|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Dave driving to after he leaves his view of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
(a) His secret utopia.
(b) To his old school.
(c) To his brother's house.
(d) To his mother's house.
2. How does Dave feel about his father after he tells his father about the stabbing?
(a) His father is a coward.
(b) He is afraid of his father.
(c) He loves his father.
(d) He loses all respect for his father.
3. What do two of Dave's classmates tell him to do when they are on a field trip on a clipper ship?
(b) Tell the police about the abuse.
(c) Kill his mother.
(d) Tell the principal about the abuse.
4. What is Father's reaction when mother tells him to stop helping Dave in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) He tells her to shut up.
(b) He slaps her.
(c) He convinces her to let him help Dave.
(d) He complies with her demand.
5. What does Dave think about 'the accident' with his mother when he regains consciousness?
(a) He won't let mother hurt him again.
(b) It has set him free.
(c) He thinks he is going to die.
(d) He thinks about revenge.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
2. When is the only time Dave ever has his prayers answered?
3. How many days pass before Dave's stab wound gets infected?
4. What does Dave's mother tell him to do after she changes his bloody clothes in in Chapter 5, The Accident?
5. What is the one thing Dave wants, even more than food in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
2. Summarize Mother's reaction when she receives a letter from Mr. Zeigler praising Dave's efforts in school.
3. Describe what Dave does when he finds that his stab wound is infected.
4. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
5. Summarize the incidents that happen to Dave on the day his mother takes his brothers to the zoo.
6. Describe why Dave is so fascinated with a piece of driftwood that is washing ashore in the Epilogue.
7. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
8. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
9. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
10. Describe Dave's behavior in the classroom one a day during the winter of 1973.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)