|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before the armies match to Hot Gates, where do they have to pass in their march?
(a) Hell's Hair
(b) Hell's Gate
(c) Hell's Mouth
2. What kind of animal is the boy stalked by as he is sitting in the wilderness?
3. Why does the storyteller tell the rest of the men stories as they sit around at camp?
(a) To educate them
(b) To humor them
(c) To inspire them
(d) To warn them
4. How many soldiers are rumored to be in the Persian army that Leonidas is planning on fighting?
(a) Very few
5. Which soldier succumbs to the heat, growing dizzy and stumbling around?
Short Answer Questions
1. The men in the army are being led by a man who is playing the __________.
2. What is the nickname given to the man who has fallen over because of the heat of the day?
3. Who gives the nickname to the man who has fallen down during their march?
4. What is the color of the cloaks of the men in the army marching at the beginning of this novel?
5. For how many days have the men been marching to arrive at their location?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Stelios as he marches in the weather at the beginning of the novel?
2. What kinds of weapons are the soldiers carrying as they march to battle at the start of this novel?
3. What does the Persian envoy tell Leonidas to send to the Persian king as a sign of subjugation?
4. What do the Greeks exult over when they reach the Hot Gates during the violent storm?
5. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
6. What is one of the reasons why Leonidas refuses to send the sign of subjugation to the Persian king?
7. Why do the ephors object to the plans of Leonidas when he comes to visit them?
8. What is the object of the march of the soldiers in the beginning of this manuscript?
9. Where are the soldiers in the beginning of this novel marching to and from as they head into battle, it seems?
10. What kind of instrument is being played by a man at the beginning of the troops?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)