|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dave do when he finds that his stab wound is infected?
(a) He goes to his father for help.
(b) He takes care of it himself.
(c) He goes to Stan for help.
(d) He goes to his mother for help.
2. What is Dave's frame of mind during the summer of 1971?
(a) Low morale.
(b) Still hopeful.
3. Where does Dave's mother have him sleep after she carves pumpkins with his brothers?
(a) On the toilet.
(b) In the bathtub.
(c) In his father's bed.
(d) In the garden.
4. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
(a) Struggling to stay ashore.
(b) Speak to him.
(c) Sink into the sea.
(d) Break itself on the rocks.
5. How many days pass before Dave's stab wound gets infected?
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Dave receive lunch during the summer of 1971?
2. How does Dave feel about his brothers as he hears them laugh at a TV show while they eat their desserts?
3. What is the code of Dave's family?
4. What does Dave's fourth grade substitute teacher give to students who do good work?
5. What is Dave's frame of mind when he sees his father leaving for work in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
2. Explain the new punishment Dave's mother invents for him in Chapter 5, While Father is Away, and how he survives it.
3. Summarize the incidents that happen to Dave on the day his mother takes his brothers to the zoo.
4. Explain what Dave's mother does after he is stabbed.
5. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
6. Describe why Dave is so fascinated with a piece of driftwood that is washing ashore in the Epilogue.
7. Describe the one time Dave had his prayers answered.
8. Summarize what Dave wants from his life now that he is free in the Epilogue.
9. Describe where Dave brings his son in the Epilogue and his emotions at that time.
10. Explain what Dave eats after he finished the dishes one day in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)