|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Greek formation requires that the soldiers hold their bodies in a certain formation?
2. What does Ephialtes reveal to Leonidas as a way to circumvent the Hot Gates?
3. What is Ephialtes not able to raise to the proper height, as seen in his demonstration of his fighting ability?
4. Spartan infants who show any ____________ are generally left to die.
5. Which force has been in hiding and is sprung as the second trap against the Persian special army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of armor and weaponry do the Persians have during battle?
2. Why wasn't Ephialtes left to die of exposure in the fields in Sparta like other deformed children?
3. Where do the Spartan defensive tactics center (location-wise) in the beginning of this chapter?
4. What is the hoplite phalanx formation that the Spartans use and what happens when it is used in battle?
5. What formation does Leonidas command once he realizes the camels might prove problematic in battle?
6. What has Ephialtes taken from his father and brought with him as he sought the Spartan forces?
7. What happens when the Persian Ambassador decides to lash Dilios?
8. What tale does Dilios tell as the Persian Ambassador visits the Spartan camp?
9. What has happened to the missing Persian scouting group?
10. What is the Persian Ambassador worried about when he approaches camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ephialtes offers up his services in exchange for worldly things - women, land, wealth, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think Ephialtes decided to offer himself to the Persian side of the war?
Part 2: Why do you think the Persian king decided to take Ephialtes up on his offer?
Part 3: Who do you think was manipulating whom in the agreement between Ephialtes and the Persian king? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Though Leonidas and his army die at the hands of the Persians, all does not seem to be lost.
Part 1: Why does Leonidas go into a battle he knows he will lose?
Part 2: Why doesn't Leonidas' army desert him and run away from the Persian army?
Part 3: Why is the defeat of Leonidas such an inspiring story?
Essay Topic 3
In order to be a great leader of an army, it seems you need to have a bit of arrogance as well as intelligence.
Part 1: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance help him?
Part 2: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance hurt him in battle?
Part 3: Does arrogance seem to be a positive or a negative quality for a leader? Why do you choose the answer you do?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)