|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ephialtes reveals that his father taught him to fight like a _____________.
2. The Spartans only need to defend a narrow strip of ______________ against the Persian attack when they are at the Hot Gates.
3. What does the Spartan soldier do to the Persian ambassador in response to his actions?
4. The Spartans are stacking up a large __________ of Persians even before the main battle begins.
5. Ephialtes is still angered by Leonidas' absolute ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to the missing Persian scouting group?
2. What does Leonidas do in order to restore the honor of Stelios before the other men?
3. What happens when the Persian Ambassador decides to lash Dilios?
4. Who is the Persian representative that come into camp as the Spartans begin to ready for a major battle?
5. What is the advantage of fighting at the Hot Gates for the Spartans or for any army that uses this location?
6. What does King Xerxes offer to Leonidas when he comes into the camp the evening after battle?
7. After the initial assault of the Persians is defeated, what do the Persians do next to the Spartans?
8. Describe the appearance of the Hot Gates where the Spartans are fighting.
9. What does the Persian Ambassador do, even after his significant injury?
10. What do the Spartans do with the Persian corpses from their battle in order to intimidate others, it seems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The strategy with which Leonidas fights the battle is impressive. He continues to shift strategies until he finds one that works for the situation.
Part 1: Which strategy was the most impressive to you as a reader? Why?
Part 2: Do you think Leonidas should have done anything different? What?
Part 3: Do you think the strategies might work in today's modern warfare battles? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Some of the people in the Persian army are driven ahead, only by the lashes of a whip.
Part 1: Do you think pain or fear of pain is a good enough reason to fight well for an army?
Part 2: What are some other ways that the soldiers in the Persian army could have been motivated?
Part 3: Why do you think the soldiers lashed the soldiers during the battle?
Essay Topic 3
Ephialtes offers up his services in exchange for worldly things - women, land, wealth, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think Ephialtes decided to offer himself to the Persian side of the war?
Part 2: Why do you think the Persian king decided to take Ephialtes up on his offer?
Part 3: Who do you think was manipulating whom in the agreement between Ephialtes and the Persian king? Why?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)