|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Widmerpool decline to be introduced to someone by Truscott at the party?
2. What does Jenkins think is pressed against him on the way to the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
3. Where do the Walpole-Wilsons live?
4. What does Jenkins begin to incessantly worry about in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. What does Jenkins think about Eleanor is Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barnby tell Jenkins about Deacon when they meet?
2. When speaking to Widmerpool after the dance, what does Jenkins say he is doing to earn a living? What does Windmerpool think of Jenkins' employment?
3. What does Thompsitt ask Jenkins as they leave the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does Jenkins think Thompsitt has realized?
4. After meeting Barbara Goring, what does Jenkins worry about?
5. Who is Ralph Barnby?
6. When does Jenkins realize his feelings for Barbara must be cooling?
7. What does Jenkins attend in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What relieves Jenkins at the event?
8. What happens on the way to the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market" which confuses Jenkins?
9. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
10. In Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market", why does it seem to Jenkins that Stringham is well acquainted with Milly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Powell tells Jenkins story from Jenkins' perspective, and as such, the reader is only privy to as much as Jenkins is. Thus, there is a significant amount of ambiguity in the novel. What are some examples of ambiguity? How does Jenkins try to interpret these ambiguous moments or characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of marriage and divorce in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who marries in the novels? Who divorces or separates in the novels? Why? What does Jenkins think of marriage and divorce?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Jenkins. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What are his goals and motives? In what tone does he tell his story?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)