|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the house Jenkins is at in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
2. Where do the Walpole-Wilsons live?
3. What does Jenkins learn is Widmerpool's first name?
4. What is Deacon bothered by in a club in Chapter 4 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. What is Ralph's surname?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the sugar incident, what does Jenkins realize about Barbara?
2. Where does Jenkins encounter Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does he find out about Widmerpool ?
3. What does Thompsitt ask Jenkins as they leave the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does Jenkins think Thompsitt has realized?
4. When speaking to Widmerpool after the dance, what does Jenkins say he is doing to earn a living? What does Windmerpool think of Jenkins' employment?
5. Why does the topic of conversation turn to Gypsy when Jenkins and Widmerpool meet at the Waldpole-Wilsons' estate?
6. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
7. What does Jenkins attend in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What relieves Jenkins at the event?
8. After meeting Barbara Goring, what does Jenkins worry about?
9. In Jenkins' eyes, what makes Eleanor different from the other society girls?
10. What leads to Deacon's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time" examines how time changes the relationships in one's life. Discuss how this is true with three of Jenkins' relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Powell's inspirations for the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who are some of the real figures whom the characters are based on? What personality traits do they share? What piece of art is the work as a whole inspired from? What themes do they share?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of the occult in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What does Jenkins think of the games and tricks associated with the occult in "The Acceptance World"? Who is Mrs. Erdleigh and what does she predict? Do her predictions come true? What is a Planchette board? What messages does it give the group?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)