|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Dave feel the most alone?
(a) When he is in school.
(b) When he sits on the stairs.
(c) When he goes to bed.
(d) When his father leaves for work.
2. Who do Dave's brothers bring to the house to see him being punished in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) The principal.
(b) Their friends.
(c) The police.
(d) A neighbor.
3. What is Dave thinking as he looks at his stab wound and sits at the bottom of the stairs?
(a) He thinks his mother will eventually kill him.
(b) He wills his wound to heal.
(c) He thinks he will die.
(d) He thinks he is a pitiful creature.
4. What is the new baby's name?
5. What is the one thing Dave wants, even more than food in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) New Clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Dave's mother force him to do while the rest of the family eats?
2. What have the challenges of Dave's past done for him?
3. What is Dave's punishment if he looks at one of his brothers?
4. Who is the leader of a small band of girls that torment Dave?
5. Why does Dave grow to hate his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dave feel about life in America, as outlined in the Epilogue?
2. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
3. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
4. Describe why Dave is so fascinated with a piece of driftwood that is washing ashore in the Epilogue.
5. Explain why Dave's mother gives him roller skates for Christmas.
6. Describe where Dave brings his son in the Epilogue and his emotions at that time.
7. Summarize the incidents that happen to Dave on the day his mother takes his brothers to the zoo.
8. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
9. Describe the one time Dave had his prayers answered.
10. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)