|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once school starts again in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, what is Dave's mother feeding him?
(a) Leftover cereal from his brothers and no dinner.
(b) No breakfast and a full dinner.
(c) Stale bread.
(d) Leftover cereal for breakfast and a regular dinner.
2. Who does Dave show the scar on his chest to while he is in the principal's office?
(a) The teachers.
(b) The nurse.
(c) A policeman.
(d) The principal.
3. What is the new bed assigned to Dave by his mother in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) He sleeps in the doghouse in the back yard.
(b) He sleeps in the garage.
(c) He sleeps in the basement.
(d) He sleeps under the kitchen table with newspapers for covers.
4. What is the favorite thing Dave's mother does for her family Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) Creating new and exotic meals.
(b) Praying with them before bed.
(c) Singing to them at bedtime.
(d) Washing and ironing their clothes.
5. How does Dave feel about telling the story of his injuries in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) He is afraid that he will be blamed.
(b) He wants to tell everyone what happened.
(c) He is reluctant to talk.
(d) He wants to get his mother arrested.
6. What does the principal give to Dave after the meeting in his office?
(a) A letter for his mother .
(b) A suspension.
(c) A detention.
(d) A tray of food.
7. For what reason does Dave think he has been called into the principal's office in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) Because he forgot his homework.
(b) To be arrested for stealing.
(c) To be given a detention for being late.
(d) Because he was talking in class.
8. During the good years, when do the holidays begin for Dave's family?
(d) New Year's Day.
9. Who does Dave compare his family to before the abuse started?
(a) The Partridge family.
(b) The Brady Bunch.
(c) The Cleaver family.
(d) The Ingalls family.
10. What does Dave's mother proceed to do after she announces to her children that she is sick Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) She goes to her bedroom to lie down.
(b) She lies on the couch and falls asleep.
(c) She paints the steps leading to the garage red, placing mats over them before the paint is dry.
(d) She calls her husband and tells him to come home.
11. What is the disgusting punishment Dave's mother invents for him when the family is vacationing at the Russian River in in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) She forces him to clean Russell's diaper with his bare hands.
(b) She pushes a soiled diaper in his face, telling him to eat it.
(c) She forces him to eat rotten food.
(d) She forces him to eat worms from the garden.
12. Why does Dave's mother burn his arm on the gas stove?
(a) She is angry that he didn't brush his teeth.
(b) She finds out he told a lie.
(c) She is angry that he got home late.
(d) She says that he played on the grass at school.
13. How does Dave manage to steal food from his classmates?
(a) He sneaks into the lockers before lunch.
(b) Before school while his classmates are outside playing.
(c) He grabs the lunch bags of the smaller children.
(d) He grabs food right off the lunch tables.
14. Where is Dave taken after the meeting in Mr. Hansen's office?
(a) To his father's workplace.
(b) The police station.
(c) Back to his classroom.
15. What does Dave's mother tell him in Chapter 1, The Rescue to say happened to his face?
(a) The dog jumped on him.
(b) His brother hit him.
(c) He ran into a door.
(d) He fell down the stairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Dave's mother start decorating for the Christmas holidays in Chapter 2, Good Times?
2. What does Dave's mother explain to her children while their cat is having kittens?
3. How does Dave's mother surprise him after he finishes washing the dishes in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
4. What does Dave say when people at school ask him the cause of his bruises?
5. What does Dave's teacher, Miss Moss, start questioning him about?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)