|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bentley's analysis, who may NOT be the masked figure at the end of the play?
2. Why does Moritz commit suicide?
(a) He gets Ilsa pregnant.
(b) He has been held back in school.
(c) He feels responsible for Wendla's abortion.
(d) He believes he is gay.
3. What is Melchior's relationship to Moritz?
(a) They are brothers.
(b) They are enemies.
(c) They are best friends.
(d) They are lovers.
4. What happened to Martha when her parents saw her with a ribbon on her nightgown?
(a) They forced her to remove the ribbon.
(b) They tore off her ribbon.
(c) They tore off her nightgown.
(d) They forced her to wear a burlap sack.
5. In the introduction, what is NOT one of the mentioned allusions in the play?
(c) The Bible.
6. Why is Moritz concerned about another boy's standing in his class?
(a) He is afraid that the boy will blame Moritz if he is not promoted.
(b) He is competing with that student for the last seat in next year's class.
(c) He is afraid that the boy will follow his lead in considering suicide.
(d) He is afraid that the boy will run away if he is not promoted.
7. In the first scene, what does Wendla wonder about her future?
(a) She wonders what sort of husband she will have.
(b) She wonders what sort of mother she will make.
(c) She wonders if she will make it to adulthood.
(d) She wonders what she will look like in a few years.
8. What fantasy does Wendla admit to having to Melchior?
(a) Being beaten.
(b) Running away.
(c) Having sex.
(d) Marrying Melchior.
9. What do the girls in Act 1, Scene 3 decide they all want one day?
10. Why does Wendla die?
(a) She is taken into custody and dies in prison.
(b) She is murdered to cover up her rape.
(d) Abortion pills.
11. Ultimately, what does Bentley suggest about the masked man?
(a) He is Melchior's inner child.
(b) He is the voice of Melchior's conscience.
(c) He is a father's voice from Melchior's subconscious.
(d) He is Moritz's father.
12. What is a Moritat?
(a) A story written backwards.
(b) A short statement.
(c) A short poem.
(d) A postscript.
13. Where does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
(c) Melchior's home.
14. In the brief summary given in the introduction, what concept is Melchior struggling with?
(a) Sexual preference.
(b) Political unrest.
15. What does Moritz admit to considering if he flunks?
(a) Running away.
(b) Entering the church.
(d) Becoming a criminal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of the objectionable content of the play, what did Wedekind have to do for the play to be printed?
2. How many years after the initial publication was the play performed in America?
3. What does Melchior tell Wendla about his belief in people who enjoy doing charity work?
4. What is the purpose of Wendla's errand in Act 1, Scene 5?
5. What is one of the first things presented in the introduction?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)