|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave feel about his brothers as he hears them laugh at a TV show while they eat their desserts?
2. Near the end of summer in Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's mother send him to do?
3. What changes about Dave's sleeping habits in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
4. What lie does Dave's mother tell everyone about what Dave did to her while she was pregnant?
5. Why does Dave grow to hate his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe where Dave brings his son in the Epilogue and his emotions at that time.
2. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
3. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
4. Describe why Dave is so fascinated with a piece of driftwood that is washing ashore in the Epilogue.
5. Summarize Russell's attitude toward Dave, as described in Chapter 5, The Accident.
6. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
7. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
8. Describe what Dave does when he finds that his stab wound is infected.
9. How does Dave feel about life in America, as outlined in the Epilogue?
10. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the treatment Dave receives from his classmates at school. Cite examples from the book.
- Describe the events surrounding the cruel suggestion from some of his classmates that he should commit suicide
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Dave's mother and father.
- Summarize the impact each of them has on the other.
- How does their alcoholism play a part in Dave's abuse?
- What do Dave's parents do to amuse themselves when they spend time together?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Dave's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How does his attitude change toward God?
- How does his attitude change about himself?
- How are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life different from the beginning to the end of the book?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)