|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the bully in Dave's school that beats him up whenever he sees him?
2. What is Father's reaction when mother tells him to stop helping Dave in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) He complies with her demand.
(b) He convinces her to let him help Dave.
(c) He slaps her.
(d) He tells her to shut up.
3. What does Dave's fourth grade substitute teacher give to students who do good work?
(a) A new pencil.
(b) A sticker.
(c) Ice cream.
(d) A balloon.
4. What gift does Dave's turbulent past give him, according to the Epilogue?
(a) An appreciation for things others take for granted.
(b) The knowledge that God is dead.
(c) The satisfaction of revenge.
(d) The knowledge that people are evil.
5. What does Dave's mother tell him to do after she changes his bloody clothes in in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) Play in the driveway with his brothers.
(b) Clean the blood off the rug.
(c) Go to bed.
(d) Go to the basement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Dave's brothers bring to the house to see him being punished in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
2. As Dave contemplates his abuse as a child, what does he reveal that he felt was causing his dire situation?
3. When Dave's father leaves for good, what is Dave's reaction?
4. How does Dave prevent the black hole from taking control of his life?
5. Where is Dave driving to after he leaves his view of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the incidents that happen to Dave on the day his mother takes his brothers to the zoo.
2. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
3. Summarize what Dave wants from his life now that he is free in the Epilogue.
4. In Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's father vow he will do for Dave someday?
5. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
6. Describe the actions of Dave's mother when she offers him a plate of food after ten days of not eating.
7. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
8. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
9. Describe the people Dave encounters after he is rescued.
10. Describe why Dave is so fascinated with a piece of driftwood that is washing ashore in the Epilogue.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)