|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Father's reaction when mother tells him to stop helping Dave in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
2. Which member of the family watches Dave's every move and reports his actions back to his mother?
3. What does Dave's mother tell him to do while she takes his brothers to the zoo?
4. What does Dave do to keep from screaming while his stab wound is being cleaned?
5. How does Dave refer to Mother's house after his father leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dave's behavior in the classroom one a day during the winter of 1973.
2. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
3. Describe why Dave is so fascinated with a piece of driftwood that is washing ashore in the Epilogue.
4. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
5. Describe the actions of Dave's mother when she offers him a plate of food after ten days of not eating.
6. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
7. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
8. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
9. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
10. Explain why Dave's mother gives him roller skates for Christmas.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the book.
- Choose three events from the story which cause Dave's life to undergo a change.
- How does he react to the events and their effects?
- How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the world?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Dave's mother and father.
- Summarize the impact each of them has on the other.
- How does their alcoholism play a part in Dave's abuse?
- What do Dave's parents do to amuse themselves when they spend time together?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the events leading up to the stabbing of Dave in the abdomen by his mother.
- Describe how Dave's mother reacts to the stabbing and what she demands from Dave.
- How does Dave survive the infection from his wound?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)