|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form of punishment does Dave get after his mother decides sitting in the corner is no longer effective?
(a) He has to remain silent for the entire day.
(b) He has to stand with his face pushed into the mirror, repeating over and over that he is a bad boy.
(c) He has to write a hundred times that he is a bad boy.
(d) He has to stand on a chair in the corner.
2. What does Dave decide to do when he realizes that he finally beat his mother in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) He will run away.
(b) He will beg his mother to leave him alone.
(c) He will ask his father to take him away.
(d) He will use any tactic to survive.
3. What is Dave's mother's reaction when she finds out he has been stealing lunches at school?
(a) She makes him eat until he is sick.
(b) She doesn't feed him all weekend.
(c) She tapes his mouth shut.
(d) She makes him eat his food off the floor.
4. How does Dave's mother look on a typical day?
(a) Short wavy hair, glowing smile, and well-groomed.
(b) Soft curly hair, thin, and lovely.
(c) Swollen red eyes, frazzled hair, no makeup, and overweight.
(d) Long shiny hair, shining teeth, and stylish.
5. Why does Dave's mother burn his arm on the gas stove?
(a) She is angry that he got home late.
(b) She finds out he told a lie.
(c) She says that he played on the grass at school.
(d) She is angry that he didn't brush his teeth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave's mother's biggest asset?
2. What is Dave's plan when he cannot steal food from school anymore?
3. Where does Dave's mother have him sleep on the night of the chair incident?
4. What kind of a housekeeper is Dave's mother during the good times?
5. Why does Dave not mind running to school in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the school requires Dave to do before school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
2. Describe what Dave's family does on spring days in Chapter 2, Good Times.
3. Many times Dave's mother sends him to search the house for something she has lost. What does she do to him if he forgets what he is looking for?
4. Summarize the change that takes place in Dave's relationship with his mother in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
5. Explain how Dave manages to get food at school in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
6. Describe Dave's family life before the abuse starts.
7. Describe how Dave's mother decorates the house for Christmas in Chapter 2, Good Times.
8. Summarize Dave's father's reaction to Dave's punishments, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
9. Describe the clothes Dave wears to school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
10. Discuss why Dave does not mind having to run to school.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)