|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do two of Dave's classmates tell him to do when they are on a field trip on a clipper ship?
(a) Kill his mother.
(b) Tell the principal about the abuse.
(d) Tell the police about the abuse.
2. How does Dave feel as he looks at the rundown cabin where his family used to vacation?
(b) Happy that it's falling down.
3. How many days pass before Dave's stab wound gets infected?
4. What position does Dave's mother force him to do while the rest of the family eats?
(a) Kneeling on the floor in the corner.
(b) Standing on a chair in the corner.
(c) The prisoner of war position at the bottom of the stairs.
(d) Standing with his face against the wall .
5. What does Dave do when he finds that his stab wound is infected?
(a) He takes care of it himself.
(b) He goes to his mother for help.
(c) He goes to Stan for help.
(d) He goes to his father for help.
6. What does Dave's mother tell him to do while she takes his brothers to the zoo?
(a) Wash all the windows in the house.
(b) Stand against the wall.
(c) Sit in the basement in the dark.
(d) Sit on rocks in the backyard in the prisoner of war position.
7. How does Dave's mother feel after she stabs him?
(b) No emotion.
(c) Angry at herself.
(d) Angry with him.
8. Who do Dave's brothers bring to the house to see him being punished in Chapter 6, While Father is Away?
(a) The principal.
(b) The police.
(c) Their friends.
(d) A neighbor.
9. What does Dave's mother do after Dave is stabbed?
(a) She props him up on the toilet and wraps his wound.
(b) She calls her husband to help.
(c) She leaves him bleeding on the floor.
(d) She carries him to the garage and leaves him there.
10. What is Dave thinking as he looks at his stab wound and sits at the bottom of the stairs?
(a) He thinks he is a pitiful creature.
(b) He wills his wound to heal.
(c) He thinks his mother will eventually kill him.
(d) He thinks he will die.
11. How does Dave feel about his brothers as he hears them laugh at a TV show while they eat their desserts?
12. What does Dave think about 'the accident' with his mother when he regains consciousness?
(a) He thinks he is going to die.
(b) He won't let mother hurt him again.
(c) He thinks about revenge.
(d) It has set him free.
13. How does Dave feel as he watches the sunset after being stabbed?
(a) Warm and alive.
14. When Dave's mother returns from the zoo, what does she do to him?
(a) Twists his arm.
(b) Slaps his face.
(c) Pulls a chunk of hair out of his head.
(d) Puts him in a tub of cold water, forcing his head underwater.
15. What does Dave refuse to do in Chapter 7, The Lord's Prayer despite how his mother treats him?
(a) Sit on the stairs.
(b) Stand in the garden.
(d) Go to the basement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the piece of driftwood in the Epilogue remind Dave of?
2. Who does Dave rely upon when he needs encouragement and strength, according to the Epilogue?
3. What is Russell's reaction to the harsh way mother talks to Dave?
4. What is Dave's punishment for exceeding the allotted time for chores in Chapter 5, The Accident?
5. What does Dave dream on the night his stab wound infection is cleaned?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)