|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 2, Good Times, who is in command of all family matters in Dave's household?
2. Beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy, what does Dave's mother do on the days his father is away at work?
3. How does Dave save himself from being forced to lie across the stove?
4. Dave's mother pushes her finger down his throat, forcing him to vomit up the frozen food he stole at school. What does she do then?
5. Where does Dave's mother have him sleep on the night of the chair incident?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the condition of Dave's mother on a typical day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
2. Summarize the change that takes place in Dave's relationship with his mother in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
3. Explain what the school requires Dave to do before school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
4. What does Dave decide to do when he can no longer steal food from school?
5. Summarize the tradition Dave's family follows to prepare for Halloween in Chapter 2, Good Times.
6. Describe the two excuses Dave makes in Chapter 1, The Rescue, to explain how he got the bruises on his face.
7. What does the police officer tell Dave as they drive toward the outskirt of Dale City in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
8. Describe how Dave's mother dislocates his shoulder.
9. Describe the Happy Hour that Dave's parents celebrate, as outlined in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
10. Describe the clothes Dave wears to school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Dave as an adult.
- What does he vow to do with his life now that he is free?
- What has he done with his adult life to escape his past and move on?
- Explain how he prevents himself from falling into the black hole of self-pity.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dave's relationship with his father.
- How does the relationship change throughout the book? Give examples from the book.
- How does Dave depend upon his father and does his father live up to the trust Dave puts in him? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Dave's coming of age throughout the story.
- What fears and emotions does he experience as he experiences more and more abuse from his mother?
- How do his attitudes change as he develops from a young boy into an adult?
- Cite examples of the changes Dave goes through from the good times in the story through his abuse and his rescue.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)