|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Dave's feelings as he lies on his cot the night he is stabbed?
2. What is Dave thinking as he stands facing the beauty of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
3. What does Dave do to keep from screaming while his stab wound is being cleaned?
4. How does Dave feel as he looks at the rundown cabin where his family used to vacation?
5. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
2. Explain the new punishment Dave's mother invents for him in Chapter 5, While Father is Away, and how he survives it.
3. How does Dave feel about life in America, as outlined in the Epilogue?
4. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
5. Explain what Dave eats after he finished the dishes one day in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer.
6. Describe what Dave does when he finds that his stab wound is infected.
7. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
8. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
9. Summarize Russell's attitude toward Dave, as described in Chapter 5, The Accident.
10. Summarize what Dave wants from his life now that he is free in the Epilogue.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between Dave and his brother, Russell.
- How does Russell have an impact on how Dave's mother treats him?
- What are Russell's feelings toward Dave?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different methods Dave uses to obtain food. Cite examples from the book.
- What are Dave's punishments when his mother finds out he has been sneaking food?
- Describe some of the food items Dave eats in order to survive.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dave's views of the Russian River from the first time the reader is introduced to the vacation spot up to the time he visits it as an adult.
- What are his feelings in the good times?
- How does he feel when the family goes without him?
- Analyze his emotions when he brings his son, Stephen, to the Russian River.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)