|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dave want to finish washing the dishes as quickly as possible in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
2. What does Dave's mother explain to her children while their cat is having kittens?
3. What is Dave's mother's favorite weapon against him?
4. Why does Dave's mother push his face into the counter in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
5. Why does Dave's mother burn his arm on the gas stove?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Dave's family does on spring days in Chapter 2, Good Times.
2. Many times Dave's mother sends him to search the house for something she has lost. What does she do to him if he forgets what he is looking for?
3. Summarize the tradition Dave's family follows to prepare for Halloween in Chapter 2, Good Times.
4. Explain why Dave is so anxious about finishing the dishes on time in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
5. Describe Dave's plan to prevent his mother from making him lie across the gas stove in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
6. By Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, what is his position in the family?
7. What does Dave's mother tell the doctor when she dislocates his shoulder?
8. Summarize Dave's father's reaction to Dave's punishments, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
9. What does Dave decide to do when he can no longer steal food from school?
10. Describe the breakfasts Dave usually receives from his mother.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dave's relationship with his father.
- How does the relationship change throughout the book? Give examples from the book.
- How does Dave depend upon his father and does his father live up to the trust Dave puts in him? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Dave's family celebrates the holidays during the good times.
- Cite examples from the story of how they decorate the house, the gifts that are exchanged, and the foods that are served.
- Compare the holidays in the good times to Dave's holidays as the book progresses.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Dave's mother reveals her coldness and cruelty toward Dave.
- Summarize how her attitude toward Dave reflects the attitudes of the rest of the family. Cite examples from the story.
- How does she brainwash Dave's brothers and father not to acknowledge Dave's abusive situation?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)