|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one topic of conversation at the dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
2. Whose home is Jenkins invited to in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
3. Where does Jenkins say he is living in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
4. Who arrives at the dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market" causing a twinge of dismay in Jenkins?
5. What does Jenkins note about the location of the party in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market", why does it seem to Jenkins that Stringham is well acquainted with Milly?
2. After meeting Barbara Goring, what does Jenkins worry about?
3. Who does Jenkins encounter as he is leaving the party in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
4. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. After the sugar incident, what does Jenkins realize about Barbara?
6. When speaking to Widmerpool after the dance, what does Jenkins say he is doing to earn a living? What does Windmerpool think of Jenkins' employment?
7. Where does Jenkins encounter Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does he find out about Widmerpool ?
8. What does Barnby tell Jenkins about Deacon when they meet?
9. What leads to Deacon's death?
10. What does Jenkins attend in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What relieves Jenkins at the event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of "A Dance to the Music of Time", Anthony Powell. What other books has he written? What is his writing style? How was his work received by critics?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Jenkins and Jean. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationship? Are they well-suited for one another? Why or why not? What keeps them apart throughout the novel? What do they feel about adultery?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Kenneth Widmerpool. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What does the reader learn about his background and family life? What is his reputation? How is he treated by others?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)