|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stringham begin to act at the party in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
2. Where is Jenkins employed in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
3. At the beginning of "A Buyer's Market", what event does Jenkins attend?
4. What is Widmerpool worried about in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. What firm does Widmerpool now work for in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Jenkins' eyes, what makes Eleanor different from the other society girls?
2. When speaking to Widmerpool after the dance, what does Jenkins say he is doing to earn a living? What does Windmerpool think of Jenkins' employment?
3. Who does Jenkins encounter as he is leaving the party in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
4. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. What does Thompsitt ask Jenkins as they leave the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does Jenkins think Thompsitt has realized?
6. Why does the topic of conversation turn to Gypsy when Jenkins and Widmerpool meet at the Waldpole-Wilsons' estate?
7. As Jenkins and his acquaintances are having coffee in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market", who comes along with an invitation for them?
8. What does Truscott suggest when he meets Widmerpool?
9. What leads to Deacon's death?
10. What happens on the way to the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market" which confuses Jenkins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social conventions illustrated in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some of the social mores and practices that Jenkins observes or adheres to himself? What do these conventions suggest of the characters place in society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jenkins' growth as a character. How does he grow throughout the novels? How was he able to do this? How does it change his relationships with others?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of marriage and divorce in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who marries in the novels? Who divorces or separates in the novels? Why? What does Jenkins think of marriage and divorce?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)