|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jenkins think about Eleanor is Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
2. What does Barbara accidentally pour over someone's head?
3. At the beginning of "A Buyer's Market", what event does Jenkins attend?
4. Who does Barbara put off dancing with at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. Who is the hostess of the party in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Jenkins realize his feelings for Barbara must be cooling?
2. What leads to Deacon's death?
3. Who is Ralph Barnby?
4. Who does Jenkins encounter as he is leaving the party in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. After meeting Barbara Goring, what does Jenkins worry about?
6. Where does Jenkins encounter Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does he find out about Widmerpool ?
7. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
8. What does Barnby tell Jenkins about Deacon when they meet?
9. After the sugar incident, what does Jenkins realize about Barbara?
10. What does Thompsitt ask Jenkins as they leave the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does Jenkins think Thompsitt has realized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Kenneth Widmerpool. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What does the reader learn about his background and family life? What is his reputation? How is he treated by others?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret Powell's use of humor in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". How does he illustrate the lives of the English upper-class in a humorous light? Who are some of the comedic characters in the novels? What are some of the comedic situations in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who is jealous of whom and why? Does this jealousy affect the behavior of the jealous? Do they have reason to be jealous?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)