|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The object of the march of the men is glory and _________ as they march to meet their enemies.
2. What does the boy lead the stalking animal into that proves to be the demise of the animal?
(b) Goat's pass
(c) Narrow fissure in the cliff
3. What would the earth and the water have shown to the King of Persian had Leonidas sent them?
4. The ___________ King is in command of all of the soldiers who have finally arrived at the Hot Gates.
5. Who expresses dismay over how few soldiers Leonidas has brought to the battleground?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Leonidas announces he is going for a walk, in what direction does he say he will travel?
2. Where does Leonidas send the Persian envoy that is sent to collect the surrender?
3. Leonidas muses that his distant rival, ___________, has already refused the Persian envoy's demands, so he does too.
4. Why does the storyteller tell the rest of the men stories as they sit around at camp?
5. The men in the army are being led by a man who is playing the __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the ephors object to the plans of Leonidas when he comes to visit them?
2. What is one of the reasons why Leonidas refuses to send the sign of subjugation to the Persian king?
3. Describe the area in which the ephors live during this second chapter of the book.
4. What do the Spartans do with the Persian corpses from their battle in order to intimidate others, it seems?
5. What news does the panicked Daxos bring to the other men in Leonidas' army?
6. What does Leonidas tell Dilios when he pulls him aside before the last stand with the Persians?
7. Describe the appearance of the Hot Gates where the Spartans are fighting.
8. What does the Persian Ambassador do, even after his significant injury?
9. What tale does Dilios tell as the Persian Ambassador visits the Spartan camp?
10. After the initial assault of the Persians is defeated, what do the Persians do next to the Spartans?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)