|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the oracle insist must be observed as Leonidas goes to battle the Persians?
(a) Peacetime doctrine
(c) All must be killed
(d) War rules
2. Who suggests the the King should be surrounded by bodyguards on his walk?
(c) The Queen
3. Why does the storyteller tell the rest of the men stories as they sit around at camp?
(a) To warn them
(b) To educate them
(c) To humor them
(d) To inspire them
4. The oracle announces that Sparta will ________________.
(a) Be destroyed
(c) Be victorious
(d) Be famous in its flames
5. How many years have passed since the story of the boy and the animal has taken place?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the boy in the story of the wolf that the men like to hear again and again?
2. What is the name of the Persian King who asks Leonidas for his surrender?
3. What is the year in the only dates frame in this first chapter?
4. Who is the character who spins the stories for the men as they are at their camps?
5. What would the earth and the water have shown to the King of Persian had Leonidas sent them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are the soldiers in the beginning of this novel marching to and from as they head into battle, it seems?
2. What does King Leonidas order Stelios to do with the captain that has been beaten senselessly?
3. What do the soldiers in the beginning of the novel wear as they match to battle?
4. What kind of instrument is being played by a man at the beginning of the troops?
5. What is one of the reasons why Leonidas refuses to send the sign of subjugation to the Persian king?
6. What does Leonidas suggest to the ephors that the Spartan army does when they fight the Persians?
7. What do the Greeks exult over when they reach the Hot Gates during the violent storm?
8. Why is Daxos disappointed with Leonidas when he sees him marching toward his own group of troops?
9. Describe the weather conditions for the soldiers as they have marched during the beginning of this story.
10. Describe the area in which the ephors live during this second chapter of the book.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)