|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who refused to abandon Ephialtes' mother, which also helped to save him?
2. The overlapping shields of the Spartan soldiers create a solid wall of ___________.
3. The Hot Gates are a part of a massive cliff ______________ that blocks the path for many miles.
4. What does Leonidas believe the Persian King thinks he is?
(a) Too beautiful
(b) Too weak
5. Where are the babies left to die when they are seen to have troubles, like those in the answer to #89?
6. Who is assigned as a picket for the night after the Spartans won two decisive victories over the Persians?
7. Who staggers into the Spartan camp, which surprises everyone who sees him?
8. The Spartans only need to defend a narrow strip of ______________ against the Persian attack when they are at the Hot Gates.
9. What does Leonidas recognize the tremors in the earth to be?
(a) Shifting soil
(c) Persian army
(d) The angry gods
10. What is the Persian visitor worried about the disappearance of as he enters the camp?
(b) Earlier scouting unit
(d) His wife
11. What kinds of shields do the Persian army carry, which are also not very effective against the Greeks?
12. The pride of Xerxes causes him to want immediate ______________ from his personal bodyguard troops.
13. The Persian visitor offers to make Leonidas the _________________ of all Greece.
(b) Absolute warlord
14. The Spartans are stacking up a large __________ of Persians even before the main battle begins.
(b) Prison camp
(c) Body count
15. The others in the army view Ephialtes' appearance with _________________ as he hulks over to see them.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Hot Gates themselves are a narrow ______________ gap at the base of a wall.
2. What does Ephialtes reveal to Leonidas as a way to circumvent the Hot Gates?
3. What does the Persian ambassador continue to deliver, even as he is hurt badly?
4. Ephialtes reveals that his father taught him to fight like a _____________.
5. What Greek formation requires that the soldiers hold their bodies in a certain formation?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)