|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Dave go without food when his father is away?
(a) Four days.
(b) Five days.
(c) One week.
(d) Ten days.
2. What does Dave refuse to do in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer despite how his mother treats him?
(a) Sit on the stairs.
(b) Go to the basement.
(c) Stand in the garden.
3. Why does Dave's mother give him roller skates for Christmas?
(a) So she can send him out in the cold to skate for hours.
(b) She got them free from the thrift shop.
(c) Dave's father told her to give Dave a present.
(d) She wants him to be happy one day of the year.
4. Who does Dave rely upon when he needs encouragement and strength, according to the Epilogue?
(b) His father.
(c) His therapist.
(d) His social worker.
5. By Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer, when does Dave believe he will be free of his mother?
(a) When he runs away.
(b) When she dies and goes to hell.
(c) When he kills her.
(d) When his father has her arrested.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Dave contemplates his abuse as a child, what does he reveal that he felt was causing his dire situation?
2. What is Dave's frame of mind when he sees his father leaving for work in the morning?
3. What does Dave manage to do when he is rescued?
4. What is Father's reaction when mother tells him to stop helping Dave in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
5. What lie does Dave's mother tell everyone about what Dave did to her while she was pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
2. As Dave enters fifth grade, what is his frame of mind?
3. In Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's father vow he will do for Dave someday?
4. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
5. Describe the actions of Dave's mother when she offers him a plate of food after ten days of not eating.
6. Describe Dave's behavior in the classroom one a day during the winter of 1973.
7. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
8. Explain the new punishment Dave's mother invents for him in Chapter 5, While Father is Away, and how he survives it.
9. Describe the one time Dave had his prayers answered.
10. Summarize the incidents that happen to Dave on the day his mother takes his brothers to the zoo.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)