|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the adults at the graveyard, what was wrong with Moritz?
2. Mr. Gabor shows his wife a letter from Melchior in the third scene of Act III.III, Scene 3. Who is it addressed to?
3. What does Hanschen admit to himself at the end of Act II, Scene 3?
4. Where does Act III, Scene 6 take place?
5. What does Hanschen do to the image while in the bathroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hanschen deal with his burgeoning sexual desires?
2. What does Ilsa reveal to Martha at Moritz's grave?
3. What favor has Moritz asked of Mrs. Gabor? What does he admit to her?
4. What game does Melchior initially not participate in at reform school? Why does he change his mind?
5. Why does Hanschen claim he needs to destroy the picture? How does this represent the views of the town?
6. How does Rentier Stiefel react to Moritz's death?
7. What is Hanschen's relationship to "Venus?"
8. What is significant about Melchior's letter to Wendla?
9. Describe Wendla's mood and thoughts in Act II, scene 6.
10. What is significant about the singer Moritz thinks about in Act II, scene 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Wendla and Ilse. How does knowledge affect both girls? How is Ilse freer than Wendla? Conversely, how is Wendla freer than Ilse? What is the significance of Wendla being raped and Ilse sleeping freely with her artists?
Essay Topic 2
Melchior and Moritz are the two central characters of Spring Awakening: A Children's Tragedy. Their relationship is central to the plot and provides much of the dramatic tension and tragedies of the piece.
- Compare and contrast Melchior and Moritz.
- Discuss Melchior's protectiveness of Moritz and how Moritz looks up to his friend.
- Discuss the masked man's reactions and analysis of both boys.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of the masked man? How do Moritz and Melchior react to him? What are some of the man's possible identities? What does he claim about his relationships to Moritz and Melchior? What is the significance of Melchior leaving with the masked man at the end of the play? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)