|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dave's frame of mind when he sees his father leaving for work in the morning?
(a) He is indifferent.
(b) He hates his father.
(c) He feels cold and hollow.
(d) He feels the warmth of love.
2. What does Dave come to believe just before he enters the fifth grade?
(a) His mother will kill him.
(b) There is no God for him.
(c) He will always be a slave.
(d) There is no hope for him.
3. How many days pass before Dave's stab wound gets infected?
4. Who does Dave rely upon when he needs encouragement and strength, according to the Epilogue?
(a) His social worker.
(b) His therapist.
(d) His father.
5. What changes about Dave's sleeping habits in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
(a) He can't sleep at all.
(b) He sleeps as much as he can.
(c) He no longer dreams.
(d) He dreams he escapes every night.
6. What is Russell's reaction to the harsh way mother talks to Dave?
(a) He jumps back, startled.
(b) No reaction.
(c) He cringes in fear.
(d) He cries.
7. What does Dave bring himself to eat after he finishes the breakfast dishes one day in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
(a) He eats food off the floor.
(b) He eats the bread his mother threw out to the birds.
(c) He eats leftover pancakes out of the dog's bowl.
(d) He eats cat food.
8. What does Dave realize after years of struggling?
(a) America is not really the home of the free.
(b) America is against the downtrodden.
(c) He does not want to live in America.
(d) In America, you can come from less and still become a winner.
9. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
(a) Break itself on the rocks.
(b) Struggling to stay ashore.
(c) Sink into the sea.
(d) Speak to him.
10. As Dave contemplates his abuse as a child, what does he reveal that he felt was causing his dire situation?
(a) His misbehavior.
(b) A giant undertow was sucking him down.
(c) The lies his teachers told his mother about him.
(d) The jealousy of his brothers.
11. When Dave's mother returns from the zoo, what does she do to him?
(a) Pulls a chunk of hair out of his head.
(b) Twists his arm.
(c) Puts him in a tub of cold water, forcing his head underwater.
(d) Slaps his face.
12. What is the secret that Dave learns quickly from his bad situation?
(a) Life is hell.
(b) Don't trust anyone.
(c) Internal motivation.
(d) People are evil.
13. What contest does Dave win in the fifth grade?
(a) The rope climb.
(b) The spelling bee.
(c) Naming the school newspaper.
(d) The jump rope contest.
14. What do two of Dave's classmates tell him to do when they are on a field trip on a clipper ship?
(a) Kill his mother.
(b) Tell the police about the abuse.
(c) Tell the principal about the abuse.
15. What does Dave's father tell him when Dave goes to him for help after being stabbed?
(a) He tells Dave that he will take him to the hospital.
(b) He tells Dave to go to bed.
(c) He tells Dave that they will go away together.
(d) He tells Dave to go and finish washing the dishes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dave's mother suddenly allow Dave to eat with the family, watch TV, and give him new clothes to wear?
2. By Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer, how does Dave tolerate physical pain?
3. What is Dave's final thought in the book?
4. Near the end of summer in Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's mother send him to do?
5. Who is the leader of a small band of girls that torment Dave?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)