|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mirror in Tomie's new room look like?
2. How does Tomie get home from school on his first day?
3. What hurts Tomie during the backyard project?
4. What does Tomie's father do when he hears the city will have to fix something after the storm?
5. What is Miss Burke's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tomie choose not to go back to school after his first day of school?
2. How does Tomie's father get rid of the weeds in the backyard?
3. What is the first thing Tomie asks his teacher on his first day of school?
4. What is Tom's occupation?
5. What does Carol get or Christmas in the book, and why?
6. Where does Joe get the help he needs for the backyard project?
7. How does Tomie spend New Year's Eve?
8. What kind of obstacles stood in the way of the new house?
9. How is Tomie convinced to go back to school after his first day?
10. How does Tomie's teacher respond to his first questions when starting Kindergarten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Individuality and self expression were two things that were very important to some of the major characters in this book. What are some examples of this, and how did these instances alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
How does the autobiographical nature of this book change the tone of the book, and how do you feel about it?
Essay Topic 3
Why was the hurricane in the book such a significant event in Tomie's life?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)