|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Templer say he was which caused him to be late in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. What does Sillers warn the boys to be sensitive about in regard to Quiggin?
3. What do the boys see one day as they walk past the police station?
4. What do Stringham and Jenkins borrow to prepare a meal in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
5. What position is Bill Truscot looking for a man to fill for Sir Magnus Donner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Widmerpool react to Jenkins' confession about Le Bas' arrest?
2. What does Templer admit when he returns late to the boarding house from London?
3. Why is Jenkins annoyed by Giles in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
5. Where does Jenkins travel to in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"? Who does he find is also there?
6. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
7. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
8. How does Jenkins describe Widmerpool?
9. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
10. What opportunity presents itself to Stringham at one of Sillers' afternoon tea events?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Powell's use of humor in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". How does he illustrate the lives of the English upper-class in a humorous light? Who are some of the comedic characters in the novels? What are some of the comedic situations in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Powell tells Jenkins story from Jenkins' perspective, and as such, the reader is only privy to as much as Jenkins is. Thus, there is a significant amount of ambiguity in the novel. What are some examples of ambiguity? How does Jenkins try to interpret these ambiguous moments or characters?
Essay Topic 3
There are many secondary characters in Powell's work. Analyze and interpret at least five of the secondary characters of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". How important are they to the protagonist and the plot? What are their defining character traits?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)