|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the house sprayed down during the backyard project?
2. What kind of dwelling is Tomie in when school starts?
3. What sport does Buddy get equipment for at Christmas?
4. Who does Nell say will help Tomie if he is pure?
5. What is Mickey's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tomie's teacher respond to his first questions when starting Kindergarten?
2. Where does Joe get the help he needs for the backyard project?
3. What does Tomie insist on before his first day of school?
4. What kind of obstacles stood in the way of the new house?
5. Who is Charlie, and what does Tomie think about him?
6. What does Tomie say at the end of the book?
7. What does Tomie's father collect while working in the backyard, and why?
8. What danger arises when the weeds are taken out of the backyard?
9. What does Tomie's mother do when things get dangerous while getting the weeds out of the backyard?
10. What is the first thing Tomie asks his teacher on his first day of school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was the hurricane in the book such a significant event in Tomie's life?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
How do Tomie's parents show their anger, and how does this change the way Tomie deals with his own anger?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)