|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tomie include his distant family in his new house?
2. Why does Tomie get left alone when seeing his first Disney movie?
3. What does the title of the book refer to?
4. Why does the city move something out in Chapter 4?
5. What has to be taken out of the backyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tomie talk so much about the building of his new house?
2. What is Tomie's favorite thing to in his spare time?
3. How is Tomie calmed down after getting upset when the walls are finished?
4. What makes Tomie upset when the walls are finished?
5. What is Tomie's heritage?
6. What happens when there are no chocolates in the sewing box?
7. What strange and religious habit does Tomie's mother have?
8. What does Tomie's mother do for Carol Crane at the beginning of the book?
9. What does Tomie add to the walls before they are finished?
10. What is 26 Fairmount Avenue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tomie show the importance of his community? What affect does this have on the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What happens on Tomie's first day of school, and how does he respond to this?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)