Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lan?
2. Who is Elayne?
3. Whose voice does Rand hear in his head?
4. What is Rand trying to convince some rulers about Aes Sedai?
5. Whom did Lews Therin kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What voice does Rand hear as he draws in saidin?
2. What happens just as the practice sword fight starts?
3. Describe the first encounter between Mat and Tylin when Mat moves to the Palace.
4. What do Rand and his group find when they enter Cairhien, and about what is Perrin worried?
5. What are Falion and Ispan doing in Chapter 17?
6. Who are Perrin's prisoners, what do many think should be done about them, and how does Perrin feel about it?
7. Why did Faile align herself with Colavaere?
8. What happens to Rand during the fighting, though at first it seems insignificant?
9. What does Beslan say to Mat about Beslan's mother, Tylin, and how does Mat feel about what Beslan says?
10. What happens as Nynaeve is on a boat to go meet with the Sea Folk?
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation that the Seanchan who leash and control the damane (women who can channel) can actually channel also. What other irony can you find in "A Crown of Swords"? Do you think irony enhances the book? Why?
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from "A Crown of Swords". What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in "A Crown of Swords" and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why? Some possible devices: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "A Crown of Swords".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "A Crown of Swords". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "A Crown of Swords". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Several of the Forsaken appear in "A Crown of Swords". Discuss the following:
1. Who are the Forsaken and what do you think is their role in the Wheel of Time series (you should be able to figure this out through what is said in "A Crown of Swords").
2. Compare/contrast the Forsaken with those in power that are supposedly on the "good" side--such as the Aes Sedai, the Whitecloaks and some Aiel.
3. Discuss the implications of Nynaeve being able to capture Moghedien and Rand having Asmodean to heel.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)