|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Dave show the scar on his chest to while he is in the principal's office?
(a) The teachers.
(b) A policeman.
(c) The principal.
(d) The nurse.
2. What is Dave's mother's favorite weapon against him?
(a) Kicks to the thighs.
(b) Withholding food.
(c) Open handed slaps.
(d) Slaps with a leather belt.
3. Chapter 2, Good Times, who is in command of all family matters in Dave's household?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) They all make decisions as a family.
(d) His mother and father make decisions together.
4. What does Dave make sure that everyone knows about the scar on his chest?
(a) That his mother meant to hurt him.
(b) That his father stabbed him.
(c) That his brother stabbed him.
(d) That is was an accident.
5. What does Dave's father eventually do when he keeps losing the arguments with his wife?
(a) He sits and cries.
(b) He goes to bed.
(c) He hides in the garage.
(d) He packs a bag and goes to work.
6. Where do Dave and his family usually go for summer vacations in Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) Portola or Memorial Park.
(b) The Sierras.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) Los Angeles.
7. What does Dave's mother proceed to do after she announces to her children that she is sick Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) She calls her husband and tells him to come home.
(b) She lies on the couch and falls asleep.
(c) She paints the steps leading to the garage red, placing mats over them before the paint is dry.
(d) She goes to her bedroom to lie down.
8. What is the favorite thing Dave's mother does for her family Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) Washing and ironing their clothes.
(b) Praying with them before bed.
(c) Singing to them at bedtime.
(d) Creating new and exotic meals.
9. Who does Dave compare his family to before the abuse started?
(a) The Partridge family.
(b) The Ingalls family.
(c) The Cleaver family.
(d) The Brady Bunch.
10. Where does Dave's family live in Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) In a three-bedroom house in El Paso.
(b) In a three-bedroom house in San Francisco.
(c) In a two-bedroom house in Daly City, outside of San Francisco.
(d) In a two-bedroom house in Los Angeles.
11. Once school starts again in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, what is Dave's mother feeding him?
(a) No breakfast and a full dinner.
(b) Leftover cereal from his brothers and no dinner.
(c) Leftover cereal for breakfast and a regular dinner.
(d) Stale bread.
12. What are the contents of the lunch Dave's mother has been making him every day for three years?
(a) Two jelly sandwiches and an apple.
(b) Two tuna sandwiches and an apple.
(c) Two bologna sandwiches and carrot sticks.
(d) Two peanut butter sandwiches and carrot sticks.
13. What does Dave's teacher, Miss Moss, start questioning him about?
(a) His mother's pregnancy.
(b) Why he is tired, the condition of his clothes, and his bruises.
(c) Why he doesn't take the bus.
(d) Why he doesn't do his homework.
14. Dave's mother comes after him as he sits in his chair in the bedroom in Chapter 3, Bad Boy. What does she do to him?
(a) She hits him over and over and dislocates his shoulder.
(b) She brushes his hair.
(c) She gives him a hug.
(d) She tells him she is sorry.
15. What is Dave's favorite place in Golden Gate Park?
(a) The beautiful flower gardens.
(b) The Steinhart Aquarium.
(c) The carousel.
(d) The reflecting pool.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave fantasize about as he lies in bed at night in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
2. By in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, how is Dave treated by the rest of the family?
3. What does Dave say happened to his face when he is questioned about the bruises in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
4. What happens to Dave when he forgets what his mother sent him to do in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
5. In Chapter 3, Bad Boy, what do Dave's parents do from 3 p.m. until bedtime when his father is not working?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)