|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the school nurse begin to be interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) One of Dave's neighbors calls the school.
(b) One of the other children reports Dave's condition to her.
(c) She notices Dave's wretched appearance.
(d) The substitute teacher reports Dave's condition to her.
2. Where does Dave bring his son at the end of the book?
(a) His mother's house.
(b) His old school.
(c) The Russian River.
(d) His hometown.
3. What have the challenges of Dave's past done for him?
(a) Made him hate himself.
(b) Made him stronger inside.
(c) Made him lose his self-confidence.
(d) Made him timid.
4. How long does Dave go without food when his father is away?
(a) Five days.
(b) One week.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Four days.
5. How often does Dave receive dinner during the summer of 1971?
(a) Every four days.
(b) Once every three days.
(c) Every day.
(d) Once every other day.
6. Why does Dave grow to hate his father?
(a) His father leaves the family.
(b) His father fails to rescue him.
(c) His father treats his brothers better.
(d) His father starts beating him.
7. What career choice does Dave make as an adult?
(a) He joins the Navy.
(b) He becomes a prison guard.
(c) He joins the Air Force.
(d) He becomes a minister.
8. When Dave's father leaves for good, what is Dave's reaction?
(a) He thinks his mother will change now.
(b) He is indifferent to the situation.
(c) He knows that Mother will kill him.
(d) He is glad his father is gone.
9. What does Dave realize after years of struggling?
(a) America is not really the home of the free.
(b) He does not want to live in America.
(c) In America, you can come from less and still become a winner.
(d) America is against the downtrodden.
10. What position does Dave's mother force him to do while the rest of the family eats?
(a) Standing on a chair in the corner.
(b) The prisoner of war position at the bottom of the stairs.
(c) Kneeling on the floor in the corner.
(d) Standing with his face against the wall .
11. What does Dave's mother tell him to do when he regains consciousness in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) Clean up the mess.
(b) Finish the dishes.
(c) Go eat some food.
(d) Go to bed.
12. What does Dave do when he finds that his stab wound is infected?
(a) He goes to his mother for help.
(b) He takes care of it himself.
(c) He goes to his father for help.
(d) He goes to Stan for help.
13. How does Dave prevent the black hole from taking control of his life?
(a) He confronts his mother.
(b) He keeps a positive attitude.
(c) He confronts his father.
(d) He gets therapy.
14. How does Dave react when his father says goodbye to him?
(a) He does not care about life anymore.
(b) He vows to be a good boy.
(c) He will try to get help from his brothers.
(d) He will try to get mother to love him.
15. As Dave watches an old piece of driftwood as it washes ashore, what does he imagine the wood is trying to do?
(a) Sink into the sea.
(b) Struggling to stay ashore.
(c) Break itself on the rocks.
(d) Speak to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dave's mother give him roller skates for Christmas?
2. Why does Dave's mother suddenly allow Dave to eat with the family, watch TV, and give him new clothes to wear?
3. What new torture does Dave's mother come up with when she sends him to clean the bathroom in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
4. What is Dave's punishment if he looks at one of his brothers?
5. How does Dave feel as he watches the sunset after being stabbed?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)