|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave's mother's reaction when she receives a call from the principal about Dave's condition in in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
2. What do all the students in Dave's class do when he returns to the classroom in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
3. Dave's mother pushes her finger down his throat, forcing him to vomit up the frozen food he stole at school. What does she do then?
4. In Chapter 3, Bad Boy, what do Dave's parents do from 3 p.m. until bedtime when his father is not working?
5. What are most of Dave's parent's arguments about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Happy Hour that Dave's parents celebrate, as outlined in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
2. Explain what type of punishment Dave's mother invents for him when she doesn't think the corner treatment is effective anymore.
3. Describe the condition of Dave's mother on a typical day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
4. Summarize Dave's father's reaction to Dave's punishments, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
5. Summarize the punishment Dave's mother inflicts upon him while the family is vacationing at the Russian River, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
6. Describe Dave's family life before the abuse starts.
7. Explain why Dave is so anxious about finishing the dishes on time in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
8. Describe how Dave's mother dislocates his shoulder.
9. Explain why the Russian River is Dave's favorite vacation spot in Chapter 2, Good Times.
10. Describe Dave's plan to prevent his mother from making him lie across the gas stove in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the relationship between Dave and his mother.
- How does Dave's father affect Dave's relationship with his mother?
- How does Dave feel about his mother at the end of the book?
- Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Dave's mother changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How do her attitudes toward her family and Dave in particular change?
- How does her attitude toward Dave's father change?
- What are the differences in her attitude toward the way she takes care of her family, cooking, cleaning, planning vacations, and nurturing change through the course of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the treatment Dave receives from his classmates at school. Cite examples from the book.
- Describe the events surrounding the cruel suggestion from some of his classmates that he should commit suicide
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)