|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sillers warn the boys to be sensitive about in regard to Quiggin?
2. What does Jenkins think of Stringham's unmarried sister?
3. Where does Jenkins head in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. What is Templer's first name?
5. What position is Bill Truscot looking for a man to fill for Sir Magnus Donner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sunderland "Sunny" Farebrother?
2. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
3. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
4. How does Widmerpool react to Jenkins' confession about Le Bas' arrest?
5. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
6. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
7. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
8. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
9. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
10. Explain the incident involving the wanted poster.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Jenkins and Jean. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationship? Are they well-suited for one another? Why or why not? What keeps them apart throughout the novel? What do they feel about adultery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of marriage and divorce in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who marries in the novels? Who divorces or separates in the novels? Why? What does Jenkins think of marriage and divorce?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. How important is the setting to novel? What if the novel had been set in a different place and time? In your opinion, would the choices and attitudes of the main characters be different? If so, how?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)