|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giles ask Jenkins to do in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. What is Jenkins' relation to Giles?
3. What is particularly unique about one of Widmerpool's articles of clothing?
4. What position is Bill Truscot looking for a man to fill for Sir Magnus Donner?
5. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opportunity presents itself to Stringham at one of Sillers' afternoon tea events?
2. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
3. What is Widmerpool doing when he and Jenkins first meet?
4. Who is Sillers?
5. Who is Sunderland "Sunny" Farebrother?
6. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
7. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
8. What does Templer admit when he returns late to the boarding house from London?
9. Explain the incident involving the wanted poster.
10. How does Widmerpool react to Jenkins' confession about Le Bas' arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of "A Dance to the Music of Time", Anthony Powell. What other books has he written? What is his writing style? How was his work received by critics?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. How important is the setting to novel? What if the novel had been set in a different place and time? In your opinion, would the choices and attitudes of the main characters be different? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
There are many secondary characters in Powell's work. Analyze and interpret at least five of the secondary characters of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". How important are they to the protagonist and the plot? What are their defining character traits?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)