|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the only time Dave ever has his prayers answered?
(a) When he prays that his mother gets hurt, she sprains her ankle.
(b) When he was five, he prayed for his mother to get sick and she did.
(c) When he prays for food, his father sneaks him a sandwich.
(d) When he prays for to get through the day, he does.
2. Why does Dave's mother suddenly allow Dave to eat with the family, watch TV, and give him new clothes to wear?
(a) Social services is coming for a visit.
(b) A neighbor is stopping by for coffee.
(c) The school principal is coming for a visit.
(d) She is sorry for the abuse.
3. When Dave's father leaves for good, what is Dave's reaction?
(a) He is indifferent to the situation.
(b) He is glad his father is gone.
(c) He knows that Mother will kill him.
(d) He thinks his mother will change now.
4. What is Father's reaction when mother tells him to stop helping Dave in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) He convinces her to let him help Dave.
(b) He slaps her.
(c) He complies with her demand.
(d) He tells her to shut up.
5. Who do Dave's brothers bring to the house to see him being punished in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) Their friends.
(b) The police.
(c) The principal.
(d) A neighbor.
6. How does Dave feel about his father after he tells his father about the stabbing?
(a) He loves his father.
(b) He loses all respect for his father.
(c) His father is a coward.
(d) He is afraid of his father.
7. How does Dave feel as he looks at the rundown cabin where his family used to vacation?
(c) Happy that it's falling down.
8. What does Dave come to believe just before he enters the fifth grade?
(a) There is no hope for him.
(b) His mother will kill him.
(c) He will always be a slave.
(d) There is no God for him.
9. What does Dave do when he finds that his stab wound is infected?
(a) He goes to his father for help.
(b) He goes to his mother for help.
(c) He goes to Stan for help.
(d) He takes care of it himself.
10. What does one of the ladies in the neighborhood give to Dave out of sympathy in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) Lunch in a brown bag.
(b) A piece of cake.
(c) A new shirt.
(d) Fifty cents.
11. How long does Dave go without food when his father is away?
(a) Ten days.
(b) One week.
(c) Four days.
(d) Five days.
12. How often does Dave receive lunch during the summer of 1971?
(a) Every other day.
(c) Every three days.
(d) Once a week .
13. How does Dave feel as he watches the sunset after being stabbed?
(c) Warm and alive.
14. How does Dave prevent the black hole from taking control of his life?
(a) He keeps a positive attitude.
(b) He confronts his mother.
(c) He gets therapy.
(d) He confronts his father.
15. What have the challenges of Dave's past done for him?
(a) Made him timid.
(b) Made him lose his self-confidence.
(c) Made him hate himself.
(d) Made him stronger inside.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of people does Dave meet after he is rescued?
2. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
3. What position does Dave's mother force him to do while the rest of the family eats?
4. What does Dave realize after years of struggling?
5. What is Dave's frame of mind when he sees his father leaving for work in the morning?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)