|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the flyers Deacon and Gypsy distribute?
2. What does Barbara accidentally pour over someone's head?
3. What is Lady Walpole-Wilson's relation to Barbara?
4. Who is Jenkins relieved to hear is out of the country in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. What does Eleanor have a great interest in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the topic of conversation turn to Gypsy when Jenkins and Widmerpool meet at the Waldpole-Wilsons' estate?
2. When speaking to Widmerpool after the dance, what does Jenkins say he is doing to earn a living? What does Windmerpool think of Jenkins' employment?
3. What does Barnby tell Jenkins about Deacon when they meet?
4. After the sugar incident, what does Jenkins realize about Barbara?
5. In Jenkins' eyes, what makes Eleanor different from the other society girls?
6. After meeting Barbara Goring, what does Jenkins worry about?
7. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
8. What leads to Deacon's death?
9. As Jenkins and his acquaintances are having coffee in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market", who comes along with an invitation for them?
10. How do Jenkins and Widmerpool react to the news of Barbara's engagement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social classes illustrated in the novels. What social class is Jenkins a part of? How does this affect his behavior and his attitudes towards others? Who are some characters in the novel who are members of other social classes? How are they treated?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of marriage and divorce in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who marries in the novels? Who divorces or separates in the novels? Why? What does Jenkins think of marriage and divorce?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the social conventions illustrated in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some of the social mores and practices that Jenkins observes or adheres to himself? What do these conventions suggest of the characters place in society?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)