|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who checks for new injuries on Dave every morning before school starts?
(a) Miss Woods.
(b) Mr. Zeigler.
(c) The school nurse.
(d) The principal.
2. When Dave is called back to the office from his classroom in Chapter 1, The Rescue, who is there to see him?
(a) His mother and brothers.
(b) A policeman, Mr. Hansen, Mr. Zeigler, and Miss Woods.
(c) His mother and father.
(d) His mother and Mr. Hansen.
3. Chapter 2, Good Times, what does Dave's mother tell Dave and his brothers they should always do?
(a) They should always say their prayers.
(b) They should go to college.
(c) They should always go to church.
(d) They should always do the best they can in everything.
4. Beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy, what does Dave's mother do on the days his father is away at work?
(a) She volunteers at the school.
(b) She volunteers at the hospital.
(c) She goes on shopping sprees all day.
(d) She lies on the couch all day, watching television in her bathrobe.
5. How does Dave eventually get food at home in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) He gets up at night and sneaks it out of the refrigerator.
(b) He begs his brothers for food.
(c) He begs his mother for scraps.
(d) He takes it out of the garbage.
6. How does Dave's relationship with his mother change in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) From indifference to punishment.
(b) From discipline to punishment.
(c) From discipline to indifference.
(d) From punishment to leniency.
7. Why is Dave afraid to give his mother's phone number to the authorities?
(a) He doesn't want to disturb her.
(b) He is afraid his brothers will punish him.
(c) He doesn't want her to get in trouble.
(d) He is afraid of what she will do to him.
8. What does Dave's teacher, Miss Moss, start questioning him about?
(a) Why he is tired, the condition of his clothes, and his bruises.
(b) His mother's pregnancy.
(c) Why he doesn't do his homework.
(d) Why he doesn't take the bus.
9. What kind of a housekeeper is Dave's mother during the good times?
(a) She is a clean fiend.
(b) She rarely cleans the house.
(c) She cleans enough to get by.
(d) She is untidy and doesn't care about the house.
10. What is Dave's mother's name?
(a) Catherine Stephens.
(b) Catherine Roberts.
(c) Catherine Roerva.
(d) Catherine Josephs.
11. What do Dave and his family like to do in the springtime in Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) Plant the vegetable garden.
(b) Visit the zoo.
(c) Go on picnics.
(d) Wash the windows.
12. What is Dave's mother's favorite weapon against him?
(a) Withholding food.
(b) Kicks to the thighs.
(c) Slaps with a leather belt.
(d) Open handed slaps.
13. What does Dave's mother explain to her children while their cat is having kittens?
(a) The miracle of birth.
(b) To keep away from the mother cat.
(c) Not to touch the kittens.
(d) How cats mate.
14. How does Dave do with his school work in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) He gets more happy faces than everyone else in the class.
(b) He leaves his papers blank.
(c) He gets bad grades on all his papers.
(d) He never finishes his school work.
15. Why isn't Dave allowed to get a ride to school with his brothers?
(a) He is no longer considered a member of the family.
(b) He is too smelly.
(c) He gets car sick.
(d) There is no room for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dave's mother burn his arm on the gas stove?
2. Where is Dave taken after the meeting in Mr. Hansen's office?
3. What kind of pets does Dave's family have Chapter 2, Good Times?
4. What does Dave's mother make him and his brothers to do for hours at a time in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
5. What are the contents of the lunch Dave's mother has been making him every day for three years?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)