|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Dave receive lunch during the summer of 1971?
(a) Every three days.
(b) Every other day.
(d) Once a week .
2. When Dave's father leaves for good, what is Dave's reaction?
(a) He is glad his father is gone.
(b) He thinks his mother will change now.
(c) He knows that Mother will kill him.
(d) He is indifferent to the situation.
3. What career choice does Dave make as an adult?
(a) He becomes a minister.
(b) He becomes a prison guard.
(c) He joins the Air Force.
(d) He joins the Navy.
4. What is Russell's reaction to the harsh way mother talks to Dave?
(a) No reaction.
(b) He cries.
(c) He jumps back, startled.
(d) He cringes in fear.
5. What are Dave's feelings as he lies on his cot the night he is stabbed?
(a) He gives up.
(b) He feels abandoned.
(c) He feels ashamed.
(d) He feels like a wounded animal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Dave's turbulent past give him, according to the Epilogue?
2. Where does Dave's mother have him sleep after she carves pumpkins with his brothers?
3. Why does Dave grow to hate his father?
4. What is Father's reaction when mother tells him to stop helping Dave in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
5. What position does Dave's mother force him to do while the rest of the family eats?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why Dave is so fascinated with a piece of driftwood that is washing ashore in the Epilogue.
2. Summarize what Dave wants from his life now that he is free in the Epilogue.
3. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
4. Describe what Dave does when he finds that his stab wound is infected.
5. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
6. Describe the people Dave encounters after he is rescued.
7. Describe the one time Dave had his prayers answered.
8. How does Dave feel about life in America, as outlined in the Epilogue?
9. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
10. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)