|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jenkins looking at at the beginning of the novel?
(a) A fire.
(b) A painting.
(c) A photo album.
(d) The sunset.
2. What article of Widmerpool's clothing do fellow students note is unique?
(a) His hat.
(b) His shorts.
(c) His coat.
(d) His scarf.
3. Why does Templer leave his evening with Jenkins early in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) He has to meet his mother's train.
(b) He is feeling ill.
(c) He sees a girl he likes.
(d) He has been invited to a party.
4. Who gets picked up by the police in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(b) Le Bas.
5. What does Jenkins identify the girl he likes at La Grenadiere by?
(a) Her sun hat.
(b) Her laugh.
(c) Her red hair.
(d) Her shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stringham's unmarried sister named?
2. How does Jenkins describe Templer's personality?
3. When Jenkins joins Stringham for dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing", what crisis does Stringham refer to?
4. What does Giles ask Jenkins to do in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
5. What did Giles and Jenkins' father have a falling out over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. Where does Jenkins travel to in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"? Who does he find is also there?
3. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
4. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
5. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
6. What opportunity presents itself to Stringham at one of Sillers' afternoon tea events?
7. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
8. What does Templer admit when he returns late to the boarding house from London?
9. Who is Sunderland "Sunny" Farebrother?
10. What do the students mean when they refer to items of clothing as a "Widmerpool"?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)