|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men does Tomie's father get to help with the house?
2. What color is the chalk given to Tomie before the walls are finished?
3. Where does Tomie see his first Disney movie?
4. How does Tomie feel about the natural disaster that happens at the beginning of the book?
5. How old is Tomie's brother at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tomie talk so much about the building of his new house?
2. What does Tomie and his family see during the natural disaster?
3. Who has the most dramatic reaction to the hurricane, and why?
4. What makes Tomie upset when the walls are finished?
5. What caused the long delay in the building of the house?
6. How does Tomie feel about his heritage?
7. What is 26 Fairmount Avenue?
8. What is Tomie's heritage?
9. What does Tomie add to the walls before they are finished?
10. What happens when there are no chocolates in the sewing box?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tomie show the importance of his community? What affect does this have on the plot?
Essay Topic 2
How does the time period of the book change the tone and feeling of the book? Do you like this affect on the plot? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Carol was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence - however brief - altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)