|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave react when his father says goodbye to him?
2. What lie does Dave's mother tell everyone about what Dave did to her while she was pregnant?
3. What does Dave think about 'the accident' with his mother when he regains consciousness?
4. What does Dave's father do to ease Dave's burden in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
5. What is Dave's frame of mind during the summer of 1971?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
2. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
3. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
4. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
5. Explain what Dave's mother does after he is stabbed.
6. Describe the one time Dave had his prayers answered.
7. Explain why Dave's mother gives him roller skates for Christmas.
8. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
9. In Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's father vow he will do for Dave someday?
10. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize the events in the book that lead Dave to calling his mother's house, 'The Madhouse'. Give several examples from the book and describe how these events are considered insane by Dave.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Dave's mother reveals her coldness and cruelty toward Dave.
- Summarize how her attitude toward Dave reflects the attitudes of the rest of the family. Cite examples from the story.
- How does she brainwash Dave's brothers and father not to acknowledge Dave's abusive situation?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Dave's coming of age throughout the story.
- What fears and emotions does he experience as he experiences more and more abuse from his mother?
- How do his attitudes change as he develops from a young boy into an adult?
- Cite examples of the changes Dave goes through from the good times in the story through his abuse and his rescue.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)