|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dave's mother look on a typical day?
(a) Swollen red eyes, frazzled hair, no makeup, and overweight.
(b) Short wavy hair, glowing smile, and well-groomed.
(c) Long shiny hair, shining teeth, and stylish.
(d) Soft curly hair, thin, and lovely.
2. When Dave gets home from school one day in Chapter 3, Bad Boy, what does his mother tell him?
(a) He is the best in the class.
(b) He shamed his family.
(c) He needs to work harder.
(d) She is proud of him.
3. What does Dave say when people at school ask him the cause of his bruises?
(a) He uses ready-made excuses his mother told him.
(b) He makes up lies on the spot.
(c) He always says that he is clumsy and falls a lot.
(d) He mumbles incoherently.
4. How does Dave feel about school in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) It is his haven away from mother.
(b) He hates it.
(c) It is torture for him.
(d) He is indifferent to it.
5. What does Dave's teacher, Miss Moss, start questioning him about?
(a) His mother's pregnancy.
(b) Why he doesn't do his homework.
(c) Why he doesn't take the bus.
(d) Why he is tired, the condition of his clothes, and his bruises.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave's mother's biggest asset?
2. What form of punishment does Dave get after his mother decides sitting in the corner is no longer effective?
3. Chapter 2, Good Times, who is in command of all family matters in Dave's household?
4. Why does Dave grow to hate his father more than his mother?
5. Once school starts again in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, what is Dave's mother feeding him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dave's plan to prevent his mother from making him lie across the gas stove in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
2. Describe the people Dave encounters after he is rescued.
3. What does the police officer tell Dave as they drive toward the outskirt of Dale City in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
4. What are Dave's thoughts when his father leaves for good?
5. Describe the breakfasts Dave usually receives from his mother.
6. Describe what Dave's family does on spring days in Chapter 2, Good Times.
7. By Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, what is his position in the family?
8. Describe the condition of Dave's mother on a typical day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
9. Describe Mother's reaction when the principal calls her about Dave's condition in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
10. Describe the clothes Dave wears to school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)