|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many soldiers are rumored to be in the Persian army that Leonidas is planning on fighting?
(a) Very few
2. The oracle also states that no Spartan army will ____________.
3. What is the year in the only dates frame in this first chapter?
(a) 460 BC
(b) 500 BC
(c) 420 BC
(d) 480 BC
4. What does the boy lead the stalking animal into that proves to be the demise of the animal?
(c) Narrow fissure in the cliff
(d) Goat's pass
5. What does the oracle inhale as she begins to talk with Leonidas about his war plans?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy return to Sparta wrapped in so as to show his victory?
2. The men are also carrying large circular __________ as they march to meet their enemy.
3. The boy is expected to ____________ for a period of time without supplies or equipment.
4. Who orders the captain to stop the beating of the man who ended up falling down from the heat?
5. How long ago was the meeting with the ephors and the oracle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Queen instruct Leonidas to come back doing as he marches off without explaining where he is going?
2. Why does Leonidas believe he brought more soldiers than anyone, even though Daxos' group is larger?
3. What is the path of the combined forces of Leonidas and the others who meet up with him?
4. What does Leonidas think about the ephors and their ruling about whether the Spartans can fight?
5. Where are the soldiers in the beginning of this novel marching to and from as they head into battle, it seems?
6. What do the other Greek commanders do when they join up with Leonidas and his soldiers?
7. What does Leonidas suggest to the ephors that the Spartan army does when they fight the Persians?
8. Why do the ephors object to the plans of Leonidas when he comes to visit them?
9. Why is Daxos disappointed with Leonidas when he sees him marching toward his own group of troops?
10. What do the soldiers in the beginning of the novel wear as they match to battle?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)