|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave feel about his brothers as he hears them laugh at a TV show while they eat their desserts?
2. Why does Dave's mother suddenly allow Dave to eat with the family, watch TV, and give him new clothes to wear?
3. What happens when Dave's mother threatens to kill him with a knife?
4. How does Dave refer to Mother's house after his father leaves?
5. What gift does Dave's turbulent past give him, according to the Epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Dave's mother reveals her coldness and cruelty toward Dave.
- Summarize how her attitude toward Dave reflects the attitudes of the rest of the family. Cite examples from the story.
- How does she brainwash Dave's brothers and father not to acknowledge Dave's abusive situation?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the book.
- Choose three events from the story which cause Dave's life to undergo a change.
- How does he react to the events and their effects?
- How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the world?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize the events in the book that lead Dave to calling his mother's house, 'The Madhouse'. Give several examples from the book and describe how these events are considered insane by Dave.
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)