|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the only time Dave ever has his prayers answered?
2. What does Dave refuse to do in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer despite how his mother treats him?
3. How many days pass before Dave's stab wound gets infected?
4. What does Dave's father do to ease Dave's burden in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
5. Who is the bully in Dave's school that beats him up whenever he sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
2. Explain what Dave's mother does after he is stabbed.
3. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
4. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
5. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
6. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
7. Describe the actions of Dave's mother when she offers him a plate of food after ten days of not eating.
8. Explain what Dave eats after he finished the dishes one day in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer.
9. Explain the new punishment Dave's mother invents for him in Chapter 5, While Father is Away, and how he survives it.
10. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Dave's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How does his attitude change toward God?
- How does his attitude change about himself?
- How are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life different from the beginning to the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the events leading up to the stabbing of Dave in the abdomen by his mother.
- Describe how Dave's mother reacts to the stabbing and what she demands from Dave.
- How does Dave survive the infection from his wound?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the relationship between Dave and his mother.
- How does Dave's father affect Dave's relationship with his mother?
- How does Dave feel about his mother at the end of the book?
- Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)