|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ten Notes: 6, God the Father, Father the God through 10, The Question of Style.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the play after it was first printed?
(a) There were mass book-burnings for the script.
(b) It took years to produce in the complete form.
(c) It was produced immediately and became a huge hit.
(d) It was banned in Europe.
2. What in particular does Bentley highlight in his Moritat?
(d) Brotherly love.
3. What is Melchior's relationship to Moritz?
(a) They are enemies.
(b) They are lovers.
(c) They are brothers.
(d) They are best friends.
4. What is the function of the Moritat in the introduction?
(a) Highlights the salacious points of the play.
(b) Highlights the political undertones of the play.
(c) Highlights the absurdities and fantastic elements of the play.
(d) Highlights the subtleties of the play.
5. What is one of the first things presented in the introduction?
(a) A timeline of Wedekind's life with emphasis on events that inspired A Children's Tragedy.
(b) A timeline of the play's publication and productions.
(c) A pie chart depicting the average number of sexually active teenagers.
(d) A graph showing the correlation between sexual activity and suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years after the initial publication was the play performed in America?
2. According to Bentley's analysis, who may NOT be the masked figure at the end of the play?
3. What was censored in reissues of A Children's Tragedy?
4. Who wrote A Children's Tragedy?
5. Despite the complexity of A Children's Tragedy what striking aspect is the most widely known about this play?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)