|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave's final thought in the book?
2. What is the code of Dave's family?
3. What does Dave think about 'the accident' with his mother when he regains consciousness?
4. What is Dave's frame of mind during the summer of 1971?
5. Which member of the family watches Dave's every move and reports his actions back to his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the people Dave encounters after he is rescued.
2. As Dave enters fifth grade, what is his frame of mind?
3. Summarize the incidents that happen to Dave on the day his mother takes his brothers to the zoo.
4. Explain why Dave's mother gives him roller skates for Christmas.
5. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
6. In Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's father vow he will do for Dave someday?
7. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
8. Summarize what Dave wants from his life now that he is free in the Epilogue.
9. Summarize Russell's attitude toward Dave, as described in Chapter 5, The Accident.
10. Describe Dave's behavior in the classroom one a day during the winter of 1973.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Dave's family celebrates the holidays during the good times.
- Cite examples from the story of how they decorate the house, the gifts that are exchanged, and the foods that are served.
- Compare the holidays in the good times to Dave's holidays as the book progresses.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Dave's mother reveals her coldness and cruelty toward Dave.
- Summarize how her attitude toward Dave reflects the attitudes of the rest of the family. Cite examples from the story.
- How does she brainwash Dave's brothers and father not to acknowledge Dave's abusive situation?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the events leading up to the stabbing of Dave in the abdomen by his mother.
- Describe how Dave's mother reacts to the stabbing and what she demands from Dave.
- How does Dave survive the infection from his wound?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)