|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tomie describe to move to his house?
2. When does the backyard project begin?
3. What mistake is made at the beginning of the day when the weeds are gotten rid of?
4. Why is Tomie sent somewhere during the move to the big house?
5. What does Tomie help Tom do during the big move?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tomie's mother do when things get dangerous while getting the weeds out of the backyard?
2. What is the first thing Tomie asks his teacher on his first day of school?
3. What does Tomie get for Christmas in this book?
4. How does Tomie usually measure time?
5. What does Tomie insist on before his first day of school?
6. What kind of obstacles stood in the way of the new house?
7. What does Tomie do during the big move?
8. How is Tomie's backyard plowed?
9. What danger arises when the weeds are taken out of the backyard?
10. What does the plowing of Tomie's yard indicate about his area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the ways Tomie's family showed their love to each other, and how did these displays alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
How does the autobiographical nature of this book change the tone of the book, and how do you feel about it?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)