|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one of the ladies in the neighborhood give to Dave out of sympathy in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) A new shirt.
(b) A piece of cake.
(c) Fifty cents.
(d) Lunch in a brown bag.
2. What happens to Dave in the winter of 1973, while he is in his classroom?
(a) He wins the spelling bee.
(b) He runs from the classroom screaming and slams the door behind him.
(c) He screams at the teacher.
(d) He slaps another student.
3. Where is Dave driving to after he leaves his view of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
(a) To his mother's house.
(b) To his old school.
(c) His secret utopia.
(d) To his brother's house.
4. What position does Dave's mother force him to do while the rest of the family eats?
(a) Kneeling on the floor in the corner.
(b) Standing on a chair in the corner.
(c) The prisoner of war position at the bottom of the stairs.
(d) Standing with his face against the wall .
5. When Dave's father leaves for good, what is Dave's reaction?
(a) He knows that Mother will kill him.
(b) He is glad his father is gone.
(c) He thinks his mother will change now.
(d) He is indifferent to the situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave do to keep from screaming while his stab wound is being cleaned?
2. What is the secret that Dave learns quickly from his bad situation?
3. What is Dave's final thought in the book?
4. What does Dave manage to do when he is rescued?
5. When does Dave feel the most alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
2. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
3. Summarize the incidents that happen to Dave on the day his mother takes his brothers to the zoo.
4. Describe the one time Dave had his prayers answered.
5. Summarize Russell's attitude toward Dave, as described in Chapter 5, The Accident.
6. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
7. Describe why Dave is so fascinated with a piece of driftwood that is washing ashore in the Epilogue.
8. As Dave enters fifth grade, what is his frame of mind?
9. Explain what Dave's mother does after he is stabbed.
10. In Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's father vow he will do for Dave someday?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)