|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the soldier who falls over because of the heat of the day?
2. The men are also carrying large circular __________ as they march to meet their enemy.
3. Who leads the force of Arcadian Greeks that Leonidas encounters on his way to battle?
4. How many warriors is Leonidas going to be joined by on his walk away from his home?
5. What does the place where the ephors live emit from the rocks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the path of the combined forces of Leonidas and the others who meet up with him?
2. What is one of the reasons why Leonidas refuses to send the sign of subjugation to the Persian king?
3. What do the soldiers in the beginning of the novel wear as they match to battle?
4. What do the Greeks exult over when they reach the Hot Gates during the violent storm?
5. Describe the weather conditions for the soldiers as they have marched during the beginning of this story.
6. Why is Daxos disappointed with Leonidas when he sees him marching toward his own group of troops?
7. Why do the ephors object to the plans of Leonidas when he comes to visit them?
8. For how long have the soldiers at the start of this novel been marching?
9. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
10. What is the object of the march of the soldiers in the beginning of this manuscript?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leonidas notes that that excessive pride of Xerxes is what is getting him in trouble with others.
Part 1: Why might pride be a bad thing to have when you are a leader of others?
Part 2: Why does Leonidas see pride as a character flaw in Xerxes?
Part 3: Don't you think Leonidas has a lot of pride too? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Though Leonidas and his army die at the hands of the Persians, all does not seem to be lost.
Part 1: Why does Leonidas go into a battle he knows he will lose?
Part 2: Why doesn't Leonidas' army desert him and run away from the Persian army?
Part 3: Why is the defeat of Leonidas such an inspiring story?
Essay Topic 3
Ephialtes really wants to fight for Sparta, but his physical deformity prevents him from impressing Leonidas.
Part 1: What is the role of Ephialtes in the story? Why is his character so important?
Part 2: What might have happened had Leonidas allowed him to be on the army?
Part 3: Why do you think Ephialtes wanted to fight with Leonidas?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)