|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jenkins relieved is not the subject of ridicule in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
2. How does Stringham begin to act at the party in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
3. Where does Stringham say he is going to attend a party in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
4. Where do the Walpole-Wilsons live?
5. What does Jenkins learn is Widmerpool's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ralph Barnby?
2. What does Barnby tell Jenkins about Deacon when they meet?
3. In Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market", why does it seem to Jenkins that Stringham is well acquainted with Milly?
4. When does Jenkins realize his feelings for Barbara must be cooling?
5. When speaking to Widmerpool after the dance, what does Jenkins say he is doing to earn a living? What does Windmerpool think of Jenkins' employment?
6. What does Jenkins attend in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What relieves Jenkins at the event?
7. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
8. What leads to Deacon's death?
9. How do Jenkins and Widmerpool react to the news of Barbara's engagement?
10. In Jenkins' eyes, what makes Eleanor different from the other society girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of friendship in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who is Jenkins friends with in his youth? What ups and downs do their relationships encounter over the years? Does he remain close to his friends from school? Who are his friends as an adult?
Essay Topic 2
There are many secondary characters in Powell's work. Analyze and interpret at least five of the secondary characters of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". How important are they to the protagonist and the plot? What are their defining character traits?
Essay Topic 3
What is the genre of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time"?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)