|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Stringham engaged to in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
2. Where is Jenkins employed in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
3. What does Jenkins learn is Widmerpool's first name?
4. Who does Jenkins meet again at Deacon's event?
5. Who is Jenkins relieved to hear is out of the country in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Jenkins realize his feelings for Barbara must be cooling?
2. Who does Jenkins encounter as he is leaving the party in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
3. Who is Max Pilgrim? Why do he and Deacon argue in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
4. What does Truscott suggest when he meets Widmerpool?
5. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
6. When speaking to Widmerpool after the dance, what does Jenkins say he is doing to earn a living? What does Windmerpool think of Jenkins' employment?
7. In Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market", why does it seem to Jenkins that Stringham is well acquainted with Milly?
8. Why does the topic of conversation turn to Gypsy when Jenkins and Widmerpool meet at the Waldpole-Wilsons' estate?
9. After meeting Barbara Goring, what does Jenkins worry about?
10. What leads to Deacon's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the genre of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time"?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret Powell's use of humor in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". How does he illustrate the lives of the English upper-class in a humorous light? Who are some of the comedic characters in the novels? What are some of the comedic situations in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of marriage and divorce in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who marries in the novels? Who divorces or separates in the novels? Why? What does Jenkins think of marriage and divorce?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)