|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 2, what does Moritz dream about?
2. How does Moritz discover the information in Act 1, Scene 4 that cheers him up?
(a) He looks his name up in the teacher's book.
(b) He overhears his teacher talking to another professor about him.
(c) He asks the teacher's assistant for help.
(d) He asks his teacher.
3. What favor does Moritz ask of Melchior in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He asks Melchior to visit him later that night.
(b) He asks Melchior to help him study.
(c) He asks him to write about sex so he may read it later.
(d) He asks him not to tell anyone about his ignorance.
4. In the first scene, what does Wendla wonder about her future?
(a) She wonders what sort of mother she will make.
(b) She wonders what she will look like in a few years.
(c) She wonders if she will make it to adulthood.
(d) She wonders what sort of husband she will have.
5. What is one of the first things presented in the introduction?
(a) A graph showing the correlation between sexual activity and suicide.
(b) A pie chart depicting the average number of sexually active teenagers.
(c) A timeline of the play's publication and productions.
(d) A timeline of Wedekind's life with emphasis on events that inspired A Children's Tragedy.
6. Who does Bentley believe is the inspiration for the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Gabor?
(a) Wedekind's siblings.
(b) The prime minister and his wife.
(c) Wedekind's parents.
(d) The parents of Wedekind's girlfriend.
7. According to Bentley, what event in Wedekind's life influences the plot of A Children's Tragedy?
(a) Coming out to his family.
(b) A double suicide at the author's school.
(c) His sister ran away from home.
(d) His girlfriend's miscarriage.
8. According to the summary, who is raped in A Children's Tragedy?
9. What errand has Wendla been sent on in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) She is to gather plants for her mother.
(b) She is to gather mushrooms for her mother.
(c) She is to gather wood for her father.
(d) She is to gather flowers for her sister.
10. Why does Wendla complain about her new dress?
(a) She feels it is too long and shapeless.
(b) She feels it is too childish.
(c) She feels it is too revealing of her figure.
(d) She feels it is too short.
11. What do the boys in Act 1, Scene 2 complain about?
12. Where does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
(a) Melchior's home.
13. Who wrote A Children's Tragedy?
(a) Frank Wedekind.
(b) Peter DeBerg.
(c) Bertolt Brecht.
(d) Georg Buchner.
14. What sort of characters are the women in A Children's Tragedy?
(a) Secondary characters.
(b) Stock characters.
(d) Primary characters.
15. What does Melchior initially believe about people who do good works?
(a) He believes they are half-mad.
(b) He believes they will go to Heaven.
(c) He believes it is for their own benefit.
(d) He believes they do it to relieve guilt.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the masked man, what is morality?
2. What sort of story is A Children's Tragedy?
3. What is interesting about realism and expressionism in regards to this play?
4. According to Moritz, what is designed to flunk out the students at their school?
5. What does Wendla claim about the thoughts her mother finds offensive in the first scene?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)