|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The boy is expected to ____________ for a period of time without supplies or equipment.
2. What does the king tell the men they will go without because of the incident with the captain and the beating?
3. What begins to turn into a violent storm the closer they move toward the Hot Gates?
4. When Leonidas announces he is going for a walk, in what direction does he say he will travel?
5. What is the response of the ephors to the plans of Leonidas when he meets with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the other Greek commanders do when they join up with Leonidas and his soldiers?
2. What does Leonidas suggest to the ephors that the Spartan army does when they fight the Persians?
3. What is one of the reasons why Leonidas refuses to send the sign of subjugation to the Persian king?
4. What is the object of the march of the soldiers in the beginning of this manuscript?
5. Describe the oracle that Leonidas next confers with after talking with the ephors.
6. Why does Dilios tell stories to the soldiers as they are preparing for battle?
7. What happens to Stelios as he marches in the weather at the beginning of the novel?
8. What does the Queen instruct Leonidas to come back doing as he marches off without explaining where he is going?
9. What kinds of weapons are the soldiers carrying as they march to battle at the start of this novel?
10. Why is Daxos disappointed with Leonidas when he sees him marching toward his own group of troops?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dilios likes to tells stories in this book, helping to inspire the soldiers and to teach them about their own powers, it seems.
Part 1: Why is the character of Dilios important to the story? What does he provide?
Part 2: If the character of Dilios were not included in this story, what might be different in the story?
Part 3: Who might be seen as a modern day Dilios character in the world or in another book? Why did you choose this person?
Essay Topic 2
Some of the people in the Persian army are driven ahead, only by the lashes of a whip.
Part 1: Do you think pain or fear of pain is a good enough reason to fight well for an army?
Part 2: What are some other ways that the soldiers in the Persian army could have been motivated?
Part 3: Why do you think the soldiers lashed the soldiers during the battle?
Essay Topic 3
The strategy with which Leonidas fights the battle is impressive. He continues to shift strategies until he finds one that works for the situation.
Part 1: Which strategy was the most impressive to you as a reader? Why?
Part 2: Do you think Leonidas should have done anything different? What?
Part 3: Do you think the strategies might work in today's modern warfare battles? Why or why not?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)