|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dave bring his son at the end of the book?
2. What is the one thing Dave wants, even more than food in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
3. What new torture does Dave's mother come up with when she sends him to clean the bathroom in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
4. What is Dave's final thought in the book?
5. When Dave's mother returns from the zoo, what does she do to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
2. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
3. Summarize Russell's attitude toward Dave, as described in Chapter 5, The Accident.
4. Describe the people Dave encounters after he is rescued.
5. Describe what Dave does when he finds that his stab wound is infected.
6. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
7. How does Dave feel about life in America, as outlined in the Epilogue?
8. Explain the new punishment Dave's mother invents for him in Chapter 5, While Father is Away, and how he survives it.
9. Explain why Dave's mother gives him roller skates for Christmas.
10. Describe Dave's behavior in the classroom one a day during the winter of 1973.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the book.
- Choose three events from the story which cause Dave's life to undergo a change.
- How does he react to the events and their effects?
- How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the world?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Dave's mother changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How do her attitudes toward her family and Dave in particular change?
- How does her attitude toward Dave's father change?
- What are the differences in her attitude toward the way she takes care of her family, cooking, cleaning, planning vacations, and nurturing change through the course of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the events leading up to the stabbing of Dave in the abdomen by his mother.
- Describe how Dave's mother reacts to the stabbing and what she demands from Dave.
- How does Dave survive the infection from his wound?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)