|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the code of Dave's family?
(a) If they don't acknowledge the problem, it does not exist.
(b) Everyone blames Dave for everything.
(c) Watch each other's back.
(d) Only Mother gets to control Dave
2. What is Dave's frame of mind when he sees his father leaving for work in the morning?
(a) He hates his father.
(b) He feels the warmth of love.
(c) He is indifferent.
(d) He feels cold and hollow.
3. What does Dave's mother tell him to do after she changes his bloody clothes in in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) Go to bed.
(b) Play in the driveway with his brothers.
(c) Go to the basement.
(d) Clean the blood off the rug.
4. What is the new baby's name?
5. When is the only time Dave ever has his prayers answered?
(a) When he prays for to get through the day, he does.
(b) When he was five, he prayed for his mother to get sick and she did.
(c) When he prays that his mother gets hurt, she sprains her ankle.
(d) When he prays for food, his father sneaks him a sandwich.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Dave's feelings as he lies on his cot the night he is stabbed?
2. Where does Dave's mother have him sleep after she carves pumpkins with his brothers?
3. What does Dave's mother tell him to do when he regains consciousness in Chapter 5, The Accident?
4. How does Dave feel as he watches the sunset after being stabbed?
5. What does Dave's mother do after Dave is stabbed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Russell's attitude toward Dave, as described in Chapter 5, The Accident.
2. Explain what Dave eats after he finished the dishes one day in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer.
3. Summarize what Dave wants from his life now that he is free in the Epilogue.
4. How does Dave feel about life in America, as outlined in the Epilogue?
5. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
6. In Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's father vow he will do for Dave someday?
7. Explain what Dave's mother does after he is stabbed.
8. Describe where Dave brings his son in the Epilogue and his emotions at that time.
9. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
10. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)