|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the place where the boy leads the animal called?
(a) The end of time
(b) The Hell's Gate
(c) A concave settlement
(d) A narrow wound
2. The oracle also states that no Spartan army will ____________.
3. The men are also carrying large circular __________ as they march to meet their enemy.
4. What do the soldiers see driven to the shore? Elements of the ______________.
(a) Athenian princes
(d) Persian fleet
5. What does the boy return to Sparta wrapped in so as to show his victory?
(b) A robe of leaves
(d) Wolf pelt
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the oracle inhale as she begins to talk with Leonidas about his war plans?
2. How long ago did Leonidas refuse the offer of the Persian envoy to surrender to them?
3. What begins to turn into a violent storm the closer they move toward the Hot Gates?
4. What is the important Spartan religious festival that the ephors say cannot be a time of war?
5. What kind of terrain is Leonidas leading his men over as the day continues to be hot and oppressive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Leonidas believe he brought more soldiers than anyone, even though Daxos' group is larger?
2. What kinds of weapons are the soldiers carrying as they march to battle at the start of this novel?
3. Why is Daxos disappointed with Leonidas when he sees him marching toward his own group of troops?
4. Describe the oracle that Leonidas next confers with after talking with the ephors.
5. What kind of instrument is being played by a man at the beginning of the troops?
6. What does the Queen instruct Leonidas to come back doing as he marches off without explaining where he is going?
7. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
8. What does King Leonidas order Stelios to do with the captain that has been beaten senselessly?
9. What is the object of the march of the soldiers in the beginning of this manuscript?
10. Describe the weather conditions for the soldiers as they have marched during the beginning of this story.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)