|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bentley's analysis, who may NOT be the masked figure at the end of the play?
2. What is Eros according to Bentley?
(a) An instinct for death.
(b) Romantic love.
(c) An instinct for life.
(d) Sexual love.
3. Why did Martha, after being punished for the ribbon, come back inside?
(a) She was being chased by boys.
(b) She was too clothed for the heat.
(c) She was lonely.
(d) She was naked and it was cold.
4. According to Bentley, what group of people does not like this play?
(d) Abstinence-only groups.
5. What does Wendla claim about the thoughts her mother finds offensive in the first scene?
(a) She says her sister tells her these thoughts.
(b) She says she hears the girls at school expressing similar thoughts.
(c) She says they come to her at night.
(d) She says that she overhears her mother expressing these thoughts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What birthday is being celebrated for Wendla in Act I, Scene 1?
2. How does Melchior feel about people who end up in Hell because they do not enjoy visiting the poor?
3. In what form does the play begin?
4. What is considered the most sexual scene in A Children's Tragedy?
5. Why does Moritz commit suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Bentley, what are some possible identities of the masked man at the end of the play?
2. Why was this play frequently repressed after the initial publication?
3. According to the summary in the introduction, what will happen to Melchior?
4. How do Mrs. Bergmann and Wendla deal with the girl's maturation in Act I, Scene 1?
5. What is the purpose of the Moritat in the introduction?
6. What does Moritz reveal himself completely ignorant about in Act I, Scene 2?
7. What startling admission does Moritz give in Act I, Scene 4? Why?
8. In the introduction, why is this play deemed as widely disliked by feminists?
9. What are some of the ways this play was censored in re-prints?
10. What happened to "Spring Awakening" in America after publication? Why?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)