|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave save himself from being forced to lie across the stove?
2. What does Dave make sure that everyone knows about the scar on his chest?
3. When Dave gets home from school one day in Chapter 3, Bad Boy, what does his mother tell him?
4. What does the principal give to Dave after the meeting in his office?
5. What is Dave's plan when he cannot steal food from school anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
2. As shared in Chapter 2, The Good Times, what is the family tradition about placing the angel on top of the Christmas tree?
3. Describe what Dave's family does on spring days in Chapter 2, Good Times.
4. Explain how Dave manages to get food at school in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
5. What does Dave's mother tell the doctor when she dislocates his shoulder?
6. Describe what Dave's mother does one day when she is sick in Chapter 2, Good Times.
7. Describe where Dave brings his son in the Epilogue and his emotions at that time.
8. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
9. Summarize Mother's reaction when she receives a letter from Mr. Zeigler praising Dave's efforts in school.
10. Summarize Dave's father's reaction to Dave's punishments, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Dave's mother tortures him.
- Describe three of the punishments she inflicts upon Dave.
- Describe how he survives the punishments.
- Analyze his emotional state after the punishments are over.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Dave's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How does his attitude change toward God?
- How does his attitude change about himself?
- How are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life different from the beginning to the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize the events in the book that lead Dave to calling his mother's house, 'The Madhouse'. Give several examples from the book and describe how these events are considered insane by Dave.
This section contains 1,604 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)