|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the place where the ephors live emit from the rocks?
(a) Black tar
(b) Poisonous waters
2. How many warriors is Leonidas going to be joined by on his walk away from his home?
3. What begins to turn into a violent storm the closer they move toward the Hot Gates?
(a) Windy day
(b) Soldier's moods
(d) Pelting rain
4. The messenger asked that Leonidas send a ________ of earth and a jar of water to the King of Persia.
5. Leonidas muses that his distant rival, ___________, has already refused the Persian envoy's demands, so he does too.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the king tell the men they will go without because of the incident with the captain and the beating?
2. Who is the character who spins the stories for the men as they are at their camps?
3. What does Leonidas ask of the soldiers in the Arcadian Greek army in order to refute others who criticize his army?
4. The men are wearing heavy __________ helmets as they are marching to meet their enemy.
5. Who is the man to which all the commanders of other armies give their power to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the path of the combined forces of Leonidas and the others who meet up with him?
2. What happens to Stelios as he marches in the weather at the beginning of the novel?
3. What do the Greeks exult over when they reach the Hot Gates during the violent storm?
4. Why does Dilios tell stories to the soldiers as they are preparing for battle?
5. Where are the soldiers in the beginning of this novel marching to and from as they head into battle, it seems?
6. What does Leonidas think about the ephors and their ruling about whether the Spartans can fight?
7. Why is Daxos disappointed with Leonidas when he sees him marching toward his own group of troops?
8. What does King Leonidas order Stelios to do with the captain that has been beaten senselessly?
9. What kinds of weapons are the soldiers carrying as they march to battle at the start of this novel?
10. What does the Queen instruct Leonidas to come back doing as he marches off without explaining where he is going?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)