|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dave thinking as he stands facing the beauty of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
(a) How much he hates his mother
(b) He feels sorry for himself.
(c) He is alive.
(d) He will never forget his pain.
2. Why does the school nurse begin to be interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) One of Dave's neighbors calls the school.
(b) She notices Dave's wretched appearance.
(c) The substitute teacher reports Dave's condition to her.
(d) One of the other children reports Dave's condition to her.
3. What is Dave's final thought in the book?
(a) I'll never be free.
(b) I'll never forgive.
(c) I'll never let it go.
(d) I'm free.
4. What does Dave come to believe just before he enters the fifth grade?
(a) His mother will kill him.
(b) There is no hope for him.
(c) He will always be a slave.
(d) There is no God for him.
5. How often does Dave receive lunch during the summer of 1971?
(b) Every other day.
(c) Every three days.
(d) Once a week .
6. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
(a) Struggling to stay ashore.
(b) Break itself on the rocks.
(c) Speak to him.
(d) Sink into the sea.
7. What is Dave's punishment for exceeding the allotted time for chores in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) A slap.
(b) No food.
(c) A kick.
(d) A burn from the stove.
8. When Dave brings home a letter from Mr. Zeigler telling Mother about Dave's being the top student in the class, how does Mother react?
(a) She says that she is proud of him.
(b) She tells Dave that she wishes he were dead.
(c) She gives Dave a hug.
(d) She burns the letter.
9. What position does Dave's mother force him to do while the rest of the family eats?
(a) Standing with his face against the wall .
(b) Kneeling on the floor in the corner.
(c) Standing on a chair in the corner.
(d) The prisoner of war position at the bottom of the stairs.
10. Where does Dave bring his son at the end of the book?
(a) His mother's house.
(b) His hometown.
(c) The Russian River.
(d) His old school.
11. What is Father's reaction when mother tells him to stop helping Dave in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) He convinces her to let him help Dave.
(b) He slaps her.
(c) He tells her to shut up.
(d) He complies with her demand.
12. Why does Dave's mother give him roller skates for Christmas?
(a) She wants him to be happy one day of the year.
(b) So she can send him out in the cold to skate for hours.
(c) She got them free from the thrift shop.
(d) Dave's father told her to give Dave a present.
13. Where does Dave's mother have him sleep after she carves pumpkins with his brothers?
(a) In his father's bed.
(b) In the garden.
(c) On the toilet.
(d) In the bathtub.
14. What is Dave's punishment if he looks at one of his brothers?
(a) A slap in the face.
(b) A kick.
(c) No food.
(d) A burn from the stove.
15. What does Dave's mother tell him to do while she takes his brothers to the zoo?
(a) Wash all the windows in the house.
(b) Stand against the wall.
(c) Sit in the basement in the dark.
(d) Sit on rocks in the backyard in the prisoner of war position.
Short Answer Questions
1. By Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer, how does Dave tolerate physical pain?
2. What happens to Dave in the winter of 1973, while he is in his classroom?
3. What does Dave realize after years of struggling?
4. How many days pass before Dave's stab wound gets infected?
5. What does Dave's mother tell him to do after she changes his bloody clothes in in Chapter 5, The Accident?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)