|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dave's mother receives the phone call from the authorities in Chapter 1, The Rescue, what is she told?
(a) That Dave will be late getting home.
(b) That she should pick up Dave from school.
(c) That Dave got a detention.
(d) That Dave is in the custody of the juvenile department.
2. What does Dave say happened to his face when he is questioned about the bruises in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) He says that he was playing baseball and got hit with the bat.
(b) He says that he bumped into the cabinet.
(c) He says that he fell down the stairs.
(d) He says that he tripped and fell.
3. What does Dave's mother teach him in a small trenched hole at the Russian River?
(a) How to catch crayfish.
(b) How to swim.
(c) How to catch minnows.
(d) How to fish.
4. Who is Dave's best friend when he repeats first grade?
(a) His brother Stan.
(b) His cousin.
(c) The girl who lives next door.
(d) A boy from his neighborhood.
5. What does Dave decide to do when he realizes that he finally beat his mother in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) He will use any tactic to survive.
(b) He will beg his mother to leave him alone.
(c) He will ask his father to take him away.
(d) He will run away.
6. Dave's mother comes after him as he sits in his chair in the bedroom in Chapter 3, Bad Boy. What does she do to him?
(a) She tells him she is sorry.
(b) She brushes his hair.
(c) She hits him over and over and dislocates his shoulder.
(d) She gives him a hug.
7. Who does Dave compare his family to before the abuse started?
(a) The Partridge family.
(b) The Ingalls family.
(c) The Brady Bunch.
(d) The Cleaver family.
8. How does Dave manage to steal food from his classmates?
(a) He grabs food right off the lunch tables.
(b) Before school while his classmates are outside playing.
(c) He sneaks into the lockers before lunch.
(d) He grabs the lunch bags of the smaller children.
9. What happens to Dave when he forgets what his mother sent him to do in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) He gets sent to his room.
(b) She slaps him in the face, giving him a bloody nose.
(c) He gets banned from the house.
(d) He is sent to bed without supper.
10. What is Dave's mother's reaction when she finds out he has been stealing lunches at school?
(a) She makes him eat his food off the floor.
(b) She makes him eat until he is sick.
(c) She doesn't feed him all weekend.
(d) She tapes his mouth shut.
11. How does Dave feel about school in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) He hates it.
(b) He is indifferent to it.
(c) It is torture for him.
(d) It is his haven away from mother.
12. What nickname does Dave's father use for him?
(a) Big Guy.
13. Why does Dave's mother burn his arm on the gas stove?
(a) She is angry that he got home late.
(b) She is angry that he didn't brush his teeth.
(c) She finds out he told a lie.
(d) She says that he played on the grass at school.
14. What is Dave's plan when he cannot steal food from school anymore?
(a) He gets food out of the dumpster.
(b) He breaks into the snack machine.
(c) He leaves the school and steals from stores.
(d) He steals it from stores on the way to school.
15. Why does Dave grow to hate his father more than his mother?
(a) His father is more abusive than his mother.
(b) His father does nothing to help him anymore.
(c) His father helps his mother torture him.
(d) His father leaves the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Dave does when he gets to school in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
2. What is Dave's mother's reaction when she receives a call from the principal about Dave's condition in in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
3. What do all the students in Dave's class do when he returns to the classroom in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
4. Where does Dave's mother have him sleep on the night of the chair incident?
5. How does Dave do with his school work in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)