|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Sillers serve at the school?
2. What do the boys see one day as they walk past the police station?
3. What does Sillers warn the boys to be sensitive about in regard to Quiggin?
4. Where does Stringham plan to visit his father at Christmas?
5. Where does Jenkins head in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jenkins annoyed by Giles in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
3. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
4. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
5. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
6. Who is Sunderland "Sunny" Farebrother?
7. What is Widmerpool doing when he and Jenkins first meet?
8. How does Widmerpool react to Jenkins' confession about Le Bas' arrest?
9. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
10. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who is jealous of whom and why? Does this jealousy affect the behavior of the jealous? Do they have reason to be jealous?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of coincidences in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some examples of coincidences? Why might Powell include so many coincidences? How are coincidences used as a plot device in the three novels?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of the occult in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What does Jenkins think of the games and tricks associated with the occult in "The Acceptance World"? Who is Mrs. Erdleigh and what does she predict? Do her predictions come true? What is a Planchette board? What messages does it give the group?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)