|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Templer's first name?
2. What does Giles ask Jenkins to do in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
3. Where is Stringham's mother from?
4. Which author do Le Bas and the boys discuss while in the countryside?
5. What do the boys see one day as they walk past the police station?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
3. Who is Sunderland "Sunny" Farebrother?
4. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
5. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
6. What opportunity presents itself to Stringham at one of Sillers' afternoon tea events?
7. Where does Jenkins travel to in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"? Who does he find is also there?
8. What is Widmerpool doing when he and Jenkins first meet?
9. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
10. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many secondary characters in Powell's work. Analyze and interpret at least five of the secondary characters of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". How important are they to the protagonist and the plot? What are their defining character traits?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jenkins' growth as a character. How does he grow throughout the novels? How was he able to do this? How does it change his relationships with others?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the social conventions illustrated in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some of the social mores and practices that Jenkins observes or adheres to himself? What do these conventions suggest of the characters place in society?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)