|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Persian King who asks Leonidas for his surrender?
2. Leonidas has to talk to the ephors before a wide scale military expedition, according to _________ law.
3. What is the response of the ephors to the plans of Leonidas when he meets with them?
4. Leonidas believes he has brought more ____________ than anyone else.
5. Where does Leonidas want to meet with the Persian army in an effort to beat them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Queen instruct Leonidas to come back doing as he marches off without explaining where he is going?
2. What kinds of weapons are the soldiers carrying as they march to battle at the start of this novel?
3. What kind of instrument is being played by a man at the beginning of the troops?
4. What does Leonidas think about the ephors and their ruling about whether the Spartans can fight?
5. What happens to Stelios as he marches in the weather at the beginning of the novel?
6. What do the Greeks exult over when they reach the Hot Gates during the violent storm?
7. Describe the weather conditions for the soldiers as they have marched during the beginning of this story.
8. What does the Persian envoy tell Leonidas to send to the Persian king as a sign of subjugation?
9. Where are the soldiers in the beginning of this novel marching to and from as they head into battle, it seems?
10. Why do the ephors object to the plans of Leonidas when he comes to visit them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The observance of a religious festival seems to be something Sparta is told to respect again and again, even on the battlefield.
Part 1: Why is the observance of Carneia so important?
Part 2: Why doesn't Leonidas want to follow the religious observance as dictated by the ephors and the oracle?
Part 3: Why might Leonidas be so determined to fight regardless of the religious observance?
Essay Topic 2
Ephialtes offers up his services in exchange for worldly things - women, land, wealth, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think Ephialtes decided to offer himself to the Persian side of the war?
Part 2: Why do you think the Persian king decided to take Ephialtes up on his offer?
Part 3: Who do you think was manipulating whom in the agreement between Ephialtes and the Persian king? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In order to be a great leader of an army, it seems you need to have a bit of arrogance as well as intelligence.
Part 1: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance help him?
Part 2: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance hurt him in battle?
Part 3: Does arrogance seem to be a positive or a negative quality for a leader? Why do you choose the answer you do?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)