|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave's mother look on a typical day?
2. Why does Dave's mother push his face into the counter in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
3. What is Dave's punishment after the camping trip is over?
4. What are the contents of the lunch Dave's mother has been making him every day for three years?
5. What does Dave's mother teach him in a small trenched hole at the Russian River?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mother's reaction when the principal calls her about Dave's condition in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
2. Describe how Dave's mother dislocates his shoulder.
3. Summarize Dave's father's reaction to Dave's punishments, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
4. Explain why the Russian River is Dave's favorite vacation spot in Chapter 2, Good Times.
5. Summarize the punishment Dave's mother inflicts upon him while the family is vacationing at the Russian River, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
6. Describe the two excuses Dave makes in Chapter 1, The Rescue, to explain how he got the bruises on his face.
7. Describe Dave's plan to prevent his mother from making him lie across the gas stove in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
8. Summarize the tradition Dave's family follows to prepare for Halloween in Chapter 2, Good Times.
9. Summarize the change that takes place in Dave's relationship with his mother in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
10. Describe what Dave's family does on spring days in Chapter 2, Good Times.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dave is abused constantly throughout the book.
- How does Dave's mother manage to keep her abuse of Dave a secret? Cite examples from the book.
- What does she tell the principal of Dave's school when he calls to ask about Dave's condition?
- How do the authorities finally find out the truth about Dave's abuse?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Dave's family celebrates the holidays during the good times.
- Cite examples from the story of how they decorate the house, the gifts that are exchanged, and the foods that are served.
- Compare the holidays in the good times to Dave's holidays as the book progresses.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Dave as an adult.
- What does he vow to do with his life now that he is free?
- What has he done with his adult life to escape his past and move on?
- Explain how he prevents himself from falling into the black hole of self-pity.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)