|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Leonidas want to meet with the Persian army in an effort to beat them?
2. What is the color of the cloaks of the men in the army marching at the beginning of this novel?
3. What does the boy return to Sparta wrapped in so as to show his victory?
4. What does the boy of the story with the animal eventually become for the city of Sparta?
5. What is the response of the ephors to the plans of Leonidas when he meets with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the soldiers in the beginning of the novel wear as they match to battle?
2. What kind of instrument is being played by a man at the beginning of the troops?
3. What does King Leonidas order Stelios to do with the captain that has been beaten senselessly?
4. Why does Leonidas believe he brought more soldiers than anyone, even though Daxos' group is larger?
5. Why does Dilios tell stories to the soldiers as they are preparing for battle?
6. Describe the area in which the ephors live during this second chapter of the book.
7. For how long have the soldiers at the start of this novel been marching?
8. Where are the soldiers in the beginning of this novel marching to and from as they head into battle, it seems?
9. What does Leonidas think about the ephors and their ruling about whether the Spartans can fight?
10. Describe the weather conditions for the soldiers as they have marched during the beginning of this story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the people in the Persian army are driven ahead, only by the lashes of a whip.
Part 1: Do you think pain or fear of pain is a good enough reason to fight well for an army?
Part 2: What are some other ways that the soldiers in the Persian army could have been motivated?
Part 3: Why do you think the soldiers lashed the soldiers during the battle?
Essay Topic 2
Ephialtes really wants to fight for Sparta, but his physical deformity prevents him from impressing Leonidas.
Part 1: What is the role of Ephialtes in the story? Why is his character so important?
Part 2: What might have happened had Leonidas allowed him to be on the army?
Part 3: Why do you think Ephialtes wanted to fight with Leonidas?
Essay Topic 3
Leonidas goes through a sort of rite of passage by killing a huge wolf at the beginning of the timeline of this story.
Part 1: Describe the story of Leonidas and the wolf. What happens?
Part 2: What does the wolf symbolize in the story of Leonidas and the wolf?
Part 3: What might have happened had Leonidas never encountered the wolf as described in this story?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)