Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave's mother look on a typical day?
2. When Dave gets home from school one day in Chapter 3, Bad Boy, what does his mother tell him?
3. What does Dave say when people at school ask him the cause of his bruises?
4. How does Dave feel about school in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
5. What does Dave's teacher, Miss Moss, start questioning him about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dave's plan to prevent his mother from making him lie across the gas stove in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
2. Describe the people Dave encounters after he is rescued.
3. What does the police officer tell Dave as they drive toward the outskirt of Dale City in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
4. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
5. Describe the breakfasts Dave usually receives from his mother.
6. Describe what Dave's family does on spring days in Chapter 2, Good Times.
7. By Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, what is his position in the family?
8. Describe the condition of Dave's mother on a typical day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
9. Describe Mother's reaction when the principal calls her about Dave's condition in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
10. Describe the clothes Dave wears to school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the relationship between Dave and his mother.
- How does Dave's father affect Dave's relationship with his mother?
- How does Dave feel about his mother at the end of the book?
- Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Dave's mother and father.
- Summarize the impact each of them has on the other.
- How does their alcoholism play a part in Dave's abuse?
- What do Dave's parents do to amuse themselves when they spend time together?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Dave's coming of age throughout the story.
- What fears and emotions does he experience as he experiences more and more abuse from his mother?
- How do his attitudes change as he develops from a young boy into an adult?
- Cite examples of the changes Dave goes through from the good times in the story through his abuse and his rescue.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)