|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farebrother question Jenkins about one evening in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. What do the boys see one day as they walk past the police station?
3. In Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing" where is Templer late in returning from?
4. What does Jenkins identify the girl he likes at La Grenadiere by?
5. When Jenkins joins Stringham for dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing", what crisis does Stringham refer to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opportunity presents itself to Stringham at one of Sillers' afternoon tea events?
2. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
3. What does Templer admit when he returns late to the boarding house from London?
4. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
5. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
6. How does Jenkins describe Widmerpool?
7. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
8. Where does Jenkins travel to in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"? Who does he find is also there?
9. Who is Sillers?
10. How does Widmerpool react to Jenkins' confession about Le Bas' arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time" examines how time changes the relationships in one's life. Discuss how this is true with three of Jenkins' relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of "A Dance to the Music of Time", Anthony Powell. What other books has he written? What is his writing style? How was his work received by critics?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who is jealous of whom and why? Does this jealousy affect the behavior of the jealous? Do they have reason to be jealous?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)