|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the occupation of Dave's father?
(d) Bank clerk.
2. What form of punishment does Dave get after his mother decides sitting in the corner is no longer effective?
(a) He has to write a hundred times that he is a bad boy.
(b) He has to remain silent for the entire day.
(c) He has to stand with his face pushed into the mirror, repeating over and over that he is a bad boy.
(d) He has to stand on a chair in the corner.
3. How does Dave save himself from being forced to lie across the stove?
(a) He promises to be good.
(b) He stalls for time until his brother gets home.
(c) He tells his mother that he loves her.
(d) He begs for forgiveness.
4. During the good years, when do the holidays begin for Dave's family?
(c) New Year's Day.
5. How does Dave's mother surprise him after he finishes washing the dishes in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) She tells him she is proud of him.
(b) She allows him to eat the milk and cereal leftover in his brother's bowl.
(c) She gives him a kiss on the forehead.
(d) She tells him he did a good job with the dishes.
6. What does Dave's father do when his mother decides Santa would not be coming to Dave?
(a) He buys Dave two paint-by-numbers kits.
(b) He leaves the house.
(c) He agrees with Dave's mother.
(d) He buys Dave a huge pile of toys.
7. After the chair incident, what does Dave's mother tell the doctor and Dave's father happened to Dave?
(a) He fell out of bed.
(b) He fell out of a tree.
(c) He fell off his bike.
(d) He fell down the stairs.
8. Chapter 2, Good Times, what does Dave's mother tell Dave and his brothers they should always do?
(a) They should always say their prayers.
(b) They should go to college.
(c) They should always go to church.
(d) They should always do the best they can in everything.
9. What is Dave's mother's reaction when she receives a call from the principal about Dave's condition in in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) She puts Dave in the basement all night.
(b) She resists the urge to beat Dave.
(c) She ties Dave to a chair for the night.
(d) She gives Dave two bloody noses and knocks out a tooth.
10. What kind of a housekeeper is Dave's mother during the good times?
(a) She is a clean fiend.
(b) She rarely cleans the house.
(c) She is untidy and doesn't care about the house.
(d) She cleans enough to get by.
11. How does Dave do with his school work in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) He gets bad grades on all his papers.
(b) He leaves his papers blank.
(c) He never finishes his school work.
(d) He gets more happy faces than everyone else in the class.
12. What is the new bed assigned to Dave by his mother in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) He sleeps in the garage.
(b) He sleeps under the kitchen table with newspapers for covers.
(c) He sleeps in the basement.
(d) He sleeps in the doghouse in the back yard.
13. What is Dave's punishment after the camping trip is over?
(a) He has to mow the lawn.
(b) He has to do his brother's chores.
(c) He has to do the dishes every night.
(d) He is never to speak again unless he is told to.
14. Why does Dave grow to hate his father more than his mother?
(a) His father leaves the house.
(b) His father helps his mother torture him.
(c) His father is more abusive than his mother.
(d) His father does nothing to help him anymore.
15. What is Dave's plan when he cannot steal food from school anymore?
(a) He steals it from stores on the way to school.
(b) He gets food out of the dumpster.
(c) He breaks into the snack machine.
(d) He leaves the school and steals from stores.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave's favorite place in the world to go during vacation, according to Chapter 2, Good Times?
2. What is the disgusting punishment Dave's mother invents for him when the family is vacationing at the Russian River in in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
3. What do Dave and his family like to do in the springtime in Chapter 2, Good Times?
4. How does Dave's mother refer to him by in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
5. Dave's mother comes after him as he sits in his chair in the bedroom in Chapter 3, Bad Boy. What does she do to him?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)