|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will be built by the city on Fairmount Avenue?
2. What is Tomie's mother's name?
3. How old is Tomie's brother at the beginning of the book?
4. What color are the wrappers on what Tomie thinks is candy when he can't find any in the regular spot?
5. How does Tomie include his distant family in his new house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Tomie convinced to go back to school after his first day?
2. What bothered Tomie about the movie "Snow White"?
3. Why does Tomie say he will never forget the year of the hurricane?
4. How does Tomie feel about his heritage?
5. How does Tomie usually measure time?
6. What makes Tomie upset when the walls are finished?
7. What is included in the backyard project?
8. What strange and religious habit does Tomie's mother have?
9. What kind of obstacles stood in the way of the new house?
10. What does Tomie say at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 1
How did the relationship between Joe and Floss change throughout the course of the plot, and how did these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
How does the time period of the book change the tone and feeling of the book? Do you like this affect on the plot? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)