|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Father's reaction when mother tells him to stop helping Dave in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) He slaps her.
(b) He convinces her to let him help Dave.
(c) He complies with her demand.
(d) He tells her to shut up.
2. How does Dave feel as he watches the sunset after being stabbed?
(d) Warm and alive.
3. What does Dave promise himself he will do if he comes out of his situation alive?
(a) He will get revenge on his mother.
(b) He will get revenge on his father.
(c) He will get revenge on his brothers.
(d) He will be the best he can be.
4. What does Dave's mother tell him to do while she takes his brothers to the zoo?
(a) Sit on rocks in the backyard in the prisoner of war position.
(b) Sit in the basement in the dark.
(c) Stand against the wall.
(d) Wash all the windows in the house.
5. How does Dave prevent the black hole from taking control of his life?
(a) He confronts his mother.
(b) He confronts his father.
(c) He gets therapy.
(d) He keeps a positive attitude.
6. How long does Dave go without food when his father is away?
(a) One week.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Four days.
7. What new torture does Dave's mother come up with when she sends him to clean the bathroom in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) She has him clean up broken glass in bare feet and hands.
(b) She has him wash the bathroom floor with his shirt.
(c) She puts a bucket of Clorox and ammonia in the room with him.
(d) She forces him to clean the toilet with his toothbrush.
8. How many days pass before Dave's stab wound gets infected?
9. What changes about Dave's sleeping habits in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer ?
(a) He can't sleep at all.
(b) He dreams he escapes every night.
(c) He no longer dreams.
(d) He sleeps as much as he can.
10. What is Dave thinking as he looks at his stab wound and sits at the bottom of the stairs?
(a) He wills his wound to heal.
(b) He thinks he will die.
(c) He thinks his mother will eventually kill him.
(d) He thinks he is a pitiful creature.
11. How does Dave feel about his brothers as he hears them laugh at a TV show while they eat their desserts?
12. Who is the leader of a small band of girls that torment Dave?
13. What does Dave's mother tell him to do when he regains consciousness in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) Finish the dishes.
(b) Go to bed.
(c) Go eat some food.
(d) Clean up the mess.
14. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
(a) Struggling to stay ashore.
(b) Speak to him.
(c) Sink into the sea.
(d) Break itself on the rocks.
15. What is Dave thinking as he stands facing the beauty of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
(a) He is alive.
(b) He feels sorry for himself.
(c) How much he hates his mother
(d) He will never forget his pain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dave's mother offers him food after many days in Chapter 6, While Father is Away. What does she do when he is about to eat it?
2. How does Dave feel as he looks at the rundown cabin where his family used to vacation?
3. Which member of the family watches Dave's every move and reports his actions back to his mother?
4. When Dave's father leaves for good, what is Dave's reaction?
5. What is Dave's punishment for exceeding the allotted time for chores in Chapter 5, The Accident?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)