|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sillers warn the boys to be sensitive about in regard to Quiggin?
2. What happens when the boys go joyriding in the countryside?
3. In Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing" where is Templer late in returning from?
4. Why is Widmerpool at La Grenadiere?
5. What do Stringham and Jenkins borrow to prepare a meal in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opportunity presents itself to Stringham at one of Sillers' afternoon tea events?
2. Explain the incident involving the wanted poster.
3. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
4. Who is Sillers?
5. Why is Jenkins annoyed by Giles in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
6. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
7. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
8. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
9. Who is Sunderland "Sunny" Farebrother?
10. What is Widmerpool doing when he and Jenkins first meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of friendship in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who is Jenkins friends with in his youth? What ups and downs do their relationships encounter over the years? Does he remain close to his friends from school? Who are his friends as an adult?
Essay Topic 2
There are many secondary characters in Powell's work. Analyze and interpret at least five of the secondary characters of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". How important are they to the protagonist and the plot? What are their defining character traits?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Powell's inspirations for the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who are some of the real figures whom the characters are based on? What personality traits do they share? What piece of art is the work as a whole inspired from? What themes do they share?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)