|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
(a) Break itself on the rocks.
(b) Struggling to stay ashore.
(c) Speak to him.
(d) Sink into the sea.
2. What does Dave manage to do when he is rescued?
(a) Make sure his mother suffers.
(b) Let go of his past.
(c) Vow to punish his father.
(d) Gets revenge on Stan.
3. What is Father's reaction when mother tells him to stop helping Dave in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) He tells her to shut up.
(b) He complies with her demand.
(c) He slaps her.
(d) He convinces her to let him help Dave.
4. Why does the school nurse begin to be interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) The substitute teacher reports Dave's condition to her.
(b) One of Dave's neighbors calls the school.
(c) One of the other children reports Dave's condition to her.
(d) She notices Dave's wretched appearance.
5. Why does Dave's mother give him roller skates for Christmas?
(a) She got them free from the thrift shop.
(b) So she can send him out in the cold to skate for hours.
(c) She wants him to be happy one day of the year.
(d) Dave's father told her to give Dave a present.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the new baby's name?
2. What is Russell's reaction to the harsh way mother talks to Dave?
3. What is Dave's punishment if he looks at one of his brothers?
4. How does Dave feel about the people around him by Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
5. What does Dave's mother tell him to do while she takes his brothers to the zoo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the new punishment Dave's mother invents for him in Chapter 5, While Father is Away, and how he survives it.
2. Describe the actions of Dave's mother when she offers him a plate of food after ten days of not eating.
3. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
4. As Dave enters fifth grade, what is his frame of mind?
5. Describe what Dave does when he finds that his stab wound is infected.
6. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
7. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
8. Describe the one time Dave had his prayers answered.
9. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
10. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)