|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of shields do the Persian army carry, which are also not very effective against the Greeks?
2. The Spartans are stacking up a large __________ of Persians even before the main battle begins.
3. In the end of the battle between the Immortals and the Spartans, who ends up with their army entirely dead?
4. What do the Spartans pile into a slippery and unstable wall at the end of their victory over the second wave of Persians?
5. What does the Spartan soldier do to the Persian ambassador in response to his actions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Persian Ambassador worried about when he approaches camp?
2. What does Ephialtes hope to gain from fighting with the Spartan army as one of the soldiers?
3. What is the advantage of fighting at the Hot Gates for the Spartans or for any army that uses this location?
4. After the initial assault of the Persians is defeated, what do the Persians do next to the Spartans?
5. What formation does Leonidas command once he realizes the camels might prove problematic in battle?
6. Why doesn't Leonidas accept Ephialtes as a soldier in the Spartan army when he asks to be a part of the march?
7. What has Ephialtes taken from his father and brought with him as he sought the Spartan forces?
8. What is the hoplite phalanx formation that the Spartans use and what happens when it is used in battle?
9. What does Leonidas see as a major flaw in King Xerxes?
10. What is shown in the graphics to represent the harsh training the soldiers undergo at camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The question of whether Leonidas has another soldiers is one that comes up again and again.
Part 1: How many soldiers do you think will be enough for Leonidas to have? Why?
Part 2: Is it better to have more soldiers or higher quality soldiers in lesser numbers? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think Leonidas wanted to pick his own soldiers one by one?
Essay Topic 2
In order to be a great leader of an army, it seems you need to have a bit of arrogance as well as intelligence.
Part 1: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance help him?
Part 2: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance hurt him in battle?
Part 3: Does arrogance seem to be a positive or a negative quality for a leader? Why do you choose the answer you do?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of war is one that pervades this story, though it seems at times to take over the minds of men and make them do things that they might not have normally done.
Part 1: Why do you think Persia and Sparta are at war with each other?
Part 2: Do you think Persia and Sparta could ever stop being at war and come to a truce? Why or why not?
Part 3: How does the war between Persia and Sparta compare with modern day wars? How is it similar and how is it different?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)