|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the school nurse begin to be interested in Dave's condition in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) One of the other children reports Dave's condition to her.
(b) One of Dave's neighbors calls the school.
(c) She notices Dave's wretched appearance.
(d) The substitute teacher reports Dave's condition to her.
2. Who does Dave hate more than anyone else?
(b) His father.
(c) His brothers.
(d) His mother.
3. How does Dave's mother feel after she stabs him?
(a) No emotion.
(b) Angry with him.
(c) Angry at herself.
4. What new torture does Dave's mother come up with when she sends him to clean the bathroom in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) She forces him to clean the toilet with his toothbrush.
(b) She puts a bucket of Clorox and ammonia in the room with him.
(c) She has him wash the bathroom floor with his shirt.
(d) She has him clean up broken glass in bare feet and hands.
5. What happens when Dave's mother threatens to kill him with a knife?
(a) She purposely stabs Dave in the stomach.
(b) She stabs Dave in the arm.
(c) She falls and the knife stabs Dave in the chest accidentally.
(d) She stabs Dave in the hand.
6. As Dave contemplates his abuse as a child, what does he reveal that he felt was causing his dire situation?
(a) The jealousy of his brothers.
(b) The lies his teachers told his mother about him.
(c) His misbehavior.
(d) A giant undertow was sucking him down.
7. What is the secret that Dave learns quickly from his bad situation?
(a) Life is hell.
(b) Don't trust anyone.
(c) Internal motivation.
(d) People are evil.
8. What does Dave refuse to do in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer despite how his mother treats him?
(a) Stand in the garden.
(b) Sit on the stairs.
(d) Go to the basement.
9. What does Dave's mother tell him to do when he regains consciousness in Chapter 5, The Accident?
(a) Go eat some food.
(b) Clean up the mess.
(c) Finish the dishes.
(d) Go to bed.
10. What does Dave manage to do when he is rescued?
(a) Let go of his past.
(b) Vow to punish his father.
(c) Make sure his mother suffers.
(d) Gets revenge on Stan.
11. How many days pass before Dave's stab wound gets infected?
12. Who does Dave rely upon when he needs encouragement and strength, according to the Epilogue?
(a) His therapist.
(b) His social worker.
(c) His father.
13. How is Dave treated by the rest of the family when his mother is in the hospital?
(a) He is given food and plays with his brothers.
(b) He is given food but stays in the basement.
(c) He is given food but is beaten by his brothers.
(d) He is still ostracized.
14. What is Dave thinking as he stands facing the beauty of the Pacific Ocean in the Epilogue?
(a) He will never forget his pain.
(b) He is alive.
(c) How much he hates his mother
(d) He feels sorry for himself.
15. Why does Dave's mother give him roller skates for Christmas?
(a) Dave's father told her to give Dave a present.
(b) She got them free from the thrift shop.
(c) So she can send him out in the cold to skate for hours.
(d) She wants him to be happy one day of the year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of the ladies in the neighborhood give to Dave out of sympathy in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
2. Why does Dave's mother suddenly allow Dave to eat with the family, watch TV, and give him new clothes to wear?
3. What have the challenges of Dave's past done for him?
4. What does Dave dream on the night his stab wound infection is cleaned?
5. Near the end of summer in Chapter 6, While Father is Away, what does Dave's mother send him to do?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)