating near several of the ships?
3. What is the name of the section of the ship where the waste is handled?
4. How old is Qiwi Lin Lisolet when her family and the Qeng Ho arrive at the On/Off Star?
5. What is the name of Qiwi Lisolet's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What promotion does Ezr receive in Chapter Nine? Why?
2. Who is Pham Trilini? How is he described in the first chapters of the book?
3. What took place on the Far Treasure during the attack by the Emergents? What did Jimmy find?
4. How is Spider civilization described by the author in the first chapters of the book?
5. What does the term "focused" mean in the context of the book?
6. What are Sherkaner's plans for the Spiders as technology develops in Chapter Fifteen?
7. What does Ezr discover about his injury during the attack in Chapter Ten?
8. Who explains the use of "mindrot" to Ezr in Chapter Ten? How is it related to "focus"?
9. How is the university described in Chapter Fifteen?
10. How do the Emergents differ from the Qeng Ho in their exploration of other planets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the actions of Jimmy Diem and the explosion of the Far Treasure in Chapters Eleven through Thirteen. Why does Jimmy choose to negotiate anyway?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of exploitation and mind control in the narrative and describe the process of "focus." How was focus developed and for what reasons?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the objectives of Pham Trilini and his experiences seeing the focused in Chapter Twenty-Two. What use does Pham see for the treatment?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)