|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which member of the family watches Dave's every move and reports his actions back to his mother?
2. How does Dave feel as he watches the sunset after being stabbed?
(b) Warm and alive.
3. What gift does Dave's turbulent past give him, according to the Epilogue?
(a) The satisfaction of revenge.
(b) The knowledge that God is dead.
(c) The knowledge that people are evil.
(d) An appreciation for things others take for granted.
4. Near the end of summer in Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's mother send him to do?
(a) Deliver newspapers.
(b) Wash windows in the neighborhood.
(c) Grocery shop.
(d) Mow lawns in the neighborhood.
5. What happens to Dave in the winter of 1973, while he is in his classroom?
(a) He slaps another student.
(b) He screams at the teacher.
(c) He wins the spelling bee.
(d) He runs from the classroom screaming and slams the door behind him.
6. What have the challenges of Dave's past done for him?
(a) Made him stronger inside.
(b) Made him timid.
(c) Made him hate himself.
(d) Made him lose his self-confidence.
7. What is Dave thinking as he stands facing the beauty of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
(a) How much he hates his mother
(b) He is alive.
(c) He will never forget his pain.
(d) He feels sorry for himself.
8. What does Dave's mother tell him to do when he regains consciousness in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) Clean up the mess.
(b) Go eat some food.
(c) Finish the dishes.
(d) Go to bed.
9. What does Dave's father tell him when Dave goes to him for help after being stabbed?
(a) He tells Dave that he will take him to the hospital.
(b) He tells Dave to go to bed.
(c) He tells Dave that they will go away together.
(d) He tells Dave to go and finish washing the dishes.
10. How does Dave feel as he looks at the rundown cabin where his family used to vacation?
(b) Happy that it's falling down.
11. What happens when Dave's mother threatens to kill him with a knife?
(a) She stabs Dave in the arm.
(b) She stabs Dave in the hand.
(c) She purposely stabs Dave in the stomach.
(d) She falls and the knife stabs Dave in the chest accidentally.
12. Dave's mother offers him food after many days in Chapter 6, While Father is Away. What does she do when he is about to eat it?
(a) Forces him to say grace.
(b) Forces him to beg .
(c) Asks him for a kiss.
(d) Grabs the plate away.
13. What is Dave thinking as he looks at his stab wound and sits at the bottom of the stairs?
(a) He wills his wound to heal.
(b) He thinks he is a pitiful creature.
(c) He thinks his mother will eventually kill him.
(d) He thinks he will die.
14. By Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer, how does Dave tolerate physical pain?
(a) He can barely stand it.
(b) It is worse than ever.
(c) He is disconnected from it.
(d) Even light slaps feel like torture.
15. How does Dave's mother feel after she stabs him?
(a) Angry at herself.
(b) No emotion.
(d) Angry with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave feel about his brothers as he hears them laugh at a TV show while they eat their desserts?
2. What does Dave manage to do when he is rescued?
3. What are Dave's feelings as he lies on his cot the night he is stabbed?
4. What does Dave dream on the night his stab wound infection is cleaned?
5. What does Dave think about 'the accident' with his mother when he regains consciousness?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)