|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dave bring his son at the end of the book?
2. What does Dave manage to do when he is rescued?
3. What is Dave thinking as he looks at his stab wound and sits at the bottom of the stairs?
4. When Dave's mother returns from the zoo, what does she do to him?
5. What does Dave dream on the night his stab wound infection is cleaned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Dave eats after he finished the dishes one day in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer.
2. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
3. Explain the new punishment Dave's mother invents for him in Chapter 5, While Father is Away, and how he survives it.
4. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
5. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
6. Describe the one time Dave had his prayers answered.
7. Summarize what Dave wants from his life now that he is free in the Epilogue.
8. Summarize Russell's attitude toward Dave, as described in Chapter 5, The Accident.
9. Describe why Dave is so fascinated with a piece of driftwood that is washing ashore in the Epilogue.
10. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different methods Dave uses to obtain food. Cite examples from the book.
- What are Dave's punishments when his mother finds out he has been sneaking food?
- Describe some of the food items Dave eats in order to survive.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the treatment Dave receives from his classmates at school. Cite examples from the book.
- Describe the events surrounding the cruel suggestion from some of his classmates that he should commit suicide
Essay Topic 3
Summarize the events in the book that lead Dave to calling his mother's house, 'The Madhouse'. Give several examples from the book and describe how these events are considered insane by Dave.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)