|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of terrain is Leonidas leading his men over as the day continues to be hot and oppressive?
2. Leonidas believes he has brought more ____________ than anyone else.
(c) Truthful men
(d) Brave ones
3. The messenger asked that Leonidas send a ________ of earth and a jar of water to the King of Persia.
4. The object of the march of the men is glory and _________ as they march to meet their enemies.
5. What does the oracle insist must be observed as Leonidas goes to battle the Persians?
(b) All must be killed
(c) Peacetime doctrine
(d) War rules
6. After Leonidas leaves the ephors, who emerges from the shadows to speak with the ephors?
(a) Persian infiltrator
(d) The Queen
7. What is the color of the cloaks of the men in the army marching at the beginning of this novel?
8. What does the place where the ephors live emit from the rocks?
(b) Poisonous waters
(c) Black tar
9. What happens to the soldier who falls over because of the heat of the day?
(a) He is kicked out of the formation
(b) He leaves the army
(c) He is killed
(d) He is beaten
10. The Queen tells Leonidas he should come back either with his ____________ or on his _____________.
(a) Head, back
(b) Sword, shield
(c) Shield, sword
(d) Shield, shield
11. Who is the man to which all the commanders of other armies give their power to?
12. What do the soldiers see driven to the shore? Elements of the ______________.
(a) Athenian princes
(b) Persian fleet
13. Where does Leonidas want to meet with the Persian army in an effort to beat them?
(b) Hot Gates
(c) Holy Houses
(d) Goat pass
14. The oracle announces that Sparta will ________________.
(a) Be famous in its flames
(b) Be destroyed
(c) Be victorious
15. What is the name of the Persian King who asks Leonidas for his surrender?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the character who spins the stories for the men as they are at their camps?
2. How long ago did Leonidas refuse the offer of the Persian envoy to surrender to them?
3. Who gives the nickname to the man who has fallen down during their march?
4. The ___________ King is in command of all of the soldiers who have finally arrived at the Hot Gates.
5. What does the boy lead the stalking animal into that proves to be the demise of the animal?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)