|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barbara accidentally pour over someone's head?
2. Where does Jenkins say he is living in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
3. Who does Jenkins run into after leaving the party in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
4. Whose home is Jenkins invited to in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. Where does Stringham say he is going to attend a party in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Truscott suggest when he meets Widmerpool?
2. Who is Max Pilgrim? Why do he and Deacon argue in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
3. Why does the topic of conversation turn to Gypsy when Jenkins and Widmerpool meet at the Waldpole-Wilsons' estate?
4. As Jenkins and his acquaintances are having coffee in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market", who comes along with an invitation for them?
5. In Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market", why does it seem to Jenkins that Stringham is well acquainted with Milly?
6. Who is Ralph Barnby?
7. When speaking to Widmerpool after the dance, what does Jenkins say he is doing to earn a living? What does Windmerpool think of Jenkins' employment?
8. In Jenkins' eyes, what makes Eleanor different from the other society girls?
9. After the sugar incident, what does Jenkins realize about Barbara?
10. How do Jenkins and Widmerpool react to the news of Barbara's engagement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who is jealous of whom and why? Does this jealousy affect the behavior of the jealous? Do they have reason to be jealous?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Kenneth Widmerpool. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What does the reader learn about his background and family life? What is his reputation? How is he treated by others?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of friendship in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who is Jenkins friends with in his youth? What ups and downs do their relationships encounter over the years? Does he remain close to his friends from school? Who are his friends as an adult?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)