|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave's mother force him to drink that burns the flesh from his mouth?
2. What nickname does Dave's father use for him?
3. Where do Dave and his family usually go for summer vacations in Chapter 2, Good Times?
4. How does Dave feel about school in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
5. Dave's mother pushes her finger down his throat, forcing him to vomit up the frozen food he stole at school. What does she do then?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Dave does when he finds that his stab wound is infected.
2. What does the police officer tell Dave as they drive toward the outskirt of Dale City in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
3. Describe the types of inquiries Miss Moss starts to ask Dave in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
4. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
5. Describe the Happy Hour that Dave's parents celebrate, as outlined in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
6. Explain why the Russian River is Dave's favorite vacation spot in Chapter 2, Good Times.
7. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
8. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
9. Describe what Dave's mother does on the days his father is at work, beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
10. Describe Dave's family life before the abuse starts.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dave is abused constantly throughout the book.
- How does Dave's mother manage to keep her abuse of Dave a secret? Cite examples from the book.
- What does she tell the principal of Dave's school when he calls to ask about Dave's condition?
- How do the authorities finally find out the truth about Dave's abuse?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Dave's mother changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How do her attitudes toward her family and Dave in particular change?
- How does her attitude toward Dave's father change?
- What are the differences in her attitude toward the way she takes care of her family, cooking, cleaning, planning vacations, and nurturing change through the course of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Dave's coming of age throughout the story.
- What fears and emotions does he experience as he experiences more and more abuse from his mother?
- How do his attitudes change as he develops from a young boy into an adult?
- Cite examples of the changes Dave goes through from the good times in the story through his abuse and his rescue.
This section contains 1,560 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)