|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes the foremost point of the triangle in the new formation the Spartans take against the Persians?
2. What is Ephialtes not able to raise to the proper height, as seen in his demonstration of his fighting ability?
3. What does the second wave of the Persians come to the Spartans on?
4. When he arrives at the Spartan camp, Ephialtes has his ____________ clothing, armor, and weaponry.
5. Xerxes wants to raise an army to smash _________ as well.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The armies both want to intimidate the other army in order to get the upper hand in the battle.
Part 1: How much of a battle do you think is mental? How much is physical?
Part 2: Is it more important for any army to have mental toughness or physical toughness? Why?
Part 3: What does intimidation do to the opposing army who is being intimidated? What does the intimidation do for the army who is doing the intimidating?
Essay Topic 2
Though Leonidas and his army die at the hands of the Persians, all does not seem to be lost.
Part 1: Why does Leonidas go into a battle he knows he will lose?
Part 2: Why doesn't Leonidas' army desert him and run away from the Persian army?
Part 3: Why is the defeat of Leonidas such an inspiring story?
Essay Topic 3
The ephors are meant to help Spartans as they continue battle with other nations.
Part 1: Why doesn't Leonidas trust the advice of the ephors?
Part 2: Why would people turn to oracles and ephors for advice instead of following their own instincts?
Part 3: Would you be able to go to an oracle for advice? Why or why not? What might you ask if they could be trusted?
This section contains 1,592 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)