|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jenkins learn is Widmerpool's first name?
2. What is Deacon bothered by in a club in Chapter 4 of "A Buyer's Market"?
3. Where does Deacon invite Jenkins to go with him and Gypsy in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
4. To whom does Jenkins compare Deacon?
5. What is Ralph's surname?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Jenkins and his acquaintances are having coffee in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market", who comes along with an invitation for them?
2. What does Barnby tell Jenkins about Deacon when they meet?
3. What does Jenkins attend in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What relieves Jenkins at the event?
4. When speaking to Widmerpool after the dance, what does Jenkins say he is doing to earn a living? What does Windmerpool think of Jenkins' employment?
5. Who is Max Pilgrim? Why do he and Deacon argue in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
6. When does Jenkins realize his feelings for Barbara must be cooling?
7. What happens on the way to the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market" which confuses Jenkins?
8. After the sugar incident, what does Jenkins realize about Barbara?
9. Who is Ralph Barnby?
10. Where does Jenkins encounter Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does he find out about Widmerpool ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Powell tells Jenkins story from Jenkins' perspective, and as such, the reader is only privy to as much as Jenkins is. Thus, there is a significant amount of ambiguity in the novel. What are some examples of ambiguity? How does Jenkins try to interpret these ambiguous moments or characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who is jealous of whom and why? Does this jealousy affect the behavior of the jealous? Do they have reason to be jealous?
Essay Topic 3
There are many secondary characters in Powell's work. Analyze and interpret at least five of the secondary characters of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". How important are they to the protagonist and the plot? What are their defining character traits?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)