|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ephialtes do when he hears he cannot be a part of the Spartan resistance?
(a) Argues with Leonidas
(c) Kills Leonidas
(d) Flings himself over the precipice
2. What does Leonidas recognize the tremors in the earth to be?
(a) Shifting soil
(b) Persian army
(d) The angry gods
3. The overlapping shields of the Spartan soldiers create a solid wall of ___________.
4. What happens when the Persian visitor first enters the camp of the Greeks?
(a) He is killed
(b) He is taken prisoner
(c) He is ignored
(d) He is lauded
5. What Greek formation requires that the soldiers hold their bodies in a certain formation?
(b) Alpha phalanx
(c) Hoplite phalanx
(d) Lambda Sigma
Short Answer Questions
1. The others in the army view Ephialtes' appearance with _________________ as he hulks over to see them.
2. Ephialtes reveals that his father taught him to fight like a _____________.
3. Who is watching from a distance and is becoming nervous that the Spartans might actually win?
4. Where are the Spartan defensive tactics centering on at the start of this chapter?
5. Xerxes orders his personal bodyguard, _______________, into combat.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the advantage of fighting at the Hot Gates for the Spartans or for any army that uses this location?
2. Why doesn't Leonidas accept Ephialtes as a soldier in the Spartan army when he asks to be a part of the march?
3. What does Leonidas do in order to restore the honor of Stelios before the other men?
4. What do the Spartans do with the Persian corpses from their battle in order to intimidate others, it seems?
5. Who is the Persian representative that come into camp as the Spartans begin to ready for a major battle?
6. What has happened to the missing Persian scouting group?
7. What is the initial reaction to the Persian Ambassador when he comes into camp?
8. What does Leonidas see as a major flaw in King Xerxes?
9. What tale does Dilios tell as the Persian Ambassador visits the Spartan camp?
10. What ensures no man in the Spartan army will falter or flee, according to the story?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)