|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giles ask Jenkins to do in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. Why is Farebrother at Stringham's home?
3. Who is Le Bas?
4. Who is Parkinson?
5. What does Jenkins note about Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
2. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
3. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. Who is Sunderland "Sunny" Farebrother?
5. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
6. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
7. What opportunity presents itself to Stringham at one of Sillers' afternoon tea events?
8. What does Templer admit when he returns late to the boarding house from London?
9. Explain the incident involving the wanted poster.
10. Where does Jenkins travel to in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"? Who does he find is also there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jenkins' growth as a character. How does he grow throughout the novels? How was he able to do this? How does it change his relationships with others?
Essay Topic 2
Powell tells Jenkins story from Jenkins' perspective, and as such, the reader is only privy to as much as Jenkins is. Thus, there is a significant amount of ambiguity in the novel. What are some examples of ambiguity? How does Jenkins try to interpret these ambiguous moments or characters?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What happens at the end of the third novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Powell have chosen to end each of the three novels when he did?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)