|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tomie mark time as a child?
2. Who does Tomie visit every Sunday?
3. What kind of natural disaster happens at the beginning of the book?
4. How many people live with Tomie at the beginning of the book?
5. What strange thing does Tomie do while seeing his first Disney movie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tomie and his family see during the natural disaster?
2. What makes the style of the beginning of the book so distinctive?
3. What is included in the backyard project?
4. What is 26 Fairmount Avenue?
5. What does Tomie like most about his favorite movie stars?
6. Who is Carol Crane?
7. What saves Tomie's house from the hurricane?
8. What happens when there are no chocolates in the sewing box?
9. How is Tomie calmed down after getting upset when the walls are finished?
10. What strange and religious habit does Tomie's mother have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Carol was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence - however brief - altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tomie show the importance of his community? What affect does this have on the plot?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)