|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dave's mother burn his arm on the gas stove?
(a) She finds out he told a lie.
(b) She is angry that he didn't brush his teeth.
(c) She says that he played on the grass at school.
(d) She is angry that he got home late.
2. When does Dave's mother start decorating for the Christmas holidays in Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) The day after Thanksgiving.
(b) The week before Christmas.
(c) Christmas Eve.
(d) Right after Halloween.
3. Who checks for new injuries on Dave every morning before school starts?
(a) Miss Woods.
(b) Mr. Zeigler.
(c) The principal.
(d) The school nurse.
4. What new punishment does Dave's mother invent for him in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) No more pets.
(b) No more television ever.
(c) No more snacks.
(d) No bike riding.
5. How does Dave find food after being confined in the garage for hours in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) He eats food from the freezer.
(b) He eats food left for the cat.
(c) He eats food out of the garbage can.
(d) He eats food that he hid in his pocket.
6. What does Dave fantasize about as he lies in bed at night in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) A way out of the house.
(b) Running away.
(c) A huge cheeseburger with all the fixings.
(d) A huge chocolate cake.
7. What does Dave's mother make him and his brothers to do for hours at a time in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) Search the entire house for things she has lost.
(b) Wash the floors.
(c) Wash every piece of silverware over and over.
(d) Clean the basement.
8. What does Dave's mother tell him in Chapter 1, The Rescue to say happened to his face?
(a) His brother hit him.
(b) He ran into a door.
(c) The dog jumped on him.
(d) He fell down the stairs.
9. What is Dave's mother's favorite weapon against him?
(a) Open handed slaps.
(b) Slaps with a leather belt.
(c) Kicks to the thighs.
(d) Withholding food.
10. What do all the students in Dave's class do when he returns to the classroom in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) They yell insults at him.
(b) They smile at him.
(c) They snicker at him behind their notebooks.
(d) They hold their noses and hiss at him because he smells.
11. What is Dave's mother's name?
(a) Catherine Roberts.
(b) Catherine Josephs.
(c) Catherine Stephens.
(d) Catherine Roerva.
12. Who does Dave compare his family to before the abuse started?
(a) The Cleaver family.
(b) The Brady Bunch.
(c) The Ingalls family.
(d) The Partridge family.
13. What is Dave's mother's reaction when she receives a call from the principal about Dave's condition in in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) She puts Dave in the basement all night.
(b) She gives Dave two bloody noses and knocks out a tooth.
(c) She resists the urge to beat Dave.
(d) She ties Dave to a chair for the night.
14. What does Dave make sure that everyone knows about the scar on his chest?
(a) That his father stabbed him.
(b) That is was an accident.
(c) That his brother stabbed him.
(d) That his mother meant to hurt him.
15. Where do Dave and his family usually go for summer vacations in Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) The Sierras.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) Portola or Memorial Park.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dave's relationship with his mother change in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
2. When Dave is called back to the office from his classroom in Chapter 1, The Rescue, who is there to see him?
3. What is the occupation of Dave's father?
4. Once school starts again in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, what is Dave's mother feeding him?
5. In the beginning, how does Dave find out if he can come out of his room to play?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)