|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is La Grenadiere?
2. Who does Parkinson commend in the meeting he calls in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
3. What food do Stringham and Jenkins prepare for dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. What does Giles ask Jenkins to do in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
5. Who gets picked up by the police in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
2. What does Jenkins comment about Quiggin's career progress in Chapter 2 of "An Acceptance World"?
3. What does Truscott suggest when he meets Widmerpool?
4. After the sugar incident, what does Jenkins realize about Barbara?
5. What story about a girl does Jenkins recall Barnby told him in Chapter 3 of "An Acceptance World"?
6. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
7. How does Widmerpool react to Jenkins' confession about Le Bas' arrest?
8. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
9. What opportunity presents itself to Stringham at one of Sillers' afternoon tea events?
10. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of "A Dance to the Music of Time", Anthony Powell. What other books has he written? What is his writing style? How was his work received by critics?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of marriage and divorce in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who marries in the novels? Who divorces or separates in the novels? Why? What does Jenkins think of marriage and divorce?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Jenkins and Jean. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationship? Are they well-suited for one another? Why or why not? What keeps them apart throughout the novel? What do they feel about adultery?
This section contains 1,682 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)