|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Dave driving to after he leaves his view of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
2. What does Dave's mother tell him to do after she changes his bloody clothes in in Chapter 5, The Accident?
3. What lie does Dave's mother tell everyone about what Dave did to her while she was pregnant?
4. What does Dave's father do to ease Dave's burden in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
5. What is Dave thinking as he stands facing the beauty of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Mother's reaction when she receives a letter from Mr. Zeigler praising Dave's efforts in school.
2. Explain why Dave's mother gives him roller skates for Christmas.
3. Explain what Dave's mother does after he is stabbed.
4. Describe the people Dave encounters after he is rescued.
5. As Dave enters fifth grade, what is his frame of mind?
6. Describe the one time Dave had his prayers answered.
7. Explain the new punishment Dave's mother invents for him in Chapter 5, While Father is Away, and how he survives it.
8. Describe where Dave brings his son in the Epilogue and his emotions at that time.
9. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
10. Summarize the incidents that happen to Dave on the day his mother takes his brothers to the zoo.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between Dave and his brother, Russell.
- How does Russell have an impact on how Dave's mother treats him?
- What are Russell's feelings toward Dave?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the book.
- Choose three events from the story which cause Dave's life to undergo a change.
- How does he react to the events and their effects?
- How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the world?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Dave as an adult.
- What does he vow to do with his life now that he is free?
- What has he done with his adult life to escape his past and move on?
- Explain how he prevents himself from falling into the black hole of self-pity.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)