|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Russell's reaction to the harsh way mother talks to Dave?
(a) He jumps back, startled.
(b) No reaction.
(c) He cries.
(d) He cringes in fear.
2. Where does Dave's mother have him sleep after she carves pumpkins with his brothers?
(a) In the bathtub.
(b) In his father's bed.
(c) In the garden.
(d) On the toilet.
3. What does one of the ladies in the neighborhood give to Dave out of sympathy in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) Fifty cents.
(b) Lunch in a brown bag.
(c) A piece of cake.
(d) A new shirt.
4. What does Dave realize after years of struggling?
(a) He does not want to live in America.
(b) In America, you can come from less and still become a winner.
(c) America is not really the home of the free.
(d) America is against the downtrodden.
5. By Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer, when does Dave believe he will be free of his mother?
(a) When he runs away.
(b) When he kills her.
(c) When she dies and goes to hell.
(d) When his father has her arrested.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave feel about his father after he tells his father about the stabbing?
2. Why does Dave's mother suddenly allow Dave to eat with the family, watch TV, and give him new clothes to wear?
3. What is Dave's frame of mind when he sees his father leaving for work in the morning?
4. Near the end of summer in Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's mother send him to do?
5. What is Dave's frame of mind during the summer of 1971?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's father vow he will do for Dave someday?
2. Describe how Dave is treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital delivering his new brother.
3. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
4. How does the school nurse become interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
5. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
6. Summarize the forms of punishment Dave expects to receive as he turns 11-years-old.
7. Describe why Dave is so fascinated with a piece of driftwood that is washing ashore in the Epilogue.
8. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
9. Summarize Russell's attitude toward Dave, as described in Chapter 5, The Accident.
10. Describe the incident where Dave is stabbed by his mother.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)