|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave feel as he watches the sunset after being stabbed?
2. Near the end of summer in Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's mother send him to do?
3. Who does Dave hate more than anyone else?
4. What is Dave's frame of mind when he sees his father leaving for work in the morning?
5. What does Dave's father tell him when Dave goes to him for help after being stabbed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
2. Describe the actions of Dave's mother when she offers him a plate of food after ten days of not eating.
3. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
4. Explain what Dave's mother does after he is stabbed.
5. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
6. Summarize Mother's reaction when she receives a letter from Mr. Zeigler praising Dave's efforts in school.
7. As Dave enters fifth grade, what is his frame of mind?
8. Explain why Dave's mother gives him roller skates for Christmas.
9. Describe where Dave brings his son in the Epilogue and his emotions at that time.
10. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Dave's mother and father.
- Summarize the impact each of them has on the other.
- How does their alcoholism play a part in Dave's abuse?
- What do Dave's parents do to amuse themselves when they spend time together?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the treatment Dave receives from his classmates at school. Cite examples from the book.
- Describe the events surrounding the cruel suggestion from some of his classmates that he should commit suicide
Essay Topic 3
Summarize the events in the book that lead Dave to calling his mother's house, 'The Madhouse'. Give several examples from the book and describe how these events are considered insane by Dave.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)