|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jenkins think of Stringham's unmarried sister?
2. What does Jenkins identify the girl he likes at La Grenadiere by?
3. What memories does Jenkins think over at the beginning to "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. What is Jenkins' relation to Giles?
5. What did Giles and Jenkins' father have a falling out over?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Jenkins travel to in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"? Who does he find is also there?
2. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
3. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
4. What does Templer admit when he returns late to the boarding house from London?
5. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
6. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
7. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
8. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
9. Who is Sillers?
10. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Powell's use of humor in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". How does he illustrate the lives of the English upper-class in a humorous light? Who are some of the comedic characters in the novels? What are some of the comedic situations in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Powell's inspirations for the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who are some of the real figures whom the characters are based on? What personality traits do they share? What piece of art is the work as a whole inspired from? What themes do they share?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of marriage and divorce in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who marries in the novels? Who divorces or separates in the novels? Why? What does Jenkins think of marriage and divorce?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)