|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets picked up by the police in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. Why does Le Bas say he goes into the countryside?
3. What is Widmerpool doing when Jenkins first encounters him in "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. What field does Widmerpool intend to pursue an occupation in?
5. What does Giles ask Jenkins to do in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sillers?
2. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
3. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
4. What does Templer admit when he returns late to the boarding house from London?
5. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
6. What opportunity presents itself to Stringham at one of Sillers' afternoon tea events?
7. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
8. Explain the incident involving the wanted poster.
9. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
10. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". What happens at the end of the third novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Powell have chosen to end each of the three novels when he did?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Jenkins. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What are his goals and motives? In what tone does he tell his story?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Jenkins and Jean. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationship? Are they well-suited for one another? Why or why not? What keeps them apart throughout the novel? What do they feel about adultery?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)