|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the piece of driftwood in the Epilogue remind Dave of?
2. What new torture does Dave's mother come up with when she sends him to clean the bathroom in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
3. What gift does Dave's turbulent past give him, according to the Epilogue?
4. Who is the bully in Dave's school that beats him up whenever he sees him?
5. How often does Dave receive lunch during the summer of 1971?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
2. Explain the new punishment Dave's mother invents for him in Chapter 5, While Father is Away, and how he survives it.
3. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
4. Summarize Russell's attitude toward Dave, as described in Chapter 5, The Accident.
5. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
6. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
7. As Dave enters fifth grade, what is his frame of mind?
8. How does Dave feel about life in America, as outlined in the Epilogue?
9. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
10. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Dave as an adult.
- What does he vow to do with his life now that he is free?
- What has he done with his adult life to escape his past and move on?
- Explain how he prevents himself from falling into the black hole of self-pity.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Dave's coming of age throughout the story.
- What fears and emotions does he experience as he experiences more and more abuse from his mother?
- How do his attitudes change as he develops from a young boy into an adult?
- Cite examples of the changes Dave goes through from the good times in the story through his abuse and his rescue.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Dave's mother tortures him.
- Describe three of the punishments she inflicts upon Dave.
- Describe how he survives the punishments.
- Analyze his emotional state after the punishments are over.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)