|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Giles and Jenkins' father have a falling out over?
2. What article of Widmerpool's clothing do fellow students note is unique?
3. Who gets picked up by the police in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. Why does Le Bas say he goes into the countryside?
5. What is La Grenadiere?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
2. What is Widmerpool doing when he and Jenkins first meet?
3. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
4. What does Templer admit when he returns late to the boarding house from London?
5. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
6. Where does Jenkins travel to in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"? Who does he find is also there?
7. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
8. Explain the incident involving the wanted poster.
9. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
10. Who is Sunderland "Sunny" Farebrother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Powell's inspirations for the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who are some of the real figures whom the characters are based on? What personality traits do they share? What piece of art is the work as a whole inspired from? What themes do they share?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social conventions illustrated in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some of the social mores and practices that Jenkins observes or adheres to himself? What do these conventions suggest of the characters place in society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jenkins' growth as a character. How does he grow throughout the novels? How was he able to do this? How does it change his relationships with others?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)