|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the boy return to Sparta wrapped in so as to show his victory?
(c) A robe of leaves
(d) Wolf pelt
2. What is the nickname given to the man who has fallen over because of the heat of the day?
3. What does the oracle insist must be observed as Leonidas goes to battle the Persians?
(b) All must be killed
(c) Peacetime doctrine
(d) War rules
4. Before the armies match to Hot Gates, where do they have to pass in their march?
(a) Hell's Gate
(b) Hell's Hair
(c) Hell's Mouth
5. Leonidas thinks that the __________ are decrepit old men who are completely out of touch with the modern world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the response of the ephors to the plans of Leonidas when he meets with them?
2. Leonidas muses that his distant rival, ___________, has already refused the Persian envoy's demands, so he does too.
3. Leonidas believe his army can beat the Persians with an intelligent selection of ___________.
4. What does the place where the ephors live emit from the rocks?
5. What does the oracle inhale as she begins to talk with Leonidas about his war plans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Persian Ambassador decides to lash Dilios?
2. What does Leonidas do when the Persian Ambassador once again asks for his surrender?
3. What do the soldiers in the beginning of the novel wear as they match to battle?
4. Why does Leonidas believe he brought more soldiers than anyone, even though Daxos' group is larger?
5. What does Ephialtes object to as he is leading the Persian groups into Greek territory?
6. What does King Xerxes offer to Leonidas when he comes into the camp the evening after battle?
7. What is the initial reaction to the Persian Ambassador when he comes into camp?
8. Why doesn't Leonidas accept Ephialtes as a soldier in the Spartan army when he asks to be a part of the march?
9. What does Leonidas think about the ephors and their ruling about whether the Spartans can fight?
10. What ensures no man in the Spartan army will falter or flee, according to the story?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)