|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What begins to turn into a violent storm the closer they move toward the Hot Gates?
2. What is the name of the Persian King who asks Leonidas for his surrender?
3. What does the boy fashion as he is out on his quest?
4. The oracle announces that Sparta will ________________.
5. What does Leonidas have to donate before he can see the ephors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of instrument is being played by a man at the beginning of the troops?
2. What does the Queen instruct Leonidas to come back doing as he marches off without explaining where he is going?
3. What is the path of the combined forces of Leonidas and the others who meet up with him?
4. What kinds of weapons are the soldiers carrying as they march to battle at the start of this novel?
5. Why do the ephors object to the plans of Leonidas when he comes to visit them?
6. What is one of the reasons why Leonidas refuses to send the sign of subjugation to the Persian king?
7. What does King Leonidas order Stelios to do with the captain that has been beaten senselessly?
8. What does Leonidas think about the ephors and their ruling about whether the Spartans can fight?
9. Describe the area in which the ephors live during this second chapter of the book.
10. What does the Persian envoy tell Leonidas to send to the Persian king as a sign of subjugation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ephialtes offers up his services in exchange for worldly things - women, land, wealth, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think Ephialtes decided to offer himself to the Persian side of the war?
Part 2: Why do you think the Persian king decided to take Ephialtes up on his offer?
Part 3: Who do you think was manipulating whom in the agreement between Ephialtes and the Persian king? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The ambassador from Persia tries to get the Spartans to surrender before the battle even begins, and loses an arm at the same time.
Part 1: What would be the value of surrendering for the Spartan army? How would the Persians benefit?
Part 2: Do you think the Persian army believes the Spartans had any possibility of surrendering? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it would have been a better idea for the Spartans to have surrendered? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The ephors are meant to help Spartans as they continue battle with other nations.
Part 1: Why doesn't Leonidas trust the advice of the ephors?
Part 2: Why would people turn to oracles and ephors for advice instead of following their own instincts?
Part 3: Would you be able to go to an oracle for advice? Why or why not? What might you ask if they could be trusted?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)