|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Widmerpool and Jenkins meet in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market", who does Widmerpool bring up as a topic of conversation?
2. Who does Barbara put off dancing with at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
3. Whose home is Jenkins invited to in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
4. What is Deacon bothered by in a club in Chapter 4 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. What does Jenkins note Barbara's horseplay will result in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to Deacon's death?
2. In Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market", why does it seem to Jenkins that Stringham is well acquainted with Milly?
3. Who is Max Pilgrim? Why do he and Deacon argue in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
4. What does Truscott suggest when he meets Widmerpool?
5. In Jenkins' eyes, what makes Eleanor different from the other society girls?
6. When speaking to Widmerpool after the dance, what does Jenkins say he is doing to earn a living? What does Windmerpool think of Jenkins' employment?
7. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
8. Where does Jenkins encounter Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does he find out about Widmerpool ?
9. What does Jenkins attend in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What relieves Jenkins at the event?
10. Who does Jenkins encounter as he is leaving the party in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Kenneth Widmerpool. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What does the reader learn about his background and family life? What is his reputation? How is he treated by others?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of marriage and divorce in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who marries in the novels? Who divorces or separates in the novels? Why? What does Jenkins think of marriage and divorce?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the social conventions illustrated in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some of the social mores and practices that Jenkins observes or adheres to himself? What do these conventions suggest of the characters place in society?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)