|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Persian visitor traveling on as they enter into the Greek camp?
2. What do the men think of the answer to #106? What do the soldiers believe is happening?
3. The Spartans are stacking up a large __________ of Persians even before the main battle begins.
4. Who does Leonidas call by his given name, thus restoring pride to him?
5. Dilios spins a tale of Spartan ____________ as the Persian visitor begins to speak to the camp.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ephialtes hope to gain from fighting with the Spartan army as one of the soldiers?
2. What is the Persian Ambassador worried about when he approaches camp?
3. What do the Spartans do with the Persian corpses from their battle in order to intimidate others, it seems?
4. What does Leonidas do in order to restore the honor of Stelios before the other men?
5. Describe the appearance of the Hot Gates where the Spartans are fighting.
6. What is the hoplite phalanx formation that the Spartans use and what happens when it is used in battle?
7. What does the Persian Ambassador do, even after his significant injury?
8. Who is the Persian representative that come into camp as the Spartans begin to ready for a major battle?
9. What has happened to the missing Persian scouting group?
10. What is the initial reaction to the Persian Ambassador when he comes into camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The bravery of the Spartans is seen from the very beginning of the battle with the Persians.
Part 1: How do you think the bronze armor helped the bravery of the Spartans?
Part 2: Do you think that all of Leonidas' army is as brave as he thinks they are? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might make a soldier true to his army? What makes a soldier brave enough to fight?
Essay Topic 2
Leonidas notes that that excessive pride of Xerxes is what is getting him in trouble with others.
Part 1: Why might pride be a bad thing to have when you are a leader of others?
Part 2: Why does Leonidas see pride as a character flaw in Xerxes?
Part 3: Don't you think Leonidas has a lot of pride too? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ephialtes really wants to fight for Sparta, but his physical deformity prevents him from impressing Leonidas.
Part 1: What is the role of Ephialtes in the story? Why is his character so important?
Part 2: What might have happened had Leonidas allowed him to be on the army?
Part 3: Why do you think Ephialtes wanted to fight with Leonidas?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)