|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dave hate more than anyone else?
2. When Dave's father leaves for good, what is Dave's reaction?
3. How does Dave feel about his brothers as he hears them laugh at a TV show while they eat their desserts?
4. When is the only time Dave ever has his prayers answered?
5. What is the secret that Dave learns quickly from his bad situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the actions of Dave's mother when she offers him a plate of food after ten days of not eating.
2. Describe what Dave does when he finds that his stab wound is infected.
3. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
4. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
5. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
6. In Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's father vow he will do for Dave someday?
7. How does Dave feel about life in America, as outlined in the Epilogue?
8. Describe where Dave brings his son in the Epilogue and his emotions at that time.
9. Summarize what Dave wants from his life now that he is free in the Epilogue.
10. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between Dave and his brother, Russell.
- How does Russell have an impact on how Dave's mother treats him?
- What are Russell's feelings toward Dave?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Dave's family celebrates the holidays during the good times.
- Cite examples from the story of how they decorate the house, the gifts that are exchanged, and the foods that are served.
- Compare the holidays in the good times to Dave's holidays as the book progresses.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Dave's mother reveals her coldness and cruelty toward Dave.
- Summarize how her attitude toward Dave reflects the attitudes of the rest of the family. Cite examples from the story.
- How does she brainwash Dave's brothers and father not to acknowledge Dave's abusive situation?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)