|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave think about 'the accident' with his mother when he regains consciousness?
2. What does Dave's mother do after Dave is stabbed?
3. How many days pass before Dave's stab wound gets infected?
4. When is the only time Dave ever has his prayers answered?
5. When Dave's father leaves for good, what is Dave's reaction?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Dave's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How does his attitude change toward God?
- How does his attitude change about himself?
- How are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life different from the beginning to the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dave's views of the Russian River from the first time the reader is introduced to the vacation spot up to the time he visits it as an adult.
- What are his feelings in the good times?
- How does he feel when the family goes without him?
- Analyze his emotions when he brings his son, Stephen, to the Russian River.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Dave's coming of age throughout the story.
- What fears and emotions does he experience as he experiences more and more abuse from his mother?
- How do his attitudes change as he develops from a young boy into an adult?
- Cite examples of the changes Dave goes through from the good times in the story through his abuse and his rescue.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)