|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mae West?
2. What makes Tomie mad when the walls are finished?
3. What does the cellar covering create?
4. How does Tomie include his distant family in his new house?
5. Why can't Tomie see his room when the walls are finished?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the city do all along Fairmount Avenue?
2. Why are Tomie's favorite movie stars a bit of a surprise?
3. Who is Carol Crane?
4. What is Tomie's favorite thing to in his spare time?
5. What caused the long delay in the building of the house?
6. Why does Tomie say he will never forget the year of the hurricane?
7. What is 26 Fairmount Avenue?
8. What has to be changed about the house when the City does something along Fairmount Avenue?
9. How did Nana Fall Water get her name?
10. Who has the most dramatic reaction to the hurricane, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What obstacles did the family face in the construction of their home, and how did they handle these things?
Essay Topic 2
What happened at Tomie's unfinished house, and what significance did this have on the plot? Who was involved in the scenes there, and what did these events symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Why was the hurricane in the book such a significant event in Tomie's life?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)