|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the soldiers see driven to the shore? Elements of the ______________.
(a) Persian fleet
(c) Athenian princes
2. When Leonidas objects to the ruling of the ephors, who is he told to see next?
3. ____________ realizes the Greeks have no hope of surviving the battle before them.
4. How old is the boy in the story of the wolf that the men like to hear again and again?
5. The men are wearing heavy __________ helmets as they are marching to meet their enemy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person to speak with the ephors offer to them for their treason?
2. What is the year in the only dates frame in this first chapter?
3. Where does Leonidas send the Persian envoy that is sent to collect the surrender?
4. What kind of terrain is Leonidas leading his men over as the day continues to be hot and oppressive?
5. What is the response of the ephors to the plans of Leonidas when he meets with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Daxos disappointed with Leonidas when he sees him marching toward his own group of troops?
2. Why does Dilios tell stories to the soldiers as they are preparing for battle?
3. Where are the soldiers in the beginning of this novel marching to and from as they head into battle, it seems?
4. What do the soldiers in the beginning of the novel wear as they match to battle?
5. What do the Greeks exult over when they reach the Hot Gates during the violent storm?
6. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
7. Describe the area in which the ephors live during this second chapter of the book.
8. What does Leonidas think about the ephors and their ruling about whether the Spartans can fight?
9. What is the path of the combined forces of Leonidas and the others who meet up with him?
10. What happens to Stelios as he marches in the weather at the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)