|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave feel about the people around him by Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
2. What does Dave bring himself to eat after he finishes the breakfast dishes one day in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
3. What is Dave's final thought in the book?
4. What does Dave think about 'the accident' with his mother when he regains consciousness?
5. What is Russell's reaction to the harsh way mother talks to Dave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
2. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
3. Summarize what Dave wants from his life now that he is free in the Epilogue.
4. How does Dave feel about life in America, as outlined in the Epilogue?
5. Describe why Dave is so fascinated with a piece of driftwood that is washing ashore in the Epilogue.
6. Explain what Dave eats after he finished the dishes one day in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer.
7. Explain what Dave's mother does after he is stabbed.
8. Describe the actions of Dave's mother when she offers him a plate of food after ten days of not eating.
9. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
10. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the book.
- Choose three events from the story which cause Dave's life to undergo a change.
- How does he react to the events and their effects?
- How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the world?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the relationship between Dave and his mother.
- How does Dave's father affect Dave's relationship with his mother?
- How does Dave feel about his mother at the end of the book?
- Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dave's relationship with his father.
- How does the relationship change throughout the book? Give examples from the book.
- How does Dave depend upon his father and does his father live up to the trust Dave puts in him? Explain.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)