|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave's mother surprise him after he finishes washing the dishes in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
2. What does Dave's teacher, Miss Moss, start questioning him about?
3. What does Dave's father eventually do when he keeps losing the arguments with his wife?
4. What kind of pets does Dave's family have Chapter 2, Good Times?
5. What is the disgusting punishment Dave's mother invents for him when the family is vacationing at the Russian River in in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
2. Describe the two excuses Dave makes in Chapter 1, The Rescue, to explain how he got the bruises on his face.
3. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
4. Describe Dave's behavior in the classroom one a day during the winter of 1973.
5. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
6. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
7. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
8. Summarize the tradition Dave's family follows to prepare for Halloween in Chapter 2, Good Times.
9. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
10. Describe the actions of Dave's mother when she offers him a plate of food after ten days of not eating.
Essay Topic 1
Dave is abused constantly throughout the book.
- How does Dave's mother manage to keep her abuse of Dave a secret? Cite examples from the book.
- What does she tell the principal of Dave's school when he calls to ask about Dave's condition?
- How do the authorities finally find out the truth about Dave's abuse?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the book.
- Choose three events from the story which cause Dave's life to undergo a change.
- How does he react to the events and their effects?
- How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the world?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Dave's family celebrates the holidays during the good times.
- Cite examples from the story of how they decorate the house, the gifts that are exchanged, and the foods that are served.
- Compare the holidays in the good times to Dave's holidays as the book progresses.
This section contains 1,651 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)