|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Act II, Scene 2, what event has occurred within Wendla's family?
(a) Her sister has died in childbirth.
(b) Wendla's father dies.
(c) Her sister has had a baby.
(d) Wendla's sister is arrested for prostitution.
2. At the end of Act II, Scene 1, what do Melchior and Moritz wonder about?
(a) If their peers are having sex.
(b) If sex is truly necessary.
(c) How girls can enjoy sex.
(d) If their conversations are being eavesdropped upon.
3. Why is Moritz devastated in Act II, Scene 5?
(a) He was not promoted to the next grade.
(b) His plans to run away have been thwarted.
(c) His father disowned him.
(d) He lost all of his money.
4. How does Moritz vent his frustration at the end of Act II, Scene 7?
(a) He screams.
(b) He allows Ilsa to take his virginity.
(c) He punches the tree.
(d) He throws his books in the river.
5. How does Mrs. Gabor initially react to reading Melchior's letter in Act III?
(a) She claims that Wendla and Melchior have done nothing wrong.
(b) She claims that Melchior did not rape Wendla.
(c) She claims it is a forger.
(d) She claims it is just part of a class assignment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memento does Ilsa have of Moritz?
2. According to the pastor, what will happen to Moritz?
3. How does Hanschen feel about the painting?
4. What did Mrs. Bergmann tell Wendla about her sister's bed rest?
5. Where does Act II, Scene 7 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favor has Moritz asked of Mrs. Gabor? What does he admit to her?
2. Why does Melchior consider suicide in the final scene of the play?
3. Why does Hanschen claim he needs to destroy the picture? How does this represent the views of the town?
4. What philosophy does Melchior claim to believe? What action follows in the hayloft?
5. What claims does the masked man make to Melchior and Moritz?
6. Why does her sister having a child come as such a surprise to Wendla?
7. Describe Wendla's mood and thoughts in Act II, scene 6.
8. What advice and favor does Mrs. Gabor offer to Moritz?
9. Describe Ilsa's life.
10. Describe Moritz's story to Melchior.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)