|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is revealed as the actual cause of Wendla's death?
2. Where does the last scene of the play take place?
3. What does Hanschen admit to himself at the end of Act II, Scene 3?
4. What does Ilsa do in lieu of going to school?
5. What is the purpose of the letter from Melchior that Mr. Gabor shows his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Melchior's letter to Wendla?
2. Describe Ilsa's life.
3. What is significant about the singer Moritz thinks about in Act II, scene 7?
4. How do Stickytongue and Melchior try to defend "Copulation?"
5. What claims does the masked man make to Melchior and Moritz?
6. Why does Melchior consider suicide in the final scene of the play?
7. What game does Melchior initially not participate in at reform school? Why does he change his mind?
8. Why does Moritz commit suicide at the end of Act II?
9. How does Rentier Stiefel react to Moritz's death?
10. Why is Mrs. Gabor concerned about Moritz and Melchior reading Faust? How is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Wendla and Ilse. How does knowledge affect both girls? How is Ilse freer than Wendla? Conversely, how is Wendla freer than Ilse? What is the significance of Wendla being raped and Ilse sleeping freely with her artists?
Essay Topic 2
Pick one of the following topics to write about:
- The father-son dynamic of both the playwright and the play.
- Eros and Thanatos.
- Expressionism and Realism in Spring Awakening: A Children's Tragedy.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following topics to write about:
- Discuss Hanschen's relationship with "Venus."
- Discuss Ilse's story of the artist who kept threatening to kill her.
- Discuss the names of the professors.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)