|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets picked up by the police in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. What role does Sillers serve at the school?
3. About how old does Jenkins say Giles is in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. Why does Le Bas say he goes into the countryside?
5. Why does Templer leave his evening with Jenkins early in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
2. Why is Jenkins annoyed by Giles in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
3. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
4. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
5. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
6. Explain the incident involving the wanted poster.
7. What is Widmerpool doing when he and Jenkins first meet?
8. Who is Sunderland "Sunny" Farebrother?
9. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
10. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many secondary characters in Powell's work. Analyze and interpret at least five of the secondary characters of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". How important are they to the protagonist and the plot? What are their defining character traits?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Jenkins. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What are his goals and motives? In what tone does he tell his story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the social conventions illustrated in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some of the social mores and practices that Jenkins observes or adheres to himself? What do these conventions suggest of the characters place in society?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)