|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning, how does Dave find out if he can come out of his room to play?
2. What does Dave say happened to his face when he is questioned about the bruises in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
3. After the chair incident, what does Dave's mother tell the doctor and Dave's father happened to Dave?
4. How does Dave feel about telling the story of his injuries in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
5. Who does Dave compare his family to before the abuse started?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
2. Describe the lunch Dave has been taking to school for the past three years in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
3. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
4. Explain why the Russian River is Dave's favorite vacation spot in Chapter 2, Good Times.
5. Describe what Dave does when he finds that his stab wound is infected.
6. How does Dave feel about life in America, as outlined in the Epilogue?
7. Describe the Happy Hour that Dave's parents celebrate, as outlined in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
8. Explain what the school requires Dave to do before school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
9. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
10. Describe the condition of Dave's mother on a typical day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between Dave and his brother, Russell.
- How does Russell have an impact on how Dave's mother treats him?
- What are Russell's feelings toward Dave?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the school officials finally discover Dave's abuse.
- How do they collect the evidence they need to have Dave removed from his home?
- Who is the first person to report the suspected abuse of Dave?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the book.
- Choose three events from the story which cause Dave's life to undergo a change.
- How does he react to the events and their effects?
- How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the world?
This section contains 1,594 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)