|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the school nurse begin to be interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) One of the other children reports Dave's condition to her.
(b) She notices Dave's wretched appearance.
(c) One of Dave's neighbors calls the school.
(d) The substitute teacher reports Dave's condition to her.
2. What happens to Dave in the winter of 1973, while he is in his classroom?
(a) He runs from the classroom screaming and slams the door behind him.
(b) He wins the spelling bee.
(c) He screams at the teacher.
(d) He slaps another student.
3. What does Dave dream on the night his stab wound infection is cleaned?
(a) He dreams that he kills his mother.
(b) He dreams he is Superman.
(c) He dreams that he drowns in the sea.
(d) He dreams he fall from a cliff.
4. How does Dave refer to Mother's house after his father leaves?
(a) The Madhouse.
(b) The Nuthouse.
(c) The Dungeon.
(d) The Prison.
5. Near the end of summer in Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's mother send him to do?
(a) Mow lawns in the neighborhood.
(b) Grocery shop.
(c) Deliver newspapers.
(d) Wash windows in the neighborhood.
6. Dave's mother offers him food after many days in Chapter 6, While Father is Away. What does she do when he is about to eat it?
(a) Forces him to beg .
(b) Forces him to say grace.
(c) Grabs the plate away.
(d) Asks him for a kiss.
7. What does Dave manage to do when he is rescued?
(a) Let go of his past.
(b) Vow to punish his father.
(c) Gets revenge on Stan.
(d) Make sure his mother suffers.
8. What does Dave's mother do after Dave is stabbed?
(a) She props him up on the toilet and wraps his wound.
(b) She carries him to the garage and leaves him there.
(c) She leaves him bleeding on the floor.
(d) She calls her husband to help.
9. Why does Dave's mother give him roller skates for Christmas?
(a) She got them free from the thrift shop.
(b) So she can send him out in the cold to skate for hours.
(c) Dave's father told her to give Dave a present.
(d) She wants him to be happy one day of the year.
10. How does Dave react when his father says goodbye to him?
(a) He will try to get help from his brothers.
(b) He does not care about life anymore.
(c) He vows to be a good boy.
(d) He will try to get mother to love him.
11. What lie does Dave's mother tell everyone about what Dave did to her while she was pregnant?
(a) Dave threw soap in her face.
(b) Dave tripped her.
(c) Dave pushed her down the stairs.
(d) Dave kicked her in the stomach.
12. What have the challenges of Dave's past done for him?
(a) Made him lose his self-confidence.
(b) Made him timid.
(c) Made him stronger inside.
(d) Made him hate himself.
13. When Dave brings home a letter from Mr. Zeigler telling Mother about Dave's being the top student in the class, how does Mother react?
(a) She says that she is proud of him.
(b) She tells Dave that she wishes he were dead.
(c) She burns the letter.
(d) She gives Dave a hug.
14. What is Dave's frame of mind during the summer of 1971?
(c) Still hopeful.
(d) Low morale.
15. How does Dave feel about his father after he tells his father about the stabbing?
(a) He loves his father.
(b) His father is a coward.
(c) He loses all respect for his father.
(d) He is afraid of his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Dave go without food when his father is away?
2. How does Dave feel as he watches the sunset after being stabbed?
3. What does Dave think about 'the accident' with his mother when he regains consciousness?
4. What does Dave come to believe just before he enters the fifth grade?
5. Why does Dave grow to hate his father?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)