|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dave's fourth grade substitute teacher give to students who do good work?
(a) A sticker.
(b) A balloon.
(c) A new pencil.
(d) Ice cream.
2. How is Dave treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital?
(a) He is given food and plays with his brothers.
(b) He is still ostracized.
(c) He is given food but stays in the basement.
(d) He is given food but is beaten by his brothers.
3. What is the new baby's name?
4. What does Dave dream on the night his stab wound infection is cleaned?
(a) He dreams he fall from a cliff.
(b) He dreams that he drowns in the sea.
(c) He dreams that he kills his mother.
(d) He dreams he is Superman.
5. Why does Dave grow to hate his father?
(a) His father starts beating him.
(b) His father fails to rescue him.
(c) His father leaves the family.
(d) His father treats his brothers better.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave's punishment if he looks at one of his brothers?
2. How does Dave feel as he looks at the rundown cabin where his family used to vacation?
3. What does Dave do when he finds that his stab wound is infected?
4. What gift does Dave's turbulent past give him, according to the Epilogue?
5. What is Father's reaction when mother tells him to stop helping Dave in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Dave eats after he finished the dishes one day in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer.
2. Summarize the incidents that happen to Dave on the day his mother takes his brothers to the zoo.
3. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
4. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
5. Describe Dave's behavior in the classroom one a day during the winter of 1973.
6. In Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's father vow he will do for Dave someday?
7. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
8. How does Dave feel about life in America, as outlined in the Epilogue?
9. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
10. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)