|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Revolutionary War figure was a resident of Robert's town?
2. What are Mr. Tanner's twin calves named?
3. According to Papa, what do fences do?
4. What religion does Robert's family belong to?
5. What meal does Robert's mother bring to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Robert's father, what role do fences play in life for both humans and animals?
2. What is humorous about Robert's interpretation of his aunt's proposal of tutoring?
3. Explain why even though Papa has no formal education, he is still well aware of his worth.
4. Explain Robert's observations about a hawk flying overhead.
5. Why is Robert not offended by the stench of animal slaughtering on his father?
6. What does Robert encounter when he wanders after leaving school?
7. What is Robert's odd behavior after the hawk catches a rabbit?
8. What situation of foreshadowing occurs in Chapter 7?
9. What event in town is Robert prohibited from attending due to Shaker law?
10. How does everyone at the farm view the birth of the new kittens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Develop a character profile on Papa. What are his physical characteristics? What are his personality traits? What is important to him?
Essay Topic 2
One of the most important lessons Papa teaches Robert is when Papa slaughters Pinky so that the family will have some much-needed food. Name three lessons inherent in this scenario and why they are such big teaching examples for Robert.
Essay Topic 3
On the day his father dies, Robert notices Papa's tools worn to a golden finish as well as a cigar box containing papers on which Papa had attempted to write his name. What is the significance of these two items? What do they represent now for Robert? What did they represent for Papa?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)