|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Leonidas send the Persian envoy that is sent to collect the surrender?
(b) Back to his ship
(c) Back to his country
2. Which soldier succumbs to the heat, growing dizzy and stumbling around?
3. What is the response of the ephors to the plans of Leonidas when he meets with them?
(d) They do not reply
4. Leonidas muses that his distant rival, ___________, has already refused the Persian envoy's demands, so he does too.
5. How long ago did Leonidas refuse the offer of the Persian envoy to surrender to them?
(a) One week
(b) One year
(c) Three days
(d) Two years
6. The oracle announces that Sparta will ________________.
(b) Be famous in its flames
(c) Be victorious
(d) Be destroyed
7. What begins to turn into a violent storm the closer they move toward the Hot Gates?
(a) Windy day
(b) Pelting rain
(c) Soldier's moods
8. What does the boy of the story with the animal eventually become for the city of Sparta?
9. For how many days have the men been marching to arrive at their location?
10. When Leonidas objects to the ruling of the ephors, who is he told to see next?
11. What does Leonidas ask of the soldiers in the Arcadian Greek army in order to refute others who criticize his army?
(a) Their family tree
(b) Their profession
(c) Their motivation
(d) Their skill set
12. What do the Greeks exult over when they look out to the sea as they wait for battle?
(a) Clear sky
(b) Darkness falling
(c) Blood on the ground
(d) Persian corpses
13. Where does Leonidas want to meet with the Persian army in an effort to beat them?
(a) Holy Houses
(c) Goat pass
(d) Hot Gates
14. What arrived in Sparta that caused the King to make a decision which led to the battle they are marching to?
(a) A severed head
(b) Persian envoy
(c) A note from China
(d) His Queen
15. What is the nickname given to the man who has fallen over because of the heat of the day?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy fashion as he is out on his quest?
2. What does the boy return to Sparta wrapped in so as to show his victory?
3. Who gives the nickname to the man who has fallen down during their march?
4. The boy is expected to ____________ for a period of time without supplies or equipment.
5. What are the loin straps made out of in the soldiers' uniforms as they march?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)