|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how old does Jenkins say Giles is in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) About fifty.
(b) About seventy.
(c) About forty.
(d) About sixty.
2. What article of Widmerpool's clothing do fellow students note is unique?
(a) His shorts.
(b) His coat.
(c) His hat.
(d) His scarf.
3. With which of his schoolmates does Jenkins say he has most in common?
(b) Le Bas.
4. Why is Widmerpool at La Grenadiere?
(a) His whole family is there.
(b) To perfect his French.
(c) To visit a girl he likes.
(d) To make professional connections.
5. At school, what does Sillers often organize in the afternoon?
(a) Tea service.
(b) Billiards tournaments.
(c) Card games.
(d) Study groups.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which author do Le Bas and the boys discuss while in the countryside?
2. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories?
3. Why is Farebrother at Stringham's home?
4. What happens when the boys go joyriding in the countryside?
5. What does Farebrother question Jenkins about on the train in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
2. Who is Sillers?
3. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
4. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
5. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
6. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
7. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
8. How does Jenkins describe Widmerpool?
9. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
10. What opportunity presents itself to Stringham at one of Sillers' afternoon tea events?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)