|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is watching from a distance and is becoming nervous that the Spartans might actually win?
2. What does the second wave of the Persians come to the Spartans on?
3. Who refused to give up Ephialtes, which led to his being saved from death?
4. What does Leonidas see as a major flaw in the Persian king?
5. What does Ephialtes do when he hears he cannot be a part of the Spartan resistance?
(b) Flings himself over the precipice
(c) Kills Leonidas
(d) Argues with Leonidas
6. Who does the Persian visitor see butchered and impaled as he enters the camp?
7. What do the men think of the answer to #106? What do the soldiers believe is happening?
(a) Oracle is warning them
(d) Persians are coming
8. The Spartans only need to defend a narrow strip of ______________ against the Persian attack when they are at the Hot Gates.
9. What does the Persian ambassador continue to deliver, even as he is hurt badly?
(a) Peace agreement
(c) A prayer for the souls of the Spartans
(d) Demands from Xerxes
10. What does Leonidas order the Spartans to use as their formation when he begins to realize the power of the animals?
(b) Alpha Minora
(d) Hoplite phalanx
11. The Hot Gates themselves are a narrow ______________ gap at the base of a wall.
(b) Inches wide
(c) Yards wide
12. Who has since died in great shame, which becomes Ephialtes' motivation?
(a) His sister
(b) His brother
(c) His father
(d) His mother
13. What happens when the Persian visitor first enters the camp of the Greeks?
(a) He is killed
(b) He is lauded
(c) He is taken prisoner
(d) He is ignored
14. Xerxes orders his personal bodyguard, _______________, into combat.
(a) The Skulls
(b) The elephants
(c) The Jewels
(d) The Immortals
15. In the Greek formation in #101, what must interlock in order to provide cover to the soldiers?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Persian ambassador attempt to lash as he becomes more and more frustrated?
2. The family of Ephialtes left ____________ and traveled north to get away.
3. The narrow trail is near a cliff which falls to the ___________ below.
4. The Hot Gates are a part of a massive cliff ______________ that blocks the path for many miles.
5. What is Ephialtes not able to raise to the proper height, as seen in his demonstration of his fighting ability?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)