|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wishes to have an audience with Leonidas after the fighting during the day?
2. What does Leonidas order the Spartans to use as their formation when he begins to realize the power of the animals?
3. What is the Persian visitor traveling on as they enter into the Greek camp?
4. What does Ephialtes reveal to Leonidas as a way to circumvent the Hot Gates?
5. Xerxes wants to raise an army to smash _________ as well.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leonidas see as a major flaw in King Xerxes?
2. Who is the Persian representative that come into camp as the Spartans begin to ready for a major battle?
3. What is shown in the graphics to represent the harsh training the soldiers undergo at camp?
4. What does Leonidas do in order to restore the honor of Stelios before the other men?
5. What is the Persian Ambassador worried about when he approaches camp?
6. What does King Xerxes offer to Leonidas when he comes into the camp the evening after battle?
7. After the initial assault of the Persians is defeated, what do the Persians do next to the Spartans?
8. What is the advantage of fighting at the Hot Gates for the Spartans or for any army that uses this location?
9. Describe the appearance of the Hot Gates where the Spartans are fighting.
10. What has Ephialtes taken from his father and brought with him as he sought the Spartan forces?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ephors are meant to help Spartans as they continue battle with other nations.
Part 1: Why doesn't Leonidas trust the advice of the ephors?
Part 2: Why would people turn to oracles and ephors for advice instead of following their own instincts?
Part 3: Would you be able to go to an oracle for advice? Why or why not? What might you ask if they could be trusted?
Essay Topic 2
Leonidas notes that that excessive pride of Xerxes is what is getting him in trouble with others.
Part 1: Why might pride be a bad thing to have when you are a leader of others?
Part 2: Why does Leonidas see pride as a character flaw in Xerxes?
Part 3: Don't you think Leonidas has a lot of pride too? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In order to be a great leader of an army, it seems you need to have a bit of arrogance as well as intelligence.
Part 1: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance help him?
Part 2: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance hurt him in battle?
Part 3: Does arrogance seem to be a positive or a negative quality for a leader? Why do you choose the answer you do?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)