|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dave grow to hate his father more than his mother?
2. What is the rare thing Dave's mother does when he finishes eating in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
3. What is the disgusting punishment Dave's mother invents for him when the family is vacationing at the Russian River in in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
4. What nickname does Dave's father use for him?
5. What does Dave fantasize about as he lies in bed at night in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the change that takes place in Dave's relationship with his mother in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
2. Describe Dave's family life before the abuse starts.
3. Many times Dave's mother sends him to search the house for something she has lost. What does she do to him if he forgets what he is looking for?
4. Describe the clothes Dave wears to school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
5. Describe Dave's plan to prevent his mother from making him lie across the gas stove in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
6. Summarize the tradition Dave's family follows to prepare for Halloween in Chapter 2, Good Times.
7. Explain how Dave manages to get food at school in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
8. Describe the types of inquiries Miss Moss starts to ask Dave in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
9. Explain the dramatic lesson Dave's mother teaches the boys on a Sunday afternoon in Chapter 2, Good Times.
10. Describe the lunch Dave has been taking to school for the past three years in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize the events in the book that lead Dave to calling his mother's house, 'The Madhouse'. Give several examples from the book and describe how these events are considered insane by Dave.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the treatment Dave receives from his classmates at school. Cite examples from the book.
- Describe the events surrounding the cruel suggestion from some of his classmates that he should commit suicide
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Dave as an adult.
- What does he vow to do with his life now that he is free?
- What has he done with his adult life to escape his past and move on?
- Explain how he prevents himself from falling into the black hole of self-pity.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)