|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dave's mother offers him food after many days in Chapter 6, While Father is Away. What does she do when he is about to eat it?
(a) Grabs the plate away.
(b) Forces him to say grace.
(c) Asks him for a kiss.
(d) Forces him to beg .
2. How does Dave feel about his brothers as he hears them laugh at a TV show while they eat their desserts?
3. What does the piece of driftwood in the Epilogue remind Dave of?
(a) His father giving up on him.
(b) His attitude toward his new life.
(c) His mother sinking into drunkenness.
(d) His former life.
4. What is the secret that Dave learns quickly from his bad situation?
(a) Life is hell.
(b) People are evil.
(c) Internal motivation.
(d) Don't trust anyone.
5. What does Dave's mother tell him to do after she changes his bloody clothes in in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) Go to the basement.
(b) Clean the blood off the rug.
(c) Play in the driveway with his brothers.
(d) Go to bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
2. What contest does Dave win in the fifth grade?
3. What does Dave refuse to do in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer despite how his mother treats him?
4. What gift does Dave's turbulent past give him, according to the Epilogue?
5. Who is the bully in Dave's school that beats him up whenever he sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
2. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
3. Describe the actions of Dave's mother when she offers him a plate of food after ten days of not eating.
4. Describe why Dave is so fascinated with a piece of driftwood that is washing ashore in the Epilogue.
5. Summarize Russell's attitude toward Dave, as described in Chapter 5, The Accident.
6. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
7. Explain why Dave's mother gives him roller skates for Christmas.
8. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
9. Summarize Mother's reaction when she receives a letter from Mr. Zeigler praising Dave's efforts in school.
10. Describe where Dave brings his son in the Epilogue and his emotions at that time.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)