|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Tomie use most to describe his family?
2. What does Tomie want to be when he grows up?
(a) A singer.
(b) A writer.
(c) A teacher.
(d) An artist.
3. Why does Tomie say he will never forget the year that this book starts out?
(a) His father died.
(b) He started school.
(c) There was a hurricane.
(d) The war started.
4. What does Tomie's mother do for him before bed?
(a) All of these.
(b) Read books.
(c) Tell stories.
(d) Say prayers.
5. How old is Tomie's brother at the beginning of the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tomie supposed to call all his grandmothers?
2. What causes Tomie to do something strange while seeing his first Disney movie?
3. How old is Tomie at the beginning of the book?
4. What does the title of the book refer to?
5. How does Tomie describe Mae West?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is included in the backyard project?
2. How does Tomie find out about the natural disaster at the beginning of the book?
3. What is Tomie's heritage?
4. How do Tomie's parents respond to what the city is doing all along Fairmount Avenue?
5. What does the city do all along Fairmount Avenue?
6. What caused the long delay in the building of the house?
7. Why does Tomie say he will never forget the year of the hurricane?
8. What makes the style of the beginning of the book so distinctive?
9. Who has the most dramatic reaction to the hurricane, and why?
10. What does Tomie add to the walls before they are finished?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)