|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dave grow to hate his father more than his mother?
2. What is Dave's favorite place in the world to go during vacation, according to Chapter 2, Good Times?
3. What are Dave and his brothers allowed to do on Christmas Eve in Chapter 2, Good Times?
4. What is the favorite thing Dave's mother does for her family Chapter 2, Good Times?
5. Where does Dave's mother have him sleep on the night of the chair incident?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Dave's mother dislocates his shoulder.
2. What does Dave decide to do when he can no longer steal food from school?
3. Describe how Dave's mother decorates the house for Christmas in Chapter 2, Good Times.
4. Discuss why Dave does not mind having to run to school.
5. Summarize the change that takes place in Dave's relationship with his mother in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
6. Describe Dave's plan to prevent his mother from making him lie across the gas stove in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
7. Describe the types of inquiries Miss Moss starts to ask Dave in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
8. Describe what Dave's mother does on the days his father is at work, beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
9. Describe the Happy Hour that Dave's parents celebrate, as outlined in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
10. Explain why the Russian River is Dave's favorite vacation spot in Chapter 2, Good Times.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Dave as an adult.
- What does he vow to do with his life now that he is free?
- What has he done with his adult life to escape his past and move on?
- Explain how he prevents himself from falling into the black hole of self-pity.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Dave's mother reveals her coldness and cruelty toward Dave.
- Summarize how her attitude toward Dave reflects the attitudes of the rest of the family. Cite examples from the story.
- How does she brainwash Dave's brothers and father not to acknowledge Dave's abusive situation?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Dave's family celebrates the holidays during the good times.
- Cite examples from the story of how they decorate the house, the gifts that are exchanged, and the foods that are served.
- Compare the holidays in the good times to Dave's holidays as the book progresses.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)