|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leonidas see as a major flaw in the Persian king?
2. The Spartans only need to defend a narrow strip of ______________ against the Persian attack when they are at the Hot Gates.
3. What do the Spartans push at the fine army from Persian, causing them to break their ranks?
(b) Their phalanx
(c) A Trojan Horse
(d) Slippery corpses
4. Who is assigned as a picket for the night after the Spartans won two decisive victories over the Persians?
5. Where are the Spartan defensive tactics centering on at the start of this chapter?
(b) Open field
(c) Goat path
(d) Hot Gates
Short Answer Questions
1. The Spartans are stacking up a large __________ of Persians even before the main battle begins.
2. Who refused to abandon Ephialtes' mother, which also helped to save him?
3. Who is doing the intense physical training depicted at the start of this chapter?
4. What is the Persian visitor worried about the disappearance of as he enters the camp?
5. Who allows Ephialtes to speak with him in private about his wishes to be a part of the Spartan army?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Leonidas accept Ephialtes as a soldier in the Spartan army when he asks to be a part of the march?
2. What does Leonidas see as a major flaw in King Xerxes?
3. What does Leonidas do in order to restore the honor of Stelios before the other men?
4. What do the Spartans do with the Persian corpses from their battle in order to intimidate others, it seems?
5. What tale does Dilios tell as the Persian Ambassador visits the Spartan camp?
6. What is the hoplite phalanx formation that the Spartans use and what happens when it is used in battle?
7. What formation does Leonidas command once he realizes the camels might prove problematic in battle?
8. Why wasn't Ephialtes left to die of exposure in the fields in Sparta like other deformed children?
9. Where do the Spartan defensive tactics center (location-wise) in the beginning of this chapter?
10. What is the initial reaction to the Persian Ambassador when he comes into camp?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)