|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The young boy in the story leaves ______________ in order to travel to the wilderness to prove himself.
2. What is the important Spartan religious festival that the ephors say cannot be a time of war?
3. What does the place where the ephors live emit from the rocks?
(a) Poisonous waters
(b) Black tar
4. The oracle announces that Sparta will ________________.
(b) Be destroyed
(c) Be victorious
(d) Be famous in its flames
5. What does the oracle insist must be observed as Leonidas goes to battle the Persians?
(a) War rules
(c) Peacetime doctrine
(d) All must be killed
Short Answer Questions
1. The remainder of the Persian envoy's entourage is then ___________ at Leonidas' orders.
2. Where does Leonidas send the Persian envoy that is sent to collect the surrender?
3. Leonidas has to talk to the ephors before a wide scale military expedition, according to _________ law.
4. Why does the storyteller tell the rest of the men stories as they sit around at camp?
5. Leonidas muses that his distant rival, ___________, has already refused the Persian envoy's demands, so he does too.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ephialtes object to as he is leading the Persian groups into Greek territory?
2. What does the Persian Ambassador do, even after his significant injury?
3. Where do the Spartan defensive tactics center (location-wise) in the beginning of this chapter?
4. What kinds of armor and weaponry do the Persians have during battle?
5. What do the Greeks exult over when they reach the Hot Gates during the violent storm?
6. Why do the ephors object to the plans of Leonidas when he comes to visit them?
7. What does Ephialtes reveal to King Xerxes after he is disrobed by two beautiful women?
8. Why doesn't Leonidas accept Ephialtes as a soldier in the Spartan army when he asks to be a part of the march?
9. What is the story Dilios begins to tell the men before his is interrupted by a panicked Daxos?
10. What ensures no man in the Spartan army will falter or flee, according to the story?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)