|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dave's father do to ease Dave's burden in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) He helps Dave with the dishes every night.
(b) He gives Dave extra blankets.
(c) He drives Dave to school.
(d) He brings food to Dave in the middle of the night.
2. What is Dave's frame of mind during the summer of 1971?
(a) Still hopeful.
(d) Low morale.
3. How does Dave's mother feel after she stabs him?
(b) No emotion.
(c) Angry with him.
(d) Angry at herself.
4. What career choice does Dave make as an adult?
(a) He becomes a minister.
(b) He joins the Air Force.
(c) He becomes a prison guard.
(d) He joins the Navy.
5. What does Dave's mother tell him to do while she takes his brothers to the zoo?
(a) Stand against the wall.
(b) Sit on rocks in the backyard in the prisoner of war position.
(c) Wash all the windows in the house.
(d) Sit in the basement in the dark.
6. When is the only time Dave ever has his prayers answered?
(a) When he prays that his mother gets hurt, she sprains her ankle.
(b) When he prays for to get through the day, he does.
(c) When he prays for food, his father sneaks him a sandwich.
(d) When he was five, he prayed for his mother to get sick and she did.
7. How does Dave refer to Mother's house after his father leaves?
(a) The Madhouse.
(b) The Prison.
(c) The Nuthouse.
(d) The Dungeon.
8. What are Dave's feelings as he lies on his cot the night he is stabbed?
(a) He gives up.
(b) He feels ashamed.
(c) He feels abandoned.
(d) He feels like a wounded animal.
9. When does Dave feel the most alone?
(a) When he is in school.
(b) When he sits on the stairs.
(c) When his father leaves for work.
(d) When he goes to bed.
10. What does Dave's mother tell him to do when he regains consciousness in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) Go to bed.
(b) Clean up the mess.
(c) Finish the dishes.
(d) Go eat some food.
11. What happens to Dave in the winter of 1973, while he is in his classroom?
(a) He runs from the classroom screaming and slams the door behind him.
(b) He slaps another student.
(c) He screams at the teacher.
(d) He wins the spelling bee.
12. What does Dave do to keep from screaming while his stab wound is being cleaned?
(a) Stuffs a rag in his mouth.
(b) Buries his face in a pillow.
(c) Puts his fist in his mouth.
(d) Bites his tongue.
13. What is Dave's punishment if he looks at one of his brothers?
(a) No food.
(b) A slap in the face.
(c) A burn from the stove.
(d) A kick.
14. How does Dave feel as he looks at the rundown cabin where his family used to vacation?
(d) Happy that it's falling down.
15. What changes about Dave's sleeping habits in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
(a) He dreams he escapes every night.
(b) He no longer dreams.
(c) He can't sleep at all.
(d) He sleeps as much as he can.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Dave contemplates his abuse as a child, what does he reveal that he felt was causing his dire situation?
2. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
3. What does Dave's mother tell him to do after she changes his bloody clothes in in Chapter 5, The Accident?
4. What does Dave think about 'the accident' with his mother when he regains consciousness?
5. What is the new baby's name?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)