|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave dream on the night his stab wound infection is cleaned?
2. What does Dave think about 'the accident' with his mother when he regains consciousness?
3. How does Dave feel about the people around him by Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
4. What does the piece of driftwood in the Epilogue remind Dave of?
5. What is Dave's final thought in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the one time Dave had his prayers answered.
2. Summarize the incidents that happen to Dave on the day his mother takes his brothers to the zoo.
3. Describe where Dave brings his son in the Epilogue and his emotions at that time.
4. Explain what Dave eats after he finished the dishes one day in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer.
5. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
6. Describe why Dave is so fascinated with a piece of driftwood that is washing ashore in the Epilogue.
7. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
8. Describe the actions of Dave's mother when she offers him a plate of food after ten days of not eating.
9. In Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's father vow he will do for Dave someday?
10. As Dave enters fifth grade, what is his frame of mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize the events in the book that lead Dave to calling his mother's house, 'The Madhouse'. Give several examples from the book and describe how these events are considered insane by Dave.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Dave's mother tortures him.
- Describe three of the punishments she inflicts upon Dave.
- Describe how he survives the punishments.
- Analyze his emotional state after the punishments are over.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Dave's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How does his attitude change toward God?
- How does his attitude change about himself?
- How are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life different from the beginning to the end of the book?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)