|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Dave and his brothers allowed to do on Christmas Eve in Chapter 2, Good Times?
2. How does Dave feel about telling the story of his injuries in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
3. Why does Dave grow to hate his father more than his mother?
4. What does Dave say happened to his face when he is questioned about the bruises in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
5. How does Dave's relationship with his mother change in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mother's reaction when the principal calls her about Dave's condition in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
2. Summarize the tradition Dave's family follows to prepare for Halloween in Chapter 2, Good Times.
3. Describe the condition of Dave's mother on a typical day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
4. Explain what type of punishment Dave's mother invents for him when she doesn't think the corner treatment is effective anymore.
5. What does the police officer tell Dave as they drive toward the outskirt of Dale City in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
6. Describe how Dave's mother dislocates his shoulder.
7. Many times Dave's mother sends him to search the house for something she has lost. What does she do to him if he forgets what he is looking for?
8. Summarize the punishment Dave's mother inflicts upon him while the family is vacationing at the Russian River, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
9. Describe the Happy Hour that Dave's parents celebrate, as outlined in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
10. Describe the breakfasts Dave usually receives from his mother.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Dave's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How does his attitude change toward God?
- How does his attitude change about himself?
- How are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life different from the beginning to the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the treatment Dave receives from his classmates at school. Cite examples from the book.
- Describe the events surrounding the cruel suggestion from some of his classmates that he should commit suicide
Essay Topic 3
Write an introduction to the book discussing what the reader should expect in the book. Prepare the reader for the heinous abuse that Dave experiences and how he comes out of it a survivor.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)