Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lan?
2. Who is Elayne?
3. Whose voice does Rand hear in his head?
4. What is Rand trying to convince some rulers about Aes Sedai?
5. Whom did Lews Therin kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What voice does Rand hear as he draws in saidin?
2. What happens just as the practice sword fight starts?
3. Describe the first encounter between Mat and Tylin when Mat moves to the Palace.
4. What do Rand and his group find when they enter Cairhien, and about what is Perrin worried?
5. What are Falion and Ispan doing in Chapter 17?
6. Who are Perrin's prisoners, what do many think should be done about them, and how does Perrin feel about it?
7. Why did Faile align herself with Colavaere?
8. What happens to Rand during the fighting, though at first it seems insignificant?
9. What does Beslan say to Mat about Beslan's mother, Tylin, and how does Mat feel about what Beslan says?
10. What happens as Nynaeve is on a boat to go meet with the Sea Folk?
Essay Topic 1
Symbols are an important part of the story of "A Crown of Swords". Some of the symbols carry over from other books in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. One of the most important symbols of the entire Wheel of Time series is that of the Dragon. Discuss and analyze using specific examples the symbol of the dragon.
2. One of the characters, Min Farshaw, sees symbols circling the heads of many of the characters. Discuss the symbols Min sees circling the heads of three of the characters.
3. There are a number of symbols associated with the presence of good and evil. Discuss these and their meanings.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "A Crown of Swords" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "A Crown of Swords" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that "A Crown of Swords" is a novel in a series changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "A Crown of Swords".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "A Crown of Swords". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "A Crown of Swords". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)