|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new torture does Dave's mother come up with when she sends him to clean the bathroom in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) She has him wash the bathroom floor with his shirt.
(b) She puts a bucket of Clorox and ammonia in the room with him.
(c) She has him clean up broken glass in bare feet and hands.
(d) She forces him to clean the toilet with his toothbrush.
2. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
(a) Struggling to stay ashore.
(b) Sink into the sea.
(c) Break itself on the rocks.
(d) Speak to him.
3. When does Dave feel the most alone?
(a) When he sits on the stairs.
(b) When his father leaves for work.
(c) When he is in school.
(d) When he goes to bed.
4. What does the piece of driftwood in the Epilogue remind Dave of?
(a) His father giving up on him.
(b) His attitude toward his new life.
(c) His former life.
(d) His mother sinking into drunkenness.
5. What have the challenges of Dave's past done for him?
(a) Made him stronger inside.
(b) Made him lose his self-confidence.
(c) Made him hate himself.
(d) Made him timid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Dave in the winter of 1973, while he is in his classroom?
2. How long does Dave go without food when his father is away?
3. What does Dave's mother tell him to do after she changes his bloody clothes in in Chapter 5, The Accident?
4. Why does Dave grow to hate his father?
5. What does Dave refuse to do in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer despite how his mother treats him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe where Dave brings his son in the Epilogue and his emotions at that time.
2. In Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's father vow he will do for Dave someday?
3. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
4. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
5. Summarize Russell's attitude toward Dave, as described in Chapter 5, The Accident.
6. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
7. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
8. Explain what Dave's mother does after he is stabbed.
9. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
10. Describe Dave's behavior in the classroom one a day during the winter of 1973.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)