|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dave's mother returns from the zoo, what does she do to him?
(a) Pulls a chunk of hair out of his head.
(b) Puts him in a tub of cold water, forcing his head underwater.
(c) Twists his arm.
(d) Slaps his face.
2. What does Dave do to keep from screaming while his stab wound is being cleaned?
(a) Bites his tongue.
(b) Buries his face in a pillow.
(c) Stuffs a rag in his mouth.
(d) Puts his fist in his mouth.
3. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
(a) Break itself on the rocks.
(b) Sink into the sea.
(c) Speak to him.
(d) Struggling to stay ashore.
4. How does Dave react when his father says goodbye to him?
(a) He will try to get mother to love him.
(b) He does not care about life anymore.
(c) He will try to get help from his brothers.
(d) He vows to be a good boy.
5. Why does Dave grow to hate his father?
(a) His father starts beating him.
(b) His father treats his brothers better.
(c) His father fails to rescue him.
(d) His father leaves the family.
6. Where does Dave bring his son at the end of the book?
(a) His hometown.
(b) His old school.
(c) His mother's house.
(d) The Russian River.
7. How does Dave feel as he looks at the rundown cabin where his family used to vacation?
(c) Happy that it's falling down.
8. What is Dave thinking as he stands facing the beauty of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
(a) He feels sorry for himself.
(b) He will never forget his pain.
(c) He is alive.
(d) How much he hates his mother
9. How does Dave feel as he watches the sunset after being stabbed?
(d) Warm and alive.
10. What happens to Dave in the winter of 1973, while he is in his classroom?
(a) He slaps another student.
(b) He wins the spelling bee.
(c) He screams at the teacher.
(d) He runs from the classroom screaming and slams the door behind him.
11. What new torture does Dave's mother come up with when she sends him to clean the bathroom in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) She has him wash the bathroom floor with his shirt.
(b) She forces him to clean the toilet with his toothbrush.
(c) She puts a bucket of Clorox and ammonia in the room with him.
(d) She has him clean up broken glass in bare feet and hands.
12. What is Dave's final thought in the book?
(a) I'll never let it go.
(b) I'll never be free.
(c) I'll never forgive.
(d) I'm free.
13. What gift does Dave's turbulent past give him, according to the Epilogue?
(a) An appreciation for things others take for granted.
(b) The satisfaction of revenge.
(c) The knowledge that God is dead.
(d) The knowledge that people are evil.
14. Why does the school nurse begin to be interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) She notices Dave's wretched appearance.
(b) One of Dave's neighbors calls the school.
(c) One of the other children reports Dave's condition to her.
(d) The substitute teacher reports Dave's condition to her.
15. What is the new baby's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Russell's reaction to the harsh way mother talks to Dave?
2. Who is the leader of a small band of girls that torment Dave?
3. What happens when Dave's mother threatens to kill him with a knife?
4. What lie does Dave's mother tell everyone about what Dave did to her while she was pregnant?
5. Who does Dave hate more than anyone else?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)