|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The men are wearing heavy __________ helmets as they are marching to meet their enemy.
2. What is the response of the ephors to the plans of Leonidas when he meets with them?
3. Leonidas believes he has brought more ____________ than anyone else.
4. Leonidas believe his army can beat the Persians with an intelligent selection of ___________.
5. What does the boy of the story with the animal eventually become for the city of Sparta?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the weather conditions for the soldiers as they have marched during the beginning of this story.
2. Why do the ephors object to the plans of Leonidas when he comes to visit them?
3. What does King Leonidas order Stelios to do with the captain that has been beaten senselessly?
4. Why does Dilios tell stories to the soldiers as they are preparing for battle?
5. Describe the area in which the ephors live during this second chapter of the book.
6. What does Leonidas suggest to the ephors that the Spartan army does when they fight the Persians?
7. What do the Greeks exult over when they reach the Hot Gates during the violent storm?
8. What is the path of the combined forces of Leonidas and the others who meet up with him?
9. What do the soldiers in the beginning of the novel wear as they match to battle?
10. Why is Daxos disappointed with Leonidas when he sees him marching toward his own group of troops?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In some respects, it seems like Leonidas (at the start of the story) is more of a follower than a leader.
Part 1: Why doesn't Leonidas make up his own mind when it comes to the Persian envoy's demands of him?
Part 2: What might have happened if Leonidas has simply agreed to the demands of the Persian envoy?
Part 3: Do you think the Persian envoy was trying to manipulate Leonidas? Why or why not? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
In order to be a great leader of an army, it seems you need to have a bit of arrogance as well as intelligence.
Part 1: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance help him?
Part 2: In what ways does Leonidas' arrogance hurt him in battle?
Part 3: Does arrogance seem to be a positive or a negative quality for a leader? Why do you choose the answer you do?
Essay Topic 3
Ephialtes offers up his services in exchange for worldly things - women, land, wealth, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think Ephialtes decided to offer himself to the Persian side of the war?
Part 2: Why do you think the Persian king decided to take Ephialtes up on his offer?
Part 3: Who do you think was manipulating whom in the agreement between Ephialtes and the Persian king? Why?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)