|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Stringham and Jenkins borrow to prepare a meal in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. What state is Jenkins in when he arrives at La Grenadiere?
3. What is particularly unique about one of Widmerpool's articles of clothing?
4. Who leaves the school a short time after an arrest is made?
5. After leaving Le Bas in the countryside, where does Stringham ask that the boys stop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jenkins annoyed by Giles in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. What opportunity presents itself to Stringham at one of Sillers' afternoon tea events?
3. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
4. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
5. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
6. Explain the incident involving the wanted poster.
7. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
8. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
9. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
10. Where does Jenkins travel to in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"? Who does he find is also there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Kenneth Widmerpool. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What does the reader learn about his background and family life? What is his reputation? How is he treated by others?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of marriage and divorce in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who marries in the novels? Who divorces or separates in the novels? Why? What does Jenkins think of marriage and divorce?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the social conventions illustrated in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some of the social mores and practices that Jenkins observes or adheres to himself? What do these conventions suggest of the characters place in society?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)