|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dave not mind running to school in the morning?
(a) He likes to get to school early and talk to the teachers
(b) He can play tag with the other children in the schoolyard.
(c) He likes to stay in shape for the track team.
(d) He can get there early enough to steal food from other children's lunch bags.
2. Who checks for new injuries on Dave every morning before school starts?
(a) Mr. Zeigler.
(b) The principal.
(c) Miss Woods.
(d) The school nurse.
3. What does Dave's mother make him and his brothers to do for hours at a time in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) Search the entire house for things she has lost.
(b) Wash the floors.
(c) Clean the basement.
(d) Wash every piece of silverware over and over.
4. How does Dave save himself from being forced to lie across the stove?
(a) He stalls for time until his brother gets home.
(b) He begs for forgiveness.
(c) He tells his mother that he loves her.
(d) He promises to be good.
5. Who does Dave compare his family to before the abuse started?
(a) The Cleaver family.
(b) The Brady Bunch.
(c) The Ingalls family.
(d) The Partridge family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave's plan when he cannot steal food from school anymore?
2. What nickname does Dave's father use for him?
3. What does Dave's father do when his mother decides Santa would not be coming to Dave?
4. What new punishment does Dave's mother invent for him in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
5. How does Dave eventually get food at home in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Happy Hour that Dave's parents celebrate, as outlined in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
2. Describe Dave's behavior in the classroom one a day during the winter of 1973.
3. Summarize Mother's reaction when she receives a letter from Mr. Zeigler praising Dave's efforts in school.
4. Explain how Dave manages to get food at school in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
5. Explain why Dave's morale is low in the summer of 1971.
6. Discuss why Dave does not mind having to run to school.
7. Describe why Dave is so fascinated with a piece of driftwood that is washing ashore in the Epilogue.
8. How does Dave look positively at his abusive past?
9. Summarize the tradition Dave's family follows to prepare for Halloween in Chapter 2, Good Times.
10. Describe what Dave's mother does on the days his father is at work, beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)