|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dave feel about telling the story of his injuries in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) He wants to tell everyone what happened.
(b) He wants to get his mother arrested.
(c) He is afraid that he will be blamed.
(d) He is reluctant to talk.
2. For what reason does Dave think he has been called into the principal's office in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) To be given a detention for being late.
(b) Because he forgot his homework.
(c) Because he was talking in class.
(d) To be arrested for stealing.
3. How does Dave get caught asking for food on the way to school?
(a) His brothers see him going up to houses.
(b) His mother sees him as she drives his brother's to school.
(c) His father catches him at a neighbor's house.
(d) He accidentally goes to a house where a woman knows his mother.
4. Beginning in Chapter 3, Bad Boy, who becomes Dave's protector?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His brother.
(c) The neighbor.
(d) His father.
5. What is the first thing Dave does when he gets to school in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) He goes to the lunch room for milk.
(b) He goes to the auditorium for assembly.
(c) He goes to the school office and is then sent to the nurse.
(d) He goes to his homeroom.
6. How does Dave do with his school work in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) He gets more happy faces than everyone else in the class.
(b) He leaves his papers blank.
(c) He gets bad grades on all his papers.
(d) He never finishes his school work.
7. What are Dave and his brothers allowed to do on Christmas Eve in Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) Stay up late.
(b) Wait for Santa until they fall asleep.
(c) Open one present.
(d) Make cookies.
8. Who does Dave show the scar on his chest to while he is in the principal's office?
(a) The teachers.
(b) The nurse.
(c) A policeman.
(d) The principal.
9. What does Dave's father eventually do when he keeps losing the arguments with his wife?
(a) He hides in the garage.
(b) He goes to bed.
(c) He packs a bag and goes to work.
(d) He sits and cries.
10. What do all the students in Dave's class do when he returns to the classroom in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) They smile at him.
(b) They hold their noses and hiss at him because he smells.
(c) They snicker at him behind their notebooks.
(d) They yell insults at him.
11. What is Dave's mother's reaction when she finds out he has been stealing lunches at school?
(a) She doesn't feed him all weekend.
(b) She makes him eat until he is sick.
(c) She tapes his mouth shut.
(d) She makes him eat his food off the floor.
12. What is the name of Dave's father?
(a) Joseph Stephen.
(b) Stephen David.
(c) David Joseph.
(d) Stephen Joseph.
13. What does Dave's mother proceed to do after she announces to her children that she is sick Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) She lies on the couch and falls asleep.
(b) She calls her husband and tells him to come home.
(c) She paints the steps leading to the garage red, placing mats over them before the paint is dry.
(d) She goes to her bedroom to lie down.
14. How does Dave's mother look on a typical day?
(a) Long shiny hair, shining teeth, and stylish.
(b) Swollen red eyes, frazzled hair, no makeup, and overweight.
(c) Soft curly hair, thin, and lovely.
(d) Short wavy hair, glowing smile, and well-groomed.
15. Where does Dave's family live in Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) In a three-bedroom house in San Francisco.
(b) In a two-bedroom house in Daly City, outside of San Francisco.
(c) In a two-bedroom house in Los Angeles.
(d) In a three-bedroom house in El Paso.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dave's mother push his face into the counter in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
2. Who is Dave's best friend when he repeats first grade?
3. What does Dave's mother force him to drink that burns the flesh from his mouth?
4. What are the contents of the lunch Dave's mother has been making him every day for three years?
5. Where is Dave taken after the meeting in Mr. Hansen's office?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)