|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jenkins identify the girl he likes at La Grenadiere by?
2. What does Giles ask Jenkins to do in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
3. With which of his schoolmates does Jenkins say he has most in common?
4. What article of Widmerpool's clothing do fellow students note is unique?
5. How does Jenkins describe Templer's personality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Widmerpool doing when he and Jenkins first meet?
2. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
3. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. Explain the incident involving the wanted poster.
5. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
6. Why is Jenkins annoyed by Giles in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
7. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
8. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
9. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
10. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of coincidences in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some examples of coincidences? Why might Powell include so many coincidences? How are coincidences used as a plot device in the three novels?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of friendship in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who is Jenkins friends with in his youth? What ups and downs do their relationships encounter over the years? Does he remain close to his friends from school? Who are his friends as an adult?
Essay Topic 3
The first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time" examines how time changes the relationships in one's life. Discuss how this is true with three of Jenkins' relationships.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)