|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave's teacher, Miss Moss, start questioning him about?
2. Where does Dave have to go while the rest of the family goes camping?
3. What are the contents of the lunch Dave's mother has been making him every day for three years?
4. What does Dave's mother proceed to do after she announces to her children that she is sick Chapter 2, Good Times?
5. When Dave is called back to the office from his classroom in Chapter 1, The Rescue, who is there to see him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the clothes Dave wears to school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
2. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
3. Explain why the Russian River is Dave's favorite vacation spot in Chapter 2, Good Times.
4. What does the police officer tell Dave as they drive toward the outskirt of Dale City in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
5. Describe what Dave does when he finds that his stab wound is infected.
6. Describe the Happy Hour that Dave's parents celebrate, as outlined in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
7. What does Dave decide to do when he can no longer steal food from school?
8. Summarize Mother's reaction when she receives a letter from Mr. Zeigler praising Dave's efforts in school.
9. Describe Dave's plan to prevent his mother from making him lie across the gas stove in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
10. Describe the one time Dave had his prayers answered.
Essay Topic 1
Write an introduction to the book discussing what the reader should expect in the book. Prepare the reader for the heinous abuse that Dave experiences and how he comes out of it a survivor.
Essay Topic 2
Dave is abused constantly throughout the book.
- How does Dave's mother manage to keep her abuse of Dave a secret? Cite examples from the book.
- What does she tell the principal of Dave's school when he calls to ask about Dave's condition?
- How do the authorities finally find out the truth about Dave's abuse?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dave's relationship with his father.
- How does the relationship change throughout the book? Give examples from the book.
- How does Dave depend upon his father and does his father live up to the trust Dave puts in him? Explain.
This section contains 1,640 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)