|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lan?
2. Who is Elayne?
3. Whose voice does Rand hear in his head?
4. What is Rand trying to convince some rulers about Aes Sedai?
5. Whom did Lews Therin kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What voice does Rand hear as he draws in saidin?
2. What happens just as the practice sword fight starts?
3. Describe the first encounter between Mat and Tylin when Mat moves to the Palace.
4. What do Rand and his group find when they enter Cairhien, and about what is Perrin worried?
5. What are Falion and Ispan doing in Chapter 17?
6. Who are Perrin's prisoners, what do many think should be done about them, and how does Perrin feel about it?
7. Why did Faile align herself with Colavaere?
8. What happens to Rand during the fighting, though at first it seems insignificant?
9. What does Beslan say to Mat about Beslan's mother, Tylin, and how does Mat feel about what Beslan says?
10. What happens as Nynaeve is on a boat to go meet with the Sea Folk?
Essay Topic 1
Rand al'Thor is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds against him, he usually comes out on top, in this book and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Which is more admirable, a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and does not succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Rand whom you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "A Crown of Swords".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "A Crown of Swords". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "A Crown of Swords". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout "A Crown of Swords". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with power? Why? What are some symbols of power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout "A Crown of Swords". What characters are most concerned with magic? Why? What are some symbols of magic? How does the ability to channel give an automatic advantage to someone over another who cannot channel? Is there abuse of this ability?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout "A Crown of Swords". What characters are what you would call evil? Why? What are some symbols of evil? Symbols of good? Are more characters evil than good or vice versa? Do you think in general, there is less evil than good in the book?
This section contains 3,306 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)