|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carol's last name?
2. What color are the wrappers on what Tomie thinks is candy when he can't find any in the regular spot?
3. What does the city move out in Chapter 4?
4. What has to be taken out of the backyard?
5. What ethnicity is Tomie's extended family on his father's side?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tomie's mother do for Carol Crane at the beginning of the book?
2. How do Tomie's parents feel about what they city is doing along Fairmount Avenue, and why?
3. What does Tomie add to the walls before they are finished?
4. What is Tomie's favorite thing to in his spare time?
5. What bothered Tomie about the movie "Snow White"?
6. Why does Tomie say he will never forget the year of the hurricane?
7. How does Tomie's father plan to finish the house after the big delay?
8. How do Tomie's parents respond to what the city is doing all along Fairmount Avenue?
9. Why does Tomie talk so much about the building of his new house?
10. What is Tomie reminded of while watching the natural disaster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tomie show the importance of his community? What affect does this have on the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Carol was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence - however brief - altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the ways Tomie's family showed their love to each other, and how did these displays alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)