|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the house Jenkins is at in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
2. When Widmerpool and Jenkins meet in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market", who does Widmerpool bring up as a topic of conversation?
3. What does Widmerpool say about Jenkins' employment?
4. Who does Pilgrim argue with at the party in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. Who is Stringham engaged to in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Jenkins encounter Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does he find out about Widmerpool ?
2. After meeting Barbara Goring, what does Jenkins worry about?
3. What does Jenkins attend in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What relieves Jenkins at the event?
4. What happens on the way to the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market" which confuses Jenkins?
5. In Jenkins' eyes, what makes Eleanor different from the other society girls?
6. Who does Jenkins encounter as he is leaving the party in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
7. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
8. Who is Ralph Barnby?
9. What does Barnby tell Jenkins about Deacon when they meet?
10. As Jenkins and his acquaintances are having coffee in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market", who comes along with an invitation for them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time" examines how time changes the relationships in one's life. Discuss how this is true with three of Jenkins' relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Jenkins and Jean. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationship? Are they well-suited for one another? Why or why not? What keeps them apart throughout the novel? What do they feel about adultery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jenkins' growth as a character. How does he grow throughout the novels? How was he able to do this? How does it change his relationships with others?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)