|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Stringham and Jenkins borrow to prepare a meal in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) A hot plate.
(b) A can opener.
(c) A measuring cup.
(d) A pan.
2. Why do the boys decide to return to their dormitory house quickly in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) To play a trick on Windmerpool.
(b) To have dinner.
(c) To hide their purchases.
(d) To provide themselves with alibis.
3. What does Giles do while visiting the dormitory which could get Jenkins in trouble?
(a) Plays loud music.
(b) Rearranges the furniture.
(c) Lights a cigarette.
(d) Brings in alcohol.
4. What is Jenkins looking at at the beginning of the novel?
(a) The sunset.
(b) A fire.
(c) A photo album.
(d) A painting.
5. Who leaves the school a short time after an arrest is made?
(d) Le Bas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Parkinson?
2. What state is Jenkins in when he arrives at La Grenadiere?
3. Why does Le Bas say he goes into the countryside?
4. What does Le Bas ask the boys to identify when they find him in the countryside?
5. What does Jenkins identify the girl he likes at La Grenadiere by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Widmerpool doing when he and Jenkins first meet?
2. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
3. How does Widmerpool react to Jenkins' confession about Le Bas' arrest?
4. Where does Jenkins travel to in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"? Who does he find is also there?
5. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
6. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
7. Who is Sillers?
8. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
9. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
10. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)