|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new torture does Dave's mother come up with when she sends him to clean the bathroom in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) She puts a bucket of Clorox and ammonia in the room with him.
(b) She forces him to clean the toilet with his toothbrush.
(c) She has him clean up broken glass in bare feet and hands.
(d) She has him wash the bathroom floor with his shirt.
2. Who do Dave's brothers bring to the house to see him being punished in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) The principal.
(b) The police.
(c) Their friends.
(d) A neighbor.
3. What lie does Dave's mother tell everyone about what Dave did to her while she was pregnant?
(a) Dave threw soap in her face.
(b) Dave kicked her in the stomach.
(c) Dave pushed her down the stairs.
(d) Dave tripped her.
4. Who does Dave rely upon when he needs encouragement and strength, according to the Epilogue?
(a) His father.
(b) His therapist.
(d) His social worker.
5. What does Dave do to keep from screaming while his stab wound is being cleaned?
(a) Buries his face in a pillow.
(b) Bites his tongue.
(c) Puts his fist in his mouth.
(d) Stuffs a rag in his mouth.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
2. What contest does Dave win in the fifth grade?
3. Which member of the family watches Dave's every move and reports his actions back to his mother?
4. What does Dave's mother tell him to do while she takes his brothers to the zoo?
5. What does Dave's father tell him when Dave goes to him for help after being stabbed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Dave's mother does after he is stabbed.
2. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
3. As Dave enters fifth grade, what is his frame of mind?
4. Describe what Dave does when he finds that his stab wound is infected.
5. Describe the people Dave encounters after he is rescued.
6. How does Dave feel about life in America, as outlined in the Epilogue?
7. Summarize Russell's attitude toward Dave, as described in Chapter 5, The Accident.
8. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
9. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
10. Dave goes to his father for help after being stabbed. What is his father's reaction?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)