|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dave's mother tell him in Chapter 1, The Rescue to say happened to his face?
(a) His brother hit him.
(b) He ran into a door.
(c) The dog jumped on him.
(d) He fell down the stairs.
2. Why does Dave not mind running to school in the morning?
(a) He can play tag with the other children in the schoolyard.
(b) He likes to get to school early and talk to the teachers
(c) He can get there early enough to steal food from other children's lunch bags.
(d) He likes to stay in shape for the track team.
3. What are most of Dave's parent's arguments about?
(a) Dave's brothers.
(d) Money problems.
4. Who checks for new injuries on Dave every morning before school starts?
(a) Miss Woods.
(b) The principal.
(c) Mr. Zeigler.
(d) The school nurse.
5. What does Dave's mother force him to drink that burns the flesh from his mouth?
(b) Dish Soap.
6. What new punishment does Dave's mother invent for him in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) No more pets.
(b) No bike riding.
(c) No more television ever.
(d) No more snacks.
7. What does Dave's mother tell the principal in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) Dave hurts himself and makes up wild stories.
(b) Dave gets into fights in the neighborhood.
(c) Dave is always falling down.
(d) Dave's brothers hurt him.
8. What is the favorite thing Dave's mother does for her family Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) Washing and ironing their clothes.
(b) Singing to them at bedtime.
(c) Creating new and exotic meals.
(d) Praying with them before bed.
9. How does Dave's mother refer to him by in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) The boy.
(d) The brat.
10. How does Dave save himself from being forced to lie across the stove?
(a) He tells his mother that he loves her.
(b) He begs for forgiveness.
(c) He stalls for time until his brother gets home.
(d) He promises to be good.
11. How does Dave feel about telling the story of his injuries in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) He is afraid that he will be blamed.
(b) He wants to tell everyone what happened.
(c) He is reluctant to talk.
(d) He wants to get his mother arrested.
12. How does Dave get caught asking for food on the way to school?
(a) His mother sees him as she drives his brother's to school.
(b) He accidentally goes to a house where a woman knows his mother.
(c) His father catches him at a neighbor's house.
(d) His brothers see him going up to houses.
13. Why does Dave want to finish washing the dishes as quickly as possible in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) So he can finish his homework.
(b) So he can play ball before school.
(c) So he can make his bed.
(d) So he can have his brother's leftover breakfast.
14. Who does Dave compare his family to before the abuse started?
(a) The Partridge family.
(b) The Ingalls family.
(c) The Cleaver family.
(d) The Brady Bunch.
15. Why does Dave grow to hate his father more than his mother?
(a) His father helps his mother torture him.
(b) His father does nothing to help him anymore.
(c) His father leaves the house.
(d) His father is more abusive than his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave's plan when he cannot steal food from school anymore?
2. Why does Dave's mother start to cry on Christmas Day in Chapter 2, Good Times?
3. What nickname does Dave's father use for him?
4. Chapter 2, Good Times, who is in command of all family matters in Dave's household?
5. During the good years, when do the holidays begin for Dave's family?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)