|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how many days have the men been marching to arrive at their location?
2. When Leonidas objects to the ruling of the ephors, who is he told to see next?
3. Who is the man to which all the commanders of other armies give their power to?
4. What does the oracle inhale as she begins to talk with Leonidas about his war plans?
5. After Leonidas leaves the ephors, who emerges from the shadows to speak with the ephors?
(a) Persian infiltrator
(b) The Queen
Short Answer Questions
1. Before the armies match to Hot Gates, where do they have to pass in their march?
2. Who suggests the the King should be surrounded by bodyguards on his walk?
3. The remainder of the Persian envoy's entourage is then ___________ at Leonidas' orders.
4. What is the nickname given to the man who has fallen over because of the heat of the day?
5. What is the year in the only dates frame in this first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the weather conditions for the soldiers as they have marched during the beginning of this story.
2. What does Leonidas think about the ephors and their ruling about whether the Spartans can fight?
3. What is the path of the combined forces of Leonidas and the others who meet up with him?
4. Why does Dilios tell stories to the soldiers as they are preparing for battle?
5. Why does Leonidas believe he brought more soldiers than anyone, even though Daxos' group is larger?
6. What is the object of the march of the soldiers in the beginning of this manuscript?
7. Why is Daxos disappointed with Leonidas when he sees him marching toward his own group of troops?
8. For how long have the soldiers at the start of this novel been marching?
9. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
10. What does King Leonidas order Stelios to do with the captain that has been beaten senselessly?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)