|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dave's mother's favorite weapon against him?
(a) Withholding food.
(b) Open handed slaps.
(c) Slaps with a leather belt.
(d) Kicks to the thighs.
2. Where is Dave taken after the meeting in Mr. Hansen's office?
(a) Back to his classroom.
(c) The police station.
(d) To his father's workplace.
3. What does Dave's father do when his mother decides Santa would not be coming to Dave?
(a) He buys Dave two paint-by-numbers kits.
(b) He leaves the house.
(c) He agrees with Dave's mother.
(d) He buys Dave a huge pile of toys.
4. How does Dave's mother refer to him by in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) The brat.
(c) The boy.
5. Beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy, who becomes Dave's protector?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His uncle.
(d) The neighbor.
6. During the good years, when do the holidays begin for Dave's family?
(d) New Year's Day.
7. What is Dave's mother's name?
(a) Catherine Josephs.
(b) Catherine Stephens.
(c) Catherine Roberts.
(d) Catherine Roerva.
8. Why does Dave grow to hate his father more than his mother?
(a) His father is more abusive than his mother.
(b) His father does nothing to help him anymore.
(c) His father helps his mother torture him.
(d) His father leaves the house.
9. Why does Dave's mother burn his arm on the gas stove?
(a) She finds out he told a lie.
(b) She says that he played on the grass at school.
(c) She is angry that he didn't brush his teeth.
(d) She is angry that he got home late.
10. What does Dave's mother force him to drink that burns the flesh from his mouth?
(c) Dish Soap.
11. What are Dave and his brothers allowed to do on Christmas Eve in Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) Make cookies.
(b) Open one present.
(c) Stay up late.
(d) Wait for Santa until they fall asleep.
12. How does Dave feel about school in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) It is his haven away from mother.
(b) It is torture for him.
(c) He hates it.
(d) He is indifferent to it.
13. What is Dave's mother's reaction when she receives a call from the principal about Dave's condition in in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) She gives Dave two bloody noses and knocks out a tooth.
(b) She ties Dave to a chair for the night.
(c) She resists the urge to beat Dave.
(d) She puts Dave in the basement all night.
14. What does Dave's father eventually do when he keeps losing the arguments with his wife?
(a) He hides in the garage.
(b) He sits and cries.
(c) He goes to bed.
(d) He packs a bag and goes to work.
15. Chapter 2, Good Times, who is in command of all family matters in Dave's household?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother and father make decisions together.
(c) They all make decisions as a family.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dave want to finish washing the dishes as quickly as possible in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
2. After the chair incident, what does Dave's mother tell the doctor and Dave's father happened to Dave?
3. What is the favorite thing Dave's mother does for her family Chapter 2, Good Times?
4. What is the name of Dave's father?
5. By in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, how is Dave treated by the rest of the family?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)