|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dave's plan when he cannot steal food from school anymore?
(a) He leaves the school and steals from stores.
(b) He steals it from stores on the way to school.
(c) He gets food out of the dumpster.
(d) He breaks into the snack machine.
2. What kind of pets does Dave's family have Chapter 2, Good Times?
(b) Fiddler crabs.
(c) White mice.
(d) Fish, dogs, cats, and a tortoise.
3. Why does Dave grow to hate his father more than his mother?
(a) His father leaves the house.
(b) His father helps his mother torture him.
(c) His father is more abusive than his mother.
(d) His father does nothing to help him anymore.
4. What does Dave's mother tell him in Chapter 1, The Rescue to say happened to his face?
(a) He fell down the stairs.
(b) The dog jumped on him.
(c) His brother hit him.
(d) He ran into a door.
5. Why does Dave want to finish washing the dishes as quickly as possible in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) So he can have his brother's leftover breakfast.
(b) So he can make his bed.
(c) So he can play ball before school.
(d) So he can finish his homework.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave's mother make him and his brothers to do for hours at a time in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
2. How does Dave's mother refer to him by in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
3. What is the favorite thing Dave's mother does for her family Chapter 2, Good Times?
4. How does Dave feel about telling the story of his injuries in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
5. What do Dave and his family like to do in the springtime in Chapter 2, Good Times?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Mother suddenly allows Dave to watch television and gives him new clothes to wear in Chapter 6, While Father is Away.
2. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
3. Summarize the punishment Dave's mother inflicts upon him while the family is vacationing at the Russian River, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
4. Describe why Dave is so fascinated with a piece of driftwood that is washing ashore in the Epilogue.
5. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
6. Explain what Dave's mother does after he is stabbed.
7. Describe what Dave has to do while the rest of the family eats in the summer of 1971.
8. Describe Dave's family life before the abuse starts.
9. Describe Dave's behavior in the classroom one a day during the winter of 1973.
10. Explain what Dave eats after he finished the dishes one day in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)