|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so strange about the natural disaster that happens at the beginning of the book?
2. What does Tomie imagine each time the city takes something out?
3. What does Tomie's mother do to everyone?
4. What does Tomie want to be when he grows up?
5. Why does Buddy go somewhere during the Disney movie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tomie feel about his heritage?
2. What does Tomie like most about his favorite movie stars?
3. What does Tomie's mother do for Carol Crane at the beginning of the book?
4. Who has the most dramatic reaction to the hurricane, and why?
5. What has to be changed about the house when the City does something along Fairmount Avenue?
6. What is 26 Fairmount Avenue?
7. What makes the style of the beginning of the book so distinctive?
8. What caused the long delay in the building of the house?
9. Who is Carol Crane?
10. How is Tomie calmed down after getting upset when the walls are finished?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carol was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence - however brief - altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
What emphasis did Tomie put on movies, and why?
Essay Topic 3
There were many different symbols present in this book. What were these symbols, and how did their presence alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)