|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Tanner tells Papa and Mama that Robert _______________________.
2. What is Robert doing at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. What does Ira tell Robert about the calves he helped deliver?
4. What Shaker belief overshadows Robert's happiness at the prospect of paying off the farm?
5. What does Papa mean when he tells Robert they should go "get it done."
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the family not have enough food to eat for the winter?
2. What is the unspoken understanding regarding Pinky in the Peck household?
3. Why does Mama send Robert out to hunt for a gray squirrel?
4. How does Robert show his forgiveness toward his father for slaughtering Pinky?
5. What is the significance of Pinky's being barren?
6. Describe how Robert's farm boy innocence exhibits at the fair.
7. Explain Mama's position on Widow Bascom's situation.
8. How is Robert's maturity affecting his view on religion
9. What awakens Robert at the beginning of Chapter 8?
10. On what topic must Robert remind himself not to be too greedy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Develop a character profile on Papa. What are his physical characteristics? What are his personality traits? What is important to him?
Essay Topic 2
Develop a character profile on Robert. What are his physical characteristics? What are his personality traits? What is important to him?
Essay Topic 3
The reader is introduced to some Shaker folklore in Chapter 2 while the family is tending to Robert's wounds sustained while helping the cow. Cite at least three examples of Shaker folklore in the book and note why you selected these examples as representative of the Shaker culture.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)