|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Greek formation in #101, what must interlock in order to provide cover to the soldiers?
2. The Hot Gates are a part of a massive cliff ______________ that blocks the path for many miles.
3. The Hot Gates themselves are a narrow ______________ gap at the base of a wall.
4. What happens when the army begins to leave in order to protect the secret path, as revealed by Ephialtes?
5. Which force has been in hiding and is sprung as the second trap against the Persian special army?
Essay Topic 1
Dilios likes to tells stories in this book, helping to inspire the soldiers and to teach them about their own powers, it seems.
Part 1: Why is the character of Dilios important to the story? What does he provide?
Part 2: If the character of Dilios were not included in this story, what might be different in the story?
Part 3: Who might be seen as a modern day Dilios character in the world or in another book? Why did you choose this person?
Essay Topic 2
In some respects, it seems like Leonidas (at the start of the story) is more of a follower than a leader.
Part 1: Why doesn't Leonidas make up his own mind when it comes to the Persian envoy's demands of him?
Part 2: What might have happened if Leonidas has simply agreed to the demands of the Persian envoy?
Part 3: Do you think the Persian envoy was trying to manipulate Leonidas? Why or why not? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
The bravery of the Spartans is seen from the very beginning of the battle with the Persians.
Part 1: How do you think the bronze armor helped the bravery of the Spartans?
Part 2: Do you think that all of Leonidas' army is as brave as he thinks they are? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might make a soldier true to his army? What makes a soldier brave enough to fight?
This section contains 1,614 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)