|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave's punishment if he looks at one of his brothers?
2. How does Dave feel about his brothers as he hears them laugh at a TV show while they eat their desserts?
3. What happens to Dave in the winter of 1973, while he is in his classroom?
4. Dave's mother offers him food after many days in Chapter 6, While Father is Away. What does she do when he is about to eat it?
5. By Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer, how does Dave tolerate physical pain?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Dave's mother changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How do her attitudes toward her family and Dave in particular change?
- How does her attitude toward Dave's father change?
- What are the differences in her attitude toward the way she takes care of her family, cooking, cleaning, planning vacations, and nurturing change through the course of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Write an introduction to the book discussing what the reader should expect in the book. Prepare the reader for the heinous abuse that Dave experiences and how he comes out of it a survivor.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the school officials finally discover Dave's abuse.
- How do they collect the evidence they need to have Dave removed from his home?
- Who is the first person to report the suspected abuse of Dave?
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)