|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dave compare his family to before the abuse started?
2. What new punishment does Dave's mother invent for him in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
3. How does Dave feel when he is not allowed to go camping?
4. For what reason does Dave think he has been called into the principal's office in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
5. Beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy, what does Dave's mother do on the days his father is away at work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the punishment Dave's mother inflicts upon him while the family is vacationing at the Russian River, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
2. Describe how Dave's mother dislocates his shoulder.
3. What does Dave decide to do when he can no longer steal food from school?
4. Describe Dave's family life before the abuse starts.
5. Describe what Dave's mother does one day when she is sick in Chapter 2, Good Times.
6. Describe the breakfasts Dave usually receives from his mother.
7. Describe Mother's reaction when the principal calls her about Dave's condition in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
8. Explain why Dave is so anxious about finishing the dishes on time in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
9. Describe the clothes Dave wears to school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
10. By Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, what is his position in the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the treatment Dave receives from his classmates at school. Cite examples from the book.
- Describe the events surrounding the cruel suggestion from some of his classmates that he should commit suicide
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the events leading up to the stabbing of Dave in the abdomen by his mother.
- Describe how Dave's mother reacts to the stabbing and what she demands from Dave.
- How does Dave survive the infection from his wound?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Dave's mother tortures him.
- Describe three of the punishments she inflicts upon Dave.
- Describe how he survives the punishments.
- Analyze his emotional state after the punishments are over.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)