Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lan?
2. Who is Elayne?
3. Whose voice does Rand hear in his head?
4. What is Rand trying to convince some rulers about Aes Sedai?
5. Whom did Lews Therin kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What voice does Rand hear as he draws in saidin?
2. What happens just as the practice sword fight starts?
3. Describe the first encounter between Mat and Tylin when Mat moves to the Palace.
4. What do Rand and his group find when they enter Cairhien, and about what is Perrin worried?
5. What are Falion and Ispan doing in Chapter 17?
6. Who are Perrin's prisoners, what do many think should be done about them, and how does Perrin feel about it?
7. Why did Faile align herself with Colavaere?
8. What happens to Rand during the fighting, though at first it seems insignificant?
9. What does Beslan say to Mat about Beslan's mother, Tylin, and how does Mat feel about what Beslan says?
10. What happens as Nynaeve is on a boat to go meet with the Sea Folk?
"A Crown of Swords" belongs to the literary genre of fantasy fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly define the term genre and offer examples of it from your own reading experience. Why do you think it is useful to categorize fiction into genres? What could be a disadvantage of doing so?
2. What do you think is the main motivation for a person to read a fantasy novel? Is entertainment a suitable reason? Are there any other reasons to read this genre? What? Explain fully.
3. In academe, fantasy novels are often thought of as less literary than some other genres and for that reason are sometimes snubbed in the study of literature. Why do you think this is so? Do you agree with this snobbery?
Though it is not a part of "A Crown of Swords", the readers are given enough information to learn that Rand al'Thor was, up until a short time ago, a shepherd in a small village in Two Rivers. Discuss the following:
1. How do you think Rand has changed from who he was before Moiraine comes to his village to the Rand he is in "A Crown of Swords"?
2. Why do you think Jordan chooses a young, unknown man to be the hero of the series?
3. How would the book have been different if Rand had been a prince?
4. How would the book have been different if the Dragon Reborn had been a female?
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "A Crown of Swords".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "A Crown of Swords". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "A Crown of Swords". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)