|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dave's mother tell him to do when he regains consciousness in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) Go eat some food.
(b) Go to bed.
(c) Finish the dishes.
(d) Clean up the mess.
2. How does Dave feel about his father after he tells his father about the stabbing?
(a) He loves his father.
(b) He loses all respect for his father.
(c) He is afraid of his father.
(d) His father is a coward.
3. Who do Dave's brothers bring to the house to see him being punished in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) A neighbor.
(b) The police.
(c) The principal.
(d) Their friends.
4. What does the piece of driftwood in the Epilogue remind Dave of?
(a) His mother sinking into drunkenness.
(b) His father giving up on him.
(c) His former life.
(d) His attitude toward his new life.
5. Where is Dave driving to after he leaves his view of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
(a) To his brother's house.
(b) To his mother's house.
(c) His secret utopia.
(d) To his old school.
6. What lie does Dave's mother tell everyone about what Dave did to her while she was pregnant?
(a) Dave threw soap in her face.
(b) Dave tripped her.
(c) Dave pushed her down the stairs.
(d) Dave kicked her in the stomach.
7. What is Dave's final thought in the book?
(a) I'll never let it go.
(b) I'm free.
(c) I'll never be free.
(d) I'll never forgive.
8. What does Dave do when he finds that his stab wound is infected?
(a) He goes to his mother for help.
(b) He takes care of it himself.
(c) He goes to his father for help.
(d) He goes to Stan for help.
9. How does Dave feel about the people around him by Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
(a) He wishes he could be like them.
(b) He wishes they would acknowledge him.
(c) He hates everyone and everything.
(d) He wishes they liked him
10. Who is the leader of a small band of girls that torment Dave?
11. How often does Dave receive dinner during the summer of 1971?
(a) Every day.
(b) Once every other day.
(c) Every four days.
(d) Once every three days.
12. What does Dave's father tell him when Dave goes to him for help after being stabbed?
(a) He tells Dave that they will go away together.
(b) He tells Dave to go and finish washing the dishes.
(c) He tells Dave that he will take him to the hospital.
(d) He tells Dave to go to bed.
13. What do two of Dave's classmates tell him to do when they are on a field trip on a clipper ship?
(a) Tell the principal about the abuse.
(b) Tell the police about the abuse.
(c) Kill his mother.
14. What is Dave thinking as he looks at his stab wound and sits at the bottom of the stairs?
(a) He thinks his mother will eventually kill him.
(b) He wills his wound to heal.
(c) He thinks he is a pitiful creature.
(d) He thinks he will die.
15. What is Dave's punishment if he looks at one of his brothers?
(a) A kick.
(b) A burn from the stove.
(c) A slap in the face.
(d) No food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dave's mother have him sleep after she carves pumpkins with his brothers?
2. What is Dave's frame of mind when he sees his father leaving for work in the morning?
3. What does Dave dream on the night his stab wound infection is cleaned?
4. What contest does Dave win in the fifth grade?
5. By Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer, how does Dave tolerate physical pain?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)