|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does Dave's turbulent past give him, according to the Epilogue?
(a) An appreciation for things others take for granted.
(b) The satisfaction of revenge.
(c) The knowledge that people are evil.
(d) The knowledge that God is dead.
2. What does the piece of driftwood in the Epilogue remind Dave of?
(a) His attitude toward his new life.
(b) His father giving up on him.
(c) His former life.
(d) His mother sinking into drunkenness.
3. What does Dave do when he finds that his stab wound is infected?
(a) He goes to his father for help.
(b) He goes to his mother for help.
(c) He takes care of it himself.
(d) He goes to Stan for help.
4. What does Dave refuse to do in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer despite how his mother treats him?
(a) Stand in the garden.
(b) Go to the basement.
(d) Sit on the stairs.
5. What does Dave's mother tell him to do when he regains consciousness in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) Clean up the mess.
(b) Go to bed.
(c) Go eat some food.
(d) Finish the dishes.
6. What does Dave dream on the night his stab wound infection is cleaned?
(a) He dreams he is Superman.
(b) He dreams he fall from a cliff.
(c) He dreams that he drowns in the sea.
(d) He dreams that he kills his mother.
7. When Dave brings home a letter from Mr. Zeigler telling Mother about Dave's being the top student in the class, how does Mother react?
(a) She tells Dave that she wishes he were dead.
(b) She says that she is proud of him.
(c) She burns the letter.
(d) She gives Dave a hug.
8. What position does Dave's mother force him to do while the rest of the family eats?
(a) Standing on a chair in the corner.
(b) Standing with his face against the wall .
(c) The prisoner of war position at the bottom of the stairs.
(d) Kneeling on the floor in the corner.
9. How many days pass before Dave's stab wound gets infected?
10. How long does Dave go without food when his father is away?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Four days.
(c) Five days.
(d) One week.
11. What does Dave manage to do when he is rescued?
(a) Make sure his mother suffers.
(b) Gets revenge on Stan.
(c) Vow to punish his father.
(d) Let go of his past.
12. What is Dave thinking as he looks at his stab wound and sits at the bottom of the stairs?
(a) He thinks he is a pitiful creature.
(b) He thinks his mother will eventually kill him.
(c) He wills his wound to heal.
(d) He thinks he will die.
13. Who is the bully in Dave's school that beats him up whenever he sees him?
14. How often does Dave receive dinner during the summer of 1971?
(a) Once every three days.
(b) Once every other day.
(c) Every four days.
(d) Every day.
15. By Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer, how does Dave tolerate physical pain?
(a) Even light slaps feel like torture.
(b) He can barely stand it.
(c) He is disconnected from it.
(d) It is worse than ever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dave's mother have him sleep after she carves pumpkins with his brothers?
2. What changes about Dave's sleeping habits in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
3. When Dave's mother returns from the zoo, what does she do to him?
4. What new torture does Dave's mother come up with when she sends him to clean the bathroom in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
5. When is the only time Dave ever has his prayers answered?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)