|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jenkins plan in order to impress a girl at La Grenadiere?
2. What is La Grenadiere?
3. What is Templer's first name?
4. What food do Stringham and Jenkins prepare for dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
5. Why is Widmerpool at La Grenadiere?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sillers?
2. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
3. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
4. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
5. How does Jenkins describe Widmerpool?
6. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
7. Why is Jenkins annoyed by Giles in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
8. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
9. What does Templer admit when he returns late to the boarding house from London?
10. Who is Sunderland "Sunny" Farebrother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social classes illustrated in the novels. What social class is Jenkins a part of? How does this affect his behavior and his attitudes towards others? Who are some characters in the novel who are members of other social classes? How are they treated?
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time"?
Essay Topic 3
There are many secondary characters in Powell's work. Analyze and interpret at least five of the secondary characters of the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". How important are they to the protagonist and the plot? What are their defining character traits?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)