|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dave's mother suddenly allow Dave to eat with the family, watch TV, and give him new clothes to wear?
(a) She is sorry for the abuse.
(b) Social services is coming for a visit.
(c) A neighbor is stopping by for coffee.
(d) The school principal is coming for a visit.
2. What career choice does Dave make as an adult?
(a) He joins the Air Force.
(b) He becomes a prison guard.
(c) He joins the Navy.
(d) He becomes a minister.
3. What does Dave's mother do after Dave is stabbed?
(a) She calls her husband to help.
(b) She carries him to the garage and leaves him there.
(c) She leaves him bleeding on the floor.
(d) She props him up on the toilet and wraps his wound.
4. How is Dave treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital?
(a) He is given food but is beaten by his brothers.
(b) He is given food and plays with his brothers.
(c) He is given food but stays in the basement.
(d) He is still ostracized.
5. When Dave's father leaves for good, what is Dave's reaction?
(a) He is glad his father is gone.
(b) He thinks his mother will change now.
(c) He is indifferent to the situation.
(d) He knows that Mother will kill him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Dave driving to after he leaves his view of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
2. What is the secret that Dave learns quickly from his bad situation?
3. What does the piece of driftwood in the Epilogue remind Dave of?
4. Who do Dave's brothers bring to the house to see him being punished in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
5. What are Dave's feelings as he lies on his cot the night he is stabbed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
2. Describe what Dave does when he finds that his stab wound is infected.
3. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
4. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
5. As Dave enters fifth grade, what is his frame of mind?
6. Explain what Dave eats after he finished the dishes one day in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer.
7. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
8. Summarize Russell's attitude toward Dave, as described in Chapter 5, The Accident.
9. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
10. Explain why Dave's mother gives him roller skates for Christmas.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)