|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the boy in the story of the wolf that the men like to hear again and again?
2. After Leonidas leaves the ephors, who emerges from the shadows to speak with the ephors?
(b) The Queen
(c) Persian infiltrator
3. Who orders the captain to stop the beating of the man who ended up falling down from the heat?
4. What do the soldiers see driven to the shore? Elements of the ______________.
(a) Athenian princes
(c) Persian fleet
5. The men are wearing heavy __________ helmets as they are marching to meet their enemy.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ___________ King is in command of all of the soldiers who have finally arrived at the Hot Gates.
2. What arrived in Sparta that caused the King to make a decision which led to the battle they are marching to?
3. How long ago was the meeting with the ephors and the oracle?
4. What does the boy return to Sparta wrapped in so as to show his victory?
5. What is the name of the Persian King who asks Leonidas for his surrender?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of weapons are the soldiers carrying as they march to battle at the start of this novel?
2. Why does Dilios tell stories to the soldiers as they are preparing for battle?
3. Describe the oracle that Leonidas next confers with after talking with the ephors.
4. What does Leonidas suggest to the ephors that the Spartan army does when they fight the Persians?
5. What does Leonidas think about the ephors and their ruling about whether the Spartans can fight?
6. Where are the soldiers in the beginning of this novel marching to and from as they head into battle, it seems?
7. What does the Persian envoy tell Leonidas to send to the Persian king as a sign of subjugation?
8. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
9. What happens to Stelios as he marches in the weather at the beginning of the novel?
10. What is the path of the combined forces of Leonidas and the others who meet up with him?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)