|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tomie's mother say he shows by going back to school after his first day?
2. Who talks Tomie into going back to school after his first day?
3. Who is with Charlie when he sees the new house on the day of the move?
4. What are the burlap bags used for in the backyard project?
5. What are the brooms used for in the backyard project?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Joe get the help he needs for the backyard project?
2. What danger arises when the weeds are taken out of the backyard?
3. What does Buddy get or Christmas in this book and how do they differ from Tomie's gifts?
4. What do Tomie's parents do on New Year's Eve?
5. How is Tomie convinced to go back to school after his first day?
6. Why does Tomie choose not to go back to school after his first day of school?
7. What is Tom's occupation?
8. What kind of obstacles stood in the way of the new house?
9. What does Tomie's father collect while working in the backyard, and why?
10. How does Tomie help his grandfather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the relationship between Joe and Floss change throughout the course of the plot, and how did these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 2
What emphasis did Tomie put on movies, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the ways Tomie's family showed their love to each other, and how did these displays alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)