|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves the school a short time after an arrest is made?
2. With which of his schoolmates does Jenkins say he has most in common?
3. Why does Templer leave his evening with Jenkins early in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. Where does Templer say he was which caused him to be late in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
5. What is Templer's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Jenkins travel to in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"? Who does he find is also there?
2. Explain the incident involving the wanted poster.
3. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
4. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
5. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
6. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
7. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
8. How does Jenkins describe Widmerpool?
9. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
10. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the genre of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time"?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Kenneth Widmerpool. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What does the reader learn about his background and family life? What is his reputation? How is he treated by others?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Jenkins. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What are his goals and motives? In what tone does he tell his story?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)