|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Templer leave his evening with Jenkins early in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. Why is Widmerpool at La Grenadiere?
3. What position is Bill Truscot looking for a man to fill for Sir Magnus Donner?
4. Where does Jenkins head in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
5. Why do the boys decide to return to their dormitory house quickly in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Jenkins travel to in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"? Who does he find is also there?
2. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
3. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
4. What does Templer admit when he returns late to the boarding house from London?
5. Why is Jenkins annoyed by Giles in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
6. What is Widmerpool doing when he and Jenkins first meet?
7. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
8. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
9. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
10. Who is Sillers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many secondary characters in Powell's work. Analyze and interpret at least five of the secondary characters of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". How important are they to the protagonist and the plot? What are their defining character traits?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Jenkins. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What are his goals and motives? In what tone does he tell his story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the social conventions illustrated in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some of the social mores and practices that Jenkins observes or adheres to himself? What do these conventions suggest of the characters place in society?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)