|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one rumor about Rand going around?
2. Where does Mat go to find Nynaeve and Elayne?
3. Whose voice does Rand hear in his head?
4. What has Faile done regarding Colavaere?
5. To whom will Egwene give Lan's bond eventually?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rand ask of Perrin and what does Perrin say to Rand about the prisoner Aes Sedai?
2. What is Faile upset with Perrin and what does Perrin say to calm her?
3. Who is watching Caddar, aka Sammael, interact with Sevanna and what does she decide?
4. Who are meeting at Carridin's home?
5. What does Perrin hear Rand doing after the battle and what is Perrin's response?
6. Who comes in after Omerna stabs Niall and what does the man do?
7. What do Rand and his group find when they enter Cairhien, and about what is Perrin worried?
8. Who is Cadsuane? What does she say to Rand and what is his response?
9. What happens when Rand confronts Colavaere?
10. How do the other Aes Sedai who are there respond to Egwene's actions regarding Lan and what is Egwene's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The word "ta'veren" is used frequently in "A Crown of Swords" and in all the other books in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Discuss the following:
1. Explain the concept of ta'veren and give examples of it to illustrate your explanation.
2. Do you think Jordan uses instances of ta'veren as a narrative contrivance? Why? Give examples to support your stance.
3. How do you think the concept of ta'veren adds to the complexity of the novel? Explain using examples.
Essay Topic 2
Symbols are an important part of the story of "A Crown of Swords". Some of the symbols carry over from other books in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. One of the most important symbols of the entire Wheel of Time series is that of the Dragon. Discuss and analyze using specific examples the symbol of the dragon.
2. One of the characters, Min Farshaw, sees symbols circling the heads of many of the characters. Discuss the symbols Min sees circling the heads of three of the characters.
3. There are a number of symbols associated with the presence of good and evil. Discuss these and their meanings.
Essay Topic 3
"A Crown of Swords" belongs to the literary genre of fantasy fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly define the term genre and offer examples of it from your own reading experience. Why do you think it is useful to categorize fiction into genres? What could be a disadvantage of doing so?
2. What do you think is the main motivation for a person to read a fantasy novel? Is entertainment a suitable reason? Are there any other reasons to read this genre? What? Explain fully.
3. In academe, fantasy novels are often thought of as less literary than some other genres and for that reason are sometimes snubbed in the study of literature. Why do you think this is so? Do you agree with this snobbery?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)