|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dave refuse to do in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer despite how his mother treats him?
(a) Stand in the garden.
(b) Sit on the stairs.
(c) Go to the basement.
2. What type of people does Dave meet after he is rescued?
(a) People who teach him to make the right choices.
(b) People who blame him for his abuse.
(d) Abusive people.
3. What does Dave's mother do after Dave is stabbed?
(a) She leaves him bleeding on the floor.
(b) She props him up on the toilet and wraps his wound.
(c) She carries him to the garage and leaves him there.
(d) She calls her husband to help.
4. How often does Dave receive dinner during the summer of 1971?
(a) Every four days.
(b) Once every other day.
(c) Every day.
(d) Once every three days.
5. What does Dave's fourth grade substitute teacher give to students who do good work?
(a) A balloon.
(b) Ice cream.
(c) A sticker.
(d) A new pencil.
6. What is Dave's punishment if he looks at one of his brothers?
(a) A burn from the stove.
(b) A slap in the face.
(c) A kick.
(d) No food.
7. When Dave's mother returns from the zoo, what does she do to him?
(a) Twists his arm.
(b) Slaps his face.
(c) Puts him in a tub of cold water, forcing his head underwater.
(d) Pulls a chunk of hair out of his head.
8. What does Dave come to believe just before he enters the fifth grade?
(a) There is no God for him.
(b) There is no hope for him.
(c) He will always be a slave.
(d) His mother will kill him.
9. What is Dave's punishment for exceeding the allotted time for chores in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) A burn from the stove.
(b) A kick.
(c) No food.
(d) A slap.
10. What is Russell's reaction to the harsh way mother talks to Dave?
(a) He jumps back, startled.
(b) He cringes in fear.
(c) He cries.
(d) No reaction.
11. What does one of the ladies in the neighborhood give to Dave out of sympathy in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) A new shirt.
(b) Fifty cents.
(c) Lunch in a brown bag.
(d) A piece of cake.
12. When Dave's father leaves for good, what is Dave's reaction?
(a) He thinks his mother will change now.
(b) He is glad his father is gone.
(c) He is indifferent to the situation.
(d) He knows that Mother will kill him.
13. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
(a) Break itself on the rocks.
(b) Speak to him.
(c) Struggling to stay ashore.
(d) Sink into the sea.
14. How often does Dave receive lunch during the summer of 1971?
(a) Every three days.
(b) Once a week .
(c) Every other day.
15. By Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer, when does Dave believe he will be free of his mother?
(a) When he kills her.
(b) When he runs away.
(c) When she dies and goes to hell.
(d) When his father has her arrested.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave's father promise him as they talk quietly together in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
2. When is the only time Dave ever has his prayers answered?
3. Why does Dave's mother suddenly allow Dave to eat with the family, watch TV, and give him new clothes to wear?
4. Who does Dave hate more than anyone else?
5. What is the secret that Dave learns quickly from his bad situation?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)