|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jenkins think is a part of Farebrother's persona?
2. What do the boys see one day as they walk past the police station?
3. Why do the boys decide to return to their dormitory house quickly in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. Where does Widmerpool say Templer's family gets their fortune from?
5. What does Farebrother question Jenkins about on the train in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sunderland "Sunny" Farebrother?
2. Who is Sillers?
3. Explain the incident involving the wanted poster.
4. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
5. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
6. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
7. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
8. How does Jenkins describe Widmerpool?
9. What does Templer admit when he returns late to the boarding house from London?
10. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Kenneth Widmerpool. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What does the reader learn about his background and family life? What is his reputation? How is he treated by others?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Jenkins and Jean. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationship? Are they well-suited for one another? Why or why not? What keeps them apart throughout the novel? What do they feel about adultery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of coincidences in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some examples of coincidences? Why might Powell include so many coincidences? How are coincidences used as a plot device in the three novels?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)