|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one rumor about Rand going around?
2. What does a witness see near Egwene's tent when Marigan disappears?
3. With whom is Queen Morgase playing a game?
4. Where is Colavaere sent?
5. What does Sammael say to do to Mat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Faile upset with Perrin and what does Perrin say to calm her?
2. Who are meeting at Carridin's home?
3. How do the other Aes Sedai who are there respond to Egwene's actions regarding Lan and what is Egwene's response?
4. What voice does Rand hear as he draws in saidin?
5. Who is Cadsuane? What does she say to Rand and what is his response?
6. What does a Maiden tell Rand when he arrives outside of Cairhien?
7. What happens when Omerna comes into the room where Niall and Morgase are?
8. What does Sammael order and how does Carridin counter the order after Sammael is gone?
9. Who comes in after Omerna stabs Niall and what does the man do?
10. What are Falion and Ispan doing in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As in many fantasy novels, magic is an inherent part of a few of the characters and can be wielded by other characters, though not as an inherent aspect of their nature. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the use of magic/channeling source in "A Crown of Swords". Who possesses the ability to channel source as an inherent aspect of their nature? How does the inequality between those who can channel and those who can impact the plot of "A Crown of Swords"?
2. Why do you think magic exists in so many fantasy novels? Do you think a novel can be "fantasy" and there be no magic as a part of the storyline? Why?
3. Would you desire to possess the ability to use magic if there were such a talent in our world? Why? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of possessing such an ability?
Essay Topic 2
Often, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why?
5. What type of plot do you think "A Crown of Swords" is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Jordan treats the world of dreams as an actual world where what happens there can affect people when not in the dream world; for example, if one is killed in the dream world, they are dead in "real life." Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe and analyze the interactions between Moghedien and Nynaeve/Elayne in "A Crown of Swords".
2. Describe and analyze Tel'Aran'Rhiod and how it affects the plot in "A Crown of Swords".
3. Why do you think Jordan includes the world of Tel'Aran'Rhiod in his Wheel of Time series?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)