|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the new baby's name?
2. What does Dave realize after years of struggling?
(a) In America, you can come from less and still become a winner.
(b) America is against the downtrodden.
(c) He does not want to live in America.
(d) America is not really the home of the free.
3. As Dave contemplates his abuse as a child, what does he reveal that he felt was causing his dire situation?
(a) The jealousy of his brothers.
(b) A giant undertow was sucking him down.
(c) The lies his teachers told his mother about him.
(d) His misbehavior.
4. How is Dave treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital?
(a) He is given food but stays in the basement.
(b) He is given food but is beaten by his brothers.
(c) He is still ostracized.
(d) He is given food and plays with his brothers.
5. How long does Dave go without food when his father is away?
(a) One week.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Four days.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave feel about his father after he tells his father about the stabbing?
2. What is Russell's reaction to the harsh way mother talks to Dave?
3. What does Dave's mother tell him to do after she changes his bloody clothes in in Chapter 5, The Accident?
4. How often does Dave receive lunch during the summer of 1971?
5. What is Dave thinking as he stands facing the beauty of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
2. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
3. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
4. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
5. Explain what Dave eats after he finished the dishes one day in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer.
6. Summarize Russell's attitude toward Dave, as described in Chapter 5, The Accident.
7. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
8. Describe what Dave does when he finds that his stab wound is infected.
9. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
10. As Dave enters fifth grade, what is his frame of mind?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)