|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dave's mother's reaction when she finds out he has been stealing lunches at school?
(a) She makes him eat his food off the floor.
(b) She doesn't feed him all weekend.
(c) She makes him eat until he is sick.
(d) She tapes his mouth shut.
2. How does Dave feel about telling the story of his injuries in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) He is reluctant to talk.
(b) He wants to tell everyone what happened.
(c) He is afraid that he will be blamed.
(d) He wants to get his mother arrested.
3. In Chapter 2, Good Times, when does Dave's mom hug him, giving him a feeling of warmth and safety?
(a) When she tucks him into bed.
(b) When she wakes him up in the morning.
(c) Watching the sunset on the Russian River.
(d) When she listens to his bedtime prayers.
4. Why does Dave not mind running to school in the morning?
(a) He can play tag with the other children in the schoolyard.
(b) He likes to get to school early and talk to the teachers
(c) He can get there early enough to steal food from other children's lunch bags.
(d) He likes to stay in shape for the track team.
5. What is the new bed assigned to Dave by his mother in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) He sleeps under the kitchen table with newspapers for covers.
(b) He sleeps in the basement.
(c) He sleeps in the doghouse in the back yard.
(d) He sleeps in the garage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave's mother tell him in Chapter 1, The Rescue to say happened to his face?
2. Why is Dave afraid to give his mother's phone number to the authorities?
3. How does Dave feel when he is not allowed to go camping?
4. When Dave gets home from school one day in Chapter 3, Bad Boy, what does his mother tell him?
5. Once school starts again in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, what is Dave's mother feeding him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dave's family life before the abuse starts.
2. Describe the two excuses Dave makes in Chapter 1, The Rescue, to explain how he got the bruises on his face.
3. Describe what Dave's family does on spring days in Chapter 2, Good Times.
4. As shared in Chapter 2, The Good Times, what is the family tradition about placing the angel on top of the Christmas tree?
5. Summarize the punishment Dave's mother inflicts upon him while the family is vacationing at the Russian River, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
6. Describe what Dave's mother does one day when she is sick in Chapter 2, Good Times.
7. Describe the condition of Dave's mother on a typical day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
8. Explain the dramatic lesson Dave's mother teaches the boys on a Sunday afternoon in Chapter 2, Good Times.
9. Describe the clothes Dave wears to school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
10. Many times Dave's mother sends him to search the house for something she has lost. What does she do to him if he forgets what he is looking for?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)