|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave come to believe just before he enters the fifth grade?
2. What happens to Dave in the winter of 1973, while he is in his classroom?
3. What new torture does Dave's mother come up with when she sends him to clean the bathroom in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
4. What does Dave's father tell him when Dave goes to him for help after being stabbed?
5. By Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer, how does Dave tolerate physical pain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
2. Describe Dave's behavior in the classroom one a day during the winter of 1973.
3. Explain the new punishment Dave's mother invents for him in Chapter 5, While Father is Away, and how he survives it.
4. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
5. Summarize what Dave wants from his life now that he is free in the Epilogue.
6. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
7. Describe where Dave brings his son in the Epilogue and his emotions at that time.
8. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
9. How does Dave feel about life in America, as outlined in the Epilogue?
10. Describe the one time Dave had his prayers answered.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dave's views of the Russian River from the first time the reader is introduced to the vacation spot up to the time he visits it as an adult.
- What are his feelings in the good times?
- How does he feel when the family goes without him?
- Analyze his emotions when he brings his son, Stephen, to the Russian River.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Dave's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How does his attitude change toward God?
- How does his attitude change about himself?
- How are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life different from the beginning to the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different methods Dave uses to obtain food. Cite examples from the book.
- What are Dave's punishments when his mother finds out he has been sneaking food?
- Describe some of the food items Dave eats in order to survive.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)