|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Dave receive dinner during the summer of 1971?
(a) Every four days.
(b) Every day.
(c) Once every other day.
(d) Once every three days.
2. What gift does Dave's turbulent past give him, according to the Epilogue?
(a) The knowledge that people are evil.
(b) The knowledge that God is dead.
(c) The satisfaction of revenge.
(d) An appreciation for things others take for granted.
3. What is Russell's reaction to the harsh way mother talks to Dave?
(a) No reaction.
(b) He jumps back, startled.
(c) He cringes in fear.
(d) He cries.
4. What does Dave do to keep from screaming while his stab wound is being cleaned?
(a) Bites his tongue.
(b) Buries his face in a pillow.
(c) Stuffs a rag in his mouth.
(d) Puts his fist in his mouth.
5. What career choice does Dave make as an adult?
(a) He becomes a minister.
(b) He joins the Air Force.
(c) He joins the Navy.
(d) He becomes a prison guard.
6. What does Dave's father promise him as they talk quietly together in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) He will force Mother to stop her abuse.
(b) He will bring food to Dave every day.
(c) He will have Mother locked up.
(d) Someday they will leave Mother's house.
7. How does Dave feel about the people around him by Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
(a) He wishes they liked him
(b) He wishes they would acknowledge him.
(c) He hates everyone and everything.
(d) He wishes he could be like them.
8. What happens to Dave in the winter of 1973, while he is in his classroom?
(a) He screams at the teacher.
(b) He runs from the classroom screaming and slams the door behind him.
(c) He wins the spelling bee.
(d) He slaps another student.
9. Why does Dave's mother suddenly allow Dave to eat with the family, watch TV, and give him new clothes to wear?
(a) The school principal is coming for a visit.
(b) A neighbor is stopping by for coffee.
(c) She is sorry for the abuse.
(d) Social services is coming for a visit.
10. What happens when Dave's mother threatens to kill him with a knife?
(a) She stabs Dave in the arm.
(b) She falls and the knife stabs Dave in the chest accidentally.
(c) She purposely stabs Dave in the stomach.
(d) She stabs Dave in the hand.
11. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
(a) Break itself on the rocks.
(b) Struggling to stay ashore.
(c) Speak to him.
(d) Sink into the sea.
12. What does Dave come to believe just before he enters the fifth grade?
(a) There is no hope for him.
(b) His mother will kill him.
(c) He will always be a slave.
(d) There is no God for him.
13. What is the one thing Dave wants, even more than food in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(b) New Clothes.
14. What does Dave refuse to do in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer despite how his mother treats him?
(a) Go to the basement.
(b) Sit on the stairs.
(c) Stand in the garden.
15. Why does Dave's mother give him roller skates for Christmas?
(a) She wants him to be happy one day of the year.
(b) Dave's father told her to give Dave a present.
(c) She got them free from the thrift shop.
(d) So she can send him out in the cold to skate for hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dave's mother returns from the zoo, what does she do to him?
2. What is Dave's frame of mind during the summer of 1971?
3. What do two of Dave's classmates tell him to do when they are on a field trip on a clipper ship?
4. What is Dave thinking as he stands facing the beauty of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
5. What does Dave promise himself he will do if he comes out of his situation alive?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)