|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Father's reaction when mother tells him to stop helping Dave in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
2. What lie does Dave's mother tell everyone about what Dave did to her while she was pregnant?
3. How does Dave feel about the people around him by Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
4. When does Dave feel the most alone?
5. Who does Dave rely upon when he needs encouragement and strength, according to the Epilogue?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Dave as an adult.
- What does he vow to do with his life now that he is free?
- What has he done with his adult life to escape his past and move on?
- Explain how he prevents himself from falling into the black hole of self-pity.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dave's relationship with his father.
- How does the relationship change throughout the book? Give examples from the book.
- How does Dave depend upon his father and does his father live up to the trust Dave puts in him? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Dave's family celebrates the holidays during the good times.
- Cite examples from the story of how they decorate the house, the gifts that are exchanged, and the foods that are served.
- Compare the holidays in the good times to Dave's holidays as the book progresses.
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)