|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Dave and his family like to do in the springtime in Chapter 2, Good Times?
2. What kind of pets does Dave's family have Chapter 2, Good Times?
3. When does Dave's mother start decorating for the Christmas holidays in Chapter 2, Good Times?
4. What does Dave's mother tell the principal in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
5. What is the name of Dave's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the dramatic lesson Dave's mother teaches the boys on a Sunday afternoon in Chapter 2, Good Times.
2. Many times Dave's mother sends him to search the house for something she has lost. What does she do to him if he forgets what he is looking for?
3. Summarize the change that takes place in Dave's relationship with his mother in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
4. Describe Dave's family life before the abuse starts.
5. Summarize the punishment Dave's mother inflicts upon him while the family is vacationing at the Russian River, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
6. Describe what Dave's family does on spring days in Chapter 2, Good Times.
7. Describe the Happy Hour that Dave's parents celebrate, as outlined in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
8. By Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, what is his position in the family?
9. Describe Dave's plan to prevent his mother from making him lie across the gas stove in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
10. Describe how Dave's mother decorates the house for Christmas in Chapter 2, Good Times.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different methods Dave uses to obtain food. Cite examples from the book.
- What are Dave's punishments when his mother finds out he has been sneaking food?
- Describe some of the food items Dave eats in order to survive.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationship between Dave and his brother, Russell.
- How does Russell have an impact on how Dave's mother treats him?
- What are Russell's feelings toward Dave?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the book.
- Choose three events from the story which cause Dave's life to undergo a change.
- How does he react to the events and their effects?
- How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the world?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)