|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the soldiers see driven to the shore? Elements of the ______________.
2. What does the person to speak with the ephors offer to them for their treason?
3. The young boy in the story leaves ______________ in order to travel to the wilderness to prove himself.
4. The ___________ King is in command of all of the soldiers who have finally arrived at the Hot Gates.
5. The oracle also states that no Spartan army will ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the area in which the ephors live during this second chapter of the book.
2. What does the Persian envoy tell Leonidas to send to the Persian king as a sign of subjugation?
3. What kind of instrument is being played by a man at the beginning of the troops?
4. What kinds of weapons are the soldiers carrying as they march to battle at the start of this novel?
5. Describe the weather conditions for the soldiers as they have marched during the beginning of this story.
6. Why does Leonidas believe he brought more soldiers than anyone, even though Daxos' group is larger?
7. What do the soldiers in the beginning of the novel wear as they match to battle?
8. Describe the oracle that Leonidas next confers with after talking with the ephors.
9. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
10. What do the Greeks exult over when they reach the Hot Gates during the violent storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leonidas goes through a sort of rite of passage by killing a huge wolf at the beginning of the timeline of this story.
Part 1: Describe the story of Leonidas and the wolf. What happens?
Part 2: What does the wolf symbolize in the story of Leonidas and the wolf?
Part 3: What might have happened had Leonidas never encountered the wolf as described in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Some of the people in the Persian army are driven ahead, only by the lashes of a whip.
Part 1: Do you think pain or fear of pain is a good enough reason to fight well for an army?
Part 2: What are some other ways that the soldiers in the Persian army could have been motivated?
Part 3: Why do you think the soldiers lashed the soldiers during the battle?
Essay Topic 3
Though Leonidas and his army die at the hands of the Persians, all does not seem to be lost.
Part 1: Why does Leonidas go into a battle he knows he will lose?
Part 2: Why doesn't Leonidas' army desert him and run away from the Persian army?
Part 3: Why is the defeat of Leonidas such an inspiring story?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)