|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Good Times, when does Dave's mom hug him, giving him a feeling of warmth and safety?
2. What does Dave say when people at school ask him the cause of his bruises?
3. What kind of pets does Dave's family have Chapter 2, Good Times?
4. What is the name of Dave's father?
5. What is Dave's plan when he cannot steal food from school anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Dave's mother does on the days his father is at work, beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
2. By Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, what is his position in the family?
3. Describe the condition of Dave's mother on a typical day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
4. Describe how Dave's mother dislocates his shoulder.
5. Summarize Dave's father's reaction to Dave's punishments, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
6. Describe the breakfasts Dave usually receives from his mother.
7. Explain why Dave is so anxious about finishing the dishes on time in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
8. Summarize the punishment Dave's mother inflicts upon him while the family is vacationing at the Russian River, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
9. Describe the types of inquiries Miss Moss starts to ask Dave in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
10. What does Dave decide to do when he can no longer steal food from school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the events leading up to the stabbing of Dave in the abdomen by his mother.
- Describe how Dave's mother reacts to the stabbing and what she demands from Dave.
- How does Dave survive the infection from his wound?
Essay Topic 2
Dave is abused constantly throughout the book.
- How does Dave's mother manage to keep her abuse of Dave a secret? Cite examples from the book.
- What does she tell the principal of Dave's school when he calls to ask about Dave's condition?
- How do the authorities finally find out the truth about Dave's abuse?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Dave's coming of age throughout the story.
- What fears and emotions does he experience as he experiences more and more abuse from his mother?
- How do his attitudes change as he develops from a young boy into an adult?
- Cite examples of the changes Dave goes through from the good times in the story through his abuse and his rescue.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)