|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who expresses dismay over how few soldiers Leonidas has brought to the battleground?
2. What are the loin straps made out of in the soldiers' uniforms as they march?
3. What does Leonidas have to donate before he can see the ephors?
(a) A soldier
(b) His wife
(c) Some blood
(d) Heavy gold coins
4. What is the year in the only dates frame in this first chapter?
(a) 500 BC
(b) 480 BC
(c) 460 BC
(d) 420 BC
5. After Leonidas leaves the ephors, who emerges from the shadows to speak with the ephors?
(a) The Queen
(d) Persian infiltrator
Short Answer Questions
1. When Leonidas objects to the ruling of the ephors, who is he told to see next?
2. What would the earth and the water have shown to the King of Persian had Leonidas sent them?
3. What do the soldiers see driven to the shore? Elements of the ______________.
4. Before the armies match to Hot Gates, where do they have to pass in their march?
5. Where do the ephors that Leonidas needs to visit with actually live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of instrument is being played by a man at the beginning of the troops?
2. Describe the weather conditions for the soldiers as they have marched during the beginning of this story.
3. For how long have the soldiers at the start of this novel been marching?
4. What kinds of weapons are the soldiers carrying as they march to battle at the start of this novel?
5. What does King Leonidas order Stelios to do with the captain that has been beaten senselessly?
6. What does the Queen instruct Leonidas to come back doing as he marches off without explaining where he is going?
7. Why do the ephors object to the plans of Leonidas when he comes to visit them?
8. What do the soldiers in the beginning of the novel wear as they match to battle?
9. Describe the oracle that Leonidas next confers with after talking with the ephors.
10. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)