|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many soldiers are rumored to be in the Persian army that Leonidas is planning on fighting?
(b) Very few
2. What is the nickname given to the man who has fallen over because of the heat of the day?
3. Leonidas believes he has brought more ____________ than anyone else.
(a) Truthful men
(c) Brave ones
4. When Leonidas announces he is going for a walk, in what direction does he say he will travel?
5. What does the boy return to Sparta wrapped in so as to show his victory?
(c) Wolf pelt
(d) A robe of leaves
6. What is the place where the boy leads the animal called?
(a) A narrow wound
(b) The Hell's Gate
(c) A concave settlement
(d) The end of time
7. What kind of terrain is Leonidas leading his men over as the day continues to be hot and oppressive?
8. What is the color of the cloaks of the men in the army marching at the beginning of this novel?
9. What does the king tell the men they will go without because of the incident with the captain and the beating?
(a) Food for the day
(b) Weapons for the battle
(c) Water for the day
(d) Clothing for the night
10. The object of the march of the men is glory and _________ as they march to meet their enemies.
11. Why does the storyteller tell the rest of the men stories as they sit around at camp?
(a) To inspire them
(b) To warn them
(c) To educate them
(d) To humor them
12. What is the name of the Persian King who asks Leonidas for his surrender?
13. When Leonidas objects to the ruling of the ephors, who is he told to see next?
14. The oracle announces that Sparta will ________________.
(a) Be victorious
(b) Be destroyed
(d) Be famous in its flames
15. What would the earth and the water have shown to the King of Persian had Leonidas sent them?
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many days have the men been marching to arrive at their location?
2. What does the boy fashion as he is out on his quest?
3. Leonidas has to talk to the ephors before a wide scale military expedition, according to _________ law.
4. Where does Leonidas want to meet with the Persian army in an effort to beat them?
5. What do the Greeks exult over when they look out to the sea as they wait for battle?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)