|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Dave and his brothers allowed to do on Christmas Eve in Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) Open one present.
(b) Make cookies.
(c) Wait for Santa until they fall asleep.
(d) Stay up late.
2. Beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy, who becomes Dave's protector?
(a) His father.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His brother.
(d) The neighbor.
3. Chapter 2, Good Times, who is in command of all family matters in Dave's household?
(a) They all make decisions as a family.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother and father make decisions together.
(d) His mother.
4. Who is Dave's best friend when he repeats first grade?
(a) A boy from his neighborhood.
(b) His brother Stan.
(c) The girl who lives next door.
(d) His cousin.
5. What are most of Dave's parent's arguments about?
(a) Money problems.
(c) Dave's brothers.
6. What is Dave's mother's biggest asset?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her love for her family.
(c) Her determination.
(d) Her intelligence.
7. Where is Dave taken after the meeting in Mr. Hansen's office?
(b) To his father's workplace.
(c) Back to his classroom.
(d) The police station.
8. Why does Dave not mind running to school in the morning?
(a) He can get there early enough to steal food from other children's lunch bags.
(b) He likes to get to school early and talk to the teachers
(c) He can play tag with the other children in the schoolyard.
(d) He likes to stay in shape for the track team.
9. How does Dave's mother surprise him after he finishes washing the dishes in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) She tells him he did a good job with the dishes.
(b) She gives him a kiss on the forehead.
(c) She allows him to eat the milk and cereal leftover in his brother's bowl.
(d) She tells him she is proud of him.
10. What does Dave's mother tell the principal in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) Dave is always falling down.
(b) Dave gets into fights in the neighborhood.
(c) Dave hurts himself and makes up wild stories.
(d) Dave's brothers hurt him.
11. In the beginning, how does Dave find out if he can come out of his room to play?
(a) His brothers ask Father.
(b) His mother comes into the room to tell him.
(c) His brothers tell him it's okay.
(d) His brothers ask Mother.
12. What is the name of Dave's father?
(a) David Joseph.
(b) Joseph Stephen.
(c) Stephen Joseph.
(d) Stephen David.
13. What is Dave's mother's favorite weapon against him?
(a) Open handed slaps.
(b) Kicks to the thighs.
(c) Slaps with a leather belt.
(d) Withholding food.
14. What does Dave's father eventually do when he keeps losing the arguments with his wife?
(a) He goes to bed.
(b) He sits and cries.
(c) He packs a bag and goes to work.
(d) He hides in the garage.
15. Who does Dave show the scar on his chest to while he is in the principal's office?
(a) The nurse.
(b) The principal.
(c) A policeman.
(d) The teachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the favorite thing Dave's mother does for her family Chapter 2, Good Times?
2. What does Dave's mother make him and his brothers to do for hours at a time in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
3. What does Dave's mother teach him in a small trenched hole at the Russian River?
4. When Dave's mother receives the phone call from the authorities in Chapter 1, The Rescue, what is she told?
5. What does Dave decide to do when he realizes that he finally beat his mother in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)