|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave's mother do after Dave is stabbed?
2. What does Dave come to believe just before he enters the fifth grade?
3. What happens to Dave in the winter of 1973, while he is in his classroom?
4. When Dave's father leaves for good, what is Dave's reaction?
5. How does Dave's mother feel after she stabs him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the book.
- Choose three events from the story which cause Dave's life to undergo a change.
- How does he react to the events and their effects?
- How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the world?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Dave's mother reveals her coldness and cruelty toward Dave.
- Summarize how her attitude toward Dave reflects the attitudes of the rest of the family. Cite examples from the story.
- How does she brainwash Dave's brothers and father not to acknowledge Dave's abusive situation?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the school officials finally discover Dave's abuse.
- How do they collect the evidence they need to have Dave removed from his home?
- Who is the first person to report the suspected abuse of Dave?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)