|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the storyteller tell the rest of the men stories as they sit around at camp?
(a) To humor them
(b) To educate them
(c) To inspire them
(d) To warn them
2. What do the soldiers see driven to the shore? Elements of the ______________.
(a) Athenian princes
(c) Persian fleet
3. When Leonidas objects to the ruling of the ephors, who is he told to see next?
4. Which soldier succumbs to the heat, growing dizzy and stumbling around?
5. The ___________ King is in command of all of the soldiers who have finally arrived at the Hot Gates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leonidas believes he has brought more ____________ than anyone else.
2. Who is the character who spins the stories for the men as they are at their camps?
3. ____________ realizes the Greeks have no hope of surviving the battle before them.
4. What is the important Spartan religious festival that the ephors say cannot be a time of war?
5. What does the boy lead the stalking animal into that proves to be the demise of the animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the other Greek commanders do when they join up with Leonidas and his soldiers?
2. What kinds of weapons are the soldiers carrying as they march to battle at the start of this novel?
3. Why does Dilios tell stories to the soldiers as they are preparing for battle?
4. What is the object of the march of the soldiers in the beginning of this manuscript?
5. Describe the weather conditions for the soldiers as they have marched during the beginning of this story.
6. What does the Queen instruct Leonidas to come back doing as he marches off without explaining where he is going?
7. Where are the soldiers in the beginning of this novel marching to and from as they head into battle, it seems?
8. What does King Leonidas order Stelios to do with the captain that has been beaten senselessly?
9. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
10. What do the soldiers in the beginning of the novel wear as they match to battle?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)