|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leonidas declines the offer from Persia, realizing his last stand efforts will make him eternally ____________.
2. As a result of his deformity, Ephialtes, Leonidas tells him he can not be a part of the ___________.
3. Where were the forces of Daxos hiding from the Persian army?
4. What does Ephialtes do when he hears he cannot be a part of the Spartan resistance?
5. Xerxes wants to raise an army to smash _________ as well.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Persian representative that come into camp as the Spartans begin to ready for a major battle?
2. Why wasn't Ephialtes left to die of exposure in the fields in Sparta like other deformed children?
3. What is the hoplite phalanx formation that the Spartans use and what happens when it is used in battle?
4. What tale does Dilios tell as the Persian Ambassador visits the Spartan camp?
5. What is the advantage of fighting at the Hot Gates for the Spartans or for any army that uses this location?
6. Why doesn't Leonidas accept Ephialtes as a soldier in the Spartan army when he asks to be a part of the march?
7. What happens when the Persian Ambassador decides to lash Dilios?
8. Where do the Spartan defensive tactics center (location-wise) in the beginning of this chapter?
9. Describe the appearance of the Hot Gates where the Spartans are fighting.
10. What is the Persian Ambassador worried about when he approaches camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ephialtes really wants to fight for Sparta, but his physical deformity prevents him from impressing Leonidas.
Part 1: What is the role of Ephialtes in the story? Why is his character so important?
Part 2: What might have happened had Leonidas allowed him to be on the army?
Part 3: Why do you think Ephialtes wanted to fight with Leonidas?
Essay Topic 2
The ephors are meant to help Spartans as they continue battle with other nations.
Part 1: Why doesn't Leonidas trust the advice of the ephors?
Part 2: Why would people turn to oracles and ephors for advice instead of following their own instincts?
Part 3: Would you be able to go to an oracle for advice? Why or why not? What might you ask if they could be trusted?
Essay Topic 3
In order to be a great leader of an army, it seems you need to have a bit of arrogance as well as intelligence.
Part 1: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance help him?
Part 2: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance hurt him in battle?
Part 3: Does arrogance seem to be a positive or a negative quality for a leader? Why do you choose the answer you do?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)