|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the king tell the men they will go without because of the incident with the captain and the beating?
2. The ___________ King is in command of all of the soldiers who have finally arrived at the Hot Gates.
3. What would the earth and the water have shown to the King of Persian had Leonidas sent them?
4. What does the boy lead the stalking animal into that proves to be the demise of the animal?
5. How many years have passed since the story of the boy and the animal has taken place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the other Greek commanders do when they join up with Leonidas and his soldiers?
2. What does Leonidas think about the ephors and their ruling about whether the Spartans can fight?
3. What happens to Stelios as he marches in the weather at the beginning of the novel?
4. What is one of the reasons why Leonidas refuses to send the sign of subjugation to the Persian king?
5. Describe the area in which the ephors live during this second chapter of the book.
6. What kind of instrument is being played by a man at the beginning of the troops?
7. Why does Leonidas believe he brought more soldiers than anyone, even though Daxos' group is larger?
8. What kinds of weapons are the soldiers carrying as they march to battle at the start of this novel?
9. What do the soldiers in the beginning of the novel wear as they match to battle?
10. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ephors are meant to help Spartans as they continue battle with other nations.
Part 1: Why doesn't Leonidas trust the advice of the ephors?
Part 2: Why would people turn to oracles and ephors for advice instead of following their own instincts?
Part 3: Would you be able to go to an oracle for advice? Why or why not? What might you ask if they could be trusted?
Essay Topic 2
In order to be a great leader of an army, it seems you need to have a bit of arrogance as well as intelligence.
Part 1: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance help him?
Part 2: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance hurt him in battle?
Part 3: Does arrogance seem to be a positive or a negative quality for a leader? Why do you choose the answer you do?
Essay Topic 3
The terrain itself in the story seems to be a character in and of itself. From the narrow ledges to the creative names, it too seems to have a place in the story.
Part 1: Which part of the terrain do you think was most important to the story? Why?
Part 2: What do the names of the lands seem to say about the land as a whole or about the battle taking place?
Part 3: If the land were to be more generic, how might this have affected the story as a whole?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)