|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the storm in Chapter 7 mess up at the house?
2. What is the last step of the backyard project?
3. Why does Tomie choose to go back to school after his first day?
4. What does Tomie's mother say he shows by going back to school after his first day?
5. Who does Nell say will help Tomie if he is pure?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Tomie convinced to go back to school after his first day?
2. How does Tomie's teacher respond to his first questions when starting Kindergarten?
3. What kind of obstacles stood in the way of the new house?
4. Why does Tomie choose not to go back to school after his first day of school?
5. What does Tomie's mother do when things get dangerous while getting the weeds out of the backyard?
6. What does Tomie's father collect while working in the backyard, and why?
7. How is Tomie's backyard plowed?
8. What does Carol get or Christmas in the book, and why?
9. How does Tomie usually measure time?
10. What does Buddy get or Christmas in this book and how do they differ from Tomie's gifts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
How does Tomie show his love for learning through this book?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)