|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state is Jenkins in when he arrives at La Grenadiere?
2. Where does Jenkins head in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
3. What field does Widmerpool intend to pursue an occupation in?
4. How does Jenkins describe Stringham's mother?
5. What position is Bill Truscot looking for a man to fill for Sir Magnus Donner?
Short Essay Questions
1. While waiting to meet Members in Chapter 2 of "An Acceptance World", who does Jenkins run into and join for dinner?
2. Why does the topic of conversation turn to Gypsy when Jenkins and Widmerpool meet at the Waldpole-Wilsons' estate?
3. What leads to Deacon's death?
4. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
5. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
6. What does Jenkins find out about Eleanor when he runs into her father in Chapter 4 of "An Acceptance World"? What does he find out from Sillers?
7. What game does the party at Templer's home play to pass the time while the weather is bad in Chapter 3 of "An Acceptance World"?
8. What does Myra Erdleigh seem to want to do when she encounters Giles and Jenkins. What service does Giles ask her to provide?
9. What does the title of this section "An Acceptance World" refer to?
10. In Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market", why does it seem to Jenkins that Stringham is well acquainted with Milly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Jenkins and Jean. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationship? Are they well-suited for one another? Why or why not? What keeps them apart throughout the novel? What do they feel about adultery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who is jealous of whom and why? Does this jealousy affect the behavior of the jealous? Do they have reason to be jealous?
Essay Topic 3
The first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time" examines how time changes the relationships in one's life. Discuss how this is true with three of Jenkins' relationships.
This section contains 1,692 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)