|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sillers warn the boys to be sensitive about in regard to Quiggin?
(a) His financial situation.
(b) His weight.
(c) His failing grades.
(d) His father's recent death.
2. Who is Jenkins' hostess at La Grenadiere?
(a) Madame Leroy.
(b) Madame Leroux.
(c) Madame Lapierre.
(d) Madame Lapage.
3. What does Jenkins think of Stringham's unmarried sister?
(a) He is attracted to her.
(b) He is intimidated by her.
(c) He is bored by her.
(d) He is irritated by her.
4. With which of his schoolmates does Jenkins say he has most in common?
(b) Le Bas.
5. Why do the boys decide to return to their dormitory house quickly in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) To hide their purchases.
(b) To provide themselves with alibis.
(c) To have dinner.
(d) To play a trick on Windmerpool.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Widmerpool say Templer's family gets their fortune from?
2. What happens when the boys go joyriding in the countryside?
3. What delays Stringham's return to school in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. What does Le Bas ask the boys to identify when they find him in the countryside?
5. Who gets picked up by the police in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Myra Erdleigh seem to want to do when she encounters Giles and Jenkins. What service does Giles ask her to provide?
2. What game does the party at Templer's home play to pass the time while the weather is bad in Chapter 3 of "An Acceptance World"?
3. As Jenkins and his acquaintances are having coffee in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market", who comes along with an invitation for them?
4. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
5. What happens on the way to the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market" which confuses Jenkins?
6. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
7. What does the title of this section "An Acceptance World" refer to?
8. In Chapter 4 of "An Acceptable World", what do Jean and Jenkins talk about in relation to their early meetings, and what does Jenkins note about Jean as a mother?
9. In Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market", why does it seem to Jenkins that Stringham is well acquainted with Milly?
10. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories of school?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)