|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lan?
2. Who is Elayne?
3. Whose voice does Rand hear in his head?
4. What is Rand trying to convince some rulers about Aes Sedai?
5. Whom did Lews Therin kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What voice does Rand hear as he draws in saidin?
2. What happens just as the practice sword fight starts?
3. Describe the first encounter between Mat and Tylin when Mat moves to the Palace.
4. What do Rand and his group find when they enter Cairhien, and about what is Perrin worried?
5. What are Falion and Ispan doing in Chapter 17?
6. Who are Perrin's prisoners, what do many think should be done about them, and how does Perrin feel about it?
7. Why did Faile align herself with Colavaere?
8. What happens to Rand during the fighting, though at first it seems insignificant?
9. What does Beslan say to Mat about Beslan's mother, Tylin, and how does Mat feel about what Beslan says?
10. What happens as Nynaeve is on a boat to go meet with the Sea Folk?
Essay Topic 1
The word "ta'veren" is used frequently in "A Crown of Swords" and in all the other books in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Discuss the following:
1. Explain the concept of ta'veren and give examples of it to illustrate your explanation.
2. Do you think Jordan uses instances of ta'veren as a narrative contrivance? Why? Give examples to support your stance.
3. How do you think the concept of ta'veren adds to the complexity of the novel? Explain using examples.
Essay Topic 2
Several of the Forsaken appear in "A Crown of Swords". Discuss the following:
1. Who are the Forsaken and what do you think is their role in the Wheel of Time series (you should be able to figure this out through what is said in "A Crown of Swords").
2. Compare/contrast the Forsaken with those in power that are supposedly on the "good" side--such as the Aes Sedai, the Whitecloaks and some Aiel.
3. Discuss the implications of Nynaeve being able to capture Moghedien and Rand having Asmodean to heel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "A Crown of Swords" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "A Crown of Swords" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that "A Crown of Swords" is a novel in a series changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 3,306 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)