Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The messenger asked that Leonidas send a ________ of earth and a jar of water to the King of Persia.
2. How long ago was the meeting with the ephors and the oracle?
3. Leonidas has to talk to the ephors before a wide scale military expedition, according to _________ law.
4. The remainder of the Persian envoy's entourage is then ___________ at Leonidas' orders.
5. The ___________ King is in command of all of the soldiers who have finally arrived at the Hot Gates.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Persian Ambassador worried about when he approaches camp?
2. What is the object of the march of the soldiers in the beginning of this manuscript?
3. What does the Persian Ambassador do, even after his significant injury?
4. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
5. What kinds of armor and weaponry do the Persians have during battle?
6. Why wasn't Ephialtes left to die of exposure in the fields in Sparta like other deformed children?
7. Describe the oracle that Leonidas next confers with after talking with the ephors.
8. What do the Spartans do with the Persian corpses from their battle in order to intimidate others, it seems?
9. After the initial assault of the Persians is defeated, what do the Persians do next to the Spartans?
10. What is the initial reaction to the Persian Ambassador when he comes into camp?
Essay Topic 1
Though Leonidas and his army die at the hands of the Persians, all does not seem to be lost.
Part 1: Why does Leonidas go into a battle he knows he will lose?
Part 2: Why doesn't Leonidas' army desert him and run away from the Persian army?
Part 3: Why is the defeat of Leonidas such an inspiring story?
Essay Topic 2
The armies both want to intimidate the other army in order to get the upper hand in the battle.
Part 1: How much of a battle do you think is mental? How much is physical?
Part 2: Is it more important for any army to have mental toughness or physical toughness? Why?
Part 3: What does intimidation do to the opposing army who is being intimidated? What does the intimidation do for the army who is doing the intimidating?
Essay Topic 3
Ephialtes really wants to fight for Sparta, but his physical deformity prevents him from impressing Leonidas.
Part 1: What is the role of Ephialtes in the story? Why is his character so important?
Part 2: What might have happened had Leonidas allowed him to be on the army?
Part 3: Why do you think Ephialtes wanted to fight with Leonidas?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)