|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is notified when Tomie leaves school on his first day?
2. What does the storm in Chapter 7 mess up at the house?
3. How does Tomie get home from school on his first day?
4. How close is the school to Tomie's dwelling?
5. Who helps Tomie's family with the backyard project?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tomie say at the end of the book?
2. What is Tomie most excited about when he starts going to school?
3. Who is Charlie, and what does Tomie think about him?
4. What does the plowing of Tomie's yard indicate about his area?
5. What does Tomie do during the big move?
6. What do Tomie's parents do on New Year's Eve?
7. How does Tomie help his grandfather?
8. How does Tomie's father get rid of the weeds in the backyard?
9. What does Buddy get or Christmas in this book and how do they differ from Tomie's gifts?
10. How does Tomie's teacher respond to his first questions when starting Kindergarten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
There were many different symbols present in this book. What were these symbols, and how did their presence alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Why was the hurricane in the book such a significant event in Tomie's life?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)