|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the response of the ephors to the plans of Leonidas when he meets with them?
(b) They do not reply
2. Who is the character who spins the stories for the men as they are at their camps?
3. What is the nickname given to the man who has fallen over because of the heat of the day?
4. Who gives the nickname to the man who has fallen down during their march?
5. Where does Leonidas send the Persian envoy that is sent to collect the surrender?
(b) Back to his country
(c) Back to his ship
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the oracle insist must be observed as Leonidas goes to battle the Persians?
2. The oracle announces that Sparta will ________________.
3. The ___________ King is in command of all of the soldiers who have finally arrived at the Hot Gates.
4. Who expresses dismay over how few soldiers Leonidas has brought to the battleground?
5. The men are also carrying large circular __________ as they march to meet their enemy.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are the soldiers in the beginning of this novel marching to and from as they head into battle, it seems?
2. What does King Leonidas order Stelios to do with the captain that has been beaten senselessly?
3. Why does Leonidas believe he brought more soldiers than anyone, even though Daxos' group is larger?
4. What does Leonidas think about the ephors and their ruling about whether the Spartans can fight?
5. Why do the ephors object to the plans of Leonidas when he comes to visit them?
6. What is one of the reasons why Leonidas refuses to send the sign of subjugation to the Persian king?
7. Why does Dilios tell stories to the soldiers as they are preparing for battle?
8. What do the soldiers in the beginning of the novel wear as they match to battle?
9. Describe the weather conditions for the soldiers as they have marched during the beginning of this story.
10. What do the other Greek commanders do when they join up with Leonidas and his soldiers?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)