|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave's father's reaction to Dave's punishments?
2. How does Dave feel when he is not allowed to go camping?
3. During the good years, when do the holidays begin for Dave's family?
4. What are the contents of the lunch Dave's mother has been making him every day for three years?
5. What is the rare thing Dave's mother does when he finishes eating in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dave's mother tell the doctor when she dislocates his shoulder?
2. Summarize the punishment Dave's mother inflicts upon him while the family is vacationing at the Russian River, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
3. Describe how Dave's mother decorates the house for Christmas in Chapter 2, Good Times.
4. What does the police officer tell Dave as they drive toward the outskirt of Dale City in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
5. Many times Dave's mother sends him to search the house for something she has lost. What does she do to him if he forgets what he is looking for?
6. By Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, what is his position in the family?
7. Discuss why Dave does not mind having to run to school.
8. Describe the breakfasts Dave usually receives from his mother.
9. Explain what type of punishment Dave's mother invents for him when she doesn't think the corner treatment is effective anymore.
10. Describe the clothes Dave wears to school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dave's relationship with his father.
- How does the relationship change throughout the book? Give examples from the book.
- How does Dave depend upon his father and does his father live up to the trust Dave puts in him? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Summarize the events in the book that lead Dave to calling his mother's house, 'The Madhouse'. Give several examples from the book and describe how these events are considered insane by Dave.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Dave's coming of age throughout the story.
- What fears and emotions does he experience as he experiences more and more abuse from his mother?
- How do his attitudes change as he develops from a young boy into an adult?
- Cite examples of the changes Dave goes through from the good times in the story through his abuse and his rescue.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)