|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the disgusting punishment Dave's mother invents for him when the family is vacationing at the Russian River in in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) She pushes a soiled diaper in his face, telling him to eat it.
(b) She forces him to clean Russell's diaper with his bare hands.
(c) She forces him to eat worms from the garden.
(d) She forces him to eat rotten food.
2. After the chair incident, what does Dave's mother tell the doctor and Dave's father happened to Dave?
(a) He fell out of bed.
(b) He fell off his bike.
(c) He fell down the stairs.
(d) He fell out of a tree.
3. Why does Dave's mother push his face into the counter in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) She sees him hurting his brother.
(b) He sasses her.
(c) She catches him with his hands out of the dish water.
(d) She hears him using foul language.
4. How does Dave find food after being confined in the garage for hours in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) He eats food that he hid in his pocket.
(b) He eats food from the freezer.
(c) He eats food out of the garbage can.
(d) He eats food left for the cat.
5. Why does Dave not mind running to school in the morning?
(a) He likes to stay in shape for the track team.
(b) He likes to get to school early and talk to the teachers
(c) He can play tag with the other children in the schoolyard.
(d) He can get there early enough to steal food from other children's lunch bags.
6. What is Dave told after the phone call to his mother in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) Dave is going back to his mother.
(b) Dave is to blame for everything.
(c) Dave is free.
(d) Dave should not make his mother angry.
7. What does Dave decide to do when he realizes that he finally beat his mother in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) He will use any tactic to survive.
(b) He will run away.
(c) He will ask his father to take him away.
(d) He will beg his mother to leave him alone.
8. How does Dave's mother refer to him by in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(b) The brat.
(c) The boy.
9. In Chapter 2, Good Times, when does Dave's mom hug him, giving him a feeling of warmth and safety?
(a) Watching the sunset on the Russian River.
(b) When she tucks him into bed.
(c) When she wakes him up in the morning.
(d) When she listens to his bedtime prayers.
10. Once school starts again in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, what is Dave's mother feeding him?
(a) Leftover cereal from his brothers and no dinner.
(b) No breakfast and a full dinner.
(c) Stale bread.
(d) Leftover cereal for breakfast and a regular dinner.
11. How does Dave's mother look on a typical day?
(a) Short wavy hair, glowing smile, and well-groomed.
(b) Long shiny hair, shining teeth, and stylish.
(c) Soft curly hair, thin, and lovely.
(d) Swollen red eyes, frazzled hair, no makeup, and overweight.
12. Where does Dave's mother have him sleep on the night of the chair incident?
(a) In her bed.
(b) In the bottom bunk.
(c) In the top bunk.
(d) On the floor.
13. What is the favorite thing Dave's mother does for her family Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) Creating new and exotic meals.
(b) Washing and ironing their clothes.
(c) Praying with them before bed.
(d) Singing to them at bedtime.
14. Dave's mother comes after him as he sits in his chair in the bedroom in Chapter 3, Bad Boy. What does she do to him?
(a) She tells him she is sorry.
(b) She hits him over and over and dislocates his shoulder.
(c) She brushes his hair.
(d) She gives him a hug.
15. How does Dave's mother treat the other children who come to the house for Cub Scout meetings?
(a) Like kings.
(b) She doesn't speak to them.
(c) She is impatient with them.
(d) She tolerates them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave's mother's reaction when she finds out he has been stealing lunches at school?
2. How does Dave's relationship with his mother change in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
3. What is Dave's mother's reaction when she receives a call from the principal about Dave's condition in in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
4. How does Dave feel when he is not allowed to go camping?
5. For what reason does Dave think he has been called into the principal's office in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)