|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contest does Dave win in the fifth grade?
2. Where is Dave driving to after he leaves his view of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
3. What does Dave's mother tell him to do while she takes his brothers to the zoo?
4. How does Dave feel about his brothers as he hears them laugh at a TV show while they eat their desserts?
5. What is Dave's punishment for exceeding the allotted time for chores in Chapter 5, The Accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize what Dave wants from his life now that he is free in the Epilogue.
2. Summarize the incidents that happen to Dave on the day his mother takes his brothers to the zoo.
3. Explain the new punishment Dave's mother invents for him in Chapter 5, While Father is Away, and how he survives it.
4. Summarize Mother's reaction when she receives a letter from Mr. Zeigler praising Dave's efforts in school.
5. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
6. In Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's father vow he will do for Dave someday?
7. Explain what Dave eats after he finished the dishes one day in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer.
8. Summarize Russell's attitude toward Dave, as described in Chapter 5, The Accident.
9. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
10. Describe the one time Dave had his prayers answered.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Dave's mother changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How do her attitudes toward her family and Dave in particular change?
- How does her attitude toward Dave's father change?
- What are the differences in her attitude toward the way she takes care of her family, cooking, cleaning, planning vacations, and nurturing change through the course of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Dave's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How does his attitude change toward God?
- How does his attitude change about himself?
- How are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life different from the beginning to the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Dave's mother tortures him.
- Describe three of the punishments she inflicts upon Dave.
- Describe how he survives the punishments.
- Analyze his emotional state after the punishments are over.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)