|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how old does Jenkins say Giles is in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) About seventy.
(b) About forty.
(c) About sixty.
(d) About fifty.
2. What is Widmerpool doing when Jenkins first encounters him in "A Question of Upbringing"?
3. What is Sunderland Farebrother's nickname?
4. What is particularly unique about one of Widmerpool's articles of clothing?
(a) It has a large hole in it.
(b) It is too small for him.
(c) It it a very bright color.
(d) It looks out of date.
5. Where does Jenkins head in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Le Bas?
2. What is Jenkins looking at at the beginning of the novel?
3. Who does Parkinson commend in the meeting he calls in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. Who is Parkinson?
5. Why do the boys decide to return to their dormitory house quickly in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Widmerpool doing when he and Jenkins first meet?
2. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
3. How does Jenkins describe Widmerpool?
4. What opportunity presents itself to Stringham at one of Sillers' afternoon tea events?
5. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
6. Explain the incident involving the wanted poster.
7. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
8. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
9. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
10. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)