|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Persian King who asks Leonidas for his surrender?
2. When Leonidas announces he is going for a walk, in what direction does he say he will travel?
3. Who gives the nickname to the man who has fallen down during their march?
4. What do the Greeks exult over when they look out to the sea as they wait for battle?
(a) Blood on the ground
(b) Persian corpses
(c) Darkness falling
(d) Clear sky
5. The ___________ King is in command of all of the soldiers who have finally arrived at the Hot Gates.
6. The messenger asked that Leonidas send a ________ of earth and a jar of water to the King of Persia.
7. What is the color of the cloaks of the men in the army marching at the beginning of this novel?
8. How long ago was the meeting with the ephors and the oracle?
(a) Two days
(b) Two years
(c) Two weeks
(d) Two months
9. The oracle announces that Sparta will ________________.
(a) Be famous in its flames
(b) Be destroyed
(d) Be victorious
10. What is the place where the boy leads the animal called?
(a) The end of time
(b) A concave settlement
(c) A narrow wound
(d) The Hell's Gate
11. After Leonidas leaves the ephors, who emerges from the shadows to speak with the ephors?
(a) Persian infiltrator
(d) The Queen
12. What would the earth and the water have shown to the King of Persian had Leonidas sent them?
13. What does the boy fashion as he is out on his quest?
(a) A light spear
(b) A cape of red
(c) A kettle
(d) A shield from wood
14. What does the oracle inhale as she begins to talk with Leonidas about his war plans?
15. Leonidas thinks that the __________ are decrepit old men who are completely out of touch with the modern world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the ephors that Leonidas needs to visit with actually live?
2. What is the response of the ephors to the plans of Leonidas when he meets with them?
3. Which soldier succumbs to the heat, growing dizzy and stumbling around?
4. Who leads the force of Arcadian Greeks that Leonidas encounters on his way to battle?
5. The oracle also states that no Spartan army will ____________.
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)