|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mat do to his attackers?
2. What do Nynaeve and Elayne want to destroy?
3. What has Perrin just done in Chapter 1?
4. What does Rand do after listening to Cadsuane for a while?
5. What are Nynaeve and Elayne seeking?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rand silence the voice of Lews Therin?
2. What is Faile upset with Perrin and what does Perrin say to calm her?
3. What does a Maiden tell Rand when he arrives outside of Cairhien?
4. Why did Faile align herself with Colavaere?
5. Who is Cadsuane? What does she say to Rand and what is his response?
6. What message does Mat write to Elayne and Nynaeve and what does he notice about the ring with which he seals the message?
7. How does Myrelle act as she is riding with Egwene and Siuan and why is she acting this way?
8. Describe the conversation between Cadsuane and several Aes Sedai who accompany Rand.
9. Who are Perrin's prisoners, what do many think should be done about them, and how does Perrin feel about it?
10. Who is Marigan and how does Egwene control her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As in many fantasy novels, magic is an inherent part of a few of the characters and can be wielded by other characters, though not as an inherent aspect of their nature. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the use of magic/channeling source in "A Crown of Swords". Who possesses the ability to channel source as an inherent aspect of their nature? How does the inequality between those who can channel and those who can impact the plot of "A Crown of Swords"?
2. Why do you think magic exists in so many fantasy novels? Do you think a novel can be "fantasy" and there be no magic as a part of the storyline? Why?
3. Would you desire to possess the ability to use magic if there were such a talent in our world? Why? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of possessing such an ability?
Essay Topic 2
Symbols are an important part of the story of "A Crown of Swords". Some of the symbols carry over from other books in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. One of the most important symbols of the entire Wheel of Time series is that of the Dragon. Discuss and analyze using specific examples the symbol of the dragon.
2. One of the characters, Min Farshaw, sees symbols circling the heads of many of the characters. Discuss the symbols Min sees circling the heads of three of the characters.
3. There are a number of symbols associated with the presence of good and evil. Discuss these and their meanings.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout "A Crown of Swords". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with power? Why? What are some symbols of power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout "A Crown of Swords". What characters are most concerned with magic? Why? What are some symbols of magic? How does the ability to channel give an automatic advantage to someone over another who cannot channel? Is there abuse of this ability?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout "A Crown of Swords". What characters are what you would call evil? Why? What are some symbols of evil? Symbols of good? Are more characters evil than good or vice versa? Do you think in general, there is less evil than good in the book?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)