|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farebrother question Jenkins about on the train in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. What delays Stringham's return to school in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
3. Where does Widmerpool say Templer's family gets their fortune from?
4. Who is Parkinson?
5. In Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing" where is Templer late in returning from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
2. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
3. How does Jenkins describe Widmerpool?
4. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
5. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
6. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
7. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
8. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
9. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
10. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social classes illustrated in the novels. What social class is Jenkins a part of? How does this affect his behavior and his attitudes towards others? Who are some characters in the novel who are members of other social classes? How are they treated?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of marriage and divorce in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who marries in the novels? Who divorces or separates in the novels? Why? What does Jenkins think of marriage and divorce?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Kenneth Widmerpool. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What does the reader learn about his background and family life? What is his reputation? How is he treated by others?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)