|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave's mother's name?
2. Chapter 2, Good Times, who is in command of all family matters in Dave's household?
3. After the chair incident, what does Dave's mother tell the doctor and Dave's father happened to Dave?
4. What does Dave's teacher, Miss Moss, start questioning him about?
5. What does Dave's mother proceed to do after she announces to her children that she is sick Chapter 2, Good Times?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Dave's mother does one day when she is sick in Chapter 2, Good Times.
2. Explain why the Russian River is Dave's favorite vacation spot in Chapter 2, Good Times.
3. Summarize the change that takes place in Dave's relationship with his mother in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
4. Describe Dave's family life before the abuse starts.
5. Explain what type of punishment Dave's mother invents for him when she doesn't think the corner treatment is effective anymore.
6. Explain the dramatic lesson Dave's mother teaches the boys on a Sunday afternoon in Chapter 2, Good Times.
7. What does Dave's mother tell the doctor when she dislocates his shoulder?
8. Describe Dave's plan to prevent his mother from making him lie across the gas stove in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
9. Describe how Dave's mother decorates the house for Christmas in Chapter 2, Good Times.
10. Describe the condition of Dave's mother on a typical day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Dave's mother and father.
- Summarize the impact each of them has on the other.
- How does their alcoholism play a part in Dave's abuse?
- What do Dave's parents do to amuse themselves when they spend time together?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dave's relationship with his father.
- How does the relationship change throughout the book? Give examples from the book.
- How does Dave depend upon his father and does his father live up to the trust Dave puts in him? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Dave's mother tortures him.
- Describe three of the punishments she inflicts upon Dave.
- Describe how he survives the punishments.
- Analyze his emotional state after the punishments are over.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)