|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dave's mother feel after she stabs him?
(b) Angry with him.
(c) Angry at herself.
(d) No emotion.
2. Who does Dave hate more than anyone else?
(a) His father.
(c) His brothers.
(d) His mother.
3. What type of people does Dave meet after he is rescued?
(a) People who blame him for his abuse.
(b) Abusive people.
(c) People who teach him to make the right choices.
4. What is Dave's frame of mind during the summer of 1971?
(a) Low morale.
(d) Still hopeful.
5. How long does Dave go without food when his father is away?
(a) Four days.
(b) Five days.
(c) One week.
(d) Ten days.
6. What gift does Dave's turbulent past give him, according to the Epilogue?
(a) The satisfaction of revenge.
(b) An appreciation for things others take for granted.
(c) The knowledge that people are evil.
(d) The knowledge that God is dead.
7. Why does Dave's mother suddenly allow Dave to eat with the family, watch TV, and give him new clothes to wear?
(a) Social services is coming for a visit.
(b) A neighbor is stopping by for coffee.
(c) The school principal is coming for a visit.
(d) She is sorry for the abuse.
8. What does Dave's mother tell him to do while she takes his brothers to the zoo?
(a) Wash all the windows in the house.
(b) Sit in the basement in the dark.
(c) Sit on rocks in the backyard in the prisoner of war position.
(d) Stand against the wall.
9. Who do Dave's brothers bring to the house to see him being punished in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) The principal.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) The police.
(d) Their friends.
10. How often does Dave receive dinner during the summer of 1971?
(a) Every four days.
(b) Once every three days.
(c) Every day.
(d) Once every other day.
11. By Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer, when does Dave believe he will be free of his mother?
(a) When she dies and goes to hell.
(b) When he kills her.
(c) When he runs away.
(d) When his father has her arrested.
12. Why does Dave grow to hate his father?
(a) His father fails to rescue him.
(b) His father leaves the family.
(c) His father treats his brothers better.
(d) His father starts beating him.
13. What is Dave's frame of mind when he sees his father leaving for work in the morning?
(a) He is indifferent.
(b) He feels cold and hollow.
(c) He hates his father.
(d) He feels the warmth of love.
14. What is Dave's punishment if he looks at one of his brothers?
(a) A burn from the stove.
(b) A kick.
(c) No food.
(d) A slap in the face.
15. What lie does Dave's mother tell everyone about what Dave did to her while she was pregnant?
(a) Dave pushed her down the stairs.
(b) Dave kicked her in the stomach.
(c) Dave threw soap in her face.
(d) Dave tripped her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Dave's feelings as he lies on his cot the night he is stabbed?
2. How does Dave feel about his brothers as he hears them laugh at a TV show while they eat their desserts?
3. What do two of Dave's classmates tell him to do when they are on a field trip on a clipper ship?
4. What does Dave's father promise him as they talk quietly together in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
5. What does one of the ladies in the neighborhood give to Dave out of sympathy in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)