|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leonidas believe his army can beat the Persians with an intelligent selection of ___________.
2. Who leads the force of Arcadian Greeks that Leonidas encounters on his way to battle?
3. The ___________ King is in command of all of the soldiers who have finally arrived at the Hot Gates.
4. What does the boy lead the stalking animal into that proves to be the demise of the animal?
5. How many soldiers are thought to be in the area when the final Greek attachments join Leonidas and Daxos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the reasons why Leonidas refuses to send the sign of subjugation to the Persian king?
2. What does Leonidas suggest to the ephors that the Spartan army does when they fight the Persians?
3. Why do the ephors object to the plans of Leonidas when he comes to visit them?
4. Why does Dilios tell stories to the soldiers as they are preparing for battle?
5. What does King Leonidas order Stelios to do with the captain that has been beaten senselessly?
6. What does Leonidas think about the ephors and their ruling about whether the Spartans can fight?
7. Where are the soldiers in the beginning of this novel marching to and from as they head into battle, it seems?
8. What does the Persian envoy tell Leonidas to send to the Persian king as a sign of subjugation?
9. Describe the oracle that Leonidas next confers with after talking with the ephors.
10. Describe the weather conditions for the soldiers as they have marched during the beginning of this story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In order to be a great leader of an army, it seems you need to have a bit of arrogance as well as intelligence.
Part 1: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance help him?
Part 2: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance hurt him in battle?
Part 3: Does arrogance seem to be a positive or a negative quality for a leader? Why do you choose the answer you do?
Essay Topic 2
The armies both want to intimidate the other army in order to get the upper hand in the battle.
Part 1: How much of a battle do you think is mental? How much is physical?
Part 2: Is it more important for any army to have mental toughness or physical toughness? Why?
Part 3: What does intimidation do to the opposing army who is being intimidated? What does the intimidation do for the army who is doing the intimidating?
Essay Topic 3
The bravery of the Spartans is seen from the very beginning of the battle with the Persians.
Part 1: How do you think the bronze armor helped the bravery of the Spartans?
Part 2: Do you think that all of Leonidas' army is as brave as he thinks they are? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might make a soldier true to his army? What makes a soldier brave enough to fight?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)