|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Greek formation in #101, what must interlock in order to provide cover to the soldiers?
2. The Hot Gates are a part of a massive cliff ______________ that blocks the path for many miles.
3. The Hot Gates themselves are a narrow ______________ gap at the base of a wall.
4. What happens when the army begins to leave in order to protect the secret path, as revealed by Ephialtes?
5. Which force has been in hiding and is sprung as the second trap against the Persian special army?
Essay Topic 1
Some of the people in the Persian army are driven ahead, only by the lashes of a whip.
Part 1: Do you think pain or fear of pain is a good enough reason to fight well for an army?
Part 2: What are some other ways that the soldiers in the Persian army could have been motivated?
Part 3: Why do you think the soldiers lashed the soldiers during the battle?
Essay Topic 2
In some respects, it seems like Leonidas (at the start of the story) is more of a follower than a leader.
Part 1: Why doesn't Leonidas make up his own mind when it comes to the Persian envoy's demands of him?
Part 2: What might have happened if Leonidas has simply agreed to the demands of the Persian envoy?
Part 3: Do you think the Persian envoy was trying to manipulate Leonidas? Why or why not? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Ephialtes sees that the Persians are just murdering others because they can, not because they need to.
Part 1: Is there ever a time when mass murder is not needless?
Part 2: Why do you think Ephialtes suddenly does not want a lot of people to die needlessly?
Part 3: Why does Ephialtes still want Leonidas and his army to surrender to Persia?
This section contains 1,614 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)