|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Stringham's mother from?
2. What happens when the boys go joyriding in the countryside?
3. Why does Le Bas say he goes into the countryside?
4. In Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing" where is Templer late in returning from?
5. With which of his schoolmates does Jenkins say he has most in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
2. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
3. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
4. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
5. Who is Sunderland "Sunny" Farebrother?
6. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
7. Where does Jenkins travel to in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"? Who does he find is also there?
8. Who is Sillers?
9. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
10. Explain the incident involving the wanted poster.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What happens at the end of the third novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Powell have chosen to end each of the three novels when he did?
Essay Topic 2
The first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time" examines how time changes the relationships in one's life. Discuss how this is true with three of Jenkins' relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Powell tells Jenkins story from Jenkins' perspective, and as such, the reader is only privy to as much as Jenkins is. Thus, there is a significant amount of ambiguity in the novel. What are some examples of ambiguity? How does Jenkins try to interpret these ambiguous moments or characters?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)