|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom will Egwene give Lan's bond eventually?
2. What does a witness see near Egwene's tent when Marigan disappears?
3. Who is Lady Shiaine?
4. What are Nynaeve and Elayne seeking?
5. What does Egwene say in her message to Nynaeve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Rand and his group find when they enter Cairhien, and about what is Perrin worried?
2. What are Falion and Ispan doing in Chapter 17?
3. What does Rand know about Mat, Elayne, and Nynaeve, and what worries Rand about them?
4. What does a Maiden tell Rand when he arrives outside of Cairhien?
5. Describe how Mat meets Beslan.
6. What does Perrin hear Rand doing after the battle and what is Perrin's response?
7. Who is Marigan and how does Egwene control her?
8. Describe the conversation between Bryne and Egwene as they are riding together.
9. Who are Perrin's prisoners, what do many think should be done about them, and how does Perrin feel about it?
10. Who comes in after Omerna stabs Niall and what does the man do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"A Crown of Swords" belongs to the literary genre of fantasy fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly define the term genre and offer examples of it from your own reading experience. Why do you think it is useful to categorize fiction into genres? What could be a disadvantage of doing so?
2. What do you think is the main motivation for a person to read a fantasy novel? Is entertainment a suitable reason? Are there any other reasons to read this genre? What? Explain fully.
3. In academe, fantasy novels are often thought of as less literary than some other genres and for that reason are sometimes snubbed in the study of literature. Why do you think this is so? Do you agree with this snobbery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "A Crown of Swords" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "A Crown of Swords" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that "A Crown of Swords" is a novel in a series changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Though it is not a part of "A Crown of Swords", the readers are given enough information to learn that Rand al'Thor was, up until a short time ago, a shepherd in a small village in Two Rivers. Discuss the following:
1. How do you think Rand has changed from who he was before Moiraine comes to his village to the Rand he is in "A Crown of Swords"?
2. Why do you think Jordan chooses a young, unknown man to be the hero of the series?
3. How would the book have been different if Rand had been a prince?
4. How would the book have been different if the Dragon Reborn had been a female?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)