|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nell tell Tomie to do to get the help he wants?
2. How long will Tomie have to wait to learn what he wants in school?
3. Why does Tomie choose to go back to school after his first day?
4. How does Tomie feel about starting school?
5. Who does Tomie's mother take home before checking on the house in the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tomie's new room look like?
2. How is Tomie's backyard plowed?
3. What does Buddy get or Christmas in this book and how do they differ from Tomie's gifts?
4. Who is Charlie, and what does Tomie think about him?
5. What do Tomie's parents do on New Year's Eve?
6. Where does Joe get the help he needs for the backyard project?
7. How is Tomie convinced to go back to school after his first day?
8. What does Tomie say at the end of the book?
9. What does Tomie do during the big move?
10. How does Tomie usually measure time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens on Tomie's first day of school, and how does he respond to this?
Essay Topic 2
Individuality and self expression were two things that were very important to some of the major characters in this book. What are some examples of this, and how did these instances alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Why was the hurricane in the book such a significant event in Tomie's life?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)