|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dave grow to hate his father?
(a) His father treats his brothers better.
(b) His father leaves the family.
(c) His father fails to rescue him.
(d) His father starts beating him.
2. What does Dave realize after years of struggling?
(a) He does not want to live in America.
(b) America is against the downtrodden.
(c) America is not really the home of the free.
(d) In America, you can come from less and still become a winner.
3. What does Dave's father do to ease Dave's burden in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) He brings food to Dave in the middle of the night.
(b) He helps Dave with the dishes every night.
(c) He gives Dave extra blankets.
(d) He drives Dave to school.
4. When Dave's mother returns from the zoo, what does she do to him?
(a) Pulls a chunk of hair out of his head.
(b) Slaps his face.
(c) Puts him in a tub of cold water, forcing his head underwater.
(d) Twists his arm.
5. What does Dave's mother tell him to do when he regains consciousness in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) Go eat some food.
(b) Go to bed.
(c) Clean up the mess.
(d) Finish the dishes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave's frame of mind during the summer of 1971?
2. What does Dave think about 'the accident' with his mother when he regains consciousness?
3. What is the secret that Dave learns quickly from his bad situation?
4. Dave's mother offers him food after many days in Chapter 6, While Father is Away. What does she do when he is about to eat it?
5. Where is Dave driving to after he leaves his view of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Dave's mother gives him roller skates for Christmas.
2. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
3. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
4. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
5. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
6. Explain what Dave's mother does after he is stabbed.
7. Summarize the incidents that happen to Dave on the day his mother takes his brothers to the zoo.
8. Summarize what Dave wants from his life now that he is free in the Epilogue.
9. Describe Dave's behavior in the classroom one a day during the winter of 1973.
10. As Dave enters fifth grade, what is his frame of mind?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)