|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dave's father tell him when Dave goes to him for help after being stabbed?
(a) He tells Dave that they will go away together.
(b) He tells Dave that he will take him to the hospital.
(c) He tells Dave to go and finish washing the dishes.
(d) He tells Dave to go to bed.
2. How does Dave react when his father says goodbye to him?
(a) He will try to get mother to love him.
(b) He will try to get help from his brothers.
(c) He does not care about life anymore.
(d) He vows to be a good boy.
3. What is Dave thinking as he looks at his stab wound and sits at the bottom of the stairs?
(a) He wills his wound to heal.
(b) He thinks his mother will eventually kill him.
(c) He thinks he will die.
(d) He thinks he is a pitiful creature.
4. What does Dave's mother tell him to do after she changes his bloody clothes in in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) Go to the basement.
(b) Go to bed.
(c) Clean the blood off the rug.
(d) Play in the driveway with his brothers.
5. Why does Dave grow to hate his father?
(a) His father treats his brothers better.
(b) His father leaves the family.
(c) His father starts beating him.
(d) His father fails to rescue him.
6. What does Dave realize after years of struggling?
(a) In America, you can come from less and still become a winner.
(b) America is against the downtrodden.
(c) America is not really the home of the free.
(d) He does not want to live in America.
7. What is Russell's reaction to the harsh way mother talks to Dave?
(a) He cries.
(b) He cringes in fear.
(c) He jumps back, startled.
(d) No reaction.
8. What have the challenges of Dave's past done for him?
(a) Made him stronger inside.
(b) Made him timid.
(c) Made him hate himself.
(d) Made him lose his self-confidence.
9. What are Dave's feelings as he lies on his cot the night he is stabbed?
(a) He feels ashamed.
(b) He gives up.
(c) He feels abandoned.
(d) He feels like a wounded animal.
10. What is the new baby's name?
11. What type of people does Dave meet after he is rescued?
(a) People who teach him to make the right choices.
(c) People who blame him for his abuse.
(d) Abusive people.
12. Where does Dave bring his son at the end of the book?
(a) His mother's house.
(b) His hometown.
(c) His old school.
(d) The Russian River.
13. What does Dave's father promise him as they talk quietly together in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) Someday they will leave Mother's house.
(b) He will force Mother to stop her abuse.
(c) He will have Mother locked up.
(d) He will bring food to Dave every day.
14. What does Dave's fourth grade substitute teacher give to students who do good work?
(a) Ice cream.
(b) A balloon.
(c) A new pencil.
(d) A sticker.
15. When Dave brings home a letter from Mr. Zeigler telling Mother about Dave's being the top student in the class, how does Mother react?
(a) She says that she is proud of him.
(b) She tells Dave that she wishes he were dead.
(c) She burns the letter.
(d) She gives Dave a hug.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the secret that Dave learns quickly from his bad situation?
2. How does Dave refer to Mother's house after his father leaves?
3. What does Dave refuse to do in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer despite how his mother treats him?
4. How many days pass before Dave's stab wound gets infected?
5. Where does Dave's mother have him sleep after she carves pumpkins with his brothers?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)