|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer, when does Dave believe he will be free of his mother?
(a) When he kills her.
(b) When she dies and goes to hell.
(c) When he runs away.
(d) When his father has her arrested.
2. What is the code of Dave's family?
(a) Only Mother gets to control Dave
(b) Watch each other's back.
(c) If they don't acknowledge the problem, it does not exist.
(d) Everyone blames Dave for everything.
3. How is Dave treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital?
(a) He is given food but stays in the basement.
(b) He is still ostracized.
(c) He is given food and plays with his brothers.
(d) He is given food but is beaten by his brothers.
4. By Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer, how does Dave tolerate physical pain?
(a) Even light slaps feel like torture.
(b) He can barely stand it.
(c) He is disconnected from it.
(d) It is worse than ever.
5. Which member of the family watches Dave's every move and reports his actions back to his mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave dream on the night his stab wound infection is cleaned?
2. What does Dave bring himself to eat after he finishes the breakfast dishes one day in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
3. What does Dave manage to do when he is rescued?
4. What is the one thing Dave wants, even more than food in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
5. What is Dave's frame of mind during the summer of 1971?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
2. Summarize Russell's attitude toward Dave, as described in Chapter 5, The Accident.
3. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
4. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
5. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
6. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
7. As Dave enters fifth grade, what is his frame of mind?
8. Summarize what Dave wants from his life now that he is free in the Epilogue.
9. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
10. Describe the one time Dave had his prayers answered.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)