|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jenkins plan in order to impress a girl at La Grenadiere?
2. What does Jenkins note about Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
3. Why does Templer leave his evening with Jenkins early in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. Where does Templer say he was which caused him to be late in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
5. Who does Parkinson commend in the meeting he calls in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
2. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
3. What opportunity presents itself to Stringham at one of Sillers' afternoon tea events?
4. Explain the incident involving the wanted poster.
5. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
6. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
7. How does Widmerpool react to Jenkins' confession about Le Bas' arrest?
8. Where does Jenkins travel to in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"? Who does he find is also there?
9. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
10. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social classes illustrated in the novels. What social class is Jenkins a part of? How does this affect his behavior and his attitudes towards others? Who are some characters in the novel who are members of other social classes? How are they treated?
Essay Topic 2
The first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time" examines how time changes the relationships in one's life. Discuss how this is true with three of Jenkins' relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who is jealous of whom and why? Does this jealousy affect the behavior of the jealous? Do they have reason to be jealous?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)