|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dave want to finish washing the dishes as quickly as possible in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
2. What is Dave's mother's reaction when she finds out he has been stealing lunches at school?
3. What is the rare thing Dave's mother does when he finishes eating in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
4. When Dave is called back to the office from his classroom in Chapter 1, The Rescue, who is there to see him?
5. What does Dave's teacher, Miss Moss, start questioning him about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what type of punishment Dave's mother invents for him when she doesn't think the corner treatment is effective anymore.
2. As shared in Chapter 2, The Good Times, what is the family tradition about placing the angel on top of the Christmas tree?
3. Describe the lunch Dave has been taking to school for the past three years in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
4. What does Dave decide to do when he can no longer steal food from school?
5. Explain what the school requires Dave to do before school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
6. Summarize the tradition Dave's family follows to prepare for Halloween in Chapter 2, Good Times.
7. Summarize the change that takes place in Dave's relationship with his mother in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
8. Many times Dave's mother sends him to search the house for something she has lost. What does she do to him if he forgets what he is looking for?
9. Describe the Happy Hour that Dave's parents celebrate, as outlined in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
10. What does Dave's mother tell the doctor when she dislocates his shoulder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dave's views of the Russian River from the first time the reader is introduced to the vacation spot up to the time he visits it as an adult.
- What are his feelings in the good times?
- How does he feel when the family goes without him?
- Analyze his emotions when he brings his son, Stephen, to the Russian River.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Dave's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How does his attitude change toward God?
- How does his attitude change about himself?
- How are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life different from the beginning to the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the book.
- Choose three events from the story which cause Dave's life to undergo a change.
- How does he react to the events and their effects?
- How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the world?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)