|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tomie's mother go on New Year's Eve?
2. What sport does Buddy get equipment for at Christmas?
3. What does Tomie's mother give her kids to celebrate New Year's Eve with?
4. How does Tomie get home from school on his first day?
5. Who plows the backyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Tomie's parents do on New Year's Eve?
2. What does Tomie's father collect while working in the backyard, and why?
3. Why does Tomie choose not to go back to school after his first day of school?
4. What does Buddy get or Christmas in this book and how do they differ from Tomie's gifts?
5. How does Tomie usually measure time?
6. What does Tomie's new room look like?
7. How does Tomie help his grandfather?
8. What is the first thing Tomie asks his teacher on his first day of school?
9. How is Tomie's backyard plowed?
10. How is Tomie convinced to go back to school after his first day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tomie endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
What happened at Tomie's unfinished house, and what significance did this have on the plot? Who was involved in the scenes there, and what did these events symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tomie show his love for learning through this book?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)