|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives the nickname to the man who has fallen down during their march?
2. The men who are marching are armed with short _______ and heavy spears.
(d) Chain mail
3. What does Leonidas ask of the soldiers in the Arcadian Greek army in order to refute others who criticize his army?
(a) Their skill set
(b) Their profession
(c) Their motivation
(d) Their family tree
4. What is the color of the cloaks of the men in the army marching at the beginning of this novel?
5. What does the place where the ephors live emit from the rocks?
(a) Black tar
(b) Poisonous waters
Short Answer Questions
1. After Leonidas leaves the ephors, who emerges from the shadows to speak with the ephors?
2. The Queen tells Leonidas he should come back either with his ____________ or on his _____________.
3. What are the loin straps made out of in the soldiers' uniforms as they march?
4. How many soldiers are thought to be in the area when the final Greek attachments join Leonidas and Daxos?
5. Who is the character who spins the stories for the men as they are at their camps?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the reasons why Leonidas refuses to send the sign of subjugation to the Persian king?
2. What does King Leonidas order Stelios to do with the captain that has been beaten senselessly?
3. Why is Daxos disappointed with Leonidas when he sees him marching toward his own group of troops?
4. What does Leonidas have to do prior to beginning a full scale military expedition, according to Spartan law?
5. What is the path of the combined forces of Leonidas and the others who meet up with him?
6. Describe the weather conditions for the soldiers as they have marched during the beginning of this story.
7. Why does Leonidas believe he brought more soldiers than anyone, even though Daxos' group is larger?
8. What happens to Stelios as he marches in the weather at the beginning of the novel?
9. What does Leonidas suggest to the ephors that the Spartan army does when they fight the Persians?
10. Why do the ephors object to the plans of Leonidas when he comes to visit them?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)