|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what does Thompsitt ask Jenkins about in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
2. What is Rosie's surname?
3. What is the title of the flyers Deacon and Gypsy distribute?
4. Who is Jenkins relieved to hear is out of the country in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. How does Jenkins know his feelings for Barbara are cooling?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Jenkins and his acquaintances are having coffee in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market", who comes along with an invitation for them?
2. How do Jenkins and Widmerpool react to the news of Barbara's engagement?
3. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
4. Where does Jenkins encounter Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does he find out about Widmerpool ?
5. What does Truscott suggest when he meets Widmerpool?
6. What does Barnby tell Jenkins about Deacon when they meet?
7. After meeting Barbara Goring, what does Jenkins worry about?
8. What leads to Deacon's death?
9. When does Jenkins realize his feelings for Barbara must be cooling?
10. In Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market", why does it seem to Jenkins that Stringham is well acquainted with Milly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of coincidences in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some examples of coincidences? Why might Powell include so many coincidences? How are coincidences used as a plot device in the three novels?
Essay Topic 2
There are many secondary characters in Powell's work. Analyze and interpret at least five of the secondary characters of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". How important are they to the protagonist and the plot? What are their defining character traits?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Kenneth Widmerpool. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What does the reader learn about his background and family life? What is his reputation? How is he treated by others?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)