|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long will Tomie have to wait to learn what he wants in school?
2. What hurts Tomie during the backyard project?
3. What mistake is made at the beginning of the day when the weeds are gotten rid of?
4. Who is home when Tomie gets home from school on his first day?
5. What sport does Buddy get equipment for at Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the plowing of Tomie's yard indicate about his area?
2. What danger arises when the weeds are taken out of the backyard?
3. How does Tomie usually measure time?
4. Where does Joe get the help he needs for the backyard project?
5. What kind of obstacles stood in the way of the new house?
6. Who is Charlie, and what does Tomie think about him?
7. What do Tomie's parents do on New Year's Eve?
8. How does Tomie help his grandfather?
9. What does Tomie insist on before his first day of school?
10. What is Tomie most excited about when he starts going to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
How do Tomie's parents show their anger, and how does this change the way Tomie deals with his own anger?
Essay Topic 3
Individuality and self expression were two things that were very important to some of the major characters in this book. What are some examples of this, and how did these instances alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)