|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The overlapping shields of the Spartan soldiers create a solid wall of ___________.
2. Who is assigned as a picket for the night after the Spartans won two decisive victories over the Persians?
3. The narrow trail is near a cliff which falls to the ___________ below.
4. What does Ephialtes reveal to Leonidas as a way to circumvent the Hot Gates?
5. What is the first formation the Greeks fall into when the Persians eventually attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The strategy with which Leonidas fights the battle is impressive. He continues to shift strategies until he finds one that works for the situation.
Part 1: Which strategy was the most impressive to you as a reader? Why?
Part 2: Do you think Leonidas should have done anything different? What?
Part 3: Do you think the strategies might work in today's modern warfare battles? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The bravery of the Spartans is seen from the very beginning of the battle with the Persians.
Part 1: How do you think the bronze armor helped the bravery of the Spartans?
Part 2: Do you think that all of Leonidas' army is as brave as he thinks they are? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might make a soldier true to his army? What makes a soldier brave enough to fight?
Essay Topic 3
The question of whether Leonidas has another soldiers is one that comes up again and again.
Part 1: How many soldiers do you think will be enough for Leonidas to have? Why?
Part 2: Is it better to have more soldiers or higher quality soldiers in lesser numbers? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think Leonidas wanted to pick his own soldiers one by one?
This section contains 1,593 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)