|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the year in the only dates frame in this first chapter?
2. What is the color of the cloaks of the men in the army marching at the beginning of this novel?
3. Where does Leonidas want to meet with the Persian army in an effort to beat them?
4. What is the response of the ephors to the plans of Leonidas when he meets with them?
5. Who is the character who spins the stories for the men as they are at their camps?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dilios tell stories to the soldiers as they are preparing for battle?
2. For how long have the soldiers at the start of this novel been marching?
3. What does Leonidas think about the ephors and their ruling about whether the Spartans can fight?
4. What is the object of the march of the soldiers in the beginning of this manuscript?
5. What does King Leonidas order Stelios to do with the captain that has been beaten senselessly?
6. Describe the weather conditions for the soldiers as they have marched during the beginning of this story.
7. Why does Leonidas believe he brought more soldiers than anyone, even though Daxos' group is larger?
8. What kind of instrument is being played by a man at the beginning of the troops?
9. Why do the ephors object to the plans of Leonidas when he comes to visit them?
10. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The bravery of the Spartans is seen from the very beginning of the battle with the Persians.
Part 1: How do you think the bronze armor helped the bravery of the Spartans?
Part 2: Do you think that all of Leonidas' army is as brave as he thinks they are? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might make a soldier true to his army? What makes a soldier brave enough to fight?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of war is one that pervades this story, though it seems at times to take over the minds of men and make them do things that they might not have normally done.
Part 1: Why do you think Persia and Sparta are at war with each other?
Part 2: Do you think Persia and Sparta could ever stop being at war and come to a truce? Why or why not?
Part 3: How does the war between Persia and Sparta compare with modern day wars? How is it similar and how is it different?
Essay Topic 3
In order to be a great leader of an army, it seems you need to have a bit of arrogance as well as intelligence.
Part 1: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance help him?
Part 2: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance hurt him in battle?
Part 3: Does arrogance seem to be a positive or a negative quality for a leader? Why do you choose the answer you do?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)