|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the leader of a small band of girls that torment Dave?
2. What is Dave's punishment for exceeding the allotted time for chores in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) No food.
(b) A slap.
(c) A burn from the stove.
(d) A kick.
3. What type of people does Dave meet after he is rescued?
(a) Abusive people.
(b) People who blame him for his abuse.
(c) People who teach him to make the right choices.
4. How does Dave feel about his brothers as he hears them laugh at a TV show while they eat their desserts?
5. How does Dave feel as he looks at the rundown cabin where his family used to vacation?
(c) Happy that it's falling down.
6. What is the one thing Dave wants, even more than food in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(d) New Clothes.
7. Why does Dave's mother give him roller skates for Christmas?
(a) She got them free from the thrift shop.
(b) So she can send him out in the cold to skate for hours.
(c) Dave's father told her to give Dave a present.
(d) She wants him to be happy one day of the year.
8. Where does Dave bring his son at the end of the book?
(a) His old school.
(b) His mother's house.
(c) His hometown.
(d) The Russian River.
9. When Dave's mother returns from the zoo, what does she do to him?
(a) Puts him in a tub of cold water, forcing his head underwater.
(b) Twists his arm.
(c) Pulls a chunk of hair out of his head.
(d) Slaps his face.
10. How does Dave prevent the black hole from taking control of his life?
(a) He keeps a positive attitude.
(b) He confronts his mother.
(c) He confronts his father.
(d) He gets therapy.
11. What are Dave's feelings as he lies on his cot the night he is stabbed?
(a) He feels like a wounded animal.
(b) He gives up.
(c) He feels abandoned.
(d) He feels ashamed.
12. What is Dave's punishment if he looks at one of his brothers?
(a) No food.
(b) A slap in the face.
(c) A kick.
(d) A burn from the stove.
13. What does Dave's mother tell him to do while she takes his brothers to the zoo?
(a) Sit on rocks in the backyard in the prisoner of war position.
(b) Sit in the basement in the dark.
(c) Stand against the wall.
(d) Wash all the windows in the house.
14. How is Dave treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital?
(a) He is given food and plays with his brothers.
(b) He is still ostracized.
(c) He is given food but stays in the basement.
(d) He is given food but is beaten by his brothers.
15. What happens to Dave in the winter of 1973, while he is in his classroom?
(a) He wins the spelling bee.
(b) He screams at the teacher.
(c) He runs from the classroom screaming and slams the door behind him.
(d) He slaps another student.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Dave's brothers bring to the house to see him being punished in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
2. How does Dave react when his father says goodbye to him?
3. How does Dave refer to Mother's house after his father leaves?
4. Why does Dave's mother suddenly allow Dave to eat with the family, watch TV, and give him new clothes to wear?
5. When Dave brings home a letter from Mr. Zeigler telling Mother about Dave's being the top student in the class, how does Mother react?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)