Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The messenger asked that Leonidas send a ________ of earth and a jar of water to the King of Persia.
2. How long ago was the meeting with the ephors and the oracle?
3. Leonidas has to talk to the ephors before a wide scale military expedition, according to _________ law.
4. The remainder of the Persian envoy's entourage is then ___________ at Leonidas' orders.
5. The ___________ King is in command of all of the soldiers who have finally arrived at the Hot Gates.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Persian Ambassador worried about when he approaches camp?
2. What is the object of the march of the soldiers in the beginning of this manuscript?
3. What does the Persian Ambassador do, even after his significant injury?
4. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
5. What kinds of armor and weaponry do the Persians have during battle?
6. Why wasn't Ephialtes left to die of exposure in the fields in Sparta like other deformed children?
7. Describe the oracle that Leonidas next confers with after talking with the ephors.
8. What do the Spartans do with the Persian corpses from their battle in order to intimidate others, it seems?
9. After the initial assault of the Persians is defeated, what do the Persians do next to the Spartans?
10. What is the initial reaction to the Persian Ambassador when he comes into camp?
The theme of war is one that pervades this story, though it seems at times to take over the minds of men and make them do things that they might not have normally done.
Part 1: Why do you think Persia and Sparta are at war with each other?
Part 2: Do you think Persia and Sparta could ever stop being at war and come to a truce? Why or why not?
Part 3: How does the war between Persia and Sparta compare with modern day wars? How is it similar and how is it different?
The physical training Leonidas asks of his soldiers is intense, but necessary in order to fight well on the battlefield.
Part 1: Why do you think Leonidas values this intense training?
Part 2: Why haven't the soldiers been put into this intense training until just before the battle?
Part 3: If the soldiers Leonidas picked were already professional soldiers, why do they need more training?
Leonidas notes that that excessive pride of Xerxes is what is getting him in trouble with others.
Part 1: Why might pride be a bad thing to have when you are a leader of others?
Part 2: Why does Leonidas see pride as a character flaw in Xerxes?
Part 3: Don't you think Leonidas has a lot of pride too? Why or why not?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)