|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would the earth and the water have shown to the King of Persian had Leonidas sent them?
2. The men are also carrying large circular __________ as they march to meet their enemy.
3. What is the year in the only dates frame in this first chapter?
4. Where does Leonidas want to meet with the Persian army in an effort to beat them?
5. What kind of terrain is Leonidas leading his men over as the day continues to be hot and oppressive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of weapons are the soldiers carrying as they march to battle at the start of this novel?
2. Describe the oracle that Leonidas next confers with after talking with the ephors.
3. What do the soldiers in the beginning of the novel wear as they match to battle?
4. Describe the weather conditions for the soldiers as they have marched during the beginning of this story.
5. What is the path of the combined forces of Leonidas and the others who meet up with him?
6. What happens to Stelios as he marches in the weather at the beginning of the novel?
7. What does Leonidas suggest to the ephors that the Spartan army does when they fight the Persians?
8. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
9. What is the object of the march of the soldiers in the beginning of this manuscript?
10. What do the Greeks exult over when they reach the Hot Gates during the violent storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The observance of a religious festival seems to be something Sparta is told to respect again and again, even on the battlefield.
Part 1: Why is the observance of Carneia so important?
Part 2: Why doesn't Leonidas want to follow the religious observance as dictated by the ephors and the oracle?
Part 3: Why might Leonidas be so determined to fight regardless of the religious observance?
Essay Topic 2
The question of whether Leonidas has another soldiers is one that comes up again and again.
Part 1: How many soldiers do you think will be enough for Leonidas to have? Why?
Part 2: Is it better to have more soldiers or higher quality soldiers in lesser numbers? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think Leonidas wanted to pick his own soldiers one by one?
Essay Topic 3
Ephialtes really wants to fight for Sparta, but his physical deformity prevents him from impressing Leonidas.
Part 1: What is the role of Ephialtes in the story? Why is his character so important?
Part 2: What might have happened had Leonidas allowed him to be on the army?
Part 3: Why do you think Ephialtes wanted to fight with Leonidas?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)