Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sillers warn the boys to be sensitive about in regard to Quiggin?
2. Who is Jenkins' hostess at La Grenadiere?
3. What does Jenkins think of Stringham's unmarried sister?
4. With which of his schoolmates does Jenkins say he has most in common?
5. Why do the boys decide to return to their dormitory house quickly in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Myra Erdleigh seem to want to do when she encounters Giles and Jenkins. What service does Giles ask her to provide?
2. What game does the party at Templer's home play to pass the time while the weather is bad in Chapter 3 of "An Acceptance World"?
3. As Jenkins and his acquaintances are having coffee in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market", who comes along with an invitation for them?
4. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
5. What happens on the way to the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market" which confuses Jenkins?
6. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
7. What does the title of this section "An Acceptance World" refer to?
8. In Chapter 4 of "An Acceptable World", what do Jean and Jenkins talk about in relation to their early meetings, and what does Jenkins note about Jean as a mother?
9. In Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market", why does it seem to Jenkins that Stringham is well acquainted with Milly?
10. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
Discuss the setting of the novel. How important is the setting to novel? What if the novel had been set in a different place and time? In your opinion, would the choices and attitudes of the main characters be different? If so, how?
What is the genre of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time"?
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What happens at the end of the third novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Powell have chosen to end each of the three novels when he did?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)