Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The messenger asked that Leonidas send a ________ of earth and a jar of water to the King of Persia.
2. How long ago was the meeting with the ephors and the oracle?
3. Leonidas has to talk to the ephors before a wide scale military expedition, according to _________ law.
4. The remainder of the Persian envoy's entourage is then ___________ at Leonidas' orders.
5. The ___________ King is in command of all of the soldiers who have finally arrived at the Hot Gates.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Persian Ambassador worried about when he approaches camp?
2. What is the object of the march of the soldiers in the beginning of this manuscript?
3. What does the Persian Ambassador do, even after his significant injury?
4. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
5. What kinds of armor and weaponry do the Persians have during battle?
6. Why wasn't Ephialtes left to die of exposure in the fields in Sparta like other deformed children?
7. Describe the oracle that Leonidas next confers with after talking with the ephors.
8. What do the Spartans do with the Persian corpses from their battle in order to intimidate others, it seems?
9. After the initial assault of the Persians is defeated, what do the Persians do next to the Spartans?
10. What is the initial reaction to the Persian Ambassador when he comes into camp?
Essay Topic 1
Some of the people in the Persian army are driven ahead, only by the lashes of a whip.
Part 1: Do you think pain or fear of pain is a good enough reason to fight well for an army?
Part 2: What are some other ways that the soldiers in the Persian army could have been motivated?
Part 3: Why do you think the soldiers lashed the soldiers during the battle?
Essay Topic 2
The strategy with which Leonidas fights the battle is impressive. He continues to shift strategies until he finds one that works for the situation.
Part 1: Which strategy was the most impressive to you as a reader? Why?
Part 2: Do you think Leonidas should have done anything different? What?
Part 3: Do you think the strategies might work in today's modern warfare battles? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The ambassador from Persia tries to get the Spartans to surrender before the battle even begins, and loses an arm at the same time.
Part 1: What would be the value of surrendering for the Spartan army? How would the Persians benefit?
Part 2: Do you think the Persian army believes the Spartans had any possibility of surrendering? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it would have been a better idea for the Spartans to have surrendered? Why or why not?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)