|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing Dave wants, even more than food in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
2. When Dave's father leaves for good, what is Dave's reaction?
3. What is the code of Dave's family?
4. What does Dave come to believe just before he enters the fifth grade?
5. What changes about Dave's sleeping habits in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
2. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
3. Explain the new punishment Dave's mother invents for him in Chapter 5, While Father is Away, and how he survives it.
4. Summarize Mother's reaction when she receives a letter from Mr. Zeigler praising Dave's efforts in school.
5. In Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's father vow he will do for Dave someday?
6. Explain what Dave's mother does after he is stabbed.
7. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
8. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
9. Describe what Dave does when he finds that his stab wound is infected.
10. How does Dave feel about life in America, as outlined in the Epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the book.
- Choose three events from the story which cause Dave's life to undergo a change.
- How does he react to the events and their effects?
- How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the world?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Dave's mother and father.
- Summarize the impact each of them has on the other.
- How does their alcoholism play a part in Dave's abuse?
- What do Dave's parents do to amuse themselves when they spend time together?
Essay Topic 3
Write an introduction to the book discussing what the reader should expect in the book. Prepare the reader for the heinous abuse that Dave experiences and how he comes out of it a survivor.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)