|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories?
2. Where does Stringham plan to visit his father at Christmas?
3. Who is Jenkins' hostess at La Grenadiere?
4. Why is Widmerpool at La Grenadiere?
5. How does Jenkins describe Templer's personality?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
2. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
3. Explain the incident involving the wanted poster.
4. Where does Jenkins travel to in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"? Who does he find is also there?
5. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
6. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
7. What opportunity presents itself to Stringham at one of Sillers' afternoon tea events?
8. What does Templer admit when he returns late to the boarding house from London?
9. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
10. Why is Jenkins annoyed by Giles in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of coincidences in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some examples of coincidences? Why might Powell include so many coincidences? How are coincidences used as a plot device in the three novels?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of "A Dance to the Music of Time", Anthony Powell. What other books has he written? What is his writing style? How was his work received by critics?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of friendship in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who is Jenkins friends with in his youth? What ups and downs do their relationships encounter over the years? Does he remain close to his friends from school? Who are his friends as an adult?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)