|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dave's frame of mind when he sees his father leaving for work in the morning?
(a) He hates his father.
(b) He feels cold and hollow.
(c) He feels the warmth of love.
(d) He is indifferent.
2. Dave's mother offers him food after many days in Chapter 6, While Father is Away. What does she do when he is about to eat it?
(a) Asks him for a kiss.
(b) Forces him to say grace.
(c) Grabs the plate away.
(d) Forces him to beg .
3. What does Dave's mother tell him to do when he regains consciousness in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) Go eat some food.
(b) Go to bed.
(c) Clean up the mess.
(d) Finish the dishes.
4. How does Dave feel about his father after he tells his father about the stabbing?
(a) He loses all respect for his father.
(b) He is afraid of his father.
(c) He loves his father.
(d) His father is a coward.
5. How does Dave's mother feel after she stabs him?
(a) No emotion.
(c) Angry with him.
(d) Angry at herself.
6. What career choice does Dave make as an adult?
(a) He joins the Navy.
(b) He becomes a prison guard.
(c) He joins the Air Force.
(d) He becomes a minister.
7. Who is the bully in Dave's school that beats him up whenever he sees him?
8. Who do Dave's brothers bring to the house to see him being punished in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) A neighbor.
(b) The police.
(c) Their friends.
(d) The principal.
9. What does Dave do to keep from screaming while his stab wound is being cleaned?
(a) Bites his tongue.
(b) Buries his face in a pillow.
(c) Stuffs a rag in his mouth.
(d) Puts his fist in his mouth.
10. As Dave contemplates his abuse as a child, what does he reveal that he felt was causing his dire situation?
(a) A giant undertow was sucking him down.
(b) The jealousy of his brothers.
(c) His misbehavior.
(d) The lies his teachers told his mother about him.
11. How does Dave feel about his brothers as he hears them laugh at a TV show while they eat their desserts?
12. What does Dave's father do to ease Dave's burden in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) He helps Dave with the dishes every night.
(b) He brings food to Dave in the middle of the night.
(c) He drives Dave to school.
(d) He gives Dave extra blankets.
13. How does Dave feel as he watches the sunset after being stabbed?
(c) Warm and alive.
14. By Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer, how does Dave tolerate physical pain?
(a) Even light slaps feel like torture.
(b) He is disconnected from it.
(c) He can barely stand it.
(d) It is worse than ever.
15. Where does Dave bring his son at the end of the book?
(a) His old school.
(b) His mother's house.
(c) The Russian River.
(d) His hometown.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave realize after years of struggling?
2. What does Dave manage to do when he is rescued?
3. Where is Dave driving to after he leaves his view of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
4. What does Dave come to believe just before he enters the fifth grade?
5. How does Dave prevent the black hole from taking control of his life?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)