|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What favor does Moritz ask of Melchior in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He asks Melchior to help him study.
(b) He asks him not to tell anyone about his ignorance.
(c) He asks Melchior to visit him later that night.
(d) He asks him to write about sex so he may read it later.
2. What does Melchior tell Wendla about his belief in people who enjoy doing charity work?
(a) They will end up in Hell.
(b) They will end up disappointed.
(c) They will end up in Heaven.
(d) They will end up being taken advantage of.
3. After Martha's punishment for the ribbon, how does she spend the night?
(a) Outside in the cold.
(b) In the tree by her window.
(c) On the floor in a sack.
(d) Under her bed.
4. What was the result of Wedekind's conflicts while writing?
(a) He left home.
(b) He moved into a commune for artists.
(c) He left the country.
(d) He left his position within the government.
5. Where does Moritz sneak to in Act 1, Scene 4?
(b) Melchior's house.
(c) The faculty room.
(d) His teacher's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the most sexual scene of the play, what is alluded to heavily?
2. According to Bentley, what group of people does not like this play?
3. What girl is walking home with Wendla and Martha in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. Why did Martha, after being punished for the ribbon, come back inside?
5. According to the masked man, what is morality?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the introduction of this play describe Eros and Thanatos?
2. Describe the main theme of one of the characters that is pointed out as being a philosophy of Goethe.
3. What is the purpose of the Moritat in the introduction?
4. How was "Spring Awakening" treated in Germany during both World Wars?
5. What thought does Wendla have that offends her mother? Where does it come from?
6. What conflicts does Bentley discuss were essential to Wedekind during the writing of "Spring Awakening"? Why?
7. Why does Moritz not want to listen to Melchior's explanations about sex?
8. According to Bentley, what are some possible identities of the masked man at the end of the play?
9. What is significant about the number sixty in relation to Moritz?
10. What does Moritz reveal himself completely ignorant about in Act I, Scene 2?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)