|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Robert stay in bed to recover from his ordeal?
2. What does Robert imagine Pinky says to him?
3. What is the name of the ox that pulls the family's wagon?
4. What is Robert's father unhappy about?
5. What does Robert's father consider the piglet to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert encounter when he wanders after leaving school?
2. What is the relationship between Robert and Pinky?
3. What is the literary technique used when Robert watches a crow kill a frog in a pond?
4. Describe Robert's appreciation for his simple meal of succotash and milk.
5. How is Robert injured in his encounter with the cow?
6. Why is Robert not in school on the day of his adventure with the cow?
7. How does everyone at the farm view the birth of the new kittens?
8. How is Papa's sense of humor revealed in Chapter 3?
9. Explain why even though Papa has no formal education, he is still well aware of his worth.
10. What is humorous about Robert's interpretation of his aunt's proposal of tutoring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Robert's reasons for running out of school in Chapter 1. Why is he offended when a classmate teases him about his plain clothes? What is the overall picture of Robert's frustration and anger?
Essay Topic 2
Robert begins to show signs of maturity as the story evolves. Cite at least three examples that show that Robert is growing up and note why you selected the examples.
Essay Topic 3
One of the most important lessons Papa teaches Robert is when Papa slaughters Pinky so that the family will have some much-needed food. Name three lessons inherent in this scenario and why they are such big teaching examples for Robert.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)