|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tomie's mother give her kids to celebrate New Year's Eve with?
2. What are the burlap bags used for in the backyard project?
3. What kind of doll does Carol get for Christmas?
4. What hurts Tomie during the backyard project?
5. Why does Tomie choose to go back to school after his first day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tomie's new room look like?
2. How is Tomie convinced to go back to school after his first day?
3. What does the plowing of Tomie's yard indicate about his area?
4. What is Tom's occupation?
5. How does Tomie help his grandfather?
6. What is the first thing Tomie asks his teacher on his first day of school?
7. How does Tomie first meet his principal?
8. Why does Tomie get so excited about New Year's Eve?
9. What danger arises when the weeds are taken out of the backyard?
10. How does Tomie's father get rid of the weeds in the backyard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the autobiographical nature of this book change the tone of the book, and how do you feel about it?
Essay Topic 2
How did the relationship between Joe and Floss change throughout the course of the plot, and how did these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 3
There were many different symbols present in this book. What were these symbols, and how did their presence alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)