|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the brooms used for in the backyard project?
(a) To catch bugs.
(b) To collect weeds.
(c) To spread seeds.
(d) To control the fire.
2. What does Tomie's mother give her kids to celebrate New Year's Eve with?
3. How does Tomie get hurt during the backyard project?
(a) He lifts too many rocks.
(b) Smoke gets in his eyes.
(c) He trips over some logs.
(d) A bag falls on his hand.
4. How does Tomie get home from school on his first day?
(a) He steals a bike.
(b) He takes the bus.
(c) He hires a cab.
(d) He walks.
5. Why does Tomie choose to go back to school after his first day?
(a) He likes his teacher.
(b) He can learn to draw at home.
(c) He will be switching classes.
(d) He has to go to kindergarten to get to first grade.
6. Who does Tomie want to take him to school his first day?
(b) His mother.
7. What are the burlap bags used for in the backyard project?
(a) To control the fire.
(b) To catch bugs.
(c) To spread seeds.
(d) To collect weeds.
8. What is the last step of the backyard project?
(a) Smoothing the ground.
(b) Building the fence.
(c) Planting seeds.
(d) Plowing the earth.
9. What street is the apartment on?
(a) Columbus Ave.
(b) Carlton Rd.
(c) Cambridge Ct.
(d) Carolina St.
10. What sport does Buddy get equipment for at Christmas?
11. What is the first question Tomie asks his kindergarten teacher?
(a) When he will learn to read.
(b) Why he can't sit by Carol.
(c) Where he should sit.
(d) When he will go home.
12. Why is Tomie sent somewhere during the move to the big house?
(a) To use his skills.
(b) To keep him out of the way.
(c) To make the surprise better.
(d) To help Tom.
13. Who helps Tomie's family with the backyard project?
(a) The church members.
(b) The neighbors.
(c) The builders.
(d) The co-workers.
14. What is Miss Burke's job?
15. What fixes the problem at the new house after the storm?
(a) The clouds open for a day.
(b) The ice melts.
(c) The rain stops.
(d) The mud freezes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has to be built before Tomie can see his room in the new house?
2. What does Tomie's father call the storm in Chapter 7?
3. What is the name of Charlie's girlfriend?
4. What does Tomie's mother do when she hears the city will have to fix something after the storm?
5. What kind of dwelling is Tomie in when school starts?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)