|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jenkins looking at at the beginning of the novel?
(a) A painting.
(b) A fire.
(c) The sunset.
(d) A photo album.
2. What food do Stringham and Jenkins prepare for dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Chicken pot pie.
3. Who is offered the position with Sir Magnus Donner?
4. What does Jenkins note about Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Widmerpool is the big man on campus.
(b) Widmerpool acts before he thinks.
(c) Widmerpool is often alone.
(d) Widmerpool comes from a working class family.
5. About how old does Jenkins say Giles is in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) About fifty.
(b) About sixty.
(c) About forty.
(d) About seventy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stringham plan to visit his father at Christmas?
2. What is Jenkins' relation to Giles?
3. Who does Parkinson commend in the meeting he calls in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. When Jenkins joins Stringham for dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing", what crisis does Stringham refer to?
5. How does Jenkins describe Stringham's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
2. What caused the rift between Jenkins' father and his brother, Giles?
3. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
4. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
5. Why is Jenkins annoyed by Giles in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
6. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
7. How does Widmerpool react to Jenkins' confession about Le Bas' arrest?
8. What does Templer admit when he returns late to the boarding house from London?
9. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
10. Who is Sunderland "Sunny" Farebrother?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)