Chapter 1, The Rescue
• Dave hurries to finish the dishes so he can have his brother's leftover breakfast.
• Dave does not mind running to school because it gives him time to steal food from his classmates.
• Dave brings two peanut butter sandwiches and carrot sticks for lunch every day for three years.
• The school nurse checks Dave for injuries every day before school.
• Dave tells the school nurse he ran into a door when she sees his bruises.
• A policeman, Mr. Hansen, Mr. Zeigler, and Miss Woods are in the principal's office waiting for Dave.
• The policeman asks to see the scar on Dave's chest.
• Dave is taken to the police station after the meeting in the principal's office.
• Dave is afraid of what his mother will do if she finds out.
• Dave's mother is told he is in the custody of the juvenile department.
• The policeman tells Dave...
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)