|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ephialtes thought to have died from before?
2. Who allows Ephialtes to speak with him in private about his wishes to be a part of the Spartan army?
3. What does Leonidas order the Spartans to use as their formation when he begins to realize the power of the animals?
4. What does Ephialtes reveal to Leonidas as a way to circumvent the Hot Gates?
5. What is Ephialtes not able to raise to the proper height, as seen in his demonstration of his fighting ability?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Spartans do with the Persian corpses from their battle in order to intimidate others, it seems?
2. What is shown in the graphics to represent the harsh training the soldiers undergo at camp?
3. After the initial assault of the Persians is defeated, what do the Persians do next to the Spartans?
4. What tale does Dilios tell as the Persian Ambassador visits the Spartan camp?
5. What ensures no man in the Spartan army will falter or flee, according to the story?
6. What does the Persian Ambassador do, even after his significant injury?
7. What kinds of armor and weaponry do the Persians have during battle?
8. What is the initial reaction to the Persian Ambassador when he comes into camp?
9. What formation does Leonidas command once he realizes the camels might prove problematic in battle?
10. Where do the Spartan defensive tactics center (location-wise) in the beginning of this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ephialtes sees that the Persians are just murdering others because they can, not because they need to.
Part 1: Is there ever a time when mass murder is not needless?
Part 2: Why do you think Ephialtes suddenly does not want a lot of people to die needlessly?
Part 3: Why does Ephialtes still want Leonidas and his army to surrender to Persia?
Essay Topic 2
Ephialtes offers up his services in exchange for worldly things - women, land, wealth, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think Ephialtes decided to offer himself to the Persian side of the war?
Part 2: Why do you think the Persian king decided to take Ephialtes up on his offer?
Part 3: Who do you think was manipulating whom in the agreement between Ephialtes and the Persian king? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The physical training Leonidas asks of his soldiers is intense, but necessary in order to fight well on the battlefield.
Part 1: Why do you think Leonidas values this intense training?
Part 2: Why haven't the soldiers been put into this intense training until just before the battle?
Part 3: If the soldiers Leonidas picked were already professional soldiers, why do they need more training?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)