|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Max Pilgrim?
2. What firm does Widmerpool now work for in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
3. Who owns the building Ralph lives in?
4. To whom does Jenkins compare Deacon?
5. What does Widmerpool do at the firm he works for?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the sugar incident, what does Jenkins realize about Barbara?
2. What does Barnby tell Jenkins about Deacon when they meet?
3. Who is Ralph Barnby?
4. What does Jenkins attend in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What relieves Jenkins at the event?
5. What happens on the way to the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market" which confuses Jenkins?
6. Who does Jenkins encounter as he is leaving the party in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
7. What leads to Deacon's death?
8. What does Thompsitt ask Jenkins as they leave the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does Jenkins think Thompsitt has realized?
9. Why does the topic of conversation turn to Gypsy when Jenkins and Widmerpool meet at the Waldpole-Wilsons' estate?
10. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Powell's use of humor in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". How does he illustrate the lives of the English upper-class in a humorous light? Who are some of the comedic characters in the novels? What are some of the comedic situations in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Jenkins and Jean. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationship? Are they well-suited for one another? Why or why not? What keeps them apart throughout the novel? What do they feel about adultery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jenkins' growth as a character. How does he grow throughout the novels? How was he able to do this? How does it change his relationships with others?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)