|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many soldiers are rumored to be in the Persian army that Leonidas is planning on fighting?
2. What do the soldiers see driven to the shore? Elements of the ______________.
3. What would the earth and the water have shown to the King of Persian had Leonidas sent them?
4. The Queen tells Leonidas he should come back either with his ____________ or on his _____________.
5. When Leonidas announces he is going for a walk, in what direction does he say he will travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of instrument is being played by a man at the beginning of the troops?
2. What do the Greeks exult over when they reach the Hot Gates during the violent storm?
3. What does Leonidas suggest to the ephors that the Spartan army does when they fight the Persians?
4. What kinds of weapons are the soldiers carrying as they march to battle at the start of this novel?
5. Describe the area in which the ephors live during this second chapter of the book.
6. What does King Leonidas order Stelios to do with the captain that has been beaten senselessly?
7. What is the path of the combined forces of Leonidas and the others who meet up with him?
8. What is the object of the march of the soldiers in the beginning of this manuscript?
9. Describe the weather conditions for the soldiers as they have marched during the beginning of this story.
10. What is one of the reasons why Leonidas refuses to send the sign of subjugation to the Persian king?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The bravery of the Spartans is seen from the very beginning of the battle with the Persians.
Part 1: How do you think the bronze armor helped the bravery of the Spartans?
Part 2: Do you think that all of Leonidas' army is as brave as he thinks they are? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might make a soldier true to his army? What makes a soldier brave enough to fight?
Essay Topic 2
Though Leonidas and his army die at the hands of the Persians, all does not seem to be lost.
Part 1: Why does Leonidas go into a battle he knows he will lose?
Part 2: Why doesn't Leonidas' army desert him and run away from the Persian army?
Part 3: Why is the defeat of Leonidas such an inspiring story?
Essay Topic 3
Leonidas notes that that excessive pride of Xerxes is what is getting him in trouble with others.
Part 1: Why might pride be a bad thing to have when you are a leader of others?
Part 2: Why does Leonidas see pride as a character flaw in Xerxes?
Part 3: Don't you think Leonidas has a lot of pride too? Why or why not?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)