|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the oracle inhale as she begins to talk with Leonidas about his war plans?
2. Where do the ephors that Leonidas needs to visit with actually live?
(a) Craggy peak
(b) Middle of Athens
(c) Mount Olympus
3. The young boy in the story leaves ______________ in order to travel to the wilderness to prove himself.
4. What is the nickname given to the man who has fallen over because of the heat of the day?
5. What is the important Spartan religious festival that the ephors say cannot be a time of war?
6. What is the place where the boy leads the animal called?
(a) The Hell's Gate
(b) The end of time
(c) A narrow wound
(d) A concave settlement
7. What does the boy lead the stalking animal into that proves to be the demise of the animal?
(c) Goat's pass
(d) Narrow fissure in the cliff
8. What is the year in the only dates frame in this first chapter?
(a) 500 BC
(b) 480 BC
(c) 420 BC
(d) 460 BC
9. The messenger asked that Leonidas send a ________ of earth and a jar of water to the King of Persia.
10. What caused the destruction of the items from the question #68?
(a) Violent storm
(d) Persian traitors
11. How many soldiers are rumored to be in the Persian army that Leonidas is planning on fighting?
(c) Very few
12. For how many days have the men been marching to arrive at their location?
13. What kind of terrain is Leonidas leading his men over as the day continues to be hot and oppressive?
14. The men in the army are being led by a man who is playing the __________.
15. What does the person to speak with the ephors offer to them for their treason?
(a) Jar of earth and water
(b) Signed surrender
(c) An elephant
(d) Gold coins
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the loin straps made out of in the soldiers' uniforms as they march?
2. The remainder of the Persian envoy's entourage is then ___________ at Leonidas' orders.
3. What is the color of the cloaks of the men in the army marching at the beginning of this novel?
4. What does the boy return to Sparta wrapped in so as to show his victory?
5. The oracle announces that Sparta will ________________.
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)