|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state is Jenkins in when he arrives at La Grenadiere?
2. What is the name of Stringham's step-father?
3. In Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing" where is Templer late in returning from?
4. What memories does Jenkins think over at the beginning to "A Question of Upbringing"?
5. What does Le Bas ask the boys to identify when they find him in the countryside?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jenkins annoyed by Giles in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
3. How does Jenkins describe Widmerpool?
4. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
5. What is Widmerpool doing when he and Jenkins first meet?
6. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
7. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
8. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
9. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
10. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of friendship in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who is Jenkins friends with in his youth? What ups and downs do their relationships encounter over the years? Does he remain close to his friends from school? Who are his friends as an adult?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Powell's inspirations for the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who are some of the real figures whom the characters are based on? What personality traits do they share? What piece of art is the work as a whole inspired from? What themes do they share?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of "A Dance to the Music of Time", Anthony Powell. What other books has he written? What is his writing style? How was his work received by critics?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)