|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave's mother treat the other children who come to the house for Cub Scout meetings?
2. During the good years, when do the holidays begin for Dave's family?
3. What does Dave's mother proceed to do after she announces to her children that she is sick Chapter 2, Good Times?
4. Why is Dave afraid to give his mother's phone number to the authorities?
5. Beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy, what does Dave's mother do on the days his father is away at work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Dave's mother does on the days his father is at work, beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
2. Explain why Dave is so anxious about finishing the dishes on time in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
3. Explain the dramatic lesson Dave's mother teaches the boys on a Sunday afternoon in Chapter 2, Good Times.
4. As shared in Chapter 2, The Good Times, what is the family tradition about placing the angel on top of the Christmas tree?
5. Describe the clothes Dave wears to school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
6. Describe Mother's reaction when the principal calls her about Dave's condition in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
7. Summarize the change that takes place in Dave's relationship with his mother in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
8. Describe Dave's family life before the abuse starts.
9. Explain what the school requires Dave to do before school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
10. Describe what Dave's mother does one day when she is sick in Chapter 2, Good Times.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the treatment Dave receives from his classmates at school. Cite examples from the book.
- Describe the events surrounding the cruel suggestion from some of his classmates that he should commit suicide
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dave's relationship with his father.
- How does the relationship change throughout the book? Give examples from the book.
- How does Dave depend upon his father and does his father live up to the trust Dave puts in him? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Dave's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How does his attitude change toward God?
- How does his attitude change about himself?
- How are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life different from the beginning to the end of the book?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)