|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ralph's occupation?
2. What word does Lady Walpole-Wilson use to describe Barbara?
3. What is Rosie's surname?
4. What does Eleanor have a great interest in?
5. What is Gypsy's surname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jenkins attend in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What relieves Jenkins at the event?
2. What does Barnby tell Jenkins about Deacon when they meet?
3. After meeting Barbara Goring, what does Jenkins worry about?
4. Where does Jenkins encounter Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does he find out about Widmerpool ?
5. Who is Max Pilgrim? Why do he and Deacon argue in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
6. How do Jenkins and Widmerpool react to the news of Barbara's engagement?
7. Who is Ralph Barnby?
8. What happens on the way to the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market" which confuses Jenkins?
9. What leads to Deacon's death?
10. In Jenkins' eyes, what makes Eleanor different from the other society girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Jenkins. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What are his goals and motives? In what tone does he tell his story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Powell's inspirations for the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who are some of the real figures whom the characters are based on? What personality traits do they share? What piece of art is the work as a whole inspired from? What themes do they share?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of the occult in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What does Jenkins think of the games and tricks associated with the occult in "The Acceptance World"? Who is Mrs. Erdleigh and what does she predict? Do her predictions come true? What is a Planchette board? What messages does it give the group?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)