|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Carol remind Tomie of?
2. What holiday does Tomie's father say they can move to the house on?
3. How does Tomie's father get rid of the weeds in the backyard?
4. Why does Tomie choose to go back to school after his first day?
5. What is Tomie's favorite comic?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tomie usually measure time?
2. What does Tomie's new room look like?
3. What is the first thing Tomie asks his teacher on his first day of school?
4. How does Tomie first meet his principal?
5. What does the plowing of Tomie's yard indicate about his area?
6. How does Tomie's father get rid of the weeds in the backyard?
7. How does Tomie's teacher respond to his first questions when starting Kindergarten?
8. What does Tomie get for Christmas in this book?
9. Where does Joe get the help he needs for the backyard project?
10. What is Tomie most excited about when he starts going to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
What happens on Tomie's first day of school, and how does he respond to this?
Essay Topic 3
Individuality and self expression were two things that were very important to some of the major characters in this book. What are some examples of this, and how did these instances alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)