|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lie does Dave's mother tell everyone about what Dave did to her while she was pregnant?
(a) Dave pushed her down the stairs.
(b) Dave threw soap in her face.
(c) Dave tripped her.
(d) Dave kicked her in the stomach.
2. What is Dave's final thought in the book?
(a) I'm free.
(b) I'll never forgive.
(c) I'll never be free.
(d) I'll never let it go.
3. Who does Dave hate more than anyone else?
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His brothers.
4. How does Dave prevent the black hole from taking control of his life?
(a) He keeps a positive attitude.
(b) He confronts his mother.
(c) He gets therapy.
(d) He confronts his father.
5. What is the one thing Dave wants, even more than food in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) New Clothes.
6. What does Dave do when he finds that his stab wound is infected?
(a) He takes care of it himself.
(b) He goes to his mother for help.
(c) He goes to Stan for help.
(d) He goes to his father for help.
7. Why does the school nurse begin to be interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) She notices Dave's wretched appearance.
(b) One of Dave's neighbors calls the school.
(c) The substitute teacher reports Dave's condition to her.
(d) One of the other children reports Dave's condition to her.
8. What type of people does Dave meet after he is rescued?
(a) People who teach him to make the right choices.
(b) Abusive people.
(c) People who blame him for his abuse.
9. Near the end of summer in Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's mother send him to do?
(a) Mow lawns in the neighborhood.
(b) Wash windows in the neighborhood.
(c) Grocery shop.
(d) Deliver newspapers.
10. What does Dave's mother tell him to do while she takes his brothers to the zoo?
(a) Sit on rocks in the backyard in the prisoner of war position.
(b) Stand against the wall.
(c) Wash all the windows in the house.
(d) Sit in the basement in the dark.
11. What does Dave do to keep from screaming while his stab wound is being cleaned?
(a) Stuffs a rag in his mouth.
(b) Buries his face in a pillow.
(c) Bites his tongue.
(d) Puts his fist in his mouth.
12. Why does Dave's mother suddenly allow Dave to eat with the family, watch TV, and give him new clothes to wear?
(a) Social services is coming for a visit.
(b) The school principal is coming for a visit.
(c) A neighbor is stopping by for coffee.
(d) She is sorry for the abuse.
13. What contest does Dave win in the fifth grade?
(a) The rope climb.
(b) Naming the school newspaper.
(c) The spelling bee.
(d) The jump rope contest.
14. What does Dave realize after years of struggling?
(a) He does not want to live in America.
(b) America is not really the home of the free.
(c) America is against the downtrodden.
(d) In America, you can come from less and still become a winner.
15. How often does Dave receive lunch during the summer of 1971?
(b) Once a week .
(c) Every three days.
(d) Every other day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave's punishment for exceeding the allotted time for chores in Chapter 5, The Accident?
2. How often does Dave receive dinner during the summer of 1971?
3. Who does Dave rely upon when he needs encouragement and strength, according to the Epilogue?
4. What does Dave's mother do after Dave is stabbed?
5. Who is the leader of a small band of girls that torment Dave?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)