|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Dave and his brothers allowed to do on Christmas Eve in Chapter 2, Good Times?
2. In the beginning, how does Dave find out if he can come out of his room to play?
3. What is the favorite thing Dave's mother does for her family Chapter 2, Good Times?
4. How does Dave find food after being confined in the garage for hours in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
5. What is the name of Dave's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss why Dave does not mind having to run to school.
2. Summarize the punishment Dave's mother inflicts upon him while the family is vacationing at the Russian River, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
3. Describe the Happy Hour that Dave's parents celebrate, as outlined in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
4. As shared in Chapter 2, The Good Times, what is the family tradition about placing the angel on top of the Christmas tree?
5. Describe the lunch Dave has been taking to school for the past three years in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
6. Many times Dave's mother sends him to search the house for something she has lost. What does she do to him if he forgets what he is looking for?
7. Describe what Dave's mother does on the days his father is at work, beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
8. Describe the clothes Dave wears to school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
9. Describe Mother's reaction when the principal calls her about Dave's condition in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
10. Summarize the change that takes place in Dave's relationship with his mother in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the book.
- Choose three events from the story which cause Dave's life to undergo a change.
- How does he react to the events and their effects?
- How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the world?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the events leading up to the stabbing of Dave in the abdomen by his mother.
- Describe how Dave's mother reacts to the stabbing and what she demands from Dave.
- How does Dave survive the infection from his wound?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dave's relationship with his father.
- How does the relationship change throughout the book? Give examples from the book.
- How does Dave depend upon his father and does his father live up to the trust Dave puts in him? Explain.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)