|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leonidas see as a major flaw in the Persian king?
2. The others in the army view Ephialtes' appearance with _________________ as he hulks over to see them.
3. What is the second wave of Persian soldiers surrounded by as they come to attack the Spartans?
4. What is the Persian visitor traveling on as they enter into the Greek camp?
5. Where are the babies left to die when they are seen to have troubles, like those in the answer to #89?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the people in the Persian army are driven ahead, only by the lashes of a whip.
Part 1: Do you think pain or fear of pain is a good enough reason to fight well for an army?
Part 2: What are some other ways that the soldiers in the Persian army could have been motivated?
Part 3: Why do you think the soldiers lashed the soldiers during the battle?
Essay Topic 2
The observance of a religious festival seems to be something Sparta is told to respect again and again, even on the battlefield.
Part 1: Why is the observance of Carneia so important?
Part 2: Why doesn't Leonidas want to follow the religious observance as dictated by the ephors and the oracle?
Part 3: Why might Leonidas be so determined to fight regardless of the religious observance?
Essay Topic 3
The question of whether Leonidas has another soldiers is one that comes up again and again.
Part 1: How many soldiers do you think will be enough for Leonidas to have? Why?
Part 2: Is it better to have more soldiers or higher quality soldiers in lesser numbers? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think Leonidas wanted to pick his own soldiers one by one?
This section contains 1,598 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)