|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the boys decide to return to their dormitory house quickly in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) To hide their purchases.
(b) To provide themselves with alibis.
(c) To have dinner.
(d) To play a trick on Windmerpool.
2. What is Jenkins looking at at the beginning of the novel?
(a) A photo album.
(b) A painting.
(c) The sunset.
(d) A fire.
3. What does Jenkins note about Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Widmerpool is the big man on campus.
(b) Widmerpool acts before he thinks.
(c) Widmerpool is often alone.
(d) Widmerpool comes from a working class family.
4. Where does Widmerpool say Templer's family gets their fortune from?
5. When Jenkins joins Stringham for dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing", what crisis does Stringham refer to?
(a) A meat crisis.
(b) A bread crisis.
(c) A jam crisis.
(d) A potato crisis.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how old does Jenkins say Giles is in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. What food do Stringham and Jenkins prepare for dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
3. How does Jenkins describe Templer's personality?
4. What role does Sillers serve at the school?
5. Who is Jenkins' hostess at La Grenadiere?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jenkins ask his uncle Giles to put out his cigarette?
2. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
3. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
4. What happens in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing" when the boys go riding in the country?
5. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
6. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
7. Who is Sunderland "Sunny" Farebrother?
8. Why is Jenkins annoyed by Giles in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
9. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
10. What is Widmerpool doing when he and Jenkins first meet?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)