Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Widmerpool worried about in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
2. Who owns the building Ralph lives in?
3. What is the title of the flyers Deacon and Gypsy distribute?
4. What does Jenkins note Barbara's horseplay will result in?
5. What does Deacon ask Jenkins about when they meet on the street in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
Discuss the setting of the novel. How important is the setting to novel? What if the novel had been set in a different place and time? In your opinion, would the choices and attitudes of the main characters be different? If so, how?
Discuss the social conventions illustrated in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some of the social mores and practices that Jenkins observes or adheres to himself? What do these conventions suggest of the characters place in society?
Powell tells Jenkins story from Jenkins' perspective, and as such, the reader is only privy to as much as Jenkins is. Thus, there is a significant amount of ambiguity in the novel. What are some examples of ambiguity? How does Jenkins try to interpret these ambiguous moments or characters?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)