|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stringham plan to visit his father at Christmas?
2. What does Sillers warn the boys to be sensitive about in regard to Quiggin?
3. What delays Stringham's return to school in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. What does Jenkins identify the girl he likes at La Grenadiere by?
5. After leaving Le Bas in the countryside, where does Stringham ask that the boys stop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sillers?
2. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
3. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
4. Explain the incident involving the wanted poster.
5. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
6. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
7. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
8. What does Templer admit when he returns late to the boarding house from London?
9. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
10. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social classes illustrated in the novels. What social class is Jenkins a part of? How does this affect his behavior and his attitudes towards others? Who are some characters in the novel who are members of other social classes? How are they treated?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of "A Dance to the Music of Time", Anthony Powell. What other books has he written? What is his writing style? How was his work received by critics?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jenkins' growth as a character. How does he grow throughout the novels? How was he able to do this? How does it change his relationships with others?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)