|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave's punishment after the camping trip is over?
2. Chapter 2, Good Times, who is in command of all family matters in Dave's household?
3. What does Dave's teacher, Miss Moss, start questioning him about?
4. What does Dave's mother proceed to do after she announces to her children that she is sick Chapter 2, Good Times?
5. What does Dave's mother explain to her children while their cat is having kittens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Dave's mother dislocates his shoulder.
2. Summarize the tradition Dave's family follows to prepare for Halloween in Chapter 2, Good Times.
3. Describe the breakfasts Dave usually receives from his mother.
4. Describe Dave's family life before the abuse starts.
5. Explain what the school requires Dave to do before school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
6. Discuss why Dave does not mind having to run to school.
7. What does the police officer tell Dave as they drive toward the outskirt of Dale City in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
8. As shared in Chapter 2, The Good Times, what is the family tradition about placing the angel on top of the Christmas tree?
9. Describe the clothes Dave wears to school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
10. Explain why Dave is so anxious about finishing the dishes on time in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Dave as an adult.
- What does he vow to do with his life now that he is free?
- What has he done with his adult life to escape his past and move on?
- Explain how he prevents himself from falling into the black hole of self-pity.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Dave's family celebrates the holidays during the good times.
- Cite examples from the story of how they decorate the house, the gifts that are exchanged, and the foods that are served.
- Compare the holidays in the good times to Dave's holidays as the book progresses.
Essay Topic 3
Dave is abused constantly throughout the book.
- How does Dave's mother manage to keep her abuse of Dave a secret? Cite examples from the book.
- What does she tell the principal of Dave's school when he calls to ask about Dave's condition?
- How do the authorities finally find out the truth about Dave's abuse?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)