|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave's mother look on a typical day?
2. When Dave gets home from school one day in Chapter 3, Bad Boy, what does his mother tell him?
3. What does Dave say when people at school ask him the cause of his bruises?
4. How does Dave feel about school in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
5. What does Dave's teacher, Miss Moss, start questioning him about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dave's plan to prevent his mother from making him lie across the gas stove in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
2. Describe the people Dave encounters after he is rescued.
3. What does the police officer tell Dave as they drive toward the outskirt of Dale City in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
4. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
5. Describe the breakfasts Dave usually receives from his mother.
6. Describe what Dave's family does on spring days in Chapter 2, Good Times.
7. By Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, what is his position in the family?
8. Describe the condition of Dave's mother on a typical day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
9. Describe Mother's reaction when the principal calls her about Dave's condition in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
10. Describe the clothes Dave wears to school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Dave's mother changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How do her attitudes toward her family and Dave in particular change?
- How does her attitude toward Dave's father change?
- What are the differences in her attitude toward the way she takes care of her family, cooking, cleaning, planning vacations, and nurturing change through the course of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the relationship between Dave and his mother.
- How does Dave's father affect Dave's relationship with his mother?
- How does Dave feel about his mother at the end of the book?
- Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Dave as an adult.
- What does he vow to do with his life now that he is free?
- What has he done with his adult life to escape his past and move on?
- Explain how he prevents himself from falling into the black hole of self-pity.
This section contains 1,548 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)