|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he arrives at the Spartan camp, Ephialtes has his ____________ clothing, armor, and weaponry.
2. Who are standing on the backs of the soldiers as they do the intense push-ups?
(b) Persian captives
(c) No one
3. Who wishes to have an audience with Leonidas after the fighting during the day?
(d) Perisan envoy
4. What was Ephialtes thought to have died from before?
(a) Broken heart
(b) Lack of honor
(d) Leaping from the cliff
5. Who responds by hurting the Persian ambassador for trying to lash one of the army members?
Short Answer Questions
1. Spartan infants who show any ____________ are generally left to die.
2. Where are most of the Persian fighters forced to go when they are faced with the new Greek formation?
3. Xerxes orders his personal bodyguard, _______________, into combat.
4. Spartan soldiers swim and dive from a massive wall made of ____________ and Persian corpses.
5. What kind of armor do the Persian soldiers wear, rendering them vulnerable to attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leonidas see as a major flaw in King Xerxes?
2. What does the Persian Ambassador do, even after his significant injury?
3. What formation does Leonidas command once he realizes the camels might prove problematic in battle?
4. What does Ephialtes hope to gain from fighting with the Spartan army as one of the soldiers?
5. What does Leonidas do in order to restore the honor of Stelios before the other men?
6. What is the hoplite phalanx formation that the Spartans use and what happens when it is used in battle?
7. Describe the appearance of the Hot Gates where the Spartans are fighting.
8. Where do the Spartan defensive tactics center (location-wise) in the beginning of this chapter?
9. Why doesn't Leonidas accept Ephialtes as a soldier in the Spartan army when he asks to be a part of the march?
10. What does King Xerxes offer to Leonidas when he comes into the camp the evening after battle?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)