|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Dave go without food when his father is away?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Four days.
(c) One week.
(d) Five days.
2. What does Dave's mother tell him to do after she changes his bloody clothes in in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) Go to the basement.
(b) Clean the blood off the rug.
(c) Go to bed.
(d) Play in the driveway with his brothers.
3. Who is the bully in Dave's school that beats him up whenever he sees him?
4. By Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer, how does Dave tolerate physical pain?
(a) It is worse than ever.
(b) Even light slaps feel like torture.
(c) He can barely stand it.
(d) He is disconnected from it.
5. What does Dave's mother tell him to do while she takes his brothers to the zoo?
(a) Stand against the wall.
(b) Sit on rocks in the backyard in the prisoner of war position.
(c) Wash all the windows in the house.
(d) Sit in the basement in the dark.
6. What gift does Dave's turbulent past give him, according to the Epilogue?
(a) The knowledge that people are evil.
(b) An appreciation for things others take for granted.
(c) The satisfaction of revenge.
(d) The knowledge that God is dead.
7. What type of people does Dave meet after he is rescued?
(b) People who teach him to make the right choices.
(c) People who blame him for his abuse.
(d) Abusive people.
8. Why does Dave's mother give him roller skates for Christmas?
(a) So she can send him out in the cold to skate for hours.
(b) She wants him to be happy one day of the year.
(c) She got them free from the thrift shop.
(d) Dave's father told her to give Dave a present.
9. Why does the school nurse begin to be interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) One of the other children reports Dave's condition to her.
(b) The substitute teacher reports Dave's condition to her.
(c) One of Dave's neighbors calls the school.
(d) She notices Dave's wretched appearance.
10. What does Dave's mother tell him to do when he regains consciousness in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) Go eat some food.
(b) Finish the dishes.
(c) Clean up the mess.
(d) Go to bed.
11. How does Dave's mother feel after she stabs him?
(b) Angry at herself.
(c) No emotion.
(d) Angry with him.
12. When Dave's mother returns from the zoo, what does she do to him?
(a) Slaps his face.
(b) Twists his arm.
(c) Pulls a chunk of hair out of his head.
(d) Puts him in a tub of cold water, forcing his head underwater.
13. How does Dave prevent the black hole from taking control of his life?
(a) He confronts his father.
(b) He keeps a positive attitude.
(c) He gets therapy.
(d) He confronts his mother.
14. Which member of the family watches Dave's every move and reports his actions back to his mother?
15. What are Dave's feelings as he lies on his cot the night he is stabbed?
(a) He gives up.
(b) He feels like a wounded animal.
(c) He feels abandoned.
(d) He feels ashamed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dave's mother have him sleep after she carves pumpkins with his brothers?
2. What does Dave think about 'the accident' with his mother when he regains consciousness?
3. What does Dave's mother do after Dave is stabbed?
4. How many days pass before Dave's stab wound gets infected?
5. What lie does Dave's mother tell everyone about what Dave did to her while she was pregnant?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)