|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dave promise himself he will do if he comes out of his situation alive?
(a) He will get revenge on his mother.
(b) He will get revenge on his brothers.
(c) He will get revenge on his father.
(d) He will be the best he can be.
2. By Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer, when does Dave believe he will be free of his mother?
(a) When he kills her.
(b) When his father has her arrested.
(c) When she dies and goes to hell.
(d) When he runs away.
3. When Dave brings home a letter from Mr. Zeigler telling Mother about Dave's being the top student in the class, how does Mother react?
(a) She burns the letter.
(b) She gives Dave a hug.
(c) She tells Dave that she wishes he were dead.
(d) She says that she is proud of him.
4. Dave's mother offers him food after many days in Chapter 6, While Father is Away. What does she do when he is about to eat it?
(a) Asks him for a kiss.
(b) Forces him to say grace.
(c) Forces him to beg .
(d) Grabs the plate away.
5. What gift does Dave's turbulent past give him, according to the Epilogue?
(a) The satisfaction of revenge.
(b) The knowledge that God is dead.
(c) An appreciation for things others take for granted.
(d) The knowledge that people are evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days pass before Dave's stab wound gets infected?
2. What is Dave's final thought in the book?
3. What new torture does Dave's mother come up with when she sends him to clean the bathroom in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
4. How does Dave react when his father says goodbye to him?
5. What are Dave's feelings as he lies on his cot the night he is stabbed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the actions of Dave's mother when she offers him a plate of food after ten days of not eating.
2. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
3. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
4. Summarize Mother's reaction when she receives a letter from Mr. Zeigler praising Dave's efforts in school.
5. Explain the new punishment Dave's mother invents for him in Chapter 5, While Father is Away, and how he survives it.
6. Explain what Dave's mother does after he is stabbed.
7. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
8. How does Dave feel about life in America, as outlined in the Epilogue?
9. Describe Dave's behavior in the classroom one a day during the winter of 1973.
10. Describe what Dave does when he finds that his stab wound is infected.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)