|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Martha, after being punished for the ribbon, come back inside?
(a) She was naked and it was cold.
(b) She was lonely.
(c) She was being chased by boys.
(d) She was too clothed for the heat.
2. In the brief summary given in the introduction, what concept is Melchior struggling with?
(c) Sexual preference.
(d) Political unrest.
3. What happened to Martha when her parents saw her with a ribbon on her nightgown?
(a) They tore off her ribbon.
(b) They tore off her nightgown.
(c) They forced her to wear a burlap sack.
(d) They forced her to remove the ribbon.
4. Who do the girls in this play find very attractive?
5. Where does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
(a) Melchior's home.
6. Who starts to explain sex to Moritz in Act 1, Scene 2?
(b) Mortiz's father.
7. What are Melchior, Moritz, and the boys doing outside in Act 1, Scene 2?
(b) Digging holes.
8. While Wedekind wrote his play, what were people questioning?
(a) Wedekind's writing style.
(c) The father's authority.
(d) The censoring of theater and literature.
9. Why does Wendla die?
(a) Abortion pills.
(c) She is murdered to cover up her rape.
(d) She is taken into custody and dies in prison.
10. Because of the objectionable content of the play, what did Wedekind have to do for the play to be printed?
(a) Agree to a free commission of another play for the publisher.
(b) Pay for publication himself.
(c) Marry the daughter of a publisher.
(d) Write out every script used for the first performance.
11. What excuse does Moritz give in order to escape the discussion about sex?
(a) He has too much homework.
(b) He needs to talk to his father.
(c) He needs to find his girlfriend.
(d) He needs to go pray.
12. Why is Moritz concerned about another boy's standing in his class?
(a) He is competing with that student for the last seat in next year's class.
(b) He is afraid that the boy will blame Moritz if he is not promoted.
(c) He is afraid that the boy will follow his lead in considering suicide.
(d) He is afraid that the boy will run away if he is not promoted.
13. What is the purpose of Wendla's errand in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) The plants are to flavor wine.
(b) The plants are for medicine.
(c) The flowers are for a centerpiece.
(d) The wood is for a fire.
14. What happened to the play after it was first printed?
(a) It was produced immediately and became a huge hit.
(b) It took years to produce in the complete form.
(c) There were mass book-burnings for the script.
(d) It was banned in Europe.
15. How many students in Melchior and Moritz's class will be allowed to graduate to the next grade?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Wendla's body, in terms of maturation?
2. Who keeps Melchior from committing suicide?
3. How does Bentley describe Moritz and Melchior in relationship to each other?
4. Ultimately, what does Bentley suggest about the masked man?
5. What is interesting about realism and expressionism in regards to this play?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)