|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Templer leave his evening with Jenkins early in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. At school, what does Sillers often organize in the afternoon?
3. What does Jenkins plan in order to impress a girl at La Grenadiere?
4. Which author do Le Bas and the boys discuss while in the countryside?
5. Where does Jenkins head in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Templer admit when he returns late to the boarding house from London?
2. How does Widmerpool react to Jenkins' confession about Le Bas' arrest?
3. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. Why is Jenkins annoyed by Giles in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
5. How does Jenkins describe Widmerpool?
6. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
7. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
8. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
9. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
10. What is Widmerpool doing when he and Jenkins first meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of coincidences in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What are some examples of coincidences? Why might Powell include so many coincidences? How are coincidences used as a plot device in the three novels?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret Powell's use of humor in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". How does he illustrate the lives of the English upper-class in a humorous light? Who are some of the comedic characters in the novels? What are some of the comedic situations in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What happens at the end of the third novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Powell have chosen to end each of the three novels when he did?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)