|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years have lapsed since Sherkaner's arrival at Lands Command in Chapter Six?
2. What vice-podmaster arrives in the garden angry because the park is closed and Qiwi is there, in Chapter Fifteen?
3. In Chapter Seven, what elderly Qeng Ho is on the captain's bridge?
4. Who tells Ezr that he's to become the new fleet manager for the Qeng Ho in Chapter Nine?
5. Why are the Qeng Ho operating with less technology than usual in Chapter Ten?
Short Essay Questions
1. What family does Sherkaner learn about from his former teacher in Chapter Four?
2. Whose voice did Ezr hear just before the explosion of the Far Treasure? What does he consider about what was said?
3. How is Ezr injured during the attack in Chapter Seven?
4. What organic technology is being used by the Spiders in Chapter One?
5. Who is Pham Trilini? How is he described in the first chapters of the book?
6. What does Ezr discover about his injury during the attack in Chapter Ten?
7. Who are Sherkaner's children in Chapter Fifteen?
8. What are Sherkaner's plans for the Spiders as technology develops in Chapter Fifteen?
9. How is Arachna described in the book? What periods of time are in darkness there and why?
10. What is the relationship between Victory Smith and Sherkaner like in the first chapters of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the cycling of the Spider community and the themes of cultural identity and social values amongst the society. How are the Spiders relative to humankind?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Ritsel Brughel and his actions and objectives in the narrative. Why does Ritsel accuse Qiwi of subversion?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Arachna and the On/Off Star. How long are periods of light and dark there? How does this affect Spider society?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)