|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refused to abandon Ephialtes' mother, which also helped to save him?
2. The narrow trail is near a cliff which falls to the ___________ below.
3. In the Greek formation in #101, what must interlock in order to provide cover to the soldiers?
4. Who allows Ephialtes to speak with him in private about his wishes to be a part of the Spartan army?
5. What is the first formation the Greeks fall into when the Persians eventually attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the Spartan defensive tactics center (location-wise) in the beginning of this chapter?
2. What happens when the Persian Ambassador decides to lash Dilios?
3. What formation does Leonidas command once he realizes the camels might prove problematic in battle?
4. What is the advantage of fighting at the Hot Gates for the Spartans or for any army that uses this location?
5. Describe the appearance of the Hot Gates where the Spartans are fighting.
6. What does Leonidas see as a major flaw in King Xerxes?
7. What kinds of armor and weaponry do the Persians have during battle?
8. What does the Persian Ambassador do, even after his significant injury?
9. What is the Persian Ambassador worried about when he approaches camp?
10. Who is the Persian representative that come into camp as the Spartans begin to ready for a major battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ambassador from Persia tries to get the Spartans to surrender before the battle even begins, and loses an arm at the same time.
Part 1: What would be the value of surrendering for the Spartan army? How would the Persians benefit?
Part 2: Do you think the Persian army believes the Spartans had any possibility of surrendering? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it would have been a better idea for the Spartans to have surrendered? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The strategy with which Leonidas fights the battle is impressive. He continues to shift strategies until he finds one that works for the situation.
Part 1: Which strategy was the most impressive to you as a reader? Why?
Part 2: Do you think Leonidas should have done anything different? What?
Part 3: Do you think the strategies might work in today's modern warfare battles? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ephialtes really wants to fight for Sparta, but his physical deformity prevents him from impressing Leonidas.
Part 1: What is the role of Ephialtes in the story? Why is his character so important?
Part 2: What might have happened had Leonidas allowed him to be on the army?
Part 3: Why do you think Ephialtes wanted to fight with Leonidas?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)