|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jenkins think is a part of Farebrother's persona?
(a) His forgetfulness.
(b) His long anecdotes.
(c) His colorful vocabulary.
(d) His threadbare suits.
2. What does Sillers warn the boys to be sensitive about in regard to Quiggin?
(a) His father's recent death.
(b) His weight.
(c) His financial situation.
(d) His failing grades.
3. After leaving Le Bas in the countryside, where does Stringham ask that the boys stop?
(a) The post office.
(b) A tea room.
(c) A tobacco shop.
(d) The police station.
4. What does Le Bas find which gets Templer kicked out of school in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) A plagiarized exam paper.
(b) A pipe.
(c) A bottle of gin.
(d) A tobacco pouch.
5. What does Giles ask Jenkins to do in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Meet him for dinner.
(b) Consider transferring to another school.
(c) Lend him some money.
(d) Contact his father on Giles' behalf.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how old does Jenkins say Giles is in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. What is Sunderland Farebrother's nickname?
3. What is Jenkins looking at at the beginning of the novel?
4. What field does Widmerpool intend to pursue an occupation in?
5. Which author do Le Bas and the boys discuss while in the countryside?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing", who does Jenkins meet with in London? How is Jenkins put out by this person?
2. Who is Sillers?
3. Who is Sunderland "Sunny" Farebrother?
4. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
5. Explain the incident involving the wanted poster.
6. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
7. Why is Jenkins annoyed by Giles in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
8. What does Jenkins note about Stringham's mother in "A Question of Upbringing"?
9. What is Widmerpool doing when he and Jenkins first meet?
10. How does Widmerpool react to Jenkins' confession about Le Bas' arrest?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)