|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Melchior start to do to Wendla when she begins to object in Act II, Scene 4?
(a) Beat her.
(b) Kiss her.
(c) Talk to her.
(d) Help her with her work.
2. How does Act II end?
(a) Moritz walks in on Melchior and Wendla.
(b) Moritz follows Ilsa home.
(c) Moritz pleads with God for help.
(d) Moritz prepares to kill himself.
3. For what does Melchior's mother warn Moritz in Act II, Scene 1?
(a) Studying too much.
(b) Staying out too late away from his parents.
(c) Praying too much.
(d) Not sleeping enough.
4. According to the pastor, what will happen to Moritz?
(a) Eternal damnation.
(b) His soul will walk the earth until Armageddon.
(d) He will go to Heaven.
5. What is the purpose of the letter from Melchior that Mr. Gabor shows his wife?
(a) Melchior is criticizing the Rektor's methods of discipline.
(b) Melchior is apologizing to Moritz for the paper.
(c) Melchior is apologizing to his father for what he has done.
(d) Melchior is apologizing to Wendla for the rape.
6. What did Mrs. Bergmann tell Wendla about her sister's bed rest?
(a) Wendla was told Ina was recovering from surgery.
(b) Wendla was told Ina was having a baby.
(c) Wendla was told Ina broke her leg.
(d) Wendla was told Ina had the flu.
7. Why does Hanschen reason that he must destroy the painting?
(a) Destroying it will set him free to love another picture.
(b) Destroying it will keep him from sexual desire.
(c) Destroying it will keep other people from using the picture.
(d) Destroying it will keep the picture pure in his mind.
8. What do the teachers blame as the cause of Moritz's suicide?
(a) The pressure from school.
(b) Melchior's paper that explains sex.
(c) Melchior's suicide pact.
(d) His emotionally abusive father.
9. According to Mrs. Gabor, what favor is she unable to perform for Moritz?
(a) Give Moritz money to flee the country.
(b) Allow him to move into their home.
(c) Teach him about sex.
(d) Falsify Mortiz's grades for him.
10. What are the teachers planning to do because of Moritz's suicide?
(a) Expel Melchior.
(b) Fail Melchior from class.
(c) Lighten up on their students.
(d) Allow the church to provide counseling for their students.
11. According to the adults at the graveyard, what was wrong with Moritz?
(a) He was put under too much pressure.
(b) No one cared enough to help Moritz.
(c) Moritz was unable to come to terms with his sexuality.
(d) He did not respect his parents.
12. According to Melchior in Act II, Scene 4, what does not exist?
(c) Free will.
13. Where does Act III, Scene 6 take place?
(a) The riverbank.
(c) Grape vineyards.
14. In Act II, Scene 1, what does Moritz tell Melchior he has been doing constantly?
15. Who is the artist of Hanschen's picture in Act II, Scene 3?
(a) Salvador Dali.
(c) Da Vinci.
(d) Palma Vecchio.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moritz debate as being worth staying alive for?
2. What are Melchior's implied actions when Wendla finds him in Act II, scene 4?
3. What does Mrs. Gabor offer to do for Moritz?
4. What drink does Melchior's mother bring to Moritz and Melchior in Act II, Scene 1?
5. How does Moritz vent his frustration at the end of Act II, Scene 7?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)