|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leonidas muses that his distant rival, ___________, has already refused the Persian envoy's demands, so he does too.
2. What does the boy of the story with the animal eventually become for the city of Sparta?
3. The men are also carrying large circular __________ as they march to meet their enemy.
4. The Queen tells Leonidas he should come back either with his ____________ or on his _____________.
(a) Shield, sword
(b) Shield, shield
(c) Sword, shield
(d) Head, back
5. What is the year in the only dates frame in this first chapter?
(a) 420 BC
(b) 480 BC
(c) 500 BC
(d) 460 BC
Short Answer Questions
1. How many soldiers are rumored to be in the Persian army that Leonidas is planning on fighting?
2. Who orders the captain to stop the beating of the man who ended up falling down from the heat?
3. What is the important Spartan religious festival that the ephors say cannot be a time of war?
4. What begins to turn into a violent storm the closer they move toward the Hot Gates?
5. What is the name of the Persian King who asks Leonidas for his surrender?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does King Leonidas order Stelios to do with the captain that has been beaten senselessly?
2. What is one of the reasons why Leonidas refuses to send the sign of subjugation to the Persian king?
3. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
4. What happens to Stelios as he marches in the weather at the beginning of the novel?
5. What does Leonidas think about the ephors and their ruling about whether the Spartans can fight?
6. Why do the ephors object to the plans of Leonidas when he comes to visit them?
7. What kind of instrument is being played by a man at the beginning of the troops?
8. What kinds of weapons are the soldiers carrying as they march to battle at the start of this novel?
9. Why is Daxos disappointed with Leonidas when he sees him marching toward his own group of troops?
10. For how long have the soldiers at the start of this novel been marching?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)