|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what war was the play suppressed in Germany?
(a) Vietnam War.
(b) World War II.
(c) World War I.
(d) Korean War.
2. Where does Act 1, Scene 5 take place?
(a) The woods.
(b) The barn.
(d) The river.
3. How many years after the initial publication was the play performed in America?
(b) It has never been produced in America.
4. What is a Moritat?
(a) A postscript.
(b) A story written backwards.
(c) A short poem.
(d) A short statement.
5. What sort of characters are the women in A Children's Tragedy?
(a) Primary characters.
(c) Secondary characters.
(d) Stock characters.
6. According to Bentley, what group of people does not like this play?
(c) Abstinence-only groups.
7. What does Wendla claim about the thoughts her mother finds offensive in the first scene?
(a) She says she hears the girls at school expressing similar thoughts.
(b) She says her sister tells her these thoughts.
(c) She says they come to her at night.
(d) She says that she overhears her mother expressing these thoughts.
8. How wide is Moritz's knowledge of maturation?
(a) He knows more about sex than the rest of his class.
(b) He has already had sex.
(c) He has read a book with a sex scene.
(d) He is completely ignorant.
9. Why is Mrs. Bergmann concerned about Wendla's dress?
(a) It is too short for her.
(b) It is too shapeless on her.
(c) It is too adult for her.
(d) It is too long on her.
10. How is Wendla's body, in terms of maturation?
(b) Very under-developed.
(c) Slightly below average.
11. What is Eros according to Bentley?
(a) An instinct for death.
(b) Sexual love.
(c) Romantic love.
(d) An instinct for life.
12. What is the purpose of Wendla's errand in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) The wood is for a fire.
(b) The plants are for medicine.
(c) The flowers are for a centerpiece.
(d) The plants are to flavor wine.
13. Why does Moritz commit suicide?
(a) He believes he is gay.
(b) He has been held back in school.
(c) He gets Ilsa pregnant.
(d) He feels responsible for Wendla's abortion.
14. What is the function of the Moritat in the introduction?
(a) Highlights the salacious points of the play.
(b) Highlights the absurdities and fantastic elements of the play.
(c) Highlights the subtleties of the play.
(d) Highlights the political undertones of the play.
15. Why is Moritz concerned about another boy's standing in his class?
(a) He is afraid that the boy will follow his lead in considering suicide.
(b) He is afraid that the boy will run away if he is not promoted.
(c) He is afraid that the boy will blame Moritz if he is not promoted.
(d) He is competing with that student for the last seat in next year's class.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the masked man, what is morality?
2. For how long may Wendla wear her old dress?
3. How does Moritz react when being told about sex?
4. How do all the boys in Act 1, Scene 2 two know each other?
5. Why does Wendla complain about her new dress?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)