|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert have to do before he can go to the fair?
2. How does Pinky behave in the show ring?
3. What is the unspoken understanding in the Peck household?
4. What does Robert realize about the three people who love him aside from his parents?
5. What does Mr. Hillman reveal about the child in the small coffin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the weaseling procedure in which Robert participates/
2. What does Mama send with Robert to the fair?
3. What is the unspoken understanding regarding Pinky in the Peck household?
4. Explain Mama's position on Widow Bascom's situation.
5. How does Chapter 8 demonstrate the tolerance of the people in the Shaker religion?
6. What is Robert's reaction to the weaseling?
7. What do Papa and Robert find in the cemetery?
8. What does Robert hear his mother and aunt discussing in Chapter 9?
9. How does Papa react to Robert's maturity over giving up Pinky for the welfare of the family?
10. Why does Mama send Robert out to hunt for a gray squirrel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On the day his father dies, Robert notices Papa's tools worn to a golden finish as well as a cigar box containing papers on which Papa had attempted to write his name. What is the significance of these two items? What do they represent now for Robert? What did they represent for Papa?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Robert's reasons for running out of school in Chapter 1. Why is he offended when a classmate teases him about his plain clothes? What is the overall picture of Robert's frustration and anger?
Essay Topic 3
Develop a character profile on Papa. What are his physical characteristics? What are his personality traits? What is important to him?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)