|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave's mother feel after she stabs him?
2. What does Dave dream on the night his stab wound infection is cleaned?
3. How does Dave feel as he watches the sunset after being stabbed?
4. How does Dave feel about the people around him by Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
5. What does Dave manage to do when he is rescued?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the one time Dave had his prayers answered.
2. Describe where Dave brings his son in the Epilogue and his emotions at that time.
3. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
4. Explain the new punishment Dave's mother invents for him in Chapter 5, While Father is Away, and how he survives it.
5. Explain what Dave's mother does after he is stabbed.
6. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
7. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
8. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
9. Describe what Dave does when he finds that his stab wound is infected.
10. Describe why Dave is so fascinated with a piece of driftwood that is washing ashore in the Epilogue.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dave's views of the Russian River from the first time the reader is introduced to the vacation spot up to the time he visits it as an adult.
- What are his feelings in the good times?
- How does he feel when the family goes without him?
- Analyze his emotions when he brings his son, Stephen, to the Russian River.
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the relationship between Dave and his mother.
- How does Dave's father affect Dave's relationship with his mother?
- How does Dave feel about his mother at the end of the book?
- Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dave's relationship with his father.
- How does the relationship change throughout the book? Give examples from the book.
- How does Dave depend upon his father and does his father live up to the trust Dave puts in him? Explain.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)