|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the secret that Dave learns quickly from his bad situation?
(a) People are evil.
(b) Life is hell.
(c) Internal motivation.
(d) Don't trust anyone.
2. What is the one thing Dave wants, even more than food in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) New Clothes.
3. What gift does Dave's turbulent past give him, according to the Epilogue?
(a) An appreciation for things others take for granted.
(b) The knowledge that people are evil.
(c) The knowledge that God is dead.
(d) The satisfaction of revenge.
4. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
(a) Speak to him.
(b) Struggling to stay ashore.
(c) Sink into the sea.
(d) Break itself on the rocks.
5. When is the only time Dave ever has his prayers answered?
(a) When he prays that his mother gets hurt, she sprains her ankle.
(b) When he was five, he prayed for his mother to get sick and she did.
(c) When he prays for to get through the day, he does.
(d) When he prays for food, his father sneaks him a sandwich.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have the challenges of Dave's past done for him?
2. What does Dave's mother do after Dave is stabbed?
3. What does Dave come to believe just before he enters the fifth grade?
4. Who does Dave rely upon when he needs encouragement and strength, according to the Epilogue?
5. What does Dave's mother tell him to do while she takes his brothers to the zoo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the incidents that happen to Dave on the day his mother takes his brothers to the zoo.
2. Describe why Dave is so fascinated with a piece of driftwood that is washing ashore in the Epilogue.
3. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
4. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
5. Describe the people Dave encounters after he is rescued.
6. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
7. Describe the actions of Dave's mother when she offers him a plate of food after ten days of not eating.
8. As Dave enters fifth grade, what is his frame of mind?
9. Explain why Dave's mother gives him roller skates for Christmas.
10. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)