|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dave say happened to his face when he is questioned about the bruises in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) He says that he tripped and fell.
(b) He says that he bumped into the cabinet.
(c) He says that he was playing baseball and got hit with the bat.
(d) He says that he fell down the stairs.
2. Why does Dave want to finish washing the dishes as quickly as possible in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) So he can play ball before school.
(b) So he can finish his homework.
(c) So he can make his bed.
(d) So he can have his brother's leftover breakfast.
3. Why does Dave grow to hate his father more than his mother?
(a) His father is more abusive than his mother.
(b) His father leaves the house.
(c) His father helps his mother torture him.
(d) His father does nothing to help him anymore.
4. What does Dave's mother teach him in a small trenched hole at the Russian River?
(a) How to swim.
(b) How to fish.
(c) How to catch minnows.
(d) How to catch crayfish.
5. What does Dave's mother tell the principal in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) Dave gets into fights in the neighborhood.
(b) Dave's brothers hurt him.
(c) Dave is always falling down.
(d) Dave hurts himself and makes up wild stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave's mother refer to him by in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
2. What does Dave's father eventually do when he keeps losing the arguments with his wife?
3. How does Dave get caught asking for food on the way to school?
4. What piece of clothing has Dave's mother made him wear to school every day for the past two years in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
5. Why does Dave not mind running to school in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the school requires Dave to do before school every day in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
2. Summarize Dave's father's reaction to Dave's punishments, as described in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
3. Describe the types of inquiries Miss Moss starts to ask Dave in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food.
4. Describe how Dave's mother dislocates his shoulder.
5. Describe what Dave's family does on spring days in Chapter 2, Good Times.
6. As shared in Chapter 2, The Good Times, what is the family tradition about placing the angel on top of the Christmas tree?
7. Describe Dave's family life before the abuse starts.
8. Describe the lunch Dave has been taking to school for the past three years in Chapter 1, The Rescue.
9. Describe what Dave's mother does on the days his father is at work, beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy.
10. By Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, what is his position in the family?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)