|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning, how does Dave find out if he can come out of his room to play?
(a) His brothers tell him it's okay.
(b) His mother comes into the room to tell him.
(c) His brothers ask Father.
(d) His brothers ask Mother.
2. What does the principal give to Dave after the meeting in his office?
(a) A tray of food.
(b) A letter for his mother .
(c) A suspension.
(d) A detention.
3. What does Dave say when people at school ask him the cause of his bruises?
(a) He always says that he is clumsy and falls a lot.
(b) He makes up lies on the spot.
(c) He mumbles incoherently.
(d) He uses ready-made excuses his mother told him.
4. Where is Dave taken after the meeting in Mr. Hansen's office?
(a) Back to his classroom.
(b) The police station.
(c) To his father's workplace.
5. How does Dave feel about school in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) He hates it.
(b) It is his haven away from mother.
(c) It is torture for him.
(d) He is indifferent to it.
6. How does Dave's mother surprise him after he finishes washing the dishes in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) She tells him he did a good job with the dishes.
(b) She tells him she is proud of him.
(c) She allows him to eat the milk and cereal leftover in his brother's bowl.
(d) She gives him a kiss on the forehead.
7. What is the name of Dave's father?
(a) Joseph Stephen.
(b) Stephen Joseph.
(c) Stephen David.
(d) David Joseph.
8. What does Dave decide to do when he realizes that he finally beat his mother in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) He will run away.
(b) He will ask his father to take him away.
(c) He will use any tactic to survive.
(d) He will beg his mother to leave him alone.
9. What is Dave's mother's biggest asset?
(a) Her love for her family.
(b) Her determination.
(c) Her intelligence.
(d) Her beauty.
10. What is Dave's favorite place in the world to go during vacation, according to Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) To the city.
(b) Camping in the Sierras.
(c) The Russian River.
(d) To the sea.
11. Why does Dave's mother burn his arm on the gas stove?
(a) She is angry that he didn't brush his teeth.
(b) She is angry that he got home late.
(c) She finds out he told a lie.
(d) She says that he played on the grass at school.
12. How does Dave find food after being confined in the garage for hours in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) He eats food out of the garbage can.
(b) He eats food from the freezer.
(c) He eats food left for the cat.
(d) He eats food that he hid in his pocket.
13. In Chapter 3, Bad Boy, what do Dave's parents do from 3 p.m. until bedtime when his father is not working?
(a) They go out.
(b) They drink and dance in the kitchen.
(c) They read the Bible.
(d) They argue.
14. What is Dave's punishment after the camping trip is over?
(a) He has to mow the lawn.
(b) He has to do the dishes every night.
(c) He is never to speak again unless he is told to.
(d) He has to do his brother's chores.
15. When Dave is called back to the office from his classroom in Chapter 1, The Rescue, who is there to see him?
(a) His mother and Mr. Hansen.
(b) His mother and father.
(c) A policeman, Mr. Hansen, Mr. Zeigler, and Miss Woods.
(d) His mother and brothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave's mother tell him in Chapter 1, The Rescue to say happened to his face?
2. Beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy, what does Dave's mother do on the days his father is away at work?
3. Chapter 2, Good Times, who is in command of all family matters in Dave's household?
4. What happens to Dave when he forgets what his mother sent him to do in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
5. During the good years, when do the holidays begin for Dave's family?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)