|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dave realize after years of struggling?
(a) America is against the downtrodden.
(b) He does not want to live in America.
(c) America is not really the home of the free.
(d) In America, you can come from less and still become a winner.
2. What does Dave's mother tell him to do while she takes his brothers to the zoo?
(a) Stand against the wall.
(b) Sit in the basement in the dark.
(c) Sit on rocks in the backyard in the prisoner of war position.
(d) Wash all the windows in the house.
3. What does Dave's father do to ease Dave's burden in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) He gives Dave extra blankets.
(b) He brings food to Dave in the middle of the night.
(c) He drives Dave to school.
(d) He helps Dave with the dishes every night.
4. As Dave contemplates his abuse as a child, what does he reveal that he felt was causing his dire situation?
(a) The lies his teachers told his mother about him.
(b) A giant undertow was sucking him down.
(c) The jealousy of his brothers.
(d) His misbehavior.
5. Where does Dave bring his son at the end of the book?
(a) His mother's house.
(b) His hometown.
(c) His old school.
(d) The Russian River.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave thinking as he looks at his stab wound and sits at the bottom of the stairs?
2. When is the only time Dave ever has his prayers answered?
3. What is Father's reaction when mother tells him to stop helping Dave in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
4. What gift does Dave's turbulent past give him, according to the Epilogue?
5. What do two of Dave's classmates tell him to do when they are on a field trip on a clipper ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
2. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
3. Explain what Dave's mother does after he is stabbed.
4. Describe Dave's behavior in the classroom one a day during the winter of 1973.
5. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
6. In Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's father vow he will do for Dave someday?
7. Describe where Dave brings his son in the Epilogue and his emotions at that time.
8. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
9. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
10. Describe the actions of Dave's mother when she offers him a plate of food after ten days of not eating.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)