Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lan?
2. Who is Elayne?
3. Whose voice does Rand hear in his head?
4. What is Rand trying to convince some rulers about Aes Sedai?
5. Whom did Lews Therin kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What voice does Rand hear as he draws in saidin?
2. What happens just as the practice sword fight starts?
3. Describe the first encounter between Mat and Tylin when Mat moves to the Palace.
4. What do Rand and his group find when they enter Cairhien, and about what is Perrin worried?
5. What are Falion and Ispan doing in Chapter 17?
6. Who are Perrin's prisoners, what do many think should be done about them, and how does Perrin feel about it?
7. Why did Faile align herself with Colavaere?
8. What happens to Rand during the fighting, though at first it seems insignificant?
9. What does Beslan say to Mat about Beslan's mother, Tylin, and how does Mat feel about what Beslan says?
10. What happens as Nynaeve is on a boat to go meet with the Sea Folk?
Symbols are an important part of the story of "A Crown of Swords". Some of the symbols carry over from other books in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. One of the most important symbols of the entire Wheel of Time series is that of the Dragon. Discuss and analyze using specific examples the symbol of the dragon.
2. One of the characters, Min Farshaw, sees symbols circling the heads of many of the characters. Discuss the symbols Min sees circling the heads of three of the characters.
3. There are a number of symbols associated with the presence of good and evil. Discuss these and their meanings.
Though it is not a part of "A Crown of Swords", the readers are given enough information to learn that Rand al'Thor was, up until a short time ago, a shepherd in a small village in Two Rivers. Discuss the following:
1. How do you think Rand has changed from who he was before Moiraine comes to his village to the Rand he is in "A Crown of Swords"?
2. Why do you think Jordan chooses a young, unknown man to be the hero of the series?
3. How would the book have been different if Rand had been a prince?
4. How would the book have been different if the Dragon Reborn had been a female?
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout "A Crown of Swords". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with power? Why? What are some symbols of power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout "A Crown of Swords". What characters are most concerned with magic? Why? What are some symbols of magic? How does the ability to channel give an automatic advantage to someone over another who cannot channel? Is there abuse of this ability?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout "A Crown of Swords". What characters are what you would call evil? Why? What are some symbols of evil? Symbols of good? Are more characters evil than good or vice versa? Do you think in general, there is less evil than good in the book?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)