|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the leader of a small band of girls that torment Dave?
2. Why does Dave's mother suddenly allow Dave to eat with the family, watch TV, and give him new clothes to wear?
(a) Social services is coming for a visit.
(b) A neighbor is stopping by for coffee.
(c) The school principal is coming for a visit.
(d) She is sorry for the abuse.
3. What does Dave's father promise him as they talk quietly together in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) He will force Mother to stop her abuse.
(b) He will bring food to Dave every day.
(c) Someday they will leave Mother's house.
(d) He will have Mother locked up.
4. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
(a) Struggling to stay ashore.
(b) Speak to him.
(c) Break itself on the rocks.
(d) Sink into the sea.
5. What does the piece of driftwood in the Epilogue remind Dave of?
(a) His father giving up on him.
(b) His former life.
(c) His attitude toward his new life.
(d) His mother sinking into drunkenness.
6. What contest does Dave win in the fifth grade?
(a) Naming the school newspaper.
(b) The jump rope contest.
(c) The rope climb.
(d) The spelling bee.
7. Who does Dave hate more than anyone else?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(d) His brothers.
8. What does Dave's mother tell him to do when he regains consciousness in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) Go eat some food.
(b) Finish the dishes.
(c) Clean up the mess.
(d) Go to bed.
9. What is Russell's reaction to the harsh way mother talks to Dave?
(a) No reaction.
(b) He jumps back, startled.
(c) He cries.
(d) He cringes in fear.
10. As Dave contemplates his abuse as a child, what does he reveal that he felt was causing his dire situation?
(a) A giant undertow was sucking him down.
(b) His misbehavior.
(c) The jealousy of his brothers.
(d) The lies his teachers told his mother about him.
11. What career choice does Dave make as an adult?
(a) He joins the Navy.
(b) He becomes a minister.
(c) He becomes a prison guard.
(d) He joins the Air Force.
12. How does Dave prevent the black hole from taking control of his life?
(a) He keeps a positive attitude.
(b) He confronts his father.
(c) He confronts his mother.
(d) He gets therapy.
13. What is Father's reaction when mother tells him to stop helping Dave in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) He slaps her.
(b) He complies with her demand.
(c) He tells her to shut up.
(d) He convinces her to let him help Dave.
14. What does Dave's mother tell him to do after she changes his bloody clothes in in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) Clean the blood off the rug.
(b) Go to the basement.
(c) Go to bed.
(d) Play in the driveway with his brothers.
15. What does Dave promise himself he will do if he comes out of his situation alive?
(a) He will be the best he can be.
(b) He will get revenge on his brothers.
(c) He will get revenge on his father.
(d) He will get revenge on his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave manage to do when he is rescued?
2. When Dave brings home a letter from Mr. Zeigler telling Mother about Dave's being the top student in the class, how does Mother react?
3. What new torture does Dave's mother come up with when she sends him to clean the bathroom in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
4. What does Dave refuse to do in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer despite how his mother treats him?
5. What lie does Dave's mother tell everyone about what Dave did to her while she was pregnant?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)