|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of animal is the boy stalked by as he is sitting in the wilderness?
2. What does the oracle inhale as she begins to talk with Leonidas about his war plans?
3. When Leonidas announces he is going for a walk, in what direction does he say he will travel?
4. Who is the character who spins the stories for the men as they are at their camps?
5. Who expresses dismay over how few soldiers Leonidas has brought to the battleground?
6. What is the year in the only dates frame in this first chapter?
(a) 480 BC
(b) 420 BC
(c) 460 BC
(d) 500 BC
7. The men are also carrying large circular __________ as they march to meet their enemy.
8. The remainder of the Persian envoy's entourage is then ___________ at Leonidas' orders.
9. The oracle also states that no Spartan army will ____________.
10. What does the boy of the story with the animal eventually become for the city of Sparta?
11. The boy is expected to ____________ for a period of time without supplies or equipment.
12. What does the boy lead the stalking animal into that proves to be the demise of the animal?
(c) Goat's pass
(d) Narrow fissure in the cliff
13. The men in the army are being led by a man who is playing the __________.
14. How many warriors is Leonidas going to be joined by on his walk away from his home?
15. What begins to turn into a violent storm the closer they move toward the Hot Gates?
(b) Windy day
(c) Soldier's moods
(d) Pelting rain
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago did Leonidas refuse the offer of the Persian envoy to surrender to them?
2. What does the oracle insist must be observed as Leonidas goes to battle the Persians?
3. Why does the storyteller tell the rest of the men stories as they sit around at camp?
4. Who gives the nickname to the man who has fallen down during their march?
5. Who leads the force of Arcadian Greeks that Leonidas encounters on his way to battle?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)