|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dave feel about the people around him by Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
(a) He wishes they liked him
(b) He wishes he could be like them.
(c) He wishes they would acknowledge him.
(d) He hates everyone and everything.
2. What happens to Dave in the winter of 1973, while he is in his classroom?
(a) He runs from the classroom screaming and slams the door behind him.
(b) He wins the spelling bee.
(c) He screams at the teacher.
(d) He slaps another student.
3. What are Dave's feelings as he lies on his cot the night he is stabbed?
(a) He feels abandoned.
(b) He feels like a wounded animal.
(c) He gives up.
(d) He feels ashamed.
4. Dave's mother offers him food after many days in Chapter 6, While Father is Away. What does she do when he is about to eat it?
(a) Asks him for a kiss.
(b) Forces him to say grace.
(c) Forces him to beg .
(d) Grabs the plate away.
5. Who is the leader of a small band of girls that torment Dave?
6. Where does Dave bring his son at the end of the book?
(a) The Russian River.
(b) His hometown.
(c) His old school.
(d) His mother's house.
7. How does Dave feel as he watches the sunset after being stabbed?
(c) Warm and alive.
8. Which member of the family watches Dave's every move and reports his actions back to his mother?
9. What does Dave promise himself he will do if he comes out of his situation alive?
(a) He will get revenge on his father.
(b) He will get revenge on his brothers.
(c) He will be the best he can be.
(d) He will get revenge on his mother.
10. What is the secret that Dave learns quickly from his bad situation?
(a) People are evil.
(b) Life is hell.
(c) Internal motivation.
(d) Don't trust anyone.
11. What is Dave's punishment if he looks at one of his brothers?
(a) A kick.
(b) A burn from the stove.
(c) No food.
(d) A slap in the face.
12. Why does the school nurse begin to be interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) One of Dave's neighbors calls the school.
(b) The substitute teacher reports Dave's condition to her.
(c) One of the other children reports Dave's condition to her.
(d) She notices Dave's wretched appearance.
13. Where is Dave driving to after he leaves his view of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
(a) To his mother's house.
(b) To his brother's house.
(c) To his old school.
(d) His secret utopia.
14. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
(a) Struggling to stay ashore.
(b) Break itself on the rocks.
(c) Speak to him.
(d) Sink into the sea.
15. What do two of Dave's classmates tell him to do when they are on a field trip on a clipper ship?
(a) Tell the principal about the abuse.
(c) Kill his mother.
(d) Tell the police about the abuse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave feel as he looks at the rundown cabin where his family used to vacation?
2. What is Dave's frame of mind during the summer of 1971?
3. What is Dave's frame of mind when he sees his father leaving for work in the morning?
4. What does one of the ladies in the neighborhood give to Dave out of sympathy in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
5. What is Dave's punishment for exceeding the allotted time for chores in Chapter 5, The Accident?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)