|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dave's mother feel after she stabs him?
(a) Angry with him.
(c) Angry at herself.
(d) No emotion.
2. What does Dave realize after years of struggling?
(a) In America, you can come from less and still become a winner.
(b) America is against the downtrodden.
(c) He does not want to live in America.
(d) America is not really the home of the free.
3. When Dave's father leaves for good, what is Dave's reaction?
(a) He thinks his mother will change now.
(b) He is glad his father is gone.
(c) He is indifferent to the situation.
(d) He knows that Mother will kill him.
4. Near the end of summer in Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's mother send him to do?
(a) Deliver newspapers.
(b) Grocery shop.
(c) Wash windows in the neighborhood.
(d) Mow lawns in the neighborhood.
5. Why does Dave's mother suddenly allow Dave to eat with the family, watch TV, and give him new clothes to wear?
(a) The school principal is coming for a visit.
(b) A neighbor is stopping by for coffee.
(c) She is sorry for the abuse.
(d) Social services is coming for a visit.
6. Where is Dave driving to after he leaves his view of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
(a) His secret utopia.
(b) To his brother's house.
(c) To his old school.
(d) To his mother's house.
7. Who is the bully in Dave's school that beats him up whenever he sees him?
8. What does Dave bring himself to eat after he finishes the breakfast dishes one day in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
(a) He eats leftover pancakes out of the dog's bowl.
(b) He eats cat food.
(c) He eats the bread his mother threw out to the birds.
(d) He eats food off the floor.
9. What does Dave's mother tell him to do while she takes his brothers to the zoo?
(a) Stand against the wall.
(b) Sit in the basement in the dark.
(c) Sit on rocks in the backyard in the prisoner of war position.
(d) Wash all the windows in the house.
10. What does Dave's father do to ease Dave's burden in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) He brings food to Dave in the middle of the night.
(b) He helps Dave with the dishes every night.
(c) He gives Dave extra blankets.
(d) He drives Dave to school.
11. Why does Dave grow to hate his father?
(a) His father leaves the family.
(b) His father treats his brothers better.
(c) His father fails to rescue him.
(d) His father starts beating him.
12. When does Dave feel the most alone?
(a) When his father leaves for work.
(b) When he sits on the stairs.
(c) When he goes to bed.
(d) When he is in school.
13. How is Dave treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital?
(a) He is given food and plays with his brothers.
(b) He is given food but stays in the basement.
(c) He is still ostracized.
(d) He is given food but is beaten by his brothers.
14. How does Dave react when his father says goodbye to him?
(a) He does not care about life anymore.
(b) He vows to be a good boy.
(c) He will try to get mother to love him.
(d) He will try to get help from his brothers.
15. What is Dave thinking as he looks at his stab wound and sits at the bottom of the stairs?
(a) He thinks his mother will eventually kill him.
(b) He thinks he will die.
(c) He wills his wound to heal.
(d) He thinks he is a pitiful creature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the code of Dave's family?
2. Where does Dave bring his son at the end of the book?
3. What is Dave's punishment for exceeding the allotted time for chores in Chapter 5, The Accident?
4. Who does Dave rely upon when he needs encouragement and strength, according to the Epilogue?
5. How does Dave prevent the black hole from taking control of his life?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)