|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jenkins relieved is not the subject of ridicule in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
2. What does Deacon ask Jenkins about when they meet on the street in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
3. What is Ralph's surname?
4. Who is Max Pilgrim?
5. Who do Jenkins and Widmerpool find out is engaged at the end of "A Buyer's Market"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Truscott suggest when he meets Widmerpool?
2. Who does Jenkins encounter as he is leaving the party in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
3. When does Jenkins realize his feelings for Barbara must be cooling?
4. What does Thompsitt ask Jenkins as they leave the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does Jenkins think Thompsitt has realized?
5. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
6. In Jenkins' eyes, what makes Eleanor different from the other society girls?
7. When speaking to Widmerpool after the dance, what does Jenkins say he is doing to earn a living? What does Windmerpool think of Jenkins' employment?
8. What does Barnby tell Jenkins about Deacon when they meet?
9. What happens on the way to the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market" which confuses Jenkins?
10. Where does Jenkins encounter Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does he find out about Widmerpool ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of friendship in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who is Jenkins friends with in his youth? What ups and downs do their relationships encounter over the years? Does he remain close to his friends from school? Who are his friends as an adult?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of the occult in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What does Jenkins think of the games and tricks associated with the occult in "The Acceptance World"? Who is Mrs. Erdleigh and what does she predict? Do her predictions come true? What is a Planchette board? What messages does it give the group?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of "A Dance to the Music of Time", Anthony Powell. What other books has he written? What is his writing style? How was his work received by critics?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)