|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the play after it was first printed?
2. How does Moritz feel about his dreams?
3. According to Moritz, what is designed to flunk out the students at their school?
4. What sort of story is A Children's Tragedy?
5. How does Melchior feel about people who end up in Hell because they do not enjoy visiting the poor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mrs. Bergmann and Wendla deal with the girl's maturation in Act I, Scene 1?
2. How was "Spring Awakening" treated in Germany during both World Wars?
3. How does this play fit into both genres of expressionism and realism?
4. Why does Moritz not want to listen to Melchior's explanations about sex?
5. According to the summary in the introduction, what will happen to Melchior?
6. What happened to "Spring Awakening" in America after publication? Why?
7. What are Melchior's beliefs about good deeds, as related to Wendla?
8. What event does Bentley claim influence Wedekind? Why?
9. How does the introduction of this play describe Eros and Thanatos?
10. What is the purpose of the Moritat in the introduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the masked man? How do Moritz and Melchior react to him? What are some of the man's possible identities? What does he claim about his relationships to Moritz and Melchior? What is the significance of Melchior leaving with the masked man at the end of the play? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Upon publication, Spring Awakening: A Children's Tragedy was frequently suppressed, censored, or outright banned in several countries. Discuss the history of this play's production in the following format:
Part 1) Wedekind's troubles in the writing and publishing of this play.
Part 2) Critical reaction.
Part 3) The play during the World Wars.
Part 4) Censored publications.
Part 5) First American performance.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following topics to write about:
- Mrs. Bergmann's explanation on pregnancy.
- The contrast of the pastor's sermon at Moritz's funeral and the girls bringing his grave flowers.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)