|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sillers warn the boys to be sensitive about in regard to Quiggin?
2. What does Jenkins note about Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
3. Where is Stringham's mother from?
4. About how old does Jenkins say Giles is in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
5. After leaving Le Bas in the countryside, where does Stringham ask that the boys stop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
2. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
3. Who is Sunderland "Sunny" Farebrother?
4. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
5. What does Templer admit when he returns late to the boarding house from London?
6. What is Widmerpool doing when he and Jenkins first meet?
7. Where does Jenkins travel to in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"? Who does he find is also there?
8. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
9. Who is Sillers?
10. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jenkins' growth as a character. How does he grow throughout the novels? How was he able to do this? How does it change his relationships with others?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of marriage and divorce in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who marries in the novels? Who divorces or separates in the novels? Why? What does Jenkins think of marriage and divorce?
Essay Topic 3
The first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time" examines how time changes the relationships in one's life. Discuss how this is true with three of Jenkins' relationships.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)