|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Hot Gates are a part of a massive cliff ______________ that blocks the path for many miles.
2. Where are the Spartan defensive tactics centering on at the start of this chapter?
3. What does Ephialtes do when he hears he cannot be a part of the Spartan resistance?
4. Who responds by hurting the Persian ambassador for trying to lash one of the army members?
5. What do the Persian army men wear on their heads as a part of their military uniforms?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does King Xerxes offer to Leonidas when he comes into the camp the evening after battle?
2. Why wasn't Ephialtes left to die of exposure in the fields in Sparta like other deformed children?
3. What has happened to the missing Persian scouting group?
4. What is shown in the graphics to represent the harsh training the soldiers undergo at camp?
5. What has Ephialtes taken from his father and brought with him as he sought the Spartan forces?
6. What does Leonidas see as a major flaw in King Xerxes?
7. What tale does Dilios tell as the Persian Ambassador visits the Spartan camp?
8. What ensures no man in the Spartan army will falter or flee, according to the story?
9. What happens when the Persian Ambassador decides to lash Dilios?
10. What is the hoplite phalanx formation that the Spartans use and what happens when it is used in battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ephialtes offers up his services in exchange for worldly things - women, land, wealth, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think Ephialtes decided to offer himself to the Persian side of the war?
Part 2: Why do you think the Persian king decided to take Ephialtes up on his offer?
Part 3: Who do you think was manipulating whom in the agreement between Ephialtes and the Persian king? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The ambassador from Persia tries to get the Spartans to surrender before the battle even begins, and loses an arm at the same time.
Part 1: What would be the value of surrendering for the Spartan army? How would the Persians benefit?
Part 2: Do you think the Persian army believes the Spartans had any possibility of surrendering? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it would have been a better idea for the Spartans to have surrendered? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In order to be a great leader of an army, it seems you need to have a bit of arrogance as well as intelligence.
Part 1: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance help him?
Part 2: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance hurt him in battle?
Part 3: Does arrogance seem to be a positive or a negative quality for a leader? Why do you choose the answer you do?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)