|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the chair incident, what does Dave's mother tell the doctor and Dave's father happened to Dave?
2. What kind of a housekeeper is Dave's mother during the good times?
3. In Chapter 3, Bad Boy, what do Dave's parents do from 3 p.m. until bedtime when his father is not working?
4. How does Dave eventually get food at home in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
5. What is Dave's favorite place in the world to go during vacation, according to Chapter 2, Good Times?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Dave manages to get food at school in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
2. Describe the types of inquiries Miss Moss starts to ask Dave in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
3. Describe the lunch Dave has been taking to school for the past three years in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
4. By Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, what is his position in the family?
5. Discuss why Dave does not mind having to run to school.
6. Explain why the Russian River is Dave's favorite vacation spot in Chapter 2, Good Times.
7. Describe Dave's family life before the abuse starts.
8. Summarize the tradition Dave's family follows to prepare for Halloween in Chapter 2, Good Times.
9. Describe what Dave's mother does on the days his father is at work, beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
10. Summarize Dave's father's reaction to Dave's punishments, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different methods Dave uses to obtain food. Cite examples from the book.
- What are Dave's punishments when his mother finds out he has been sneaking food?
- Describe some of the food items Dave eats in order to survive.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the treatment Dave receives from his classmates at school. Cite examples from the book.
- Describe the events surrounding the cruel suggestion from some of his classmates that he should commit suicide
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Dave's mother tortures him.
- Describe three of the punishments she inflicts upon Dave.
- Describe how he survives the punishments.
- Analyze his emotional state after the punishments are over.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)