|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What have the challenges of Dave's past done for him?
(a) Made him hate himself.
(b) Made him timid.
(c) Made him stronger inside.
(d) Made him lose his self-confidence.
2. What does Dave's father tell him when Dave goes to him for help after being stabbed?
(a) He tells Dave to go and finish washing the dishes.
(b) He tells Dave to go to bed.
(c) He tells Dave that he will take him to the hospital.
(d) He tells Dave that they will go away together.
3. What happens to Dave in the winter of 1973, while he is in his classroom?
(a) He screams at the teacher.
(b) He wins the spelling bee.
(c) He slaps another student.
(d) He runs from the classroom screaming and slams the door behind him.
4. Who does Dave rely upon when he needs encouragement and strength, according to the Epilogue?
(a) His therapist.
(b) His father.
(d) His social worker.
5. How does Dave prevent the black hole from taking control of his life?
(a) He confronts his mother.
(b) He keeps a positive attitude.
(c) He gets therapy.
(d) He confronts his father.
6. Who is the leader of a small band of girls that torment Dave?
7. How does Dave feel as he looks at the rundown cabin where his family used to vacation?
(d) Happy that it's falling down.
8. Where does Dave bring his son at the end of the book?
(a) His hometown.
(b) His old school.
(c) His mother's house.
(d) The Russian River.
9. Why does Dave's mother give him roller skates for Christmas?
(a) Dave's father told her to give Dave a present.
(b) She wants him to be happy one day of the year.
(c) She got them free from the thrift shop.
(d) So she can send him out in the cold to skate for hours.
10. What does Dave come to believe just before he enters the fifth grade?
(a) There is no hope for him.
(b) He will always be a slave.
(c) His mother will kill him.
(d) There is no God for him.
11. What does Dave promise himself he will do if he comes out of his situation alive?
(a) He will be the best he can be.
(b) He will get revenge on his mother.
(c) He will get revenge on his father.
(d) He will get revenge on his brothers.
12. What does Dave's father do to ease Dave's burden in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) He brings food to Dave in the middle of the night.
(b) He helps Dave with the dishes every night.
(c) He drives Dave to school.
(d) He gives Dave extra blankets.
13. By Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer, when does Dave believe he will be free of his mother?
(a) When he runs away.
(b) When his father has her arrested.
(c) When he kills her.
(d) When she dies and goes to hell.
14. What career choice does Dave make as an adult?
(a) He becomes a prison guard.
(b) He becomes a minister.
(c) He joins the Air Force.
(d) He joins the Navy.
15. Who is the bully in Dave's school that beats him up whenever he sees him?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
2. Who do Dave's brothers bring to the house to see him being punished in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
3. What does one of the ladies in the neighborhood give to Dave out of sympathy in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
4. How many days pass before Dave's stab wound gets infected?
5. What does Dave think about 'the accident' with his mother when he regains consciousness?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)