|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Dave in the winter of 1973, while he is in his classroom?
2. Who is the leader of a small band of girls that torment Dave?
3. What does Dave's father promise him as they talk quietly together in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
4. What does Dave's fourth grade substitute teacher give to students who do good work?
5. What is Dave's punishment if he looks at one of his brothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Dave enters fifth grade, what is his frame of mind?
2. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
3. Summarize Mother's reaction when she receives a letter from Mr. Zeigler praising Dave's efforts in school.
4. Describe what Dave does when he finds that his stab wound is infected.
5. Describe Dave's behavior in the classroom one a day during the winter of 1973.
6. Describe the people Dave encounters after he is rescued.
7. Summarize the incidents that happen to Dave on the day his mother takes his brothers to the zoo.
8. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
9. Describe where Dave brings his son in the Epilogue and his emotions at that time.
10. How does Dave feel about life in America, as outlined in the Epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between Dave and his brother, Russell.
- How does Russell have an impact on how Dave's mother treats him?
- What are Russell's feelings toward Dave?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the relationship between Dave and his mother.
- How does Dave's father affect Dave's relationship with his mother?
- How does Dave feel about his mother at the end of the book?
- Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Dave's mother and father.
- Summarize the impact each of them has on the other.
- How does their alcoholism play a part in Dave's abuse?
- What do Dave's parents do to amuse themselves when they spend time together?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)