Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lan?
2. Who is Elayne?
3. Whose voice does Rand hear in his head?
4. What is Rand trying to convince some rulers about Aes Sedai?
5. Whom did Lews Therin kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What voice does Rand hear as he draws in saidin?
2. What happens just as the practice sword fight starts?
3. Describe the first encounter between Mat and Tylin when Mat moves to the Palace.
4. What do Rand and his group find when they enter Cairhien, and about what is Perrin worried?
5. What are Falion and Ispan doing in Chapter 17?
6. Who are Perrin's prisoners, what do many think should be done about them, and how does Perrin feel about it?
7. Why did Faile align herself with Colavaere?
8. What happens to Rand during the fighting, though at first it seems insignificant?
9. What does Beslan say to Mat about Beslan's mother, Tylin, and how does Mat feel about what Beslan says?
10. What happens as Nynaeve is on a boat to go meet with the Sea Folk?
Essay Topic 1
As in many fantasy novels, magic is an inherent part of a few of the characters and can be wielded by other characters, though not as an inherent aspect of their nature. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the use of magic/channeling source in "A Crown of Swords". Who possesses the ability to channel source as an inherent aspect of their nature? How does the inequality between those who can channel and those who can impact the plot of "A Crown of Swords"?
2. Why do you think magic exists in so many fantasy novels? Do you think a novel can be "fantasy" and there be no magic as a part of the storyline? Why?
3. Would you desire to possess the ability to use magic if there were such a talent in our world? Why? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of possessing such an ability?
Essay Topic 2
"A Crown of Swords" is one book in a series of novels involving the Dragon Reborn. Discuss the following.
1. What are some advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are some disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier, more difficult, or about the same to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Several of the Forsaken appear in "A Crown of Swords". Discuss the following:
1. Who are the Forsaken and what do you think is their role in the Wheel of Time series (you should be able to figure this out through what is said in "A Crown of Swords").
2. Compare/contrast the Forsaken with those in power that are supposedly on the "good" side--such as the Aes Sedai, the Whitecloaks and some Aiel.
3. Discuss the implications of Nynaeve being able to capture Moghedien and Rand having Asmodean to heel.
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)