|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the building Ralph lives in?
2. What is Gypsy's surname?
3. What have Deacon and Gypsy been distributing?
4. What is Deacon bothered by in a club in Chapter 4 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. Who does Jenkins run into after leaving the party in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barnby tell Jenkins about Deacon when they meet?
2. What does Jenkins attend in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What relieves Jenkins at the event?
3. Who does Jenkins encounter as he is leaving the party in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
4. After meeting Barbara Goring, what does Jenkins worry about?
5. After the sugar incident, what does Jenkins realize about Barbara?
6. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
7. When speaking to Widmerpool after the dance, what does Jenkins say he is doing to earn a living? What does Windmerpool think of Jenkins' employment?
8. Who is Ralph Barnby?
9. Who is Max Pilgrim? Why do he and Deacon argue in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
10. As Jenkins and his acquaintances are having coffee in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market", who comes along with an invitation for them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What happens at the end of the third novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Powell have chosen to end each of the three novels when he did?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social conventions illustrated in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some of the social mores and practices that Jenkins observes or adheres to himself? What do these conventions suggest of the characters place in society?
Essay Topic 3
The first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time" examines how time changes the relationships in one's life. Discuss how this is true with three of Jenkins' relationships.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)