|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one thing Dave wants, even more than food in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(c) New Clothes.
2. Who is the bully in Dave's school that beats him up whenever he sees him?
3. What gift does Dave's turbulent past give him, according to the Epilogue?
(a) The knowledge that people are evil.
(b) An appreciation for things others take for granted.
(c) The knowledge that God is dead.
(d) The satisfaction of revenge.
4. What does Dave's mother tell him to do while she takes his brothers to the zoo?
(a) Sit in the basement in the dark.
(b) Wash all the windows in the house.
(c) Sit on rocks in the backyard in the prisoner of war position.
(d) Stand against the wall.
5. What is the code of Dave's family?
(a) Only Mother gets to control Dave
(b) Watch each other's back.
(c) Everyone blames Dave for everything.
(d) If they don't acknowledge the problem, it does not exist.
6. What is Father's reaction when mother tells him to stop helping Dave in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) He complies with her demand.
(b) He convinces her to let him help Dave.
(c) He slaps her.
(d) He tells her to shut up.
7. Dave's mother offers him food after many days in Chapter 6, While Father is Away. What does she do when he is about to eat it?
(a) Asks him for a kiss.
(b) Forces him to beg .
(c) Grabs the plate away.
(d) Forces him to say grace.
8. Near the end of summer in Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's mother send him to do?
(a) Mow lawns in the neighborhood.
(b) Grocery shop.
(c) Wash windows in the neighborhood.
(d) Deliver newspapers.
9. What happens when Dave's mother threatens to kill him with a knife?
(a) She falls and the knife stabs Dave in the chest accidentally.
(b) She stabs Dave in the hand.
(c) She purposely stabs Dave in the stomach.
(d) She stabs Dave in the arm.
10. What new torture does Dave's mother come up with when she sends him to clean the bathroom in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) She has him wash the bathroom floor with his shirt.
(b) She puts a bucket of Clorox and ammonia in the room with him.
(c) She has him clean up broken glass in bare feet and hands.
(d) She forces him to clean the toilet with his toothbrush.
11. How does Dave feel about his father after he tells his father about the stabbing?
(a) His father is a coward.
(b) He is afraid of his father.
(c) He loves his father.
(d) He loses all respect for his father.
12. What does Dave's mother tell him to do when he regains consciousness in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) Go to bed.
(b) Clean up the mess.
(c) Finish the dishes.
(d) Go eat some food.
13. What is Dave thinking as he stands facing the beauty of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
(a) He will never forget his pain.
(b) How much he hates his mother
(c) He feels sorry for himself.
(d) He is alive.
14. What is Dave's punishment for exceeding the allotted time for chores in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) A kick.
(b) A slap.
(c) No food.
(d) A burn from the stove.
15. What does Dave refuse to do in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer despite how his mother treats him?
(b) Stand in the garden.
(c) Go to the basement.
(d) Sit on the stairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave react when his father says goodbye to him?
2. What does Dave dream on the night his stab wound infection is cleaned?
3. What does Dave promise himself he will do if he comes out of his situation alive?
4. What is Dave's final thought in the book?
5. When Dave's mother returns from the zoo, what does she do to him?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)