|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the ephors that Leonidas needs to visit with actually live?
(a) Mount Olympus
(b) Craggy peak
(d) Middle of Athens
2. The Queen tells Leonidas he should come back either with his ____________ or on his _____________.
(a) Head, back
(b) Sword, shield
(c) Shield, sword
(d) Shield, shield
3. Before the armies match to Hot Gates, where do they have to pass in their march?
(a) Hell's Gate
(b) Hell's Hair
(c) Hell's Mouth
4. What is the place where the boy leads the animal called?
(a) A concave settlement
(b) The Hell's Gate
(c) The end of time
(d) A narrow wound
5. Why does the storyteller tell the rest of the men stories as they sit around at camp?
(a) To humor them
(b) To warn them
(c) To educate them
(d) To inspire them
Short Answer Questions
1. The young boy in the story leaves ______________ in order to travel to the wilderness to prove himself.
2. How long ago did Leonidas refuse the offer of the Persian envoy to surrender to them?
3. Leonidas has to talk to the ephors before a wide scale military expedition, according to _________ law.
4. What is the color of the cloaks of the men in the army marching at the beginning of this novel?
5. Who expresses dismay over how few soldiers Leonidas has brought to the battleground?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leonidas think about the ephors and their ruling about whether the Spartans can fight?
2. Describe the area in which the ephors live during this second chapter of the book.
3. What happens to Stelios as he marches in the weather at the beginning of the novel?
4. For how long have the soldiers at the start of this novel been marching?
5. What do the soldiers in the beginning of the novel wear as they match to battle?
6. What do the other Greek commanders do when they join up with Leonidas and his soldiers?
7. What kind of instrument is being played by a man at the beginning of the troops?
8. What does Leonidas suggest to the ephors that the Spartan army does when they fight the Persians?
9. Why is Daxos disappointed with Leonidas when he sees him marching toward his own group of troops?
10. Why do the ephors object to the plans of Leonidas when he comes to visit them?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)