|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Stringham say his wedding will take place?
2. Where did Jenkins' family once encounter Deacon?
3. Why does Widmerpool decline to be introduced to someone by Truscott at the party?
4. What is Ralph's occupation?
5. What does Jenkins think is pressed against him on the way to the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
2. How do Jenkins and Widmerpool react to the news of Barbara's engagement?
3. Who is Ralph Barnby?
4. When does Jenkins realize his feelings for Barbara must be cooling?
5. What does Jenkins attend in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What relieves Jenkins at the event?
6. What does Thompsitt ask Jenkins as they leave the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does Jenkins think Thompsitt has realized?
7. Where does Jenkins encounter Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does he find out about Widmerpool ?
8. In Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market", why does it seem to Jenkins that Stringham is well acquainted with Milly?
9. Why does the topic of conversation turn to Gypsy when Jenkins and Widmerpool meet at the Waldpole-Wilsons' estate?
10. After meeting Barbara Goring, what does Jenkins worry about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social classes illustrated in the novels. What social class is Jenkins a part of? How does this affect his behavior and his attitudes towards others? Who are some characters in the novel who are members of other social classes? How are they treated?
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time"?
Essay Topic 3
The first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time" examines how time changes the relationships in one's life. Discuss how this is true with three of Jenkins' relationships.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)