|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the character who spins the stories for the men as they are at their camps?
2. What kind of animal is the boy stalked by as he is sitting in the wilderness?
3. What does the boy fashion as he is out on his quest?
(a) A shield from wood
(b) A cape of red
(c) A kettle
(d) A light spear
4. What does the king tell the men they will go without because of the incident with the captain and the beating?
(a) Water for the day
(b) Food for the day
(c) Weapons for the battle
(d) Clothing for the night
5. Which soldier succumbs to the heat, growing dizzy and stumbling around?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who expresses dismay over how few soldiers Leonidas has brought to the battleground?
2. What kind of terrain is Leonidas leading his men over as the day continues to be hot and oppressive?
3. The men are also carrying large circular __________ as they march to meet their enemy.
4. What is the color of the cloaks of the men in the army marching at the beginning of this novel?
5. The boy is expected to ____________ for a period of time without supplies or equipment.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Daxos disappointed with Leonidas when he sees him marching toward his own group of troops?
2. What kinds of weapons are the soldiers carrying as they march to battle at the start of this novel?
3. What do the Greeks exult over when they reach the Hot Gates during the violent storm?
4. Describe the weather conditions for the soldiers as they have marched during the beginning of this story.
5. What does Leonidas think about the ephors and their ruling about whether the Spartans can fight?
6. Where are the soldiers in the beginning of this novel marching to and from as they head into battle, it seems?
7. What does the Persian envoy tell Leonidas to send to the Persian king as a sign of subjugation?
8. Why does Dilios tell stories to the soldiers as they are preparing for battle?
9. Describe the area in which the ephors live during this second chapter of the book.
10. What is one of the reasons why Leonidas refuses to send the sign of subjugation to the Persian king?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)