|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jenkins head in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories?
3. When Jenkins joins Stringham for dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing", what crisis does Stringham refer to?
4. What does Farebrother question Jenkins about on the train in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
5. Where is Stringham's mother from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Truscott suggest when he meets Widmerpool?
2. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
3. What does Jenkins attend in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What relieves Jenkins at the event?
4. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
5. After meeting Barbara Goring, what does Jenkins worry about?
6. As Jenkins and his acquaintances are having coffee in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market", who comes along with an invitation for them?
7. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
8. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
9. Who is Sunderland "Sunny" Farebrother?
10. In Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market", why does it seem to Jenkins that Stringham is well acquainted with Milly?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How important is the setting to novel? What if the novel had been set in a different place and time? In your opinion, would the choices and attitudes of the main characters be different? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of coincidences in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some examples of coincidences? Why might Powell include so many coincidences? How are coincidences used as a plot device in the three novels?
Essay Topic 3
What is the genre of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time"?
This section contains 1,615 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)