|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before the armies match to Hot Gates, where do they have to pass in their march?
(b) Hell's Gate
(c) Hell's Mouth
(d) Hell's Hair
2. The object of the march of the men is glory and _________ as they march to meet their enemies.
3. When Leonidas objects to the ruling of the ephors, who is he told to see next?
4. What happens to the soldier who falls over because of the heat of the day?
(a) He is kicked out of the formation
(b) He leaves the army
(c) He is killed
(d) He is beaten
5. Who expresses dismay over how few soldiers Leonidas has brought to the battleground?
6. Where does Leonidas send the Persian envoy that is sent to collect the surrender?
(b) Back to his ship
(c) Back to his country
7. What is the nickname given to the man who has fallen over because of the heat of the day?
8. Leonidas thinks that the __________ are decrepit old men who are completely out of touch with the modern world.
9. What does the oracle inhale as she begins to talk with Leonidas about his war plans?
10. What does the boy of the story with the animal eventually become for the city of Sparta?
11. What does the king tell the men they will go without because of the incident with the captain and the beating?
(a) Water for the day
(b) Clothing for the night
(c) Food for the day
(d) Weapons for the battle
12. After Leonidas leaves the ephors, who emerges from the shadows to speak with the ephors?
(c) Persian infiltrator
(d) The Queen
13. What does the place where the ephors live emit from the rocks?
(a) Poisonous waters
(d) Black tar
14. The men are wearing heavy __________ helmets as they are marching to meet their enemy.
15. What is the name of the Persian King who asks Leonidas for his surrender?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years have passed since the story of the boy and the animal has taken place?
2. ____________ realizes the Greeks have no hope of surviving the battle before them.
3. Who suggests the the King should be surrounded by bodyguards on his walk?
4. What would the earth and the water have shown to the King of Persian had Leonidas sent them?
5. Leonidas has to talk to the ephors before a wide scale military expedition, according to _________ law.
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)