|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Dave go when he finishes his chores after school?
(a) To the neighbor's house.
(b) To bed.
(c) To stand in the basement.
(d) Out in the yard.
2. What does Dave's father eventually do when he keeps losing the arguments with his wife?
(a) He sits and cries.
(b) He goes to bed.
(c) He hides in the garage.
(d) He packs a bag and goes to work.
3. What is the favorite thing Dave's mother does for her family Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) Praying with them before bed.
(b) Creating new and exotic meals.
(c) Singing to them at bedtime.
(d) Washing and ironing their clothes.
4. Where do Dave and his family usually go for summer vacations in Chapter 2, Good Times?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) The Sierras.
(d) Portola or Memorial Park.
5. What is the occupation of Dave's father?
(a) Bank clerk.
6. What is the new bed assigned to Dave by his mother in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) He sleeps in the doghouse in the back yard.
(b) He sleeps under the kitchen table with newspapers for covers.
(c) He sleeps in the basement.
(d) He sleeps in the garage.
7. How does Dave feel about telling the story of his injuries in Chapter 1, The Rescue?
(a) He is afraid that he will be blamed.
(b) He is reluctant to talk.
(c) He wants to get his mother arrested.
(d) He wants to tell everyone what happened.
8. By in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food, how is Dave treated by the rest of the family?
(a) They sneak food to him.
(b) They visit him when mother isn't looking.
(c) They do not acknowledge him.
(d) They feel sorry for him.
9. How does Dave's relationship with his mother change in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) From discipline to punishment.
(b) From indifference to punishment.
(c) From discipline to indifference.
(d) From punishment to leniency.
10. Who does Dave show the scar on his chest to while he is in the principal's office?
(a) The principal.
(b) The teachers.
(c) The nurse.
(d) A policeman.
11. Why does Dave not mind running to school in the morning?
(a) He can get there early enough to steal food from other children's lunch bags.
(b) He likes to stay in shape for the track team.
(c) He likes to get to school early and talk to the teachers
(d) He can play tag with the other children in the schoolyard.
12. What does Dave's mother tell him in Chapter 1, The Rescue to say happened to his face?
(a) He ran into a door.
(b) He fell down the stairs.
(c) The dog jumped on him.
(d) His brother hit him.
13. What is Dave's mother's favorite weapon against him?
(a) Slaps with a leather belt.
(b) Open handed slaps.
(c) Kicks to the thighs.
(d) Withholding food.
14. What does Dave decide to do when he realizes that he finally beat his mother in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
(a) He will ask his father to take him away.
(b) He will run away.
(c) He will beg his mother to leave him alone.
(d) He will use any tactic to survive.
15. What does Dave's mother tell the principal in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
(a) Dave hurts himself and makes up wild stories.
(b) Dave gets into fights in the neighborhood.
(c) Dave is always falling down.
(d) Dave's brothers hurt him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave's teacher, Miss Moss, start questioning him about?
2. What happens to Dave when he forgets what his mother sent him to do in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
3. What new punishment does Dave's mother invent for him in Chapter 3, Bad Boy?
4. After the chair incident, what does Dave's mother tell the doctor and Dave's father happened to Dave?
5. What does Dave fantasize about as he lies in bed at night in Chapter 4, The Fight for Food?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)