|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tomie want to take him to school his first day?
2. What does Mrs. Crane give her kids to celebrate New Year's Eve with?
3. What does Tomie want to learn most at school?
4. What is Tomie disappointed about on his first day of school?
5. Where does Tomie go during the move to the new house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of obstacles stood in the way of the new house?
2. What does Tomie's father collect while working in the backyard, and why?
3. Why does Tomie get so excited about New Year's Eve?
4. What danger arises when the weeds are taken out of the backyard?
5. How does Tomie's teacher respond to his first questions when starting Kindergarten?
6. What does Tomie insist on before his first day of school?
7. Who is Charlie, and what does Tomie think about him?
8. How is Tomie's backyard plowed?
9. How does Tomie's father get rid of the weeds in the backyard?
10. What does Buddy get or Christmas in this book and how do they differ from Tomie's gifts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens on Tomie's first day of school, and how does he respond to this?
Essay Topic 2
Tomie endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
How was the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which characters were most affected by this?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)