|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dave is called back to the office from his classroom in Chapter 1, The Rescue, who is there to see him?
(a) His mother and Mr. Hansen.
(b) A policeman, Mr. Hansen, Mr. Zeigler, and Miss Woods.
(c) His mother and brothers.
(d) His mother and father.
2. What is the favorite thing Dave's mother does for her family Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) Washing and ironing their clothes.
(b) Creating new and exotic meals.
(c) Singing to them at bedtime.
(d) Praying with them before bed.
3. What is the rare thing Dave's mother does when he finishes eating in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) She combs his hair.
(b) She drives him to school.
(c) She makes him a lunch.
(d) She gives him a hug.
4. How does Dave feel about school in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) It is torture for him.
(b) He is indifferent to it.
(c) He hates it.
(d) It is his haven away from mother.
5. What are Dave and his brothers allowed to do on Christmas Eve in Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) Stay up late.
(b) Make cookies.
(c) Wait for Santa until they fall asleep.
(d) Open one present.
6. What are the contents of the lunch Dave's mother has been making him every day for three years?
(a) Two tuna sandwiches and an apple.
(b) Two peanut butter sandwiches and carrot sticks.
(c) Two bologna sandwiches and carrot sticks.
(d) Two jelly sandwiches and an apple.
7. Where is Dave taken after the meeting in Mr. Hansen's office?
(a) To his father's workplace.
(c) Back to his classroom.
(d) The police station.
8. What is Dave's father's reaction to Dave's punishments?
(a) He tries to convince Dave's mother that she is too harsh.
(b) He forces Dave's mother to feed him.
(c) He holds Dave and comforts him.
(d) He doesn't do anything.
9. Why does Dave's mother push his face into the counter in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) She sees him hurting his brother.
(b) She hears him using foul language.
(c) She catches him with his hands out of the dish water.
(d) He sasses her.
10. By in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, how is Dave treated by the rest of the family?
(a) They visit him when mother isn't looking.
(b) They do not acknowledge him.
(c) They sneak food to him.
(d) They feel sorry for him.
11. What is the occupation of Dave's father?
(b) Bank clerk.
12. Chapter 2, Good Times, who is in command of all family matters in Dave's household?
(a) His father.
(b) They all make decisions as a family.
(c) His mother.
(d) His mother and father make decisions together.
13. What does Dave's mother explain to her children while their cat is having kittens?
(a) To keep away from the mother cat.
(b) Not to touch the kittens.
(c) The miracle of birth.
(d) How cats mate.
14. What does Dave's mother proceed to do after she announces to her children that she is sick Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) She paints the steps leading to the garage red, placing mats over them before the paint is dry.
(b) She calls her husband and tells him to come home.
(c) She lies on the couch and falls asleep.
(d) She goes to her bedroom to lie down.
15. How does Dave eventually get food at home in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) He begs his brothers for food.
(b) He begs his mother for scraps.
(c) He takes it out of the garbage.
(d) He gets up at night and sneaks it out of the refrigerator.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave's relationship with his mother change in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
2. After the chair incident, what does Dave's mother tell the doctor and Dave's father happened to Dave?
3. Who does Dave show the scar on his chest to while he is in the principal's office?
4. What does Dave say when people at school ask him the cause of his bruises?
5. Beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy, who becomes Dave's protector?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)