|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act III, Scene 1 through Act III, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Wendla's reaction when Melchior tries to force her away from him?
(a) She begs him to run away with her.
(b) She refuses.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She starts to cry.
2. What do the teachers blame as the cause of Moritz's suicide?
(a) Melchior's paper that explains sex.
(b) The pressure from school.
(c) Melchior's suicide pact.
(d) His emotionally abusive father.
3. How does Melchior defend himself against his professors?
(a) He points out that he had sex and did not become suicidal.
(b) He points out he only wrote the truth in his paper.
(c) He points out that Melchior had been troubled for years.
(d) He points out that Melchior never actually read his paper.
4. What information does Moritz discover in Act 1, Scene 4 that cheers him up?
(a) He will be sent two grades up in advanced classes.
(b) He will be promoted to the next grade.
(c) He is still passing his grade.
(d) He has already flunked out of school.
5. How do Martha's parents treat her?
(a) They treat her better than the other parents treat their children.
(b) They spoil her.
(c) They coddle her.
(d) They abuse her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years after the initial publication was the play performed in America?
2. Why did Martha, after being punished for the ribbon, come back inside?
3. What does Melchior tell Wendla about his belief in people who enjoy doing charity work?
4. What is the reason Melchior's mother believes the boys are reading Faust?
5. What does Mrs. Bergmann wonder about Wendla in the first scene?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)