|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Widmerpool decline to be introduced to someone by Truscott at the party?
2. What is the title of the flyers Deacon and Gypsy distribute?
3. Who owns the house Jenkins is at in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
4. Who does Truscott suggest Widmerpool should meet with?
5. What have Deacon and Gypsy been distributing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jenkins attend in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What relieves Jenkins at the event?
2. When speaking to Widmerpool after the dance, what does Jenkins say he is doing to earn a living? What does Windmerpool think of Jenkins' employment?
3. As Jenkins and his acquaintances are having coffee in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market", who comes along with an invitation for them?
4. Who does Jenkins encounter as he is leaving the party in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. Who is Ralph Barnby?
6. What does Thompsitt ask Jenkins as they leave the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does Jenkins think Thompsitt has realized?
7. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
8. After the sugar incident, what does Jenkins realize about Barbara?
9. What happens on the way to the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market" which confuses Jenkins?
10. Why does the topic of conversation turn to Gypsy when Jenkins and Widmerpool meet at the Waldpole-Wilsons' estate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of friendship in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who is Jenkins friends with in his youth? What ups and downs do their relationships encounter over the years? Does he remain close to his friends from school? Who are his friends as an adult?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social conventions illustrated in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some of the social mores and practices that Jenkins observes or adheres to himself? What do these conventions suggest of the characters place in society?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What happens at the end of the third novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Powell have chosen to end each of the three novels when he did?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)