|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dave's mother receives the phone call from the authorities in Chapter 1, The Rescue, what is she told?
2. How does Dave's mother refer to him by in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
3. Who checks for new injuries on Dave every morning before school starts?
4. How does Dave do with his school work in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
5. Beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy, who becomes Dave's protector?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Dave is so anxious about finishing the dishes on time in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
2. As shared in Chapter 2, The Good Times, what is the family tradition about placing the angel on top of the Christmas tree?
3. Describe the condition of Dave's mother on a typical day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
4. Describe the Happy Hour that Dave's parents celebrate, as outlined in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
5. Describe what Dave's mother does one day when she is sick in Chapter 2, Good Times.
6. By Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, what is his position in the family?
7. Describe how Dave's mother decorates the house for Christmas in Chapter 2, Good Times.
8. Summarize the tradition Dave's family follows to prepare for Halloween in Chapter 2, Good Times.
9. Explain why the Russian River is Dave's favorite vacation spot in Chapter 2, Good Times.
10. Explain how Dave manages to get food at school in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the events leading up to the stabbing of Dave in the abdomen by his mother.
- Describe how Dave's mother reacts to the stabbing and what she demands from Dave.
- How does Dave survive the infection from his wound?
Essay Topic 2
Dave is abused constantly throughout the book.
- How does Dave's mother manage to keep her abuse of Dave a secret? Cite examples from the book.
- What does she tell the principal of Dave's school when he calls to ask about Dave's condition?
- How do the authorities finally find out the truth about Dave's abuse?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the relationship between Dave and his mother.
- How does Dave's father affect Dave's relationship with his mother?
- How does Dave feel about his mother at the end of the book?
- Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)