|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giles ask Jenkins to do in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. What is Templer's first name?
3. What do Stringham and Jenkins borrow to prepare a meal in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. In Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing" where is Templer late in returning from?
5. What does Farebrother question Jenkins about one evening in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the title of this section "An Acceptance World" refer to?
2. What does Barnby tell Jenkins about Deacon when they meet?
3. Who is Ralph Barnby?
4. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. What news do Templer and Jenkins share regarding marriages in Chapter 2 of "An Acceptance World"?
6. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
7. As Jenkins and his acquaintances are having coffee in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market", who comes along with an invitation for them?
8. What does Members tell Jenkins about Quiggin in regards to Clarke in Chapter 4 of "An Acceptance World"?
9. What does Jenkins attend in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What relieves Jenkins at the event?
10. In Jenkins' eyes, what makes Eleanor different from the other society girls?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Powell's use of humor in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". How does he illustrate the lives of the English upper-class in a humorous light? Who are some of the comedic characters in the novels? What are some of the comedic situations in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What happens at the end of the third novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Powell have chosen to end each of the three novels when he did?
Essay Topic 3
The first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time" examines how time changes the relationships in one's life. Discuss how this is true with three of Jenkins' relationships.
This section contains 1,613 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)