|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the character who spins the stories for the men as they are at their camps?
2. What do the soldiers see driven to the shore? Elements of the ______________.
3. The oracle announces that Sparta will ________________.
4. The men are wearing heavy __________ helmets as they are marching to meet their enemy.
5. How many soldiers are thought to be in the area when the final Greek attachments join Leonidas and Daxos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the reasons why Leonidas refuses to send the sign of subjugation to the Persian king?
2. Why does Dilios tell stories to the soldiers as they are preparing for battle?
3. What does Leonidas suggest to the ephors that the Spartan army does when they fight the Persians?
4. Why does Leonidas believe he brought more soldiers than anyone, even though Daxos' group is larger?
5. What do the other Greek commanders do when they join up with Leonidas and his soldiers?
6. What do the Greeks exult over when they reach the Hot Gates during the violent storm?
7. What does the Persian envoy tell Leonidas to send to the Persian king as a sign of subjugation?
8. What does King Leonidas order Stelios to do with the captain that has been beaten senselessly?
9. What kinds of weapons are the soldiers carrying as they march to battle at the start of this novel?
10. Describe the oracle that Leonidas next confers with after talking with the ephors.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ambassador from Persia tries to get the Spartans to surrender before the battle even begins, and loses an arm at the same time.
Part 1: What would be the value of surrendering for the Spartan army? How would the Persians benefit?
Part 2: Do you think the Persian army believes the Spartans had any possibility of surrendering? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it would have been a better idea for the Spartans to have surrendered? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ephialtes offers up his services in exchange for worldly things - women, land, wealth, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think Ephialtes decided to offer himself to the Persian side of the war?
Part 2: Why do you think the Persian king decided to take Ephialtes up on his offer?
Part 3: Who do you think was manipulating whom in the agreement between Ephialtes and the Persian king? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In some respects, it seems like Leonidas (at the start of the story) is more of a follower than a leader.
Part 1: Why doesn't Leonidas make up his own mind when it comes to the Persian envoy's demands of him?
Part 2: What might have happened if Leonidas has simply agreed to the demands of the Persian envoy?
Part 3: Do you think the Persian envoy was trying to manipulate Leonidas? Why or why not? If so, how?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)