|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Xerxes wants to raise an army to smash _________ as well.
2. The family of Ephialtes left ____________ and traveled north to get away.
3. Who does the Persian ambassador attempt to lash as he becomes more and more frustrated?
4. What kind of pushups are the soldiers in this chapter doing?
5. Who is doing the intense physical training depicted at the start of this chapter?
Essay Topic 1
In order to be a great leader of an army, it seems you need to have a bit of arrogance as well as intelligence.
Part 1: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance help him?
Part 2: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance hurt him in battle?
Part 3: Does arrogance seem to be a positive or a negative quality for a leader? Why do you choose the answer you do?
Essay Topic 2
The bravery of the Spartans is seen from the very beginning of the battle with the Persians.
Part 1: How do you think the bronze armor helped the bravery of the Spartans?
Part 2: Do you think that all of Leonidas' army is as brave as he thinks they are? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might make a soldier true to his army? What makes a soldier brave enough to fight?
Essay Topic 3
The physical training Leonidas asks of his soldiers is intense, but necessary in order to fight well on the battlefield.
Part 1: Why do you think Leonidas values this intense training?
Part 2: Why haven't the soldiers been put into this intense training until just before the battle?
Part 3: If the soldiers Leonidas picked were already professional soldiers, why do they need more training?
This section contains 1,581 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)