|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stringham begin to act at the party in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
2. To whom does Jenkins compare Deacon?
3. What does Jenkins think about Eleanor is Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
4. Why does Widmerpool decline to be introduced to someone by Truscott at the party?
5. What does Widmerpool say about Jenkins' employment?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Jenkins and his acquaintances are having coffee in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market", who comes along with an invitation for them?
2. Who does Jenkins encounter as he is leaving the party in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
3. Why does the topic of conversation turn to Gypsy when Jenkins and Widmerpool meet at the Waldpole-Wilsons' estate?
4. Who is Max Pilgrim? Why do he and Deacon argue in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. What does Jenkins attend in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What relieves Jenkins at the event?
6. In Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market", why does it seem to Jenkins that Stringham is well acquainted with Milly?
7. What happens on the way to the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market" which confuses Jenkins?
8. Who is Ralph Barnby?
9. What does Barnby tell Jenkins about Deacon when they meet?
10. What does Thompsitt ask Jenkins as they leave the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does Jenkins think Thompsitt has realized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of marriage and divorce in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who marries in the novels? Who divorces or separates in the novels? Why? What does Jenkins think of marriage and divorce?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of friendship in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who is Jenkins friends with in his youth? What ups and downs do their relationships encounter over the years? Does he remain close to his friends from school? Who are his friends as an adult?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the social conventions illustrated in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some of the social mores and practices that Jenkins observes or adheres to himself? What do these conventions suggest of the characters place in society?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)