Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave's mother look on a typical day?
2. When Dave gets home from school one day in Chapter 3, Bad Boy, what does his mother tell him?
3. What does Dave say when people at school ask him the cause of his bruises?
4. How does Dave feel about school in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
5. What does Dave's teacher, Miss Moss, start questioning him about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dave's plan to prevent his mother from making him lie across the gas stove in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
2. Describe the people Dave encounters after he is rescued.
3. What does the police officer tell Dave as they drive toward the outskirt of Dale City in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
4. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
5. Describe the breakfasts Dave usually receives from his mother.
6. Describe what Dave's family does on spring days in Chapter 2, Good Times.
7. By Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, what is his position in the family?
8. Describe the condition of Dave's mother on a typical day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
9. Describe Mother's reaction when the principal calls her about Dave's condition in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
10. Describe the clothes Dave wears to school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Dave's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How does his attitude change toward God?
- How does his attitude change about himself?
- How are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life different from the beginning to the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the book.
- Choose three events from the story which cause Dave's life to undergo a change.
- How does he react to the events and their effects?
- How does he change emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the world?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Dave's mother and father.
- Summarize the impact each of them has on the other.
- How does their alcoholism play a part in Dave's abuse?
- What do Dave's parents do to amuse themselves when they spend time together?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)