|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dave's mother suddenly allow Dave to eat with the family, watch TV, and give him new clothes to wear?
2. When is the only time Dave ever has his prayers answered?
3. What does Dave's father do to ease Dave's burden in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
4. How long does Dave go without food when his father is away?
5. Why does Dave grow to hate his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the one time Dave had his prayers answered.
2. Summarize Mother's reaction when she receives a letter from Mr. Zeigler praising Dave's efforts in school.
3. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
4. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
5. Explain what Dave's mother does after he is stabbed.
6. Describe why Dave is so fascinated with a piece of driftwood that is washing ashore in the Epilogue.
7. Describe what Dave does when he finds that his stab wound is infected.
8. Summarize what Dave wants from his life now that he is free in the Epilogue.
9. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
10. Describe the actions of Dave's mother when she offers him a plate of food after ten days of not eating.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Dave's mother tortures him.
- Describe three of the punishments she inflicts upon Dave.
- Describe how he survives the punishments.
- Analyze his emotional state after the punishments are over.
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the relationship between Dave and his mother.
- How does Dave's father affect Dave's relationship with his mother?
- How does Dave feel about his mother at the end of the book?
- Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the book.
- Choose three events from the story which cause Dave's life to undergo a change.
- How does he react to the events and their effects?
- How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the world?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)