Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The messenger asked that Leonidas send a ________ of earth and a jar of water to the King of Persia.
2. How long ago was the meeting with the ephors and the oracle?
3. Leonidas has to talk to the ephors before a wide scale military expedition, according to _________ law.
4. The remainder of the Persian envoy's entourage is then ___________ at Leonidas' orders.
5. The ___________ King is in command of all of the soldiers who have finally arrived at the Hot Gates.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Persian Ambassador worried about when he approaches camp?
2. What is the object of the march of the soldiers in the beginning of this manuscript?
3. What does the Persian Ambassador do, even after his significant injury?
4. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
5. What kinds of armor and weaponry do the Persians have during battle?
6. Why wasn't Ephialtes left to die of exposure in the fields in Sparta like other deformed children?
7. Describe the oracle that Leonidas next confers with after talking with the ephors.
8. What do the Spartans do with the Persian corpses from their battle in order to intimidate others, it seems?
9. After the initial assault of the Persians is defeated, what do the Persians do next to the Spartans?
10. What is the initial reaction to the Persian Ambassador when he comes into camp?
The question of whether Leonidas has another soldiers is one that comes up again and again.
Part 1: How many soldiers do you think will be enough for Leonidas to have? Why?
Part 2: Is it better to have more soldiers or higher quality soldiers in lesser numbers? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think Leonidas wanted to pick his own soldiers one by one?
Ephialtes offers up his services in exchange for worldly things - women, land, wealth, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think Ephialtes decided to offer himself to the Persian side of the war?
Part 2: Why do you think the Persian king decided to take Ephialtes up on his offer?
Part 3: Who do you think was manipulating whom in the agreement between Ephialtes and the Persian king? Why?
In order to be a great leader of an army, it seems you need to have a bit of arrogance as well as intelligence.
Part 1: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance help him?
Part 2: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance hurt him in battle?
Part 3: Does arrogance seem to be a positive or a negative quality for a leader? Why do you choose the answer you do?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)