|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Dave's feelings as he lies on his cot the night he is stabbed?
2. How many days pass before Dave's stab wound gets infected?
3. What is the secret that Dave learns quickly from his bad situation?
4. Who does Dave hate more than anyone else?
5. What does Dave's father tell him when Dave goes to him for help after being stabbed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
2. Describe the people Dave encounters after he is rescued.
3. Describe Dave's behavior in the classroom one a day during the winter of 1973.
4. Describe the actions of Dave's mother when she offers him a plate of food after ten days of not eating.
5. As Dave enters fifth grade, what is his frame of mind?
6. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
7. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
8. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
9. Summarize the incidents that happen to Dave on the day his mother takes his brothers to the zoo.
10. Explain why Dave's mother gives him roller skates for Christmas.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dave is abused constantly throughout the book.
- How does Dave's mother manage to keep her abuse of Dave a secret? Cite examples from the book.
- What does she tell the principal of Dave's school when he calls to ask about Dave's condition?
- How do the authorities finally find out the truth about Dave's abuse?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Dave's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How does his attitude change toward God?
- How does his attitude change about himself?
- How are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life different from the beginning to the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the events leading up to the stabbing of Dave in the abdomen by his mother.
- Describe how Dave's mother reacts to the stabbing and what she demands from Dave.
- How does Dave survive the infection from his wound?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)