|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave say happened to his face when he is questioned about the bruises in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
2. How does Dave manage to steal food from his classmates?
3. What does Dave's mother force him to drink that burns the flesh from his mouth?
4. How does Dave's relationship with his mother change in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
5. When Dave gets home from school one day in Chapter 3, Bad Boy, what does his mother tell him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the breakfasts Dave usually receives from his mother.
2. Describe how Dave's mother dislocates his shoulder.
3. Describe how Dave's mother decorates the house for Christmas in Chapter 2, Good Times.
4. Explain why the Russian River is Dave's favorite vacation spot in Chapter 2, Good Times.
5. Explain how Dave manages to get food at school in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
6. Describe the condition of Dave's mother on a typical day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
7. Describe the two excuses Dave makes in Chapter 1, The Rescue, to explain how he got the bruises on his face.
8. What does Dave decide to do when he can no longer steal food from school?
9. Discuss why Dave does not mind having to run to school.
10. Explain what type of punishment Dave's mother invents for him when she doesn't think the corner treatment is effective anymore.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Dave's coming of age throughout the story.
- What fears and emotions does he experience as he experiences more and more abuse from his mother?
- How do his attitudes change as he develops from a young boy into an adult?
- Cite examples of the changes Dave goes through from the good times in the story through his abuse and his rescue.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different methods Dave uses to obtain food. Cite examples from the book.
- What are Dave's punishments when his mother finds out he has been sneaking food?
- Describe some of the food items Dave eats in order to survive.
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the book.
- Choose three events from the story which cause Dave's life to undergo a change.
- How does he react to the events and their effects?
- How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the world?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)