|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dave realize after years of struggling?
(a) America is not really the home of the free.
(b) In America, you can come from less and still become a winner.
(c) He does not want to live in America.
(d) America is against the downtrodden.
2. How long does Dave go without food when his father is away?
(a) Five days.
(b) One week.
(c) Four days.
(d) Ten days.
3. Why does Dave grow to hate his father?
(a) His father treats his brothers better.
(b) His father leaves the family.
(c) His father starts beating him.
(d) His father fails to rescue him.
4. When Dave's father leaves for good, what is Dave's reaction?
(a) He knows that Mother will kill him.
(b) He is glad his father is gone.
(c) He thinks his mother will change now.
(d) He is indifferent to the situation.
5. Why does Dave's mother give him roller skates for Christmas?
(a) So she can send him out in the cold to skate for hours.
(b) She wants him to be happy one day of the year.
(c) Dave's father told her to give Dave a present.
(d) She got them free from the thrift shop.
6. What happens to Dave in the winter of 1973, while he is in his classroom?
(a) He screams at the teacher.
(b) He runs from the classroom screaming and slams the door behind him.
(c) He slaps another student.
(d) He wins the spelling bee.
7. How does Dave feel as he looks at the rundown cabin where his family used to vacation?
(b) Happy that it's falling down.
8. What is Dave's punishment if he looks at one of his brothers?
(a) No food.
(b) A kick.
(c) A burn from the stove.
(d) A slap in the face.
9. What does Dave do when he finds that his stab wound is infected?
(a) He goes to his father for help.
(b) He goes to Stan for help.
(c) He goes to his mother for help.
(d) He takes care of it himself.
10. What does one of the ladies in the neighborhood give to Dave out of sympathy in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) Lunch in a brown bag.
(b) A new shirt.
(c) A piece of cake.
(d) Fifty cents.
11. What career choice does Dave make as an adult?
(a) He joins the Air Force.
(b) He becomes a minister.
(c) He becomes a prison guard.
(d) He joins the Navy.
12. What is Dave's frame of mind when he sees his father leaving for work in the morning?
(a) He feels cold and hollow.
(b) He hates his father.
(c) He feels the warmth of love.
(d) He is indifferent.
13. Where does Dave's mother have him sleep after she carves pumpkins with his brothers?
(a) In the garden.
(b) In his father's bed.
(c) On the toilet.
(d) In the bathtub.
14. When does Dave feel the most alone?
(a) When he goes to bed.
(b) When his father leaves for work.
(c) When he sits on the stairs.
(d) When he is in school.
15. Where is Dave driving to after he leaves his view of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
(a) To his old school.
(b) To his brother's house.
(c) To his mother's house.
(d) His secret utopia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Near the end of summer in Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's mother send him to do?
2. What does the piece of driftwood in the Epilogue remind Dave of?
3. How many days pass before Dave's stab wound gets infected?
4. What does Dave's father promise him as they talk quietly together in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
5. What does Dave think about 'the accident' with his mother when he regains consciousness?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)