|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dave's mother push his face into the counter in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) He sasses her.
(b) She sees him hurting his brother.
(c) She hears him using foul language.
(d) She catches him with his hands out of the dish water.
2. What are most of Dave's parent's arguments about?
(a) Dave's brothers.
(c) Money problems.
3. Where is Dave taken after the meeting in Mr. Hansen's office?
(a) The police station.
(b) Back to his classroom.
(d) To his father's workplace.
4. What new punishment does Dave's mother invent for him in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) No bike riding.
(b) No more pets.
(c) No more snacks.
(d) No more television ever.
5. How does Dave manage to steal food from his classmates?
(a) He grabs food right off the lunch tables.
(b) He grabs the lunch bags of the smaller children.
(c) Before school while his classmates are outside playing.
(d) He sneaks into the lockers before lunch.
6. What is the rare thing Dave's mother does when he finishes eating in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) She gives him a hug.
(b) She drives him to school.
(c) She combs his hair.
(d) She makes him a lunch.
7. What does Dave's mother explain to her children while their cat is having kittens?
(a) The miracle of birth.
(b) How cats mate.
(c) To keep away from the mother cat.
(d) Not to touch the kittens.
8. Where does Dave's mother have him sleep on the night of the chair incident?
(a) In the bottom bunk.
(b) In the top bunk.
(c) On the floor.
(d) In her bed.
9. What does Dave say happened to his face when he is questioned about the bruises in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) He says that he bumped into the cabinet.
(b) He says that he fell down the stairs.
(c) He says that he tripped and fell.
(d) He says that he was playing baseball and got hit with the bat.
10. What is Dave's mother's favorite weapon against him?
(a) Kicks to the thighs.
(b) Withholding food.
(c) Slaps with a leather belt.
(d) Open handed slaps.
11. For what reason does Dave think he has been called into the principal's office in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) To be arrested for stealing.
(b) Because he was talking in class.
(c) Because he forgot his homework.
(d) To be given a detention for being late.
12. What is Dave's mother's reaction when she receives a call from the principal about Dave's condition in in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) She resists the urge to beat Dave.
(b) She ties Dave to a chair for the night.
(c) She puts Dave in the basement all night.
(d) She gives Dave two bloody noses and knocks out a tooth.
13. What is Dave's mother's reaction when she finds out he has been stealing lunches at school?
(a) She makes him eat until he is sick.
(b) She doesn't feed him all weekend.
(c) She makes him eat his food off the floor.
(d) She tapes his mouth shut.
14. How does Dave eventually get food at home in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) He gets up at night and sneaks it out of the refrigerator.
(b) He begs his brothers for food.
(c) He begs his mother for scraps.
(d) He takes it out of the garbage.
15. How does Dave get caught asking for food on the way to school?
(a) His brothers see him going up to houses.
(b) His mother sees him as she drives his brother's to school.
(c) He accidentally goes to a house where a woman knows his mother.
(d) His father catches him at a neighbor's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dave's mother pushes her finger down his throat, forcing him to vomit up the frozen food he stole at school. What does she do then?
2. How does Dave find food after being confined in the garage for hours in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
3. What nickname does Dave's father use for him?
4. Chapter 2, Good Times, what does Dave's mother tell Dave and his brothers they should always do?
5. What are the contents of the lunch Dave's mother has been making him every day for three years?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)