|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men think of the answer to #106? What do the soldiers believe is happening?
2. What was Ephialtes thought to have died from before?
3. As a result of his deformity, Ephialtes, Leonidas tells him he can not be a part of the ___________.
4. What do the Spartans push at the fine army from Persian, causing them to break their ranks?
5. Where are most of the Persian fighters forced to go when they are faced with the new Greek formation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of armor and weaponry do the Persians have during battle?
2. Why doesn't Leonidas accept Ephialtes as a soldier in the Spartan army when he asks to be a part of the march?
3. What is the Persian Ambassador worried about when he approaches camp?
4. Who is the Persian representative that come into camp as the Spartans begin to ready for a major battle?
5. Why wasn't Ephialtes left to die of exposure in the fields in Sparta like other deformed children?
6. What is the initial reaction to the Persian Ambassador when he comes into camp?
7. What is shown in the graphics to represent the harsh training the soldiers undergo at camp?
8. What does Leonidas see as a major flaw in King Xerxes?
9. What does King Xerxes offer to Leonidas when he comes into the camp the evening after battle?
10. After the initial assault of the Persians is defeated, what do the Persians do next to the Spartans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The armies both want to intimidate the other army in order to get the upper hand in the battle.
Part 1: How much of a battle do you think is mental? How much is physical?
Part 2: Is it more important for any army to have mental toughness or physical toughness? Why?
Part 3: What does intimidation do to the opposing army who is being intimidated? What does the intimidation do for the army who is doing the intimidating?
Essay Topic 2
The question of whether Leonidas has another soldiers is one that comes up again and again.
Part 1: How many soldiers do you think will be enough for Leonidas to have? Why?
Part 2: Is it better to have more soldiers or higher quality soldiers in lesser numbers? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think Leonidas wanted to pick his own soldiers one by one?
Essay Topic 3
The terrain itself in the story seems to be a character in and of itself. From the narrow ledges to the creative names, it too seems to have a place in the story.
Part 1: Which part of the terrain do you think was most important to the story? Why?
Part 2: What do the names of the lands seem to say about the land as a whole or about the battle taking place?
Part 3: If the land were to be more generic, how might this have affected the story as a whole?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)