|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dave refer to Mother's house after his father leaves?
(a) The Prison.
(b) The Nuthouse.
(c) The Dungeon.
(d) The Madhouse.
2. By Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer, when does Dave believe he will be free of his mother?
(a) When she dies and goes to hell.
(b) When he kills her.
(c) When his father has her arrested.
(d) When he runs away.
3. What does Dave's father do to ease Dave's burden in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) He drives Dave to school.
(b) He gives Dave extra blankets.
(c) He helps Dave with the dishes every night.
(d) He brings food to Dave in the middle of the night.
4. Why does Dave grow to hate his father?
(a) His father treats his brothers better.
(b) His father starts beating him.
(c) His father fails to rescue him.
(d) His father leaves the family.
5. When Dave brings home a letter from Mr. Zeigler telling Mother about Dave's being the top student in the class, how does Mother react?
(a) She gives Dave a hug.
(b) She burns the letter.
(c) She says that she is proud of him.
(d) She tells Dave that she wishes he were dead.
6. What changes about Dave's sleeping habits in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
(a) He no longer dreams.
(b) He sleeps as much as he can.
(c) He dreams he escapes every night.
(d) He can't sleep at all.
7. Near the end of summer in Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's mother send him to do?
(a) Wash windows in the neighborhood.
(b) Deliver newspapers.
(c) Mow lawns in the neighborhood.
(d) Grocery shop.
8. How does Dave feel about his brothers as he hears them laugh at a TV show while they eat their desserts?
9. What lie does Dave's mother tell everyone about what Dave did to her while she was pregnant?
(a) Dave kicked her in the stomach.
(b) Dave pushed her down the stairs.
(c) Dave threw soap in her face.
(d) Dave tripped her.
10. How does Dave feel as he watches the sunset after being stabbed?
(d) Warm and alive.
11. What gift does Dave's turbulent past give him, according to the Epilogue?
(a) An appreciation for things others take for granted.
(b) The satisfaction of revenge.
(c) The knowledge that God is dead.
(d) The knowledge that people are evil.
12. How does Dave's mother feel after she stabs him?
(b) Angry at herself.
(c) No emotion.
(d) Angry with him.
13. What contest does Dave win in the fifth grade?
(a) The rope climb.
(b) The spelling bee.
(c) Naming the school newspaper.
(d) The jump rope contest.
14. What happens when Dave's mother threatens to kill him with a knife?
(a) She purposely stabs Dave in the stomach.
(b) She stabs Dave in the arm.
(c) She stabs Dave in the hand.
(d) She falls and the knife stabs Dave in the chest accidentally.
15. What do two of Dave's classmates tell him to do when they are on a field trip on a clipper ship?
(b) Tell the principal about the abuse.
(c) Tell the police about the abuse.
(d) Kill his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Dave's feelings as he lies on his cot the night he is stabbed?
2. What is Father's reaction when mother tells him to stop helping Dave in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
3. How does Dave feel about the people around him by Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
4. How often does Dave receive lunch during the summer of 1971?
5. What does Dave come to believe just before he enters the fifth grade?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)