|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave's favorite place in Golden Gate Park?
2. When Dave is called back to the office from his classroom in Chapter 1, The Rescue, who is there to see him?
3. What does the principal give to Dave after the meeting in his office?
4. Where do Dave and his family usually go for summer vacations in Chapter 2, Good Times?
5. What does Dave make sure that everyone knows about the scar on his chest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mother's reaction when the principal calls her about Dave's condition in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
2. Explain why the Russian River is Dave's favorite vacation spot in Chapter 2, Good Times.
3. Describe how Dave's mother decorates the house for Christmas in Chapter 2, Good Times.
4. Summarize the punishment Dave's mother inflicts upon him while the family is vacationing at the Russian River, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
5. Describe the Happy Hour that Dave's parents celebrate, as outlined in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
6. What does Dave's mother tell the doctor when she dislocates his shoulder?
7. Explain what type of punishment Dave's mother invents for him when she doesn't think the corner treatment is effective anymore.
8. Summarize the tradition Dave's family follows to prepare for Halloween in Chapter 2, Good Times.
9. Describe what Dave's family does on spring days in Chapter 2, Good Times.
10. What does the police officer tell Dave as they drive toward the outskirt of Dale City in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Dave's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
- How does his attitude change toward God?
- How does his attitude change about himself?
- How are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life different from the beginning to the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dave's relationship with his father.
- How does the relationship change throughout the book? Give examples from the book.
- How does Dave depend upon his father and does his father live up to the trust Dave puts in him? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the events leading up to the stabbing of Dave in the abdomen by his mother.
- Describe how Dave's mother reacts to the stabbing and what she demands from Dave.
- How does Dave survive the infection from his wound?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)