|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dave grow to hate his father more than his mother?
2. How does Dave feel about school in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
3. What does Dave's mother teach him in a small trenched hole at the Russian River?
4. What is Dave's favorite place in the world to go during vacation, according to Chapter 2, Good Times?
5. What do Dave and his family like to do in the springtime in Chapter 2, Good Times?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the change that takes place in Dave's relationship with his mother in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
2. What does Dave decide to do when he can no longer steal food from school?
3. Explain what type of punishment Dave's mother invents for him when she doesn't think the corner treatment is effective anymore.
4. Explain what the school requires Dave to do before school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
5. Explain how Dave manages to get food at school in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
6. Describe the two excuses Dave makes in Chapter 1, The Rescue, to explain how he got the bruises on his face.
7. Describe Dave's plan to prevent his mother from making him lie across the gas stove in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
8. Describe what Dave's mother does on the days his father is at work, beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
9. Summarize the punishment Dave's mother inflicts upon him while the family is vacationing at the Russian River, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
10. Explain why the Russian River is Dave's favorite vacation spot in Chapter 2, Good Times.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dave is abused constantly throughout the book.
- How does Dave's mother manage to keep her abuse of Dave a secret? Cite examples from the book.
- What does she tell the principal of Dave's school when he calls to ask about Dave's condition?
- How do the authorities finally find out the truth about Dave's abuse?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Dave's mother tortures him.
- Describe three of the punishments she inflicts upon Dave.
- Describe how he survives the punishments.
- Analyze his emotional state after the punishments are over.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Dave's mother reveals her coldness and cruelty toward Dave.
- Summarize how her attitude toward Dave reflects the attitudes of the rest of the family. Cite examples from the story.
- How does she brainwash Dave's brothers and father not to acknowledge Dave's abusive situation?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)