|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave do when he finds that his stab wound is infected?
2. How often does Dave receive dinner during the summer of 1971?
3. What does Dave come to believe just before he enters the fifth grade?
4. What does Dave manage to do when he is rescued?
5. What is Dave's frame of mind during the summer of 1971?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the incidents that happen to Dave on the day his mother takes his brothers to the zoo.
2. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
3. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
4. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
5. Explain why Dave's mother gives him roller skates for Christmas.
6. Summarize what Dave wants from his life now that he is free in the Epilogue.
7. Explain the new punishment Dave's mother invents for him in Chapter 5, While Father is Away, and how he survives it.
8. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
9. Summarize Russell's attitude toward Dave, as described in Chapter 5, The Accident.
10. How does Dave feel about life in America, as outlined in the Epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dave's relationship with his father.
- How does the relationship change throughout the book? Give examples from the book.
- How does Dave depend upon his father and does his father live up to the trust Dave puts in him? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Dave's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How does his attitude change toward God?
- How does his attitude change about himself?
- How are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life different from the beginning to the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Dave's mother changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How do her attitudes toward her family and Dave in particular change?
- How does her attitude toward Dave's father change?
- What are the differences in her attitude toward the way she takes care of her family, cooking, cleaning, planning vacations, and nurturing change through the course of the book?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)