|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the king tell the men they will go without because of the incident with the captain and the beating?
(a) Weapons for the battle
(b) Clothing for the night
(c) Food for the day
(d) Water for the day
2. What does the oracle insist must be observed as Leonidas goes to battle the Persians?
(a) War rules
(c) All must be killed
(d) Peacetime doctrine
3. The oracle announces that Sparta will ________________.
(a) Be famous in its flames
(b) Be victorious
(d) Be destroyed
4. The men who are marching are armed with short _______ and heavy spears.
(a) Chain mail
5. The ___________ King is in command of all of the soldiers who have finally arrived at the Hot Gates.
Short Answer Questions
1. The messenger asked that Leonidas send a ________ of earth and a jar of water to the King of Persia.
2. What does Leonidas ask of the soldiers in the Arcadian Greek army in order to refute others who criticize his army?
3. What begins to turn into a violent storm the closer they move toward the Hot Gates?
4. When Leonidas objects to the ruling of the ephors, who is he told to see next?
5. Who orders the captain to stop the beating of the man who ended up falling down from the heat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ephialtes hope to gain from fighting with the Spartan army as one of the soldiers?
2. Why do the ephors object to the plans of Leonidas when he comes to visit them?
3. What has happened to the missing Persian scouting group?
4. What is the hoplite phalanx formation that the Spartans use and what happens when it is used in battle?
5. Why is Daxos disappointed with Leonidas when he sees him marching toward his own group of troops?
6. What is the initial reaction to the Persian Ambassador when he comes into camp?
7. What is the object of the march of the soldiers in the beginning of this manuscript?
8. What kinds of armor and weaponry do the Persians have during battle?
9. What do the Greeks exult over when they reach the Hot Gates during the violent storm?
10. Why doesn't Leonidas accept Ephialtes as a soldier in the Spartan army when he asks to be a part of the march?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)