|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dave's mother suddenly allow Dave to eat with the family, watch TV, and give him new clothes to wear?
2. Why does Dave's mother give him roller skates for Christmas?
3. Where is Dave driving to after he leaves his view of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
4. What career choice does Dave make as an adult?
5. What does Dave's father do to ease Dave's burden in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize what Dave wants from his life now that he is free in the Epilogue.
2. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
3. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
4. Summarize Mother's reaction when she receives a letter from Mr. Zeigler praising Dave's efforts in school.
5. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
6. Describe Dave's behavior in the classroom one a day during the winter of 1973.
7. How does Dave feel about life in America, as outlined in the Epilogue?
8. Describe the one time Dave had his prayers answered.
9. Summarize the incidents that happen to Dave on the day his mother takes his brothers to the zoo.
10. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the relationship between Dave and his mother.
- How does Dave's father affect Dave's relationship with his mother?
- How does Dave feel about his mother at the end of the book?
- Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different methods Dave uses to obtain food. Cite examples from the book.
- What are Dave's punishments when his mother finds out he has been sneaking food?
- Describe some of the food items Dave eats in order to survive.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Dave's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How does his attitude change toward God?
- How does his attitude change about himself?
- How are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life different from the beginning to the end of the book?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)