|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jenkins say he is living in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
2. Who does Truscott suggest Widmerpool should meet with?
3. Who introduces Barbara to Jenkins?
4. What does Jenkins think about Eleanor is Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. What is Widmerpool worried about in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the way to the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market" which confuses Jenkins?
2. What does Thompsitt ask Jenkins as they leave the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does Jenkins think Thompsitt has realized?
3. As Jenkins and his acquaintances are having coffee in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market", who comes along with an invitation for them?
4. What does Barnby tell Jenkins about Deacon when they meet?
5. When speaking to Widmerpool after the dance, what does Jenkins say he is doing to earn a living? What does Windmerpool think of Jenkins' employment?
6. How do Jenkins and Widmerpool react to the news of Barbara's engagement?
7. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
8. After meeting Barbara Goring, what does Jenkins worry about?
9. Who is Ralph Barnby?
10. In Jenkins' eyes, what makes Eleanor different from the other society girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social classes illustrated in the novels. What social class is Jenkins a part of? How does this affect his behavior and his attitudes towards others? Who are some characters in the novel who are members of other social classes? How are they treated?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social conventions illustrated in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some of the social mores and practices that Jenkins observes or adheres to himself? What do these conventions suggest of the characters place in society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jenkins' growth as a character. How does he grow throughout the novels? How was he able to do this? How does it change his relationships with others?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)