|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only person to defend Melchior in the scene with all the teachers?
2. What are Melchior's implied actions when Wendla finds him in Act II, scene 4?
3. What picture is Hanschen addressing in Act II, Scene 3?
(a) A picture of the Pieta.
(c) "Daphne and the Hunters."
4. What is the name of Wendla's sister?
5. How does Melchior plan to escape from the reformatory?
(a) Through the cellar.
(b) Climbing to the roof.
(c) Through the windows.
(d) Hiding in the farmer's hay wagon.
6. Who visits Wendla's mother at the end of Act III, Scene 5?
(a) Melchior's mother.
(b) The doctor.
(d) Mother Schmidt.
7. What flowers does Wendla pick in Act II, Scene 6?
8. How does Act II end?
(a) Moritz walks in on Melchior and Wendla.
(b) Moritz follows Ilsa home.
(c) Moritz pleads with God for help.
(d) Moritz prepares to kill himself.
9. What do Moritz's classmates speculate as the method of suicide?
(b) Cutting his own throat.
10. How does Mrs. Bergmann attempt to explain her new grandson to Wendla?
(a) Cabbage patches.
(b) He appeared on the doorstep.
(c) The stork.
11. What situation was Ilsa in that her friends bailed her out of?
(a) She was kidnapped.
(c) She was arrested.
(d) She was nearly raped.
12. Where does the last scene of the play take place?
(a) Melchior's school.
(b) The graveyard.
(c) The church.
(d) The riverbank.
13. What does Hanschen admit to himself at the end of Act II, Scene 3?
(a) He will be aroused by other images in the future.
(b) He will never be attracted to a real woman.
(c) He will never be aroused without thinking of that picture again.
(d) He will forget about the picture shortly.
14. How is Melchior permitted to answer questions in Act III, Scene 1?
(a) True or false.
(b) Nodding or shaking his head.
(c) Yes and no.
(d) Written answers only.
15. What question does Wendla demand an answer for from her mother in Act II, Scene 2?
(a) The truth of her parentage.
(b) Wendla believes she is adopted.
(c) Ina is dying from childbirth.
(d) Where babies come from.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the letter from Melchior that Mr. Gabor shows his wife?
2. Where is Wendla in Act III, Scene 5?
3. At the end of Act II, Scene 1, what do Melchior and Moritz wonder about?
4. What memento does Ilsa have of Moritz?
5. What does Ilsa do in lieu of going to school?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)