|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leonidas has to talk to the ephors before a wide scale military expedition, according to _________ law.
2. What kind of terrain is Leonidas leading his men over as the day continues to be hot and oppressive?
3. What does the oracle inhale as she begins to talk with Leonidas about his war plans?
4. The oracle announces that Sparta will ________________.
(b) Be famous in its flames
(c) Be destroyed
(d) Be victorious
5. Where does Leonidas send the Persian envoy that is sent to collect the surrender?
(a) Back to his country
(c) Back to his ship
Short Answer Questions
1. The men who are marching are armed with short _______ and heavy spears.
2. What does the boy fashion as he is out on his quest?
3. What does the person to speak with the ephors offer to them for their treason?
4. What begins to turn into a violent storm the closer they move toward the Hot Gates?
5. The Queen tells Leonidas he should come back either with his ____________ or on his _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Greeks exult over when they reach the Hot Gates during the violent storm?
2. Describe the area in which the ephors live during this second chapter of the book.
3. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
4. Describe the weather conditions for the soldiers as they have marched during the beginning of this story.
5. What does the Persian envoy tell Leonidas to send to the Persian king as a sign of subjugation?
6. What is one of the reasons why Leonidas refuses to send the sign of subjugation to the Persian king?
7. What do the other Greek commanders do when they join up with Leonidas and his soldiers?
8. What is the object of the march of the soldiers in the beginning of this manuscript?
9. What does Leonidas suggest to the ephors that the Spartan army does when they fight the Persians?
10. What does King Leonidas order Stelios to do with the captain that has been beaten senselessly?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)