|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of terrain is Leonidas leading his men over as the day continues to be hot and oppressive?
2. What happens to the soldier who falls over because of the heat of the day?
(a) He is kicked out of the formation
(b) He is beaten
(c) He leaves the army
(d) He is killed
3. How many warriors is Leonidas going to be joined by on his walk away from his home?
4. Who is the man to which all the commanders of other armies give their power to?
5. What does the place where the ephors live emit from the rocks?
(a) Black tar
(d) Poisonous waters
6. The young boy in the story leaves ______________ in order to travel to the wilderness to prove himself.
7. How long ago did Leonidas refuse the offer of the Persian envoy to surrender to them?
(a) One week
(b) One year
(c) Three days
(d) Two years
8. What does Leonidas ask of the soldiers in the Arcadian Greek army in order to refute others who criticize his army?
(a) Their family tree
(b) Their skill set
(c) Their profession
(d) Their motivation
9. The oracle also states that no Spartan army will ____________.
10. Leonidas has to talk to the ephors before a wide scale military expedition, according to _________ law.
11. Where do the ephors that Leonidas needs to visit with actually live?
(a) Middle of Athens
(b) Craggy peak
(c) Mount Olympus
12. How many soldiers are rumored to be in the Persian army that Leonidas is planning on fighting?
(a) Very few
13. The ___________ King is in command of all of the soldiers who have finally arrived at the Hot Gates.
14. Leonidas believes he has brought more ____________ than anyone else.
(a) Brave ones
(b) Truthful men
15. Who is the character who spins the stories for the men as they are at their camps?
Short Answer Questions
1. Leonidas believe his army can beat the Persians with an intelligent selection of ___________.
2. What is the year in the only dates frame in this first chapter?
3. Who suggests the the King should be surrounded by bodyguards on his walk?
4. Leonidas muses that his distant rival, ___________, has already refused the Persian envoy's demands, so he does too.
5. Where does Leonidas want to meet with the Persian army in an effort to beat them?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)