|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Dave receive dinner during the summer of 1971?
(a) Once every three days.
(b) Every four days.
(c) Every day.
(d) Once every other day.
2. What does Dave's fourth grade substitute teacher give to students who do good work?
(a) A sticker.
(b) Ice cream.
(c) A new pencil.
(d) A balloon.
3. How many days pass before Dave's stab wound gets infected?
4. How often does Dave receive lunch during the summer of 1971?
(a) Every other day.
(c) Every three days.
(d) Once a week .
5. How does Dave feel about his brothers as he hears them laugh at a TV show while they eat their desserts?
6. What do two of Dave's classmates tell him to do when they are on a field trip on a clipper ship?
(b) Tell the police about the abuse.
(c) Tell the principal about the abuse.
(d) Kill his mother.
7. What is the one thing Dave wants, even more than food in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(d) New Clothes.
8. What does Dave's father do to ease Dave's burden in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) He gives Dave extra blankets.
(b) He drives Dave to school.
(c) He helps Dave with the dishes every night.
(d) He brings food to Dave in the middle of the night.
9. When Dave's father leaves for good, what is Dave's reaction?
(a) He is glad his father is gone.
(b) He is indifferent to the situation.
(c) He knows that Mother will kill him.
(d) He thinks his mother will change now.
10. What is Dave's punishment if he looks at one of his brothers?
(a) A burn from the stove.
(b) No food.
(c) A kick.
(d) A slap in the face.
11. What have the challenges of Dave's past done for him?
(a) Made him timid.
(b) Made him lose his self-confidence.
(c) Made him stronger inside.
(d) Made him hate himself.
12. Why does Dave's mother suddenly allow Dave to eat with the family, watch TV, and give him new clothes to wear?
(a) The school principal is coming for a visit.
(b) A neighbor is stopping by for coffee.
(c) She is sorry for the abuse.
(d) Social services is coming for a visit.
13. Which member of the family watches Dave's every move and reports his actions back to his mother?
14. What does Dave realize after years of struggling?
(a) America is not really the home of the free.
(b) He does not want to live in America.
(c) America is against the downtrodden.
(d) In America, you can come from less and still become a winner.
15. What does the piece of driftwood in the Epilogue remind Dave of?
(a) His former life.
(b) His father giving up on him.
(c) His mother sinking into drunkenness.
(d) His attitude toward his new life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the leader of a small band of girls that torment Dave?
2. What does Dave dream on the night his stab wound infection is cleaned?
3. What is Dave thinking as he stands facing the beauty of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
4. What is Russell's reaction to the harsh way mother talks to Dave?
5. What happens when Dave's mother threatens to kill him with a knife?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)