|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Melchior tell Wendla about his belief in people who enjoy doing charity work?
(a) They will end up in Hell.
(b) They will end up disappointed.
(c) They will end up in Heaven.
(d) They will end up being taken advantage of.
2. What is the most important relationship depicted in A Children's Tragedy?
(a) Melchior and Wendla's relationship.
(b) Ilsa and Moritz's near romance.
(c) The friendship between Moritz and Melchior.
(d) The bond between Moritz and his father.
3. What theatrical genre is combined with tragedy as part of this play's complexity?
(a) Theater of cruelty.
(b) Theater of the poor.
4. Why does Wendla die?
(b) She is murdered to cover up her rape.
(c) Abortion pills.
(d) She is taken into custody and dies in prison.
5. How does Moritz discover the information in Act 1, Scene 4 that cheers him up?
(a) He overhears his teacher talking to another professor about him.
(b) He looks his name up in the teacher's book.
(c) He asks his teacher.
(d) He asks the teacher's assistant for help.
6. In what decade did Wedekind write A Children's Tragedy?
7. What does Mrs. Bergmann wonder about Wendla in the first scene?
(a) She wonders what sort of mother Wendla will make.
(b) She wonders what Wendla will look like in a few years.
(c) She wonders if Wendla will survive her adolescence.
(d) She wonders if Wendla is aware of her changing body.
8. Who does Bentley believe is the inspiration for the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Gabor?
(a) The prime minister and his wife.
(b) The parents of Wedekind's girlfriend.
(c) Wedekind's siblings.
(d) Wedekind's parents.
9. For how long may Wendla wear her old dress?
(a) One more month.
(b) One more week.
(c) One more summer.
(d) One more year.
10. What is a Moritat?
(a) A short statement.
(b) A postscript.
(c) A short poem.
(d) A story written backwards.
11. How do all the boys in Act 1, Scene 2 two know each other?
(a) They are all related to each other.
(b) Government-sanctioned parties.
12. Where does Act 1, Scene 5 take place?
(a) The woods.
(b) The barn.
(c) The river.
13. To whom does Bentley relate the masked man, especially in relation to summary of morality?
14. How is Wendla's body, in terms of maturation?
(a) Very under-developed.
(c) Slightly below average.
15. What is interesting about realism and expressionism in regards to this play?
(a) The play mixes both of them together.
(b) The play ignores both styles and mocks them in absurdism.
(c) The play makes a clear stand against expressionism.
(d) The play makes a clear stand against realism.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the other boys, whose name is still on the list for consideration to be promoted?
2. In the introduction, what is NOT one of the mentioned allusions in the play?
3. According to Bentley, what event in Wedekind's life influences the plot of A Children's Tragedy?
4. What birthday is being celebrated for Wendla in Act I, Scene 1?
5. What is Eros according to Bentley?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)