|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Leonidas objects to the ruling of the ephors, who is he told to see next?
2. What is the response of the ephors to the plans of Leonidas when he meets with them?
3. Leonidas believe his army can beat the Persians with an intelligent selection of ___________.
4. What are the loin straps made out of in the soldiers' uniforms as they march?
5. What do the Greeks exult over when they look out to the sea as they wait for battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the other Greek commanders do when they join up with Leonidas and his soldiers?
2. What does King Leonidas order Stelios to do with the captain that has been beaten senselessly?
3. What happens to Stelios as he marches in the weather at the beginning of the novel?
4. What does Leonidas suggest to the ephors that the Spartan army does when they fight the Persians?
5. Why does Dilios tell stories to the soldiers as they are preparing for battle?
6. Why does Leonidas believe he brought more soldiers than anyone, even though Daxos' group is larger?
7. Why do the ephors object to the plans of Leonidas when he comes to visit them?
8. What do the Greeks exult over when they reach the Hot Gates during the violent storm?
9. What does the Queen instruct Leonidas to come back doing as he marches off without explaining where he is going?
10. What does the Persian envoy tell Leonidas to send to the Persian king as a sign of subjugation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The physical training Leonidas asks of his soldiers is intense, but necessary in order to fight well on the battlefield.
Part 1: Why do you think Leonidas values this intense training?
Part 2: Why haven't the soldiers been put into this intense training until just before the battle?
Part 3: If the soldiers Leonidas picked were already professional soldiers, why do they need more training?
Essay Topic 2
Leonidas notes that that excessive pride of Xerxes is what is getting him in trouble with others.
Part 1: Why might pride be a bad thing to have when you are a leader of others?
Part 2: Why does Leonidas see pride as a character flaw in Xerxes?
Part 3: Don't you think Leonidas has a lot of pride too? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In order to be a great leader of an army, it seems you need to have a bit of arrogance as well as intelligence.
Part 1: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance help him?
Part 2: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance hurt him in battle?
Part 3: Does arrogance seem to be a positive or a negative quality for a leader? Why do you choose the answer you do?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)