|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dave's mother tell him in Chapter 1, The Rescue to say happened to his face?
(a) He ran into a door.
(b) His brother hit him.
(c) The dog jumped on him.
(d) He fell down the stairs.
2. Why does Dave's mother burn his arm on the gas stove?
(a) She finds out he told a lie.
(b) She says that he played on the grass at school.
(c) She is angry that he got home late.
(d) She is angry that he didn't brush his teeth.
3. How does Dave feel about school in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) It is his haven away from mother.
(b) He is indifferent to it.
(c) He hates it.
(d) It is torture for him.
4. What does Dave say when people at school ask him the cause of his bruises?
(a) He always says that he is clumsy and falls a lot.
(b) He uses ready-made excuses his mother told him.
(c) He mumbles incoherently.
(d) He makes up lies on the spot.
5. Dave's mother comes after him as he sits in his chair in the bedroom in Chapter 3, Bad Boy. What does she do to him?
(a) She tells him she is sorry.
(b) She brushes his hair.
(c) She hits him over and over and dislocates his shoulder.
(d) She gives him a hug.
6. How does Dave save himself from being forced to lie across the stove?
(a) He begs for forgiveness.
(b) He stalls for time until his brother gets home.
(c) He promises to be good.
(d) He tells his mother that he loves her.
7. Where does Dave's family live in Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) In a two-bedroom house in Los Angeles.
(b) In a two-bedroom house in Daly City, outside of San Francisco.
(c) In a three-bedroom house in San Francisco.
(d) In a three-bedroom house in El Paso.
8. What piece of clothing has Dave's mother made him wear to school every day for the past two years in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) A shirt that hangs down to his knees.
(b) A long-sleeved shirt full of holes.
(c) A shirt that is too small for him.
(d) A ripped t-shirt.
9. For what reason does Dave think he has been called into the principal's office in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) To be arrested for stealing.
(b) Because he was talking in class.
(c) To be given a detention for being late.
(d) Because he forgot his homework.
10. What is the new bed assigned to Dave by his mother in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) He sleeps in the doghouse in the back yard.
(b) He sleeps in the basement.
(c) He sleeps under the kitchen table with newspapers for covers.
(d) He sleeps in the garage.
11. How does Dave's relationship with his mother change in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) From punishment to leniency.
(b) From discipline to punishment.
(c) From discipline to indifference.
(d) From indifference to punishment.
12. What is Dave's mother's biggest asset?
(a) Her determination.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her love for her family.
(d) Her intelligence.
13. How does Dave feel about telling the story of his injuries in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) He is afraid that he will be blamed.
(b) He is reluctant to talk.
(c) He wants to tell everyone what happened.
(d) He wants to get his mother arrested.
14. What is Dave's mother's reaction when she finds out he has been stealing lunches at school?
(a) She makes him eat until he is sick.
(b) She tapes his mouth shut.
(c) She doesn't feed him all weekend.
(d) She makes him eat his food off the floor.
15. What does Dave's mother proceed to do after she announces to her children that she is sick Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) She paints the steps leading to the garage red, placing mats over them before the paint is dry.
(b) She goes to her bedroom to lie down.
(c) She calls her husband and tells him to come home.
(d) She lies on the couch and falls asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave decide to do when he realizes that he finally beat his mother in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
2. Why does Dave's mother start to cry on Christmas Day in Chapter 2, Good Times?
3. What does Dave's mother explain to her children while their cat is having kittens?
4. How does Dave's mother look on a typical day?
5. Why does Dave not mind running to school in the morning?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)