|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dave find food after being confined in the garage for hours in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) He eats food left for the cat.
(b) He eats food that he hid in his pocket.
(c) He eats food out of the garbage can.
(d) He eats food from the freezer.
2. Who is Dave's best friend when he repeats first grade?
(a) A boy from his neighborhood.
(b) The girl who lives next door.
(c) His brother Stan.
(d) His cousin.
3. When Dave's mother receives the phone call from the authorities in Chapter 1, The Rescue, what is she told?
(a) That she should pick up Dave from school.
(b) That Dave is in the custody of the juvenile department.
(c) That Dave will be late getting home.
(d) That Dave got a detention.
4. What does Dave's mother tell him in Chapter 1, The Rescue to say happened to his face?
(a) The dog jumped on him.
(b) He ran into a door.
(c) He fell down the stairs.
(d) His brother hit him.
5. What is Dave's favorite place in Golden Gate Park?
(a) The Steinhart Aquarium.
(b) The carousel.
(c) The beautiful flower gardens.
(d) The reflecting pool.
6. Why is Dave afraid to give his mother's phone number to the authorities?
(a) He is afraid his brothers will punish him.
(b) He doesn't want to disturb her.
(c) He doesn't want her to get in trouble.
(d) He is afraid of what she will do to him.
7. After the chair incident, what does Dave's mother tell the doctor and Dave's father happened to Dave?
(a) He fell down the stairs.
(b) He fell out of a tree.
(c) He fell out of bed.
(d) He fell off his bike.
8. How does Dave feel about school in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) He is indifferent to it.
(b) It is torture for him.
(c) He hates it.
(d) It is his haven away from mother.
9. Who checks for new injuries on Dave every morning before school starts?
(a) The principal.
(b) Mr. Zeigler.
(c) Miss Woods.
(d) The school nurse.
10. In Chapter 2, Good Times, when does Dave's mom hug him, giving him a feeling of warmth and safety?
(a) When she listens to his bedtime prayers.
(b) Watching the sunset on the Russian River.
(c) When she tucks him into bed.
(d) When she wakes him up in the morning.
11. How does Dave's mother refer to him by in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(c) The brat.
(d) The boy.
12. Why does Dave grow to hate his father more than his mother?
(a) His father does nothing to help him anymore.
(b) His father helps his mother torture him.
(c) His father leaves the house.
(d) His father is more abusive than his mother.
13. What happens to Dave when he forgets what his mother sent him to do in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) He is sent to bed without supper.
(b) He gets banned from the house.
(c) He gets sent to his room.
(d) She slaps him in the face, giving him a bloody nose.
14. What do all the students in Dave's class do when he returns to the classroom in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) They hold their noses and hiss at him because he smells.
(b) They smile at him.
(c) They yell insults at him.
(d) They snicker at him behind their notebooks.
15. What does Dave say when people at school ask him the cause of his bruises?
(a) He mumbles incoherently.
(b) He uses ready-made excuses his mother told him.
(c) He always says that he is clumsy and falls a lot.
(d) He makes up lies on the spot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Dave's father?
2. How does Dave eventually get food at home in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
3. What is the favorite thing Dave's mother does for her family Chapter 2, Good Times?
4. What do Dave and his family like to do in the springtime in Chapter 2, Good Times?
5. Where does Dave's family live in Chapter 2, Good Times?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)