|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dave not mind running to school in the morning?
2. When Dave is called back to the office from his classroom in Chapter 1, The Rescue, who is there to see him?
3. What is the disgusting punishment Dave's mother invents for him when the family is vacationing at the Russian River in in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
4. What is Dave told after the phone call to his mother in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
5. How does Dave find food after being confined in the garage for hours in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Dave is so anxious about finishing the dishes on time in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
2. Describe the types of inquiries Miss Moss starts to ask Dave in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
3. Summarize the tradition Dave's family follows to prepare for Halloween in Chapter 2, Good Times.
4. Describe what Dave's mother does one day when she is sick in Chapter 2, Good Times.
5. Explain why the Russian River is Dave's favorite vacation spot in Chapter 2, Good Times.
6. Describe the breakfasts Dave usually receives from his mother.
7. What does Dave decide to do when he can no longer steal food from school?
8. Describe the Happy Hour that Dave's parents celebrate, as outlined in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
9. Describe the lunch Dave has been taking to school for the past three years in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
10. What does the police officer tell Dave as they drive toward the outskirt of Dale City in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the school officials finally discover Dave's abuse.
- How do they collect the evidence they need to have Dave removed from his home?
- Who is the first person to report the suspected abuse of Dave?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Dave's mother reveals her coldness and cruelty toward Dave.
- Summarize how her attitude toward Dave reflects the attitudes of the rest of the family. Cite examples from the story.
- How does she brainwash Dave's brothers and father not to acknowledge Dave's abusive situation?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Dave's mother tortures him.
- Describe three of the punishments she inflicts upon Dave.
- Describe how he survives the punishments.
- Analyze his emotional state after the punishments are over.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)