|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Dave's turbulent past give him, according to the Epilogue?
2. What is the code of Dave's family?
3. When Dave's mother returns from the zoo, what does she do to him?
4. What is Dave's punishment if he looks at one of his brothers?
5. Who is the bully in Dave's school that beats him up whenever he sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the new punishment Dave's mother invents for him in Chapter 5, While Father is Away, and how he survives it.
2. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
3. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
4. Describe where Dave brings his son in the Epilogue and his emotions at that time.
5. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
6. Explain what Dave's mother does after he is stabbed.
7. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
8. Summarize what Dave wants from his life now that he is free in the Epilogue.
9. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
10. Describe Dave's behavior in the classroom one a day during the winter of 1973.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the events leading up to the stabbing of Dave in the abdomen by his mother.
- Describe how Dave's mother reacts to the stabbing and what she demands from Dave.
- How does Dave survive the infection from his wound?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Dave as an adult.
- What does he vow to do with his life now that he is free?
- What has he done with his adult life to escape his past and move on?
- Explain how he prevents himself from falling into the black hole of self-pity.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different methods Dave uses to obtain food. Cite examples from the book.
- What are Dave's punishments when his mother finds out he has been sneaking food?
- Describe some of the food items Dave eats in order to survive.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)